ImageImageImage

Is Larry Nance Jr a Starting PF?

Moderator: ijspeelman

GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Is Larry Nance Jr a Starting PF? 

Post#1 » by GOBlazers » Fri Sep 3, 2021 9:57 pm

Blazer fan here, excited about getting Nance. Blazers desperately need a starting PF. (Covington is a SF)

Cavs fans know him best. I see he's recently played starters minutes, and had a PER around 18.

Is he a starting PF? Would he start on most teams?

Thanks, and good luck to you this season.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Re: Is Larry Nance Jr a Starting PF? 

Post#2 » by JonFromVA » Fri Sep 3, 2021 11:22 pm

The issue isn't whether he starts or comes off the bench, it's how many minutes you throw at him and how well he's able to manage his Crohn's. It's probably easier to manage all of that with him coming off the bench?

But the Cavs were playing him big minutes early last season until he fractured his thumb. Did Crohn's contribute to that? No clue.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#3 » by GOBlazers » Fri Sep 3, 2021 11:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:The issue isn't whether he starts or comes off the bench, it's how many minutes you throw at him and how well he's able to manage his Crohn's. It's probably easier to manage all of that with him coming off the bench?

But the Cavs were playing him big minutes early last season until he fractured his thumb. Did Crohn's contribute to that? No clue.

Thanks for your reply. I'm good with the ~ 30 mpg Nance has played the past few years. I'm wondering how well he plays against NBA starting units. Would he be outmatched most nights? If his skills are best suited for the bench, is there hope of him developing into a starter soon?
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#4 » by toooskies » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:57 am

GOBlazers wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:The issue isn't whether he starts or comes off the bench, it's how many minutes you throw at him and how well he's able to manage his Crohn's. It's probably easier to manage all of that with him coming off the bench?

Thanks for your reply. I'm good with the ~ 30 mpg Nance has played the past few years. I'm wondering how well he plays against NBA starting units. Would he be outmatched most nights? If his skills are best suited for the bench, is there hope of him developing into a starter soon?

He should be able to start. He has “glue guy” skills— he’s in the right place, makes the right pass, deflects passes, etc. He isn’t going to post up anybody or find his own shot, but he’s developing as an outside shooter and does fine in the pick and roll. He’ll fill the box score, can switch to defend some on the perimeter and make the rest of the team look good.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:17 pm

toooskies wrote:
GOBlazers wrote:

He should be able to start. He has “glue guy” skills— he’s in the right place, makes the right pass, deflects passes, etc. He isn’t going to post up anybody or find his own shot, but he’s developing as an outside shooter and does fine in the pick and roll. He’ll fill the box score, can switch to defend some on the perimeter and make the rest of the team look good.

Larry has good length, hops and dunks well, so between that and his passing he should be able to exploit the defensive attention focused on your guards. While Larry is just 6'7.5" (bare feet) he has a 7'1.5" wingspan and a 9' standing reach.

There have been so many other defenders to exploit on the Cavs, defenses didn't waste their time trying to pick on Larry.

His minutes may need to be dialed back to the 20 to 26mpg range that he'd played his entire career up to last season, but he's going to have a far better idea how to manage himself than any of us. The thing is, the more competitive the games are, the more he's going to want to stay in them. Not actually knowing much about how Larry deals with Crohn's on a day to day or game to game basis, this is just a lot of conjecture on my part.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#6 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Sep 5, 2021 7:18 pm

GOBlazers wrote:Blazer fan here, excited about getting Nance. Blazers desperately need a starting PF. (Covington is a SF)

Cavs fans know him best. I see he's recently played starters minutes, and had a PER around 18.

Is he a starting PF? Would he start on most teams?

Thanks, and good luck to you this season.

GOBlazers wrote:

His skill level isn’t an issue. There’s no exploitable hole like size, speed, length…. He’s the big version of RoCo, does all the little things and makes matchups easier.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 9:18 pm

Durability is the only issue. He has the talent to be a good starter at PF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#8 » by FranchisePlayer » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:03 pm

His first pre-season game wasn't exactly a calling card to qualify as a starting PF.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers