ImageImageImage

Who's At The Bottom Of The Depth Chart? Who's The 15th Best Player On This Team?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Who's At The Bottom Of The Depth Chart? Who's The 15th Best Player On This Team? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:04 pm

My guess is Tyrell Terry. If not him, then Moses Brown.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Re: Who's At The Bottom Of The Depth Chart? Who's The 15th Best Player On This Team? 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:59 pm

Mavs are short on guards, and have 4 centers ahead of Brown, it's Brown.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Re: Who's At The Bottom Of The Depth Chart? Who's The 15th Best Player On This Team? 

Post#3 » by leolozon » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:14 pm

I wish it was Boban. I like the guy, but every time he's on the floor, the team is acting like he's the second coming of Hakeem and Luka feeds him like crazy. The offense becomes stagnant and the defense is atrocious. He wasn't even efficient last year and I'm pretty sure the Mavs turn the ball more than average with those telegraphed passes to Boban.

I would rather see Brown on the floor than Boban, that's for sure.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#4 » by fuller4379 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 pm

Trey Burke is useless.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:19 pm

lets see based on last years ppg
1. Luka 27.7 ppg 8.6apg 8rpg
2. KP 20.1ppg 8.9rpg
3. THJ 16.6 ppg
4. Brunson 12.6ppg
5. Bullock 10.9ppg
6. DFS 9.8ppg
7. Brown, Moses 8.6ppg 8.9rpg
8. Brown, Sterling 8.2ppg
9. Kleber 7.1ppg
10. Trey Burke 6.6ppg
11. Dwight Powell 5.9ppg
12. WCS 5.3ppg 4.3rpg
13. Boban 4.7ppg 3.9rpg
14. Green 2.6ppg
15. Terry 1ppg
16. Eugene Rookie
17. Onu Rookie
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#7 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:40 am

Moses Brown should be better than WCS, Boban and Dwight immediately, I expect him to play significant time.
I hope Terry and Green can improve their game making Burke the 15th.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Sep 2, 2021 12:27 am

Boban in certain situations against certain matchups is as dominant player that can do some great things so he is worth keeping at 2nd or third string for emergency use. We almost beat LAC with him as the starting center. Plus he is Jokic's buddy too and a great recuiter.

If Brown does get his game to Boban level on offense and rebounding then I will be happy because his blocking ability is fairly well proven to be top tier aready and that kind of defense will help KP out and get us another big to pair with him so that we can use size advantages to cause other teams trouble with our twin tower attack.

Luka THJ and DFS and others need to work on perimeter defense to take that to the next level.

I wonder how tall is the tallest pair of bigs currently in the league. Boban and KP may have been number 1 but is Brown at 7'2" and KP at 7'3" still the tallest? We are ranked as having the tallest team in the NBA this season

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/5-tallest-teams-nba-right-now/2

https://sportytell.com/nba/tallest-nba-players-all-time/

Boban, KP and Brown are all listed in the top 30 all time tallest players in NBA history
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#9 » by JJP » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:26 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:Moses Brown should be better than WCS, Boban and Dwight immediately, I expect him to play significant time.

He's not better than any of these centers now. I think this is just wishful thinking. The guy is considered soft and has no real shot outside a dunk or a put-back.

He may get rotation minutes if he learns to defend the rim well or rebound like a madman, but there's no reason at present to think he just squeezes in ahead of the other centers. All of our centers have had several years of court experience.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#10 » by ejs78 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#11 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 8:31 am

JJP wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Moses Brown should be better than WCS, Boban and Dwight immediately, I expect him to play significant time.

He's not better than any of these centers now. I think this is just wishful thinking. The guy is considered soft and has no real shot outside a dunk or a put-back.

He may get rotation minutes if he learns to defend the rim well or rebound like a madman, but there's no reason at present to think he just squeezes in ahead of the other centers. All of our centers have had several years of court experience.

Neither do any of the other 3. Granted Boban has a shot but can't defend a statue. I think minutes at the 5 are an open battle given that Rick specific preferences for Dwight might be out the window now. I thought Brown played with great energy when we played OKC last year.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Sep 3, 2021 11:23 am

Stats indicate Brown is the better player to use at center next to KP. His youth, mobility and size give him an advantage over the existing talent we have. WCS is a horrible rebounder that does not help us keep other teams from getting extra looks. He is behind Boban in my estimation of existing talent.

We dont need Brown's offense with how we play but he has that inside game to keep other teams honest and not cheating off the center so he is a decent enough fit to create an advantage for the shooters. He has great hands and we need a guy that can score inside on dunks since KP is out on the 3 point shot perimeter so often. Blocks seem to be a strength he has as well. When a big who is slow plays us we can start Boban but as we face more mobile centers Brown is the choice.

Brown as a bench player would make him enjoy major match up advantages over lesser talents so there is that to look at as well. How will other teams try to counter his game is also something we need to see.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#13 » by JJP » Fri Sep 3, 2021 11:43 am

Thank god for Youtube. We might have missed Brown's talent ceiling.

I hope some fans can convince NBA scouts and coaches that we have this figured out.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#14 » by ejs78 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:16 pm

JJP wrote:Thank god for Youtube. We might have missed Brown's talent ceiling.

I hope some fans can convince NBA scouts and coaches that we have this figured out.

The Moses Brown hype is unreal

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#15 » by Teffer10 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:17 pm

ejs78 wrote:

When fans hang their hopes on guys like Brown, it is a clear indicator the FO did virtually nothing to improve the team in the offseason.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#16 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:25 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:

When fans hang their hopes on guys like Brown, it is a clear indicator the FO did virtually nothing to improve the team in the offseason.

Sad but true.

Dragic at least could change something..
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#17 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Sep 3, 2021 10:40 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:

I like that they got Bullock, but yeah, they didn't do enough. Moses and Sterling Brown are cool and all, but won't factor into the lineup a whole lot.

They'll have to make some trades and/or sign some guys that get bought out or something.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#18 » by Darren » Sat Sep 4, 2021 1:14 am

If the Mavs is truely interested in IT or LS, why not Frank Ntilikina then? Frank always guard Luka well. The rests of Frank's game is still underdeveloped. If the Mavs is interested in IT, why not giving Terry minutes. I'd opt for Ntilikina over Stephenson. Lance was good players with questionable attitude in the past. LS can defend so is Frank.
Darren
RealGM

Post#19 » by Darren » Sun Sep 5, 2021 12:56 am

Not to mention that the Mavs struggled against random PG. J-Rich fails to be even average defender against random PGs. So is Brunson and Burke. With DFS's expiring in mind, I lane towards Ntilikina over Stephenson. I know the Mavs target Dragic. But Dragic is also not known as any stopper type and is 35 yo already. The Mavs still has troubles guarding those type of players.

Until proven otherwise, I don't find the Doncic at PG experiment fascinating. Coz this makes the Mavs preoccupied with paint defense and allow way too many open looks on the perimeter. This is the source of problem on the defense end. A PG stopper is actually needed.

In the first year, KP is fine defensively due to less complicated role as the Mavs stick to more traditional lineup with Seth Curry. Curry is underrated defensively. Curry is clearly better than all PG on the roster defensively. Obviously, besides DFS, there's no player on roster that could guard PGs. This makes Reggie Jackson look like legit star in playoff.

Another problem with the big lineup is usage on Maxi Kleber. Kleber fits the 5 role much better than the 4 role. This takes away the production on both end of the floor. The big lineup clearly doesn't work. But the Mavs target Bullock and Brown. I find this ridiculous.

If the Mavs still stick to the big lineup without key addition, then the Mavs is nowhere close to be effective defensively against good teams.
Darren
RealGM

Post#20 » by Darren » Sun Sep 5, 2021 1:19 am

I understand the fascination with Moses Brown. Brown could somewhat solve the rebounding issue without giving up too much points in paint. Besides Boban, there's clearly no good rebound upfront. Moses could help in the right role. Brown, potentially, is better shot-blocking wise compared to KP. I don't think the Mavs should part with Moses for a 35 yo Dragic. I believe Moses is way ahead to 15th status on roster.

The two-way contract status is also questionable moves. Letting go of Hinton and Bey is kinda bad moves. I have a lot of concerns with the new management. Sounds incompetent to me after all those offseason moves. Adding Dragic doesn't solve any key issues forward besides pleasing Luka. Still, defense wins championship. The big lineup is the real issue. This present unfavorable matchup to the Mavs more than the opponents last season.

Return to Dallas Mavericks