ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Giants 2021

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Re: OT: Giants 2021 

Post#81 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:02 pm

They're clinging onto the division, with these 1-run wins at the last minute.

You might say clutch, you might say Kapler has a magic touch, you might say team of destiny.

I don't know if that run of timely hits continue in the playoffs.

Doesn't matter though, Giants are probably headed for a showdown with the Dodgers in the first round, with Padres fading. No team has been able to beat them since the big trades so Giants will have to be the ones.

Or it will just have been a nice, unexpectedly good season.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#82 » by tarantism » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 am

It sure does have that magical Giants feel to it. But how many times can lightning strike?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#83 » by shazam_guy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:44 pm

That's not the question. The question, as it should be during a season like this, is "What happened in the Giants game today?" just like in 2010. I am watching the scoreboards every day, which is really all you can ask for from a season. Everything else is free money.

I think this team is too deep on the offensive side not to keep winning. (Of course, I'm knocking wood as I say this.)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#84 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:38 pm

There is no more need to question ... 120+ games in we know they are good. Really good. It's not one area or another that is standing out and leading the team. They do everything well (other than run). Health is really the only thing that could make it fall apart.

What they do in the playoffs we'll just have to wait and see.
wco81
RealGM

Post#85 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 am

Scoots1994 wrote:There is no more need to question ... 120+ games in we know they are good. Really good. It's not one area or another that is standing out and leading the team. They do everything well (other than run). Health is really the only thing that could make it fall apart.

They won 3-2 today.

They're just scraping by and hanging on to the division for dear life.

6 hits and 3 runs won't cut it in the playoffs.

But maybe to management and a lot of fans, any playoffs game is just icing on the cake this year, since they've turned around 5 years of losing seasons.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#86 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:28 pm

wco81 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:There is no more need to question ... 120+ games in we know they are good. Really good. It's not one area or another that is standing out and leading the team. They do everything well (other than run). Health is really the only thing that could make it fall apart.

They won 3-2 today.

But maybe to management and a lot of fans, any playoffs game is just icing on the cake this year, since they've turned around 5 years of losing seasons.

If they get 3 runs in the playoffs and hold the opponent to 2 in every game that works out great.

We really don't know how this team will react in the playoffs because we've never seen THIS team perform this well before now either.

Yes, the Dodgers are juggernauts, but why assume they will win?
wco81
RealGM

Post#87 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:26 am

Too many easy outs on the team, vs. teams with very good pitching, which is what they will face in the playoffs.

They managed to go most of the season with all these low average/low OBP players, with all the HRs covering up for the flaws in the roster.

We can only hope Zaidi is aware of these flaws and has long-term plans to improve the lineup, which is why he wasn't willing to give up too many prospects.
Brick Layer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#88 » by Brick Layer » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:55 am

The way the Giants have played in this recent stretch of games is like trying to be upbeat about the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#89 » by Yoshi » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:05 am

wco81 wrote:Too many easy outs on the team, vs. teams with very good pitching, which is what they will face in the playoffs.

They managed to go most of the season with all these low average/low OBP players, with all the HRs covering up for the flaws in the roster.

We can only hope Zaidi is aware of these flaws and has long-term plans to improve the lineup, which is why he wasn't willing to give up too many prospects.

He’s aware of it - if anything he’s developing the farm while making this team financially healthy for the long haul. A lot of their players are having career to almost career years and they’ve played remarkably over their heads. The problem is that guys such as Gausman are starting to regress towards the mean. Posey clearly needs to take some time off and get healthy. They were in 1st for around 109 days or something like that which is remarkable given the overall ceiling of the team. They need to clear some deadwood (Longoria, Cueto, Dickerson, Brebbia, etc) but they have a few keepers on this team.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#90 » by Yoshi » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:09 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

They won 3-2 today.

If they get 3 runs in the playoffs and hold the opponent to 2 in every game that works out great.

We really don't know how this team will react in the playoffs because we've never seen THIS team perform this well before now either.

Yes, the Dodgers are juggernauts, but why assume they will win?

Scherzer left today’s game so that could effect them. What concerns me about the Giants is that close to 50% of their run total is generated by the long ball, and their WS teams of the past were excellent in manufacturing runs. This is not that team and that concerns me - the Giants in 2000 hit a bunch of HRs but couldn’t manufacture squat against the Mets, and these guys remind of them minus the HOFish talent that was Bonds and Kent
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
wco81
RealGM

Post#91 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:18 am

Though the first WS, they had a couple of journeymen get hot, hit a lot more HRs than they were expected to, like Renteria and one other guy.

Another WS, Scutero was hitting all over.

They need guys to get hot but there's a lot of low average hitters on this team.
Brick Layer
Junior

Post#92 » by Brick Layer » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:23 am

Reality is finally rearing its ugly head for the Giants.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#93 » by watch1958 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 10:07 am

While they are behind the Dodgers, they need to push for a waiver wire trade.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by shazam_guy » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:13 pm

Their first bad stretch. Don't anyone hurt themselves jumping off the bandwagon, okay?
wco81
RealGM

Post#95 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 11:43 am

Good win vs. the Dodgers.

With 27 games left, Giants would have to win 17-18 games to maintain their current winning percentage or go 17-10 or 18-9.

That would put them around .637 with just over 103 wins.

Looking at remaining schedules, Giants have 10 games vs. Padres and Dodgers have 6 games vs. the Padres.

Seems like Dodgers are also facing other WC contenders in the Cards and Reds, in addition to the two series vs. the Padres. They also face the Brewers but it's the last series of the season so Brewers may not have much to play for, unless the Giants and Dodgers both falter and they have a shot at getting the best record in the NL.

Giants aren't facing as many WC contending teams but they have 6 games at Colorado, which could wreck the pitching staff.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/lad

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/sf

But it wouldn't be surprising if it takes at least 105 games to win the division.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by shazam_guy » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:17 pm

It's September and the Gs still have the best record in the majors, and the other close teams are the Dodgers, with a ridiculously larger salary base, and the Rays, known as one of the best-run teams in baseball.

Reasons to be excited, not depressed. Whatever happens the rest of the way, this has been a great year for Giants fans.

PS Oh, and for the first time in years, a bunch of exciting prospects in the pipeline, too.
wco81
RealGM

Post#97 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 1:45 pm

Not depressed. Just wondering if they're missing an opportunity.

I'm sure for Zaidi this was to be a transition year, with all the 1-year contracts he signed for the pitchers and then looking to get a lot of big contracts off the books.

Posey and Crawford had huge starts so they got short extensions for now. Who knows what he plans to do with Belt.

But Cueto could be gone, probably Bryant too.

So he wasn't going to go for rentals or go all-in for this season. If he's confident in his long-term plan, that's a defensible move.

But I think of the season the Giants went to the WS vs. the Angels and how they blew it. They weren't expected to make the WS then so some fans thought that's fine, we'll be back because this team wasn't suppose to go to the WS. Well I don't think they ever went back the rest of the time Bonds was on the team.
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#98 » by ClutchUp » Sun Sep 5, 2021 5:41 pm

I think the biggest takeaway from this season is Logan Webb. It's pretty huge the Giants have developed another young controllable top of the rotation starter. It gives them a lot more flexibility going forward.

I think it also puts less pressure on them to have to overpay Kevin Gausman who's really declined over the second half of season. Starting pitchers who have to rely so heavily on one pitch kind of scare me when it comes to committing to them with a long term deal.
Brick Layer
Junior

Post#99 » by Brick Layer » Sun Sep 5, 2021 6:24 pm

ClutchUp wrote:I think the biggest takeaway from this season is Logan Webb. It's pretty huge the Giants have developed another young controllable top of the rotation starter. It gives them a lot more flexibility going forward.

I think it also puts less pressure on them to have to overpay Kevin Gausman who's really declined over the second half of season. Starting pitchers who have to rely so heavily on one pitch kind of scare me when it comes to committing to them with a long term deal.

The Giants are going to need to upgrade their rotation and add at least two to three quality starters to their starting rotation even if they resign Gausman if the team expects to contend for their division next season. Cueto is done.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#100 » by SFrush » Sun Sep 5, 2021 9:35 pm

ClutchUp wrote:I think the biggest takeaway from this season is Logan Webb. It's pretty huge the Giants have developed another young controllable top of the rotation starter. It gives them a lot more flexibility going forward.

Agreed. Gausman has an ERA heading north of 5 since the all star break. If hitters aren't falling for his splitter he's really nothing special. Webb has more ways to get you out with the sinker, changeup and slider. They all have late movement too.

Return to Golden State Warriors