ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA IV

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Around the NBA IV 

Post#1861 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:20 pm

I'm hearing the Lakers haven't fully committed to Marc Gasol for this season yet. Could he be the vet we attach Wiseman to in order to learn the tricks of the trade?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,243

Post#1862 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:03 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:I'm hearing the Lakers haven't fully committed to Marc Gasol for this season yet. Could he be the vet we attach Wiseman to in order to learn the tricks of the trade?

That's what coaches are for, especially Milojevic. No need to use a roster spot.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,565

Post#1863 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:03 am

King Tolly????

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#1864 » by Old_Blue » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:25 am

Cavs, Love Making Progress Toward Buyout

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/cavs-love-making-progress-toward-buyout.html

Won't affect us though. Myers is hiding under his desk. :lol:
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#1865 » by DevinVassell » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:14 am

Old_Blue wrote:Cavs, Love Making Progress Toward Buyout

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/cavs-love-making-progress-toward-buyout.html

What do you actually like about the Warriors?
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#1866 » by Old_Blue » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:05 am

The Chronicle seems to think the Warriors might have a chance. That being said, this is old news.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Could-Warriors-convince-Kevin-Love-to-join-them-16297108.php

If Love does join the Warriors though, it'll apparently be because of Draymond.

“Obviously, with Draymond, it’s a love-hate relationship, but we’ve become actually pretty close friends over the past few years,” Love said. “I love how he competes, his mind for the game, his intangibles, how he leads the break. He passes, he plays defense, and it seems like he’s always in the right spot.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,895

Post#1867 » by whatisacenter » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:33 am

I guess I like this for the Bulls?
Read on Twitter
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#1868 » by FNQ » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:50 am

whatisacenter wrote:I guess I like this for the Bulls?
Read on Twitter

I like it for CHI and POR value wise. Blazers gave up a meh piece, a lotto protected 1st, and a projected early 2nd for Nance, which is about where youd think his value is

Bulls get a 1st, an early 2nd, and a meh player for a guy who they never intended to keep, and likely wouldnt have matched if he had received a decent offer in FA

Cavs get a guy who CHI essentially bailed on, at 16-17m/year for Larry Nance and a 2nd, and I think they were way better off just keeping Nance. I dont understand this at any level for them, much like I've not understood most of their rebuilding. They have 2 combo guards, one who they are trying to get rid of because he's basically another Monta.. they drafted a low-upside/medium floor wing in Okoro last year, they gave 100m to Jarrett Allen who's a solid enough big but isn't that good defensively.. what are they going for here? They are basically a worse version of the Pelicans across the board, a team full of poor defenders with one good one

I have the Cavs pegged as a bottom 5 team next year in the 20-25 win range, and I honestly dont see a team with less to be excited about right now, besides maybe Detroit
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#1869 » by FNQ » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:51 am

Old_Blue wrote:Cavs, Love Making Progress Toward Buyout

Slow, oft-injured C that is entering the last couple years of his career and is a horrible fit.. bring him in!

I'd rather have Bjelica
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#1870 » by Mob Byers » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:18 pm

Kevin Love got kicked off team USA because he was out of shape. Unless that’s changed, it’s a no. And even if it has changed and he is in better shape, not sure there’s even room for him here.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#1871 » by giberish » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:24 pm

Love won't give back any money on a buyout - probably because he knows he's only getting vet min money form anyone else.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1872 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:37 pm

giberish wrote:Love won't give back any money on a buyout - probably because he knows he's only getting vet min money form anyone else.

Nobody really gets more than vet min the year of the buyout because of the way the NBA does it. Love won't get more money from someone paying him more.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#1873 » by giberish » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:51 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
giberish wrote:Love won't give back any money on a buyout - probably because he knows he's only getting vet min money form anyone else.

Nobody really gets more than vet min the year of the buyout because of the way the NBA does it. Love won't get more money from someone paying him more.

That depends on waiver vs buyout. If waived I think you get the full money, but if you then sign a new contract that counts against the old money you're owed. In a buyout new contract money generally doesn't count against the old money you're owed (or perhaps that can be negotiated as part of the buyout) but you generally don't get all the money from the original contract (otherwise you'd just be waived).

If Love was confident he could make $15M for this year and next he could agree to a buyout that was $15M less then his old contract, get freedom and not lose money. Love expects only vet min deals so he's only willing to give back 2xvet min money in a buyout. This leaves Cleveland with little motivation to actually agree to a buyout.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1874 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:51 am

giberish wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

That depends on waiver vs buyout. If waived I think you get the full money, but if you then sign a new contract that counts against the old money you're owed. In a buyout new contract money generally doesn't count against the old money you're owed (or perhaps that can be negotiated as part of the buyout) but you generally don't get all the money from the original contract (otherwise you'd just be waived).

If Love was confident he could make $15M for this year and next he could agree to a buyout that was $15M less then his old contract, get freedom and not lose money. Love expects only vet min deals so he's only willing to give back 2xvet min money in a buyout. This leaves Cleveland with little motivation to actually agree to a buyout.

Not quite. There is no difference in the payout whether waivers or buyout. In a buyout, the player and team agree to reduce or eliminate guaranteed salary. The player is then placed on waivers (at his original contract price) and, if he clears waivers. the contract is reduced. At this point the team can elect to stretch the cap hit.

If he signs with another team (whether a buyout or straight waivers) an amount is "set-off," both from his salary and the cap hit to the original team, by a formula. The amount is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran during the season in which the player is waived. (This goes for any signing, including international.)

In practice, virtually all buyouts sign for a minimum.
S-Gorilla86
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#1875 » by S-Gorilla86 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:48 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
giberish wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Not quite. There is no difference in the payout whether waivers or buyout. In a buyout, the player and team agree to reduce or eliminate guaranteed salary. The player is then placed on waivers (at his original contract price) and, if he clears waivers. the contract is reduced. At this point the team can elect to stretch the cap hit.

If he signs with another team (whether a buyout or straight waivers) an amount is "set-off," both from his salary and the cap hit to the original team, by a formula. The amount is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran during the season in which the player is waived. (This goes for any signing, including international.)

That is interesting, does that mean the Warriors don't have an advantage with the TPMLE if they theoretically wanted to go after Rondo?

Sent from my LM-V600 using RealGM mobile app
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1876 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:57 pm

S-Gorilla86 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
giberish wrote:

That is interesting, does that mean the Warriors don't have an advantage with the TPMLE if they theoretically wanted to go after Rondo?

Whoever signs him it will be a minimum deal. Woj says Lakers when he clears waivers on Monday.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1877 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:02 pm

S-Gorilla86 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
giberish wrote:

Correct ... the same as pretty much all big buyout/unclaimed waiver/stretch situations.
S-Gorilla86
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#1878 » by S-Gorilla86 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:51 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
S-Gorilla86 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Correct ... the same as pretty much all big buyout/unclaimed waiver/stretch situations.
Ok that's good to know. What about Kemba this year though? He was bought out and signed for 2 years, 16 mil with NY. Was the additional $ just to incentivize OKC to complete the buyout?

It seems like players can leave $ on the table (4 million in the Kemba example) but aren't able to make more than their initial contract, which makes sense.

xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1879 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:46 pm

S-Gorilla86 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
S-Gorilla86 wrote:That is interesting, does that mean the Warriors don't have an advantage with the TPMLE if they theoretically wanted to go after Rondo?

Ok that's good to know. What about Kemba this year though? He was bought out and signed for 2 years, 16 mil with NY. Was the additional $ just to incentivize OKC to complete the buyout?

It seems like players can leave $ on the table (4 million in the Kemba example) but aren't able to make more than their initial contract, which makes sense.

It does look like Kemba will make about 4 mil less this year than his original contract, but there's nothing to say a player can't make more. It all depends on how much they give up and how much they sign for. Usually, though, they sign for about what it takes to come out even.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#1880 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Sep 4, 2021 6:39 pm

Old_Blue wrote:The Chronicle seems to think the Warriors might have a chance. That being said, this is old news.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/Could-Warriors-convince-Kevin-Love-to-join-them-16297108.php

If Love does join the Warriors though, it'll apparently be because of Draymond.

“Obviously, with Draymond, it’s a love-hate relationship, but we’ve become actually pretty close friends over the past few years,” Love said. “I love how he competes, his mind for the game, his intangibles, how he leads the break. He passes, he plays defense, and it seems like he’s always in the right spot.

If the Love-Dray relationship is a love-hate relationship... You guess who's the hate part

Return to Golden State Warriors