ImageImageImageImageImage

Unvaccinated Warriors players won't be allowed in Chase Center

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Unvaccinated Warriors players won't be allowed in Chase Center 

Post#1 » by Old_Blue » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:01 am

Golden State Warriors players who haven't received a COVID-19 vaccine won't be allowed to play in their home arena without an exemption, The Athletic's Shams Charania reports.

Per the report, local regulations in San Francisco bar unvaccinated players from even entering Chase Center without an approved medical or religious exemption. The NBA has informed the team that those laws indeed apply to players.

Visiting players who aren't vaccinated, however, will be allowed to play, per the report. Why visiting players don't face the same standards as home players isn't clear.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-unvaccinated-nets-knicks-warriors-players-wont-be-allowed-to-play-in-home-arenas-221836256.html
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Unvaccinated Warriors players won't be allowed in Chase Center 

Post#2 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:13 am

Inb4 clyde embarrasses himself.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:29 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Inb4 clyde embarrasses himself.

but i wanna sit with u guys at the cool kids table
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#4 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:32 am

clyde21 wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Inb4 clyde embarrasses himself.

but i wanna sit with u guys at the cool kids table

Don't mind my gentle ribbing.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#5 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:00 am

It also sounded like unvaccinated players would also be banned from practice or training facilities?

So basically impossible for unvaccinated players to be on the team, because if they can't play at Chase or go to train/practice, they can't really do anything.

But I don't understand why visiting players would be exempt from the no unvaccinated players at Chase rule.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#6 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:11 am

wco81 wrote:It also sounded like unvaccinated players would also be banned from practice or training facilities?

So basically impossible for unvaccinated players to be on the team, because if they can't play at Chase or go to train/practice, they can't really do anything.

But I don't understand why visiting players would be exempt from the no unvaccinated players at Chase rule.

I agree on all parts, and have no problem with the first 2 sentences. This is a matter of public health, not just individual freedom.

So the exemption for visiting players is inconsistent, and should be changed.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#7 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:32 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
wco81 wrote:It also sounded like unvaccinated players would also be banned from practice or training facilities?

I agree on all parts, and have no problem with the first 2 sentences. This is a matter of public health, not just individual freedom.

So the exemption for visiting players is inconsistent, and should be changed.

The NBA can't change it, it's written into the SF Health Department Order. There are some requirements, though.
From the Order:
Performers or players who are not employed by the Business, governmental entity, or other organization hosting the event (e.g., members of visiting teams and independent performers not employed by the host) are not covered by this Section, but are strongly encouraged to be Fully Vaccinated before playing or performing in San Francisco. If they are not, they are required to:

• Remain at least six feet away from members of the public for the entire duration of the event;
• Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test (nucleic acid or antigen) taken within the 48 hours before the event;
• Wear a Well-Fitted Mask at all times except while actively performing or playing.
• They will not be able to enter the indoor portion ... except areas required for them to perform or play.

https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/files/C19-07-Safer-Return-Together-Health-Order.pdf
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#8 » by tarantism » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:53 am

Good. Everybody should be vaccinated, it's ridiculous at this point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#9 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:02 pm

I really hope San Francisco puts their foot down on this and demands all visiting players be vaccinated. Making an exception for NBA players is embarrassing.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#10 » by Mob Byers » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:02 pm

~99.97 recovery rate, that is all
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#11 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:22 pm

Mob Byers wrote:~99.97 recovery rate, that is all

Whether that number is accurate or not, it's irrelevant to a more salient point:

Continuing to spread the virus (whether an individual recovers or not) allows greater opportunity for the virus to mutate into variants that are more contagious and more deadly.

It's a public health issue, it's not just about what it does to the individual who doesn't care if they contract it or not.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#12 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:41 pm

Explain that to the families of the 4.5 million people in the world who have died from Covid.
Old_Blue
Starter

Post#13 » by Old_Blue » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:07 pm

If you're going to toss out random numbers, please know what you're talking about.

A reported 2% of folks who get Covid will not only die from it but also have Covid listed as the cause of death on their death certificate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

However, not all people who get Covid and subsequently die from complications of the virus will have Covid listed as their primary or even secondary cause of death. I am all too intimately aware of this fact.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

The present situation is similar to the early to mid 1990s, when so many folks throughout the world were dying of HIV/AIDS. At the time, I was working my first job out of undergrad. I was a life insurance claims fraud investigator. Every day, I had a stack of life insurance claims and related death certificates on my desk and it was my job to determine which were contestable and if so, on what legal and/or contractual grounds. I hardly ever found cases of fraud, a sliver of 1%. Despite their claims being payable though, some deaths stood out. Murders stood out (not marrying a murderer is always a good idea). Foolish behavior stood out (wear your helmet while mountain biking). But, the high number of deaths due to pneumonia among young men in their 20s and 30s also stood out. I didn't know why I was seeing this until I asked a more senior investigator. Her response was quick. "They're dying of AIDS. The doctors are just sparing their families the shame." This lines up with the recent death of a guy I knew. He was 49 years old. His obit listed his cause of death as pulmonary embolism. When I subsequently spoke to his wife, she acknowledged that he had contracted Covid and had ended up with severe blood clots. Perhaps the doctor felt he was sparing the family by not listing Covid as either the primary or secondary cause of death. Sadly, the toll of Covid is higher than what is being reported. Anecdotally, we know this. Statistically, we also know this due to the jump in what are referred to as "excess deaths" during the pandemic.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

The other factor to consider is that recovery from Covid isn't simply a matter of avoiding being among the dead. This is especially the case if you are not vaccinated. Somewhere between 10% and 30% of all folks who were not vaccinated and who contracted Covid will suffer some kind of long term effects, including:

Fatigue
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Cough
Joint pain
Chest pain
Memory, concentration or sleep problems
Muscle pain or headache
Fast or pounding heartbeat
Loss of smell or taste
Depression or anxiety
Fever
Dizziness when you stand
Worsened symptoms after physical or mental activities

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

There are options to avoid death and long term complications of Covid. Sticking your head in the sand is not one of them. Get educated. And, no, listening to a Joe Rogan podcast is not educating yourself. Then, take some kind of precautions, if not for you, then for your family, friends, community and country. We are all literally in a fight for our lives. We can and will get through this. There will even be room to laugh and smile throughout. We've just got to be smart about how we conduct ourselves.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Mob Byers
Rookie

Post#14 » by Mob Byers » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:17 pm

Yawn, people die every day

The precious Trump vaccine doesn't prevent spread, when are you guys going to get over it? Go to the gym, eat healthy, and live your life. Or continue bitching about a virus that is endemic and living in fear while eating garbage. It's really your choice, just stop being Nazi's thanks.
Old_Blue
Starter

Post#15 » by Old_Blue » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:20 pm

Mob Byers wrote:Yawn, people die every day

The precious Trump vaccine doesn't prevent spread, when are you guys going to get over it? Go to the gym, eat healthy, and live your life. Or continue bitching about a virus that is endemic and living in fear while eating garbage. It's really your choice, just stop being Nazi's thanks.

Thanks for contributing to the conversation in such an informed and articulate manner. :lol:
Mob Byers
Rookie

Post#16 » by Mob Byers » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:23 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
Mob Byers wrote:Yawn, people die every day

Thanks for contributing to the conversation in such an informed and articulate manner. :lol:

There's no conversation to be had bud, we live in different worlds. Have fun being afraid to leave the house for the rest of your life.

ps look up endemic
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#17 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:24 pm

Wow...it didn't take long to get to "Nazis."
Mob Byers
Rookie

Post#18 » by Mob Byers » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:27 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Wow...it didn't take long to get to "Nazis."

I just know if they started arresting non vaccinated folks people like you would display Nazi behavior by turning in your own friends and family. At least it comes off that way.

ps to you too look up "endemic"
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#19 » by Jester_ » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:39 pm

Americans are so weird. Never thought vaccines for a respiratory virus would somehow become a political issue about freedom. Can't wait till we're all speaking Mandarin.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Old_Blue
Starter

Post#20 » by Old_Blue » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:41 pm

Mob Byers wrote:Have fun being afraid to leave the house for the rest of your life.

The irony here is that you're the one who's afraid - Afraid to properly educate yourself. As a result, you subscribe to various canards that reinforce your own need to stay in your happy place. Ignorance is bliss.

Return to Golden State Warriors