ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,914

Re: OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc. 

Post#521 » by knickabocker88 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:50 am

br7knicks wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:Sold my Disney and put it in VOO a few months ago. My lie is imbalanced, over weighted but I'm not gonna rebalance and just continue to deposit 500 every paycheck

Voo - Trying to get this at 50 % of my pie
Nusi - Target set at 17%
Blackrock - Target set at 10%
Apple - Trying to get it down to 10% currently 35% of my pie

2-3% of Amex, Microsoft, UnitedHealth

i'm about to sell my nusi after their august dividend comes out - i haven't seen them declare it, but usually they would have by now.

i hold 400 of QYLD, and 100 of RYLD. my mistake was that QYRLD and NUSI pretty much have similar holdings, but QYLD is cheaper per dividend.

NUSI stock price will probably be worth more in 10 years vs QYLD despite the difference in yield.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#522 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:18 am

knickabocker88 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:Sold my Disney and put it in VOO a few months ago. My lie is imbalanced, over weighted but I'm not gonna rebalance and just continue to deposit 500 every paycheck

Voo - Trying to get this at 50 % of my pie
Nusi - Target set at 17%
Blackrock - Target set at 10%
Apple - Trying to get it down to 10% currently 35% of my pie

2-3% of Amex, Microsoft, UnitedHealth

i'm about to sell my nusi after their august dividend comes out - i haven't seen them declare it, but usually they would have by now.

i hold 400 of QYLD, and 100 of RYLD. my mistake was that QYRLD and NUSI pretty much have similar holdings, but QYLD is cheaper per dividend.

NUSI stock price will probably be worth more in 10 years vs QYLD despite the difference in yield.

It might be. I know it's the safer bet that isn't as volatile, compared to qyld. But qyld just won't move much anyway. I only have it for the passive income.

I saw the general consensus is that nusi is the safer bet, as it won't move during bulls or bears, but is consistent
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#523 » by Garbagelo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Just saw Steph Curry in an NFT project's chat room (Bored Apes Yacht Club) lol
br7knicks

Post#524 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:57 pm

Stannis wrote:.

what's your take on the holdings of arkQ. i have some money i just pulled out of a bunch of **** stocks from my robinhood. thinking of either dumping all of it into arkq, or just taking that ETF's top holdings as my old quasi-ETF

i do have 100 shares of ARKx. my brother says that that is the one to go with, as it has the potential for the most growth, but the riskiest. plus, it helps that shares are still around $21
RIP, magnumt '19

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,768

Post#525 » by Stannis » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:40 am

br7knicks wrote:

what's your take on the holdings of arkQ. i have some money i just pulled out of a bunch of **** stocks from my robinhood. thinking of either dumping all of it into arkq, or just taking that ETF's top holdings as my old quasi-ETF

i do have 100 shares of ARKx. my brother says that that is the one to go with, as it has the potential for the most growth, but the riskiest. plus, it helps that shares are still around $21

I'm really not that knowledgeable in the ARK ETFs.

Just like per share stock price, I wouldn't look at the per share ETF price. It's meaningless.

Garbagelo likes them a lot, and he's a wise guy.

I will say a couple of things. If I were to buy a ARK ETF, I would just buy ARKK and just continue to dollar-cost-average. The ARK ETFs have a lot of overlap for the most part, especially between ARKK, ARKQ, and ARKW.

ARKX probably has the best value out of all the ARK ETFs. ARKX holds a lot of defense stocks. It's the most unique out of all the ARK ETFs.

Here's a list of all ARKX holdings:
https://ark-funds.com/wp-content/fundsiteliterature/holdings/ARK_SPACE_EXPLORATION_&_INNOVATION_ETF_ARKX_HOLDINGS.pdf

As you can see, they don't even hold Virgin Galactic anymore. But they also have Netflix lol.

I've been considering adding ARKG because I want to get into the genomics sector but I know nothing about it.
Free Palestine
br7knicks

Post#526 » by br7knicks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:06 am

Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Just like per share stock price, I wouldn't look at the per share ETF price. It's meaningless.

I will say a couple of things. If I were to buy a ARK ETF, I would just buy ARKK and just continue to dollar-cost-average. The ARK ETFs have a lot of overlap for the most part, especially between ARKK, ARKQ, and ARKW.

ARKX probably has the best value out of all the ARK ETFs. ARKX holds a lot of defense stocks. It's the most unique out of all the ARK ETFs.

https://ark-funds.com/wp-content/fundsiteliterature/holdings/ARK_SPACE_EXPLORATION_&_INNOVATION_ETF_ARKX_HOLDINGS.pdf

As you can see, they don't even hold Virgin Galactic anymore. But they also have Netflix lol.

I've been considering adding ARKG because I want to get into the genomics sector but I know nothing about it.

thanks man.

my question was more about a strategy. what i was wondering was, what do you think of taking some of the top holdings with the greatest growth potential and investing in them individually versus dumping it all into an entire ETF.

i've been thinking of making a new pie in my M1 Finance account where i'm going to take a lot of the individual ARKs and investing in them instead of the whole ETFs
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#527 » by br7knicks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:07 am

Garbagelo wrote:Just saw Steph Curry in an NFT project's chat room (Bored Apes Yacht Club) lol

Stannis wrote:I'm really not that knowledgeable in the ARK ETFs.

what's your take?

i have 100 in ARKX in my TD Ameritrade account.

but i have a high percentage in my M1 Finance dedicated towards ARKF and ARKQ
RIP, magnumt '19

Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,805

Post#528 » by Spree2Houston » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Congrats to anyone in here who bought Solana when it was 50 cents. You made it !
Stannis
RealGM

Post#529 » by Stannis » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:26 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

thanks man.

my question was more about a strategy. what i was wondering was, what do you think of taking some of the top holdings with the greatest growth potential and investing in them individually versus dumping it all into an entire ETF.

i've been thinking of making a new pie in my M1 Finance account where i'm going to take a lot of the individual ARKs and investing in them instead of the whole ETFs

That's a tough question for me.

Personally, I would rather just invest in ARK ETFs instead of trying to pick and choose individual stocks from the ARK ETFs.
Free Palestine
br7knicks

Post#530 » by br7knicks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 pm

Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Stannis wrote:

thanks man.

That's a tough question for me.

Personally, I would rather just invest in ARK ETFs instead of trying to pick and choose individual stocks from the ARK ETFs.

yeah, that's what i've been doing and is generally the safest.

but my cousin, who is younger than me, started with nothing, and now has 7 figures to his name (albeit, mostly due to the amount of bitcoin he bought years ago), said that this is how he's been beating the market, especially with the the ARK ETFs.
RIP, magnumt '19

Stannis
RealGM

Post#531 » by Stannis » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:20 pm

br7knicks wrote:yeah, that's what i've been doing and is generally the safest.

but my cousin, who is younger than me, started with nothing, and now has 7 figures to his name (albeit, mostly due to the amount of bitcoin he bought years ago), said that this is how he's been beating the market, especially with the the ARK ETFs.

Kudos to your cousin!

I usually follow Warren Buffett's and Peter Lynch's methodology. People will call it "boomer investing", but I think it's the best strategy for long term success.

I try to beat the average return in order make stock picking worth it over index fund investing. I'm currently beating the NASDAQ by 10% since I started. Considering all the time I've put in, I'm not sure if it was worth it haha.

I wish I was as smart as your cousin who probably has a mind for Crypto. Personally, I don't and still don't understand it. Which is why I just slowly buy Bitcoin and Ethereum and kind of buy and hold it like I would gold and silver. Both assets are not something I actively trade, but it's something I know I want allocated to my portfolio for long-term gains and risk management.

If you want to pick individual stocks that outperform ARK and other popular ETFs, ideally, you want to catch them early before they get into the popular ETFs. I got lucky with a few names like Enphase and Sea Limited. I don't think it's as easy to grab whatever Cathie just picked up for her ARK ETFs.I thought about doing this for a stock I was watching which was $AQB. It eventually popped after it go into Cathie's ARKG. So I thought that was a huge buy signal but I didn't buy (thankfully). It dropped like crazy.

Don't go chasing and big swings without thorough research. I'm embarrassed to admit I lost a good amount of money on penny stocks and option trading trying to catch up to guys like your cousin and fellas I saw on Reddit. That's money I could have added to my obvious winners and I'd be up a lot more than I am now. This isn't to say don't go in hard for a stock you researched and you feel good about. You should definitely tech some risk if you are taking the time and effort to pick individual stocks. I'm just saying don't try to play catchup to guys like your cousin and people you see on the internet. You've said it yourself, he got in Bitcoin years ago. That's hard to catch up to and the average investor is more likely to dig their own grave than get those kind of returns.

I recommend reading Peter Lynch's book: One Up On Wall Street.

Just my opinion
Free Palestine
br7knicks

Post#532 » by br7knicks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:35 pm

Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:yeah, that's what i've been doing and is generally the safest.

Kudos to your cousin!

I usually follow Warren Buffett's and Peter Lynch's methodology. People will call it "boomer investing", but I think it's the best strategy for long term success.

I try to beat the average return in order make stock picking worth it over index fund investing. I'm currently beating the NASDAQ by 10% since I started. Considering all the time I've put in, I'm not sure if it was worth it haha.

I wish I was as smart as your cousin who probably has a mind for Crypto. Personally, I don't and still don't understand it. Which is why I just slowly buy Bitcoin and Ethereum and kind of buy and hold it like I would gold and silver. Both assets are not something I actively trade, but it's something I know I want allocated to my portfolio for long-term gains and risk management.

If you want to pick individual stocks that outperform ARK and other popular ETFs, ideally, you want to catch them early before they get into the popular ETFs. I got lucky with a few names like Enphase and Sea Limited. I don't think it's as easy to grab whatever Cathie just picked up for her ARK ETFs.I thought about doing this for a stock I was watching which was $AQB. It eventually popped after it go into Cathie's ARKG. So I thought that was a huge buy signal but I didn't buy (thankfully). It dropped like crazy.

Don't go chasing and big swings without thorough research. I'm embarrassed to admit I lost a good amount of money on penny stocks and option trading trying to catch up to guys like your cousin and fellas I saw on Reddit. That's money I could have added to my obvious winners and I'd be up a lot more than I am now. This isn't to say don't go in hard for a stock you researched and you feel good about. You should definitely tech some risk if you are taking the time and effort to pick individual stocks. I'm just saying don't try to play catchup to guys like your cousin and people you see on the internet. You've said it yourself, he got in Bitcoin years ago. That's hard to catch up to and the average investor is more likely to dig their own grave than get those kind of returns.

I recommend reading Peter Lynch's book: One Up On Wall Street.

Just my opinion

that's awesome you're kicking ass. i'm just getting into investing way too late - mid 30s and just starting out, other than Roth IRA i started at 18

yeah, he went big on bitcoin in the early 2010s. but now he's all about ethereum and says it's the one that has a chance to outperform bitcoin - that's the main reason i've been putting money into ETH and ETC.

i tried my hand at option calling and pennystocks. they're the ones i recently got rid of because i don't think it's worth it - so dont feel bad, i'm right there with ya.

i'll see about that book because i've looked into a few. rich dad, poor dad.
RIP, magnumt '19

Stannis
RealGM

Post#533 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:00 am

DOT has been getting a lot of talk recently and has been on a huge runup. I wonder how long it goes up?

Wish I bought more at $11 lol. What a steal that was.
Free Palestine
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,914

Post#534 » by knickabocker88 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:31 am

aq_ua wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:I'm sure you already know, but Apple and Microsoft are two the largest holdings within VOO, and Disney, Blackrock, AMEX and UNH are also part of the constituents, so you're automatically getting exposure to them each time you invest in VOO. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there's no need to add any exposure via individual stock purchases.

I Still want to outperform the S&P. And if I want to reach my Fire Aspirations faster albeit maybe a little more riskier

https://www.aqr.com/Insights/Perspectives/The-Long-Run-Is-Lying-to-You
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/famaandfrenchthreefactormodel.asp

Have you considered factor investing if you are comfortable taking incremental risk for returns? There are so many idiosyncratic events that can effect a single stock (basically uncompensated risk), while statistically speaking 95% of portfolio returns can be explained through the factor model. You can also implement these strategies fairly cheaply by sticking to ETFs and rebalancing yourself.

There is so much academic and analytical support that points to one of a few combinations of diversified portfolios being the most optimal investment strategy for the average investor that I tend to believe the question around which types of assets to invest in is essentially resolved. The bigger questions should be more about what exactly does that FIRE aspiration look like, what is a realistic time horizon for that given expected returns, how do you tax plan in the most optimal way, what is your failsafe, etc.

I'm a federal employee, so I can hedge a little bit.

If I make it and work until 57 and 62, I should have a 401K that should be worth north 1.5 million, a Federal Pension plan that should pay me about 4000-6000 a month and Social Security pay me another 2500 a month as long as I breathe.

Whats the point in having a nest egg if you cant enjoy it now.

Hopefully this bull market continues for another 10 years, I'm late in the game and I have a wedding that I'm paying for now. Just putting 500-600 every paycheck into the M1 pie.

The younger me didnt contribute to my 401k plan that had employee stock purchase program and a match.

The things you learn and understand at 33 that was never taught at 23.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,178

Post#535 » by aq_ua » Wed Sep 1, 2021 3:01 am

knickabocker88 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:
I Still want to outperform the S&P. And if I want to reach my Fire Aspirations faster albeit maybe a little more riskier

https://www.aqr.com/Insights/Perspectives/The-Long-Run-Is-Lying-to-You
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/famaandfrenchthreefactormodel.asp

Have you considered factor investing if you are comfortable taking incremental risk for returns? There are so many idiosyncratic events that can effect a single stock (basically uncompensated risk), while statistically speaking 95% of portfolio returns can be explained through the factor model. You can also implement these strategies fairly cheaply by sticking to ETFs and rebalancing yourself.

There is so much academic and analytical support that points to one of a few combinations of diversified portfolios being the most optimal investment strategy for the average investor that I tend to believe the question around which types of assets to invest in is essentially resolved. The bigger questions should be more about what exactly does that FIRE aspiration look like, what is a realistic time horizon for that given expected returns, how do you tax plan in the most optimal way, what is your failsafe, etc.

I'm a federal employee, so I can hedge a little bit.

If I make it and work until 57 and 62, I should have a 401K that should be worth north 1.5 million, a Federal Pension plan that should pay me about 4000-6000 a month and Social Security pay me another 2500 a month as long as I breathe.

Whats the point in having a nest egg if you cant enjoy it now.

Hopefully this bull market continues for another 10 years, I'm late in the game and I have a wedding that I'm paying for now. Just putting 500-600 every paycheck into the M1 pie.

The younger me didnt contribute to my 401k plan that had employee stock purchase program and a match.

The things you learn and understand at 33 that was never taught at 23.

Totally get it, and the peace of mind that comes from having a secure pension is rarity these days, so good for you.

There's no absolute truths in these things - I just raise the obvious questions, because that's the analysis I went through myself (I'm 43 so a decade ahead) and continue to go through. I grew up with almost a fear of money, because I saw my parents go from enjoying a comfortable lifestyle to having things repossessed, so preparing for the worst became a core philosophy for me. Only in the last few years with having younger children that I've focused more on new experiences together and allowing money to provide this.

Nowadays, my core philosophy is more around sustainability - of lifestyle, of spending habits, of savings habits, of thoughtfulness around the purpose, utility and value of having money. All of which is an intensely personal attribute and not one that can be prescribed.

I do believe, however, there are sort of broader facts that demystify and simplify concepts around money. The existence of "true alpha" or the ability to consistently beat the market is largely false. It's easy to get sucked up into the "other guy made a bunch of money on..." syndrome, which is basically tantamount to investing in an asset that has already run up and therefore offers lower expected returns, but also a significant amount of thought space that gets dedicated to an activity that doesn't really add value in the long run. Hence, the data driven conclusion that broad index ETF investing is the way to go to maximize utility. Unless of course the act of chasing new investment ideas provides utility or happiness - which certainly does seem to be the case for some.

Just one thing to consider though - because I see this a lot - is to think about the future purchasing power of a fixed payout figure. $100,000 received 30 years from now, assuming 2.5% inflation per annum, is worth less than $50,000 today from a purchasing power perspective. Are you ok with that or do you need to plan to fill that gap at all? This isn't meant to scare or cause concern - because human beings are amazingly adaptive creatures and will figure out ways to make things work not matter what. It's more about taking advantage of the abundance of time you have ahead of you (you are definitely not late to the game) to prepare and avoid any unnecessary surprises.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#536 » by Stannis » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:42 pm

I'm not a smart as you guys, but I think a new asset class will be something like this:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/rent-a-robot-silicon-valleys-new-answer-labor-shortage-smaller-us-factories-2021-08-26/?utm_source=reddit.com

Or at least kind something treated like a AI/Robotic trust similar to REITs.

If I can easily "rent a robot", I'd be allocating at least 20% of my portfolio into this. Getting a little crackpot-ish, but this is one of the reasons I got into Crypto. Not sure if it's possible, but as labor jobs fall due to AI and robots, I kind of pictured humans using Crypto coins to insert into a robot to prove ownership and generate income.
Free Palestine
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#537 » by N Y K » Sat Sep 4, 2021 4:23 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:Congrats to anyone in here who bought Solana when it was 50 cents. You made it !

Read on Twitter

how does that woody allen quote go... 80% of success is showing up :lol:
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#538 » by N Y K » Sat Sep 4, 2021 4:28 pm

I'm definitely the most boring investor out of all of you, but I do miss not "showing up" over the last two years. Like, I'm definitely up, but could have been FORREALL UP.

Riding this wave with some serious risk has proven to be the move... almost like, the less you know about markets the better...

maybe better said, the less experience you've had with bear markets, actual losers, and previous market conditions, the better. :lol:

Gambling mode in effect.
br7knicks

Post#539 » by br7knicks » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:11 pm

N Y K wrote:I'm definitely the most boring investor out of all of you, but I do miss not "showing up" over the last two years. Like, I'm definitely up, but could have been FORREALL UP.

Riding this wave with some serious risk has proven to be the move... almost like, the less you know about markets the better...

maybe better said, the less experience you've had with bear markets, actual losers, and previous market conditions, the better. :lol:

Gambling mode in effect.

i bet i'm more boring than you. most of my money goes towards my vanguard roth IRA, and my M1 finance/robinhood is mostly growth ETFs.

i only have a few ETH, a handful of ETC, and a bunch of ADA. those are my risks, and that's about it.

i do regret making my time to buy more ETH at $1500, as it got to about $1700 and has been going up ever since. I definitely missed out on that.
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#540 » by br7knicks » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:13 pm

Stannis wrote:I'm not a smart as you guys, but I think a new asset class will be something like this:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/rent-a-robot-silicon-valleys-new-answer-labor-shortage-smaller-us-factories-2021-08-26/?utm_source=reddit.com

Or at least kind something treated like a AI/Robotic trust similar to REITs.

If I can easily "rent a robot", I'd be allocating at least 20% of my portfolio into this. Getting a little crackpot-ish, but this is one of the reasons I got into Crypto. Not sure if it's possible, but as labor jobs fall due to AI and robots, I kind of pictured humans using Crypto coins to insert into a robot to prove ownership and generate income.

this is awesome. thank you for this.

i have quite a few REITs (AGNC, MFA, NRZ, along with NLY, CTT and RWT), but i might want to dabble is this. ARKX might not have enough robotics holdings for me at the moment
RIP, magnumt '19

Return to New York Knicks