ImageImageImageImageImage

Simmons: Yes or No?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Yes, landing Ben Simmons would be huge, go for it Masai
31%
GTFO Simmons is overrated and a cancer, do not want
69%

Total votes: 251

lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#1 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:15 pm

This board hasn't been this polarized around a player in a long time and I'm interested to know what the prevailing opinion is. So here's the question:

If we could trade for Simmons - and by this i mean a reasonable trade that most people would say is a fair deal for both sides, whatever that is - would you want Masai to make that deal? Would you want Simmons on this team if we could get him for say one of our best players and filler? Yes or no?
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Re: Simmons: Yes or No? 

Post#2 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:20 pm

You'd be crazy not to take Simmons but the only fair deal from our end probably isn't fair from Phillys end.

Fred, Boucher, Dragic (to a 3rd team), couple of 1sts isn't enough to get it done. If it was then hell ya, sign me up.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#3 » by Spida888 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:27 pm

There are risks to trading for him but I would take the risk if the main outgoing piece is FVV despite really valuing his grit and leadership.

Pascal for Simmons straight up seems like a lateral move, and I like Pascal more, but wouldn't be totally against it if FO does it b/c Simmons has higher perceived value around the league.

No deal if it includes OG.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,802

Post#4 » by Quattro » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:31 pm

I’d vote no because he’s a bad fit on this roster, he’s going to cost too much and I don’t like the idea of paying a high price for a max contract who is a “project”.
Van_Trump
Veteran
And1: 1,266

Post#5 » by Van_Trump » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:31 pm

"Pascal Siakam and stuff"
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,133

Post#6 » by duppyy » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:38 pm

Don’t want him if it involves sending Scottie the other way.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#7 » by TheBoi10 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:45 pm

Yes, the Raptors need a big talent upgrade
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,871

Post#8 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:46 pm

Big fan of Simmons. But he just doesn't fit on this team.
He'll turn Portland into a contender.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#9 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:59 pm

Ben would be the best player on maybe 5 teams. He needs to have his own crappy team.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#10 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:05 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:This board hasn't been this polarized around a player in a long time and I'm interested to know what the prevailing opinion is. So here's the question:

If we could trade for Simmons - and by this i mean a reasonable trade that most people would say is a fair deal for both sides, whatever that is - would you want Masai to make that deal? Would you want Simmons on this team if we could get him for say one of our best players and filler? Yes or no?

I think the problem is that most people here don't understand what is a fair trade and neither does Morey. So... what's the point of trying.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#11 » by refshateRaps » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:06 pm

Depends on what you give up? FVV and picks but not Pascal

This organization is the right place for him
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#12 » by HotelVitale » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:08 pm

Philly fan here, one thing I’d add is that if your team can handle the whole avoiding scoring/playing scared in the PO then the personality things will likely be okay. He always plays hard and doesn’t make waves in the locker room, introverted guy who has a close circle around him and doesn’t ask for special privileges or anything. Philly really really needs a guy who can get buckets in the 4th—Embiid and Harris aren’t reliable for that—so Simmons’ faults were exacerbated, and fans scapegoated him quite a bit as a result. (Though it was also just 4 years of the same thing so fans were wanting some accountability, and Ben was defensive—in part because of how much backlash there was).

It’s not a defense of him, and I won’t comment on trade value or anything, just a note on the personality.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,781

Post#13 » by UcanUwill » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:09 pm

Russilo and Simmons had a great talk on Simmons, and it really stick to me, because I see myself in SImmons. They said Simmons is afraid to fail and it shows in 4th. quarters. And man do I know what it means, because I am like that, I have a lot of fears and phobias, especially in social situations, and when you have that fear to fail, what you do is always try to blend to a point you become invisible, you just do nothing, take no initiative, cause doing something could lead to failure. That stuff is in your head and it doesnt just go away, you will have moments when you can overcome it somewhat, but at the end it always catches up to you. When you take 3 forth quarter shots in 7 game series, you have fear of failure. And trust me, I am telling you first hand, fear of failure can destroy any potential person has.
CANsportsguru
Pro Prospect
And1: 522

Post#14 » by CANsportsguru » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:10 pm

If it were just for FVV and fillers Yes but there's no way the 76ers take that deal. Embiid probably isn't going to have a long career so their window is short and Fred is a step back for them. So I voted No as we'd have to give up a lot more than just FVV.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#15 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:14 pm

No OG
No Siakam
No Barnes
Then sure but that won't get a deal done
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#16 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:16 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:This board hasn't been this polarized around a player in a long time and I'm interested to know what the prevailing opinion is. So here's the question:

I think the problem is that most people here don't understand what is a fair trade and neither does Morey. So... what's the point of trying.

Or maybe the problem is that nobody has any idea what a fair trade for Simmons is at this point.

To me anyway, despite his faults, and not even taking into account the possibility of him getting better, which I know is a big question mark but at least a possibility given our record in player development, I think a DPOY candidate who can give you 14/7/7 is an excellent guy to have on your team, so long as you don't expect him to do things he can't do, like score in the 4th or shoot 3s. I also think it's worth going all in on the non-positional long ultra-defensive team as a way of countering the superteam stuff. For sure it's a gamble but you can't win a title by playing it safe.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#17 » by 720 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 9:40 pm

If it were for Vanvleet and filler for Simmons then sure (sixers wouldn't do it I think unless Simmons value is rock bottom or something). But any other combination that would include OG, Scottie or Siakam I say no.
planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,437

Post#18 » by planetmars » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:37 pm

It's not really a simple yes or no. Would love to have him, but that would require at least one of Fred, OG or Pascal to go back.

You trade Fred, and you loose 7-9 3pg. That's a lot of spacing we need on this team, even if a lot of his shots are in isolation.

You trade Pascal, and you lose a guy that's frankly better (not as good defensively, but not a major step down, but much better at scoring, and is willing to take a shot when the going gets rough).

As for OG, that's a chemistry thing. OG likes it here. He doesn't sulk. And he's a 40%+ 3pt shooter. And is just getting better. That 3pt shot he made against Boston in the bubble shows how ice cold this muthaf@cker is.

The poo-poo platter is Boucher/Dragic/picks. But then we are a tax team. Can't really avoid that, even if we give up Flynn. But that's a crap offer, unless we're giving like 3-4 picks, and then that becomes a bad deal for us.

Personally I think was an option at the draft before we landed Barnes. And when we could still trade the non-guaranteed contracts of Hood or Baynes to make the money work. Now, not so much.
Preliudas
Senior
And1: 457

Post#19 » by Preliudas » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:37 pm

Impossible to answer this questions just like that.

It all depends what we are giving away for Ben.
planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,437

Post#20 » by planetmars » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:39 pm

The options don't make much sense to me. Would like to have him, but not for anything that makes sense. So choosing no, but not because I think he's overrated.

Return to Toronto Raptors