ImageImageImageImageImage

The TRADE Thread 2021

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: The TRADE Thread 2021 

Post#481 » by kalenclayton » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:12 pm

BoogieTime wrote:It was pointed out to me in the trades/transactions forum that the word "unlikely" that the Kings would deal Fox or Hali is different from wouldnt deal them...

Is that semantics, or is it truth?

Are the Kings not fully closing the door on it?

Unlikely definitely doesn’t close the door. My question is: are the Kings better with Simmons in place of Fox or Hali? It’s truly interesting. If you replace Fox with Simmons, then you don’t really sacrifice pace. Buddy becomes an integral weapon again (if used right) and the team defense improves. The biggest issue is that the Kings are left without a go-to scorer unless Buddy can channel his Oklahoma days. I see that as a big issue in the West. I don’t want to trade Fox for Simmons because of perceived trade value differences and genuine attachment, but I am looking at the replacement and I’m not having to squint to see the positives.

Trading Hali for Simmons is odd because you likely have to move Buddy with him. That takes all the 3-point shooting away from the Kings and makes this team reliant on transition. I don’t think that makes them better, regardless of the defensive intensity that would come from the perimeter (Hali, Mitchell, and Simmons… oh my gosh!).
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#482 » by BoogieTime » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:29 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:It was pointed out to me in the trades/transactions forum that the word "unlikely" that the Kings would deal Fox or Hali is different from wouldnt deal them...

Unlikely definitely doesn’t close the door. My question is: are the Kings better with Simmons in place of Fox or Hali? It’s truly interesting. If you replace Fox with Simmons, then you don’t really sacrifice pace. Buddy becomes an integral weapon again (if used right) and the team defense improves. The biggest issue is that the Kings are left without a go-to scorer unless Buddy can channel his Oklahoma days. I see that as a big issue in the West. I don’t want to trade Fox for Simmons because of perceived trade value differences and genuine attachment, but I am looking at the replacement and I’m not having to squint to see the positives.

Trading Hali for Simmons is odd because you likely have to move Buddy with him. That takes all the 3-point shooting away from the Kings and makes this team reliant on transition. I don’t think that makes them better, regardless of the defensive intensity that would come from the perimeter (Hali, Mitchell, and Simmons… oh my gosh!).

If you trade Hali, you would have a starting lineup of Fox/Simmons/Holmes/Mitchell not being proven shooters. The spacing might be way too much

I believe in Mitchell becoming a solid three point shot, but don't know if that can be anticipated, especially out of the gate

But we're speaking long term I guess, perhaps Buddy still starts over Mitchell in the interim
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#483 » by BoogieTime » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:51 pm

Amick is now saying the same thing

Neither Fox or Haliburton are on the table and talks between the Kings and Sixers are basically dead for weeks.

Oh, well. guess at this point Simmons wont be dawning Kings purple

I really don't see the Sixers taking our superfluous role players and/or picks. If Mitchell is in talks that another matter, with some picks and Buddy/Barnes, if the Sixers value them. Still not sure that would get it done. I, personally as a Mitchell fan would not like to see it but who knows the FO thinking
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,445

Post#484 » by rpa » Thu Sep 2, 2021 12:25 am

The Kings just aren't a great fit for Simmons. If they can get him at a huge discount then sure, but if it's essentially talent for talent it's probably a downgrade for them (long term at least) because the Kings aren't built well enough to hide his massive flaws.

More succinctly: you need to surround Simmons with shooting and scoring, but to get him the Kings would need to either trade scoring (Fox) or shooting (Haliburton + Hield/Barnes).
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#485 » by sacking123 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 12:41 am

kalenclayton wrote:

This is 100% spot on IMO.
Don't forget now Maxey is coming with Ben. Maxey is a horrible shooter too, but he is a decent young player already and I think he can develop into a decent long range threat. He would also add to the excitement factor. He was amazing in SL (I know SL yes) and showed what a difference 1 season in the NBA does to a young player.

The whole thing regarding whether Fox is being talked about from the Kings POV is relevant because if Fox/Hali is off the table then you can absolutely guarantee McNair is asking the 6ers to add to a Ben package if they want 1 of them. I don't think Hali would be on the table unless McNair views Buddy/Bagley as players he has to get off this roster and then the same questions come up as what kalenclayton just mentioned.
Don't discount that McNair wouldn't just go all out on his Defensive resurrection of the roster and ask for Ben/Maxey/Thybulle which would give rotation options the Kings haven't seen since the "good ole days". Now I'm certainly not saying the 6ers should or would do, and I'm not suggesting it's fair value, but say a Fox/+ for that package of players, name 1 better singular player that has been put up or rumoured in a Ben trade? There simply isn't one at all. I don't view Dame as the Trailblazer offer, it is more like CJ. The 6ers want a win now piece and they would get it in Fox with the added caveat of being only 23yo.

Hali/Davion
Buddy/Maxey
Barnes/Thybulle
Simmons
Holmes/Bagley
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#486 » by BoogieTime » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:00 am

simonbampfield wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Don't forget now Maxey is coming with Ben. Maxey is a horrible shooter too, but he is a decent young player already and I think he can develop into a decent long range threat. He would also add to the excitement factor. He was amazing in SL (I know SL yes) and showed what a difference 1 season in the NBA does to a young player.

The whole thing regarding whether Fox is being talked about from the Kings POV is relevant because if Fox/Hali is off the table then you can absolutely guarantee McNair is asking the 6ers to add to a Ben package if they want 1 of them. I don't think Hali would be on the table unless McNair views Buddy/Bagley as players he has to get off this roster and then the same questions come up as what kalenclayton just mentioned.
Don't discount that McNair wouldn't just go all out on his Defensive resurrection of the roster and ask for Ben/Maxey/Thybulle which would give rotation options the Kings haven't seen since the "good ole days". Now I'm certainly not saying the 6ers should or would do, and I'm not suggesting it's fair value, but say a Fox/+ for that package of players, name 1 better singular player that has been put up or rumoured in a Ben trade? There simply isn't one at all. I don't view Dame as the Trailblazer offer, it is more like CJ. The 6ers want a win now piece and they would get it in Fox with the added caveat of being only 23yo.

Hali/Davion
Buddy/Maxey
Barnes/Thybulle
Simmons
Holmes/Bagley

Id give true respect to McNair if he's holding the Sixers over the barrel for more than Simmons (like Maxey, and I consider Maxey a future solid starting SG). The Sixers just might be pinned to give a Ben package
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#487 » by Ell Curry » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:52 am

I think a larger deal could fit, like this:

Simmons + Harris + Milton
FOR
Fox + Barnes + Hield

76ers roll out Fox-Hield-Thybulle-Barnes-Embiid with a bench led by Maxey, Curry, Danny Green, Korkmaz and either Reed of Howard depending on matchup.

Kings have Mitchell-Haliburton-Harris-Simmons-Holmes and a Milton-Davis-Harkless-Bagley rotation.

Kings are definitely better balanced, and the 76ers get a young star who actually fits with Embiid and some reliable shooting in Hield and Barnes.
Where's the D?
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#488 » by sacking123 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:32 am

Ell Curry wrote:I think a larger deal could fit, like this:

Simmons + Harris + Milton
FOR
Fox + Barnes + Hield

76ers roll out Fox-Hield-Thybulle-Barnes-Embiid with a bench led by Maxey, Curry, Danny Green, Korkmaz and either Reed of Howard depending on matchup.

Kings have Mitchell-Haliburton-Harris-Simmons-Holmes and a Milton-Davis-Harkless-Bagley rotation.

Kings are definitely better balanced, and the 76ers get a young star who actually fits with Embiid and some reliable shooting in Hield and Barnes.

IMO one of the problems with the 6ers roster was more Harris than Ben/Joel fitting together. It's when you try and insert that 3rd wheel, in this case, Harris, that is where the major breakdown occurs.

Your trade just makes that Sacramento's problem now and there is no getting out of a problem like that, particularly when you have a contract like Harris, just signed Holmes and Ben on the hook for 4 more years. You will need to use Ben to get rid of Harris just like the 6ers are going to try and do.
If Harris was shooting 5-6 3s per game like years ago (5.3 in 18/19 POs) it helps somewhat, but at 3.4 like last year is no good. It doesn't work and will never work in the current NBA, RS yes it does, POs it doesn't.
As an example, Harris shot the ball 20% more in the POs this season but 3PA went up 5%.
Another problem is Harris is a 3rd wheel and almost taking as many shots as the #1. I'm not sure if that is by design or not, but how many do you think he would be putting up on that Kings roster which wouldn't sniff the play in even?
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#489 » by sacking123 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:41 am

BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Unlikely definitely doesn’t close the door. My question is: are the Kings better with Simmons in place of Fox or Hali? It’s truly interesting. If you replace Fox with Simmons, then you don’t really sacrifice pace. Buddy becomes an integral weapon again (if used right) and the team defense improves. The biggest issue is that the Kings are left without a go-to scorer unless Buddy can channel his Oklahoma days. I see that as a big issue in the West. I don’t want to trade Fox for Simmons because of perceived trade value differences and genuine attachment, but I am looking at the replacement and I’m not having to squint to see the positives.

Hali/Davion
Buddy/Maxey
Barnes/Thybulle
Simmons
Holmes/Bagley

Id give true respect to McNair if he's holding the Sixers over the barrel for more than Simmons (like Maxey, and I consider Maxey a future solid starting SG). The Sixers just might be pinned to give a Ben package

If the Dumas report is true Maxey may just land where Ben is.
I don't think Morey will trade them together, he would be a fool to as well because he gets no real value from a good prospect in Maxey.
And I will add to this, Klutch is pouring gas on the 6ers fire right now with the Maxey stuff. It's a threat to hurry the Ben negotiations up.
Morey now needs to orchestrate 2 deals that are going to affect the 6ers not only this season but the future as well in a short period of time.
Maxey will listen to not only Klutch but Ben as well being young. I believe he spent the summer working out with him, so he certainly has his ear.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#490 » by codydaze » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:23 pm

I, for one, am glad that we are not giving up Fox or Hali to get Simmons. The Fox/Simmons fit is terrible and I don't think replacing Fox for Simmons makes us significantly, or better at all for that matter.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#491 » by the_process » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:57 pm

For the record, Dumas already retracted the Maxey rumor. No doubt Rich Paul told Dumas that, but it didn't come from Maxey himself. It's just trying to pressure the Sixers into trading Ben faster.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,001

Post#492 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:45 am

the_process wrote:For the record, Dumas already retracted the Maxey rumor. No doubt Rich Paul told Dumas that, but it didn't come from Maxey himself. It's just trying to pressure the Sixers into trading Ben faster.

Of course it is.

Rich Paul (LeBron) has come to use this in a way that is pretty devastating to a number of franchises now.

I sincerely hope that the league owners get their collective s$@t to tether and get in the same page and hardball the next CBA to include clauses for maximum punishment for player agent interference that hit the players hard in the pocketbook.

That’s the only way that they will be able to get it under control and it can only be as a group so that they cannot be isolated and stiffed but the players and agents.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#493 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:22 am

What do you think of this 3-way deal?

Mavericks, Thunder and Kings

DAL trades Powell/Stein/Burke for Hield/Favors
Dallas absorbs salary to add one more shooter.
Doncic, Hield, Bullock, Porzingis, Kleber
Brunson, Hardaway, Smith, Favors, Brown

OKC trades Favors/Williams for Powell/Stein
Oklahoma City adds size.
Alexander, Dort, Giddey, Pokusevski, Powell
Maledon, Mann, Robinson, Muscala, Stein

SAC trades Hield for Burke/Williams
The Kings move on from Buddy to concentrate on their franchise guards. By absorbing Trey with the Joseph TPE, and absorbing Kenrich with the Bjelica TPE, they create a brand new $22.4mil TPE for future use.
Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Bagley, Holmes
Mitchell, Davis, Harkless, Williams, Len
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#494 » by kalenclayton » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:13 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:What do you think of this 3-way deal?

Oklahoma City adds size.

The Kings move on from Buddy to concentrate on their franchise guards. By absorbing Trey with the Joseph TPE, and absorbing Kenrich with the Bjelica TPE, they create a brand new $22.4mil TPE for future use.

For the Kings, I hate giving away talent, but this is so enticing from a flexibility standpoint. The TPE that gets generated here is really big and could allow for a really good opportunity. It is a bit risky though. I think the benefits outweigh the risks though. There will definitely be a short term PR hit because the Kings will ultimately miss the playoffs with a move like this (unless they use that TPE quickly).

I think Dallas is getting a great deal here, but some will hate it for them. They have THJ already and Buddy would likely come off the bench. In theory, that is one hell of a SG rotation but I could see Buddy getting irritated.

OKC seems to be getting used here. They give away a good backup center (Favors) and young prospect (Williams) for a recovering bad contract (Powell) and a meh backup center (WCS). They need more coming back to them. Maybe a couple 2nds? Remove Williams or replace him with a worse player?
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#495 » by sacking123 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:51 am

kalenclayton wrote:

Oklahoma City adds size.

For the Kings, I hate giving away talent, but this is so enticing from a flexibility standpoint. The TPE that gets generated here is really big and could allow for a really good opportunity. It is a bit risky though. I think the benefits outweigh the risks though. There will definitely be a short term PR hit because the Kings will ultimately miss the playoffs with a move like this (unless they use that TPE quickly).

I think Dallas is getting a great deal here, but some will hate it for them. They have THJ already and Buddy would likely come off the bench. In theory, that is one hell of a SG rotation but I could see Buddy getting irritated.

OKC seems to be getting used here. They give away a good backup center (Favors) and young prospect (Williams) for a recovering bad contract (Powell) and a meh backup center (WCS). They need more coming back to them. Maybe a couple 2nds? Remove Williams or replace him with a worse player?

I’m skeptical. When was the last time the Kings used a TPE in a trade that was substantial enough to upgrade the roster?

I’m not saying this isn’t a good idea, I’m skeptical someone like McNair would even try and use it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#496 » by sacking123 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:51 am

kalenclayton wrote:

Oklahoma City adds size.

I’m skeptical. When was the last time the Kings used a TPE in a trade that was substantial enough to upgrade the roster?

I’m not saying this isn’t a good idea, I’m skeptical someone like McNair would even try and use it.

Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#497 » by kalenclayton » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 am

simonbampfield wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Oklahoma City adds size.

Touché, but I’m not sure if they ever generated one that size. It’s uncharted territory with McNair, so who knows.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#498 » by sacking123 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:12 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:For the Kings, I hate giving away talent, but this is so enticing from a flexibility standpoint. The TPE that gets generated here is really big and could allow for a really good opportunity. It is a bit risky though. I think the benefits outweigh the risks though. There will definitely be a short term PR hit because the Kings will ultimately miss the playoffs with a move like this (unless they use that TPE quickly).

Touché, but I’m not sure if they ever generated one that size. It’s uncharted territory with McNair, so who knows.

Absolutely. Agree with that. At least Monte is/has looked into trades for the likes of Ben etc so that does give some hope that he is willing to explore options.
The financial savings are obvious regardless so there is that. I also don't believe we could secure a decent FA without a playoff performance, which this trade goes against.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#499 » by kb02 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 pm

Kings Out: Fox, Bagley, and Hield.

Kings In: Simmons, Dort, and Roby.

Phi Out: Simmons, Maxey, Curry, and a protected first.

Phi In: Fox and Hield.

OKC Out: Dort and Roby.

OKC In: Maxey, Curry, Bagley, and a protected first.

Trade works, per Espn Trade Machine.

Kings can run three, all nba level defenders on the court whenever they need to.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#500 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 pm

I think Curry is becoming too important a part of the 76ers for them to just throw him in on a big trade.

Kings probably still reluctant to trade Fox, who's the face of the franchise.

But look at how far Ja, another burner who is reputed to have a suspect shot, has improved in two short seasons. Ja is absolutely taking over games and can get to the rim not just with explosiveness but with some counter moves when defenders deny his first attack.

May be a good time to sell high on Fox.

Return to Sacramento Kings