ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Board COVID-19 Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Re: Wizards Board COVID-19 Thread 

Post#161 » by tontoz » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:17 pm

Anti-vaxxers forced a mobile COVID-19 vaccine site in Georgia to shut down after threatening health workers: official

Georgia's health department chief said workers at state COVID-19 vaccination events have been the victims of "threats."

One mobile inoculation site had to shut down due to "bullying," Dr. Kathleen Toomey said, according to The Telegraph.

"This is wrong, this is absolutely wrong," Toomey said. "These people are giving their lives to help others."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-vaxxers-forced-mobile-covid-172909779.html

:crazy:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#162 » by dobrojim » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:56 pm

This is arguably a problem, a major problem. Violence in response to political disagreements.

Putin is lovin' it.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#163 » by Kanyewest » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:12 pm

Texas anti-mask ‘Freedom Defender’ dies of COVID at age 30

Jessica Wallace said her husband got sick in late July, but “was so hard-headed.”

“He didn’t want to see a doctor, because he didn’t want to be part of the statistics with COVID tests,” she said.

He then tried unproven ivermectin — a livestock dewormer that has been denounced by the FDA — high doses of vitamin C, zinc aspirin and an inhaler, the Standard-Times reported.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/08/texas-anti-mask-freedom-defender-dies-of-covid-at-age-30.html
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#164 » by DCZards » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:38 pm

dobrojim wrote:This is arguably a problem, a major problem. Violence in response to political disagreements.

Putin is lovin' it.

Anti-vaxxers preventing others from being vaccinated. That’s more than “arguably a problem.” It’s a crime…at least it should be.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#165 » by tontoz » Wed Sep 1, 2021 8:23 pm

What would possess someone to actively discourage people from getting a free shot that could potentially save their lives? I don't get it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#166 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:41 pm

tontoz wrote:
Anti-vaxxers forced a mobile COVID-19 vaccine site in Georgia to shut down after threatening health workers: official

Georgia's health department chief said workers at state COVID-19 vaccination events have been the victims of "threats."

One mobile inoculation site had to shut down due to "bullying," Dr. Kathleen Toomey said, according to The Telegraph.

"This is wrong, this is absolutely wrong," Toomey said. "These people are giving their lives to help others."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-vaxxers-forced-mobile-covid-172909779.html

:crazy:

I'd like to think something like that can't happen here - in the USA, but... apparently it can and does. I'm not sure what the proper response is, but I think it begins with making sure there are laws to prevent it and prosecuting offenders to the full extent of the law.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#167 » by dobrojim » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:00 pm

DCZards wrote:
dobrojim wrote:This is arguably a problem, a major problem. Violence in response to political disagreements.

Putin is lovin' it.

Anti-vaxxers preventing others from being vaccinated. That’s more than “arguably a problem.” It’s a crime…at least it should be.

I suppose my thought was what is the appropriate response or sanction
to these violent extremists? Being charged and tried for criminal behavior
seems like a reasonable first step. That, even in the face of the fascists
describing insurrectionists as political prisoners.

A second realm where sanctions need to be enacted are for doctors
and lawyers, we’re already seeing this for lawyers, to lose their status
for being willfully irresponsible. Doctors prescribing invermectin for
Covid treatment should lose their medical licenses.

Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#168 » by Kanyewest » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:06 pm

tontoz wrote:What would possess someone to actively discourage people from getting a free shot that could potentially save their lives? I don't get it.

It seems like these groups will use contrarian arguments that supports their belief in politics, lifestyle, or general perception. Being anti science basically assumes that the liberals are wrong- political arguments are more often framed by these groups by how my side is right and the other side is wrong- more similar to sports fandom than an actual honest questioning of reality. Then these views get spread through social media by people who have similar predispositions.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#169 » by dobrojim » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:20 pm

tontoz wrote:What would possess someone to actively discourage people from getting a free shot that could potentially save their lives? I don't get it.

Money. Lots of people make a good living grifting about COVID-19.
Until following their own beliefs puts them on the wrong side of
the grass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/conservative-talk-radio-covid-deaths/2021/08/31/a912a89c-0a66-11ec-aea1-42a8138f132a_story.html

Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#170 » by Kanyewest » Thu Sep 2, 2021 7:09 pm

A business asking for a Covid Vaccination is subject to a $5,000 fine in Florida.

https://www.news4jax.com/business/2021/09/01/ask-for-covid-vaccine-proof-face-a-5000-fine-in-florida/
tontoz
RealGM

Post#171 » by tontoz » Thu Sep 2, 2021 8:04 pm

I didn't even know grifting was a word. Had to look it up. :lol:
tontoz
RealGM

Post#172 » by tontoz » Fri Sep 3, 2021 1:15 am

At my hospital, over 95% of COVID-19 patients share one thing in common: They’re unvaccinated.

As an emergency medicine and critical care doctor at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, I’ve lost count of the number of COVID-19 surges since the U.S. pandemic began in Seattle in February 2020. But this one feels different. The patients are younger. They have fewer preexisting medical conditions. And at my hospital, over 95% of these hospitalized patients share one common feature: They’re unvaccinated.

https://news.yahoo.com/hospital-over-95-covid-19-122253397.html
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:04 pm

From ESPN:

Washington Nationals vice president Bob Boone has informed the team that he will resign instead of complying with a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for all non-uniformed employees, a source confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday.

He's 73 years old... and I know he's got family (Aaron and Brett). I guess he figures they don't need him... or he's senile.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#174 » by queridiculo » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:42 pm

:lol: what a brave soul.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#175 » by tontoz » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:01 pm

Ivermectin? So people don't want to take the vaccine but they want to take a drug used on livestock?

You can't make this sh** up.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:36 pm

The one and only smart thing that Joe Rogan said:
“I’m not a doctor,” Rogan said, according to the BBC in April. “I’m not a respected source of information, even for me.”

Thing is - he ignored his own advice there and probably encouraged others to do the same - which isn't just irresponsible. And why did he do that - while understanding he had no knowledge? Thats' gotta be the ultimate in being a narcissistic moron.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#177 » by dckingsfan » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:54 pm

There are three basic kinds of false information. Misinformation is false, but not created or shared with the intent to cause harm. Malinformation is based on fact, but used with insufficient context so as to mislead, harm, or manipulate. Disinformation is deliberately created to mislead, harm, or manipulate a person, social group, organization, or country.

and

Now let’s have a look at a classic bit of disinformation. An anti-vax publication carefully designed to look like a legitimate journalistic endeavor published an article headlined as follows. “Official data reveals 67% of Covid-19 deaths since February 2021 have been people who were vaccinated.”

Big if true.

However, the latest research shows that unvaccinated Americans (consisting of about 48 percent of the population) are about 29 times more likely to be hospitalized with Covid-19 than those who are fully vaccinated while Covid deaths among the vaccinated are exceedingly low (.000945 percent). The CDC explains the data slightly differently: approximately 99.5 percent of Covid-19 deaths in the United States are among unvaccinated people. Other research and data come to the same general conclusion.

So how was the disinformation created and spread?

The alleged source of the “67 percent” claim is a recent periodic report from Public Health England and relates to British cases (anti-vaxxers have made similar false claims when earlier editions of the release were published by PHE). However, they assume their target audience won’t read it.

The report does show more fully vaccinated (679) than unvaccinated (390) deaths over the period covered, and further shows about 2/3 of Covid deaths among the partially or fully vaccinated, but only among patients suffering from the delta variant, not all Covid patients.

So the anti-vax article refers to less than one percent of the more than 132,000 total Covid deaths in the UK while seeming to claim it relates to all Covid deaths over the relevant period instead of only the delta variant deaths. Data on deaths by vaccination status for all other coronavirus strains are not yet available.

https://betterletter.substack.com/p/the-better-letter-darwins-sweet-spot
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#178 » by dckingsfan » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:The one and only smart thing that Joe Rogan said:
“I’m not a doctor,” Rogan said, according to the BBC in April. “I’m not a respected source of information, even for me.”

Thing is - he ignored his own advice there and probably encouraged others to do the same - which isn't just irresponsible. And why did he do that - while understanding he had no knowledge? Thats' gotta be the ultimate in being a narcissistic moron.
Proverbs 18:2 gets it right: “A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.”
tontoz
RealGM

Post#179 » by tontoz » Fri Sep 3, 2021 5:50 pm

I like Joe but he does have issues where he has his mind set. He wont accept any criticism of cops, is strongly pro gun and now this.

In general he is very open minded and will have people on his show that are far right or far left. He had Abby Martin on in july.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#180 » by WallToWall » Fri Sep 3, 2021 5:51 pm

Thoughts on the Mu variant?
If it is indeed defeats the effects of the vaccine, we are back to square one.

Return to Washington Wizards