ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ Barrett entering year 3

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Re: RJ Barrett entering year 3 

Post#121 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:07 am

Synciere wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Synciere wrote:I’m waiting for that game where he dominates and wills us to victory against a contender or some shyt. Then I’m waiting for him to do it again. That’s when I’ll be a full believer in RJ. The day he drops 43 against the Nets in a back and forth with Harden and KD or something. While I appreciate his slow and steady demeanor and energy, I need that explosion.

Well you ain't gonna get it. I'd be happy if he were a Jimmy Butler type. From what I see that's a best case scenario.

Jimmy Butler has definitely dominated games and controlled the outcome for his team. His career high is 50-something lol. He’s been the go to point guard for his teams the last half decade. Jimmy Butler would be an AWESOME outcome.

And I listed him cause he had to build it though, wouldn't you say? The guys you mentioned sortve, I never wanna say born into greatness cause all these guys work hard on thier craft, but they came into the league as phenoms and seemingly destined players. Jimmie didn't have thier talent level coming in and I feel like RJ could take a path like that. I didn't mean to disrespect Butler in fact I very much respect him. But it evolved over time.
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#122 » by Juggynaut » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:49 am

People have to remember Jimmy Butler came into the league as a 21 year old rookie too. So if you compare RJ's upcoming season as a 21 year old to Jimmy Butler's rookie season, it won't even be close.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#123 » by dakomish23 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:07 pm

F N 11 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:He is the cornerstone upon which our next championship will be built.

How many unbelievers have already been shut down?

Read on Twitter

:o Tatum looking for RJ off curls.

Trade for him when he becomes available. We’d be unstoppable
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#124 » by cgf » Thu Sep 2, 2021 9:16 pm

Juggynaut wrote:People have to remember Jimmy Butler came into the league as a 21 year old rookie too. So if you compare RJ's upcoming season as a 21 year old to Jimmy Butler's rookie season, it won't even be close.

Certainly true, but precocity isn't the same thing as potential and players develop at different rates, so that doesn't tell us too much about when RJ will stop developing. No one should write off the possibility of him becoming the next Butler / Middleton / Beal, but we really just don't know how much higher he will rise.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#125 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:03 am

By Grimes 3rd year, he'll be better than RJ
Separatista
RealGM
And1: 6,659

Post#126 » by Separatista » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:37 am

thebuzzardman wrote:By Grimes 3rd year, he'll be better than RJ

Skipping the grimes vs. Mcbribe, or rookie vs. Sophomore debate I see. Going straight to ____ vs. RJ, very progressive.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,614

Post#127 » by stuporman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:17 am

RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

Just a casual glance at the number of games a bunch of those others guys played in their first two NBA seasons and are clearly under the age of 21 shows that RJ has played possibly the least number of games of anyone on that list.

From the handful of those others I checked the second lowest number of games was played by Luka who had 10 more games than RJ and it's not like he missed many games, it was a quirk of two seasons being cut short because of covid.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#128 » by cgf » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:02 pm

stuporman wrote:RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

Just a casual glance at the number of games a bunch of those others guys played in their first two NBA seasons and are clearly under the age of 21 shows that RJ has played possibly the least number of games of anyone on that list.

From the handful of those others I checked the second lowest number of games was played by Luka who had 10 more games than RJ and it's not like he missed many games, it was a quirk of two seasons being cut short because of covid.

A) those types of stats can be used to put anyone on a pedestal...insert graphic showing that Thad Young's only peers are LeBron, Magic & Bird here.

B) that's all about precocity rather than potential...how you start rather than how high you rise.

Again I think RJ has the tools & drive to turn himself into a star the way Butler, Middleton, & Beal did, but we can't put too much weight on where he is already...as plenty of athletes in countless sports have hit the ground running only to stagnate before becoming a star.

For now I am just going to enjoy tracking his growth, which hopefully won't end any time soon.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,177

Post#129 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:47 pm

In three years you’ll be reduced to posting exclamation marks and holding sham hostage in your basement
ImageImageImage
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 685

Post#130 » by -YogiBiz- » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:08 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

In three years you’ll be reduced to posting exclamation marks and holding sham hostage in your basement

Assuming he hasn't already abducted Sham.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#131 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:27 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I'm inside of Sham's cell which is inside of GreenArrow's cell
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,177

Post#132 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:56 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I'm inside of Sham's cell which is inside of GreenArrow's cell

Holy freaking nested Russian doll psychosis !!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImage
stuporman
RealGM

Post#133 » by stuporman » Fri Sep 3, 2021 6:16 pm

cgf wrote:
stuporman wrote:RJ is on a list of like 8 players that have accumulated a certain set of stats before the age of 21 which I can't exactly recall what they were at the moment but the list includes LeBron, Kobe, Carmelo, Tatum, Doncic and a couple others.

A) those types of stats can be used to put anyone on a pedestal...insert graphic showing that Thad Young's only peers are LeBron, Magic & Bird here.

B) that's all about precocity rather than potential...how you start rather than how high you rise.

Again I think RJ has the tools & drive to turn himself into a star the way Butler, Middleton, & Beal did, but we can't put too much weight on where he is already...as plenty of athletes in countless sports have hit the ground running only to stagnate before becoming a star.

For now I am just going to enjoy tracking his growth, which hopefully won't end any time soon.

My main point stemmed from me thinking about how RJs first two seasons were cut short because of covid and how it related to that random stat so I did a little research to find out he probably had the least amount of games played under 21 to get those stats.

It had nothing to do with trying to put him in any class with NBA greats or anything, It was the amount of production he has achieved at such a young age even considering he hasn't had as many possible games played because of the shorter seasons, that's about it.

Take it for what it's worth.
Image?
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#134 » by N Y K » Sun Sep 5, 2021 4:15 pm

MOAR plz

Read on Twitter
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#135 » by DowNY » Sun Sep 5, 2021 9:48 pm

Growth spurt rumors true?
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#136 » by BKlutch » Mon Sep 6, 2021 2:52 pm

DowNY wrote:Growth spurt rumors true?

I'm not quite sure, but RJ is the kind of guy who really grows on you.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#137 » by knickabocker88 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:24 am

Other Message Boards / Social Media - Very polarizing opinions on RJ.

Porzingis pre injury made the leap, from year 2 to year 3. Alot of people didn't see it coming, so the precedent is there.

If RJ makes the leap then this team will be going places but he hasn't established himself as an untouchable.

Tyreke Evans was on one those lists, it means nothing
stuporman
RealGM

Post#138 » by stuporman » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:21 am

knickabocker88 wrote:Other Message Boards / Social Media - Very polarizing opinions on RJ.

Porzingis pre injury made the leap, from year 2 to year 3. Alot of people didn't see it coming, so the precedent is there.

If RJ makes the leap then this team will be going places but he hasn't established himself as an untouchable.

Tyreke Evans was on one those lists, it means nothing

That wasn't the point so try reading it again because your reply means nothing.
Image?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,567

Post#139 » by Fat Kat » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:31 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#140 » by DaGawd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:17 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

LFG
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks