Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 6

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 6 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:17 pm

Luka partnered with the 2k foundation to rebuild his childhood courts.

Link is to his Instagram.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,362

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 3 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:13 am

LUKA VS KP highlights from Eurobasket 2017
Read on Twitter
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
CwDogg
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#3 » by CwDogg » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:49 pm

JD45 wrote:Cover should have been Luka yelling at the refs for a foul call.

Players do complain about calls during the game
I'm sure they made some players complain more than others.
I wonder if Cuban and HiralaBob are on the Mavs bench.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#4 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:19 am

Brad Townsend: Cuban on @theeagledallas notes that Doncic and Porzingis have been “liking” one another’s social media posts, calls it a “telltale sign” that their relationship is fine. It’s also telling that Cuban has noticed them liking one another’s posts.

Cuban is the worst thing that could happen to Luka in the NBA, now everyone teases him.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,496

Post#5 » by Maverick41 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:26 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Brad Townsend: Cuban on @theeagledallas notes that Doncic and Porzingis have been “liking” one another’s social media posts, calls it a “telltale sign” that their relationship is fine. It’s also telling that Cuban has noticed them liking one another’s posts.

Cuban is the worst thing that could happen to Luka in the NBA, now everyone teases him.

Cuban takes care of his players and has proven that time-and-time again during and in their post careers. Sometimes his mouth gets him in trouble but he's definitely an asset to the team and for Luka.

But to the article, while it seems childish thats the way we see people getting along nowadays, it's still a good sign. The better their relationship, the better off we are as a team.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#6 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:09 am

Yes, the worst asset ever because he can't sign noone unless role players.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 4 

Post#7 » by Mavrelous » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,008

Post#8 » by Dirk » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:14 pm

KhalilS wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Guy on the right with the looks of someone that is about to shoot 80% from the line this season.
60/21/10
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#9 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:07 pm

And I thought there could be less complaining about reffing this year. :D

Didn't get back on defense in practice. Hahaha! He seemed to be complaining about the goaltending.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#10 » by Mavrelous » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:14 pm

Some things will never change LOL
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Mon Oct 4, 2021 5:38 pm

WME Sports talent agency has signed Dallas Mavericks guard Luka Doncic and will represent the two-time All-Star in all areas, as the agency focuses on expanding his business portfolio. Doncic is represented on the court by Bill Duffy and Quique Villalobos at BDA Sports Management. “I’m excited,” Doncic said. “WME Sports has so much to offer, and I know they’re the perfect partner to help me achieve all of my goals off the court.”

Doncic’s reps are recent partners themselves. In December 2020, Endeavor, the parent company of WME Sports, acquired a stake in BDA Sports, which brought Duffy into the fold as an adviser for WME. Duffy continues to run BDA as its chairman and CEO. The agency represents more than 100 NBA, WNBA and international active and retired basketball athletes. Other players represented by both BDA (on-court) and WME Sports (off-court) include the WNBA’s Sabrina Ionescu and young NBA talent, including the Knicks’ RJ Barrett and Scottie Barnes, the 2021 first-round draft pick of the Toronto Raptors.

https://www.sportico.com/personalities/agents/2021/wme-sports-signs-luka-doncic-1234643075/

– via Emily Caron @ Sportico

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#12 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:02 pm

Maverick41
Analyst

Post#13 » by Maverick41 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:48 pm

It is funny but there is a little truth in there. Luka does need to cut down on the turnovers because it kills the team. To me, Luka has a great handle for a wing but average at best for a full time starting PG. One of the reasons why I always prefer a good 2nd ball handler is so that he has someone to alleviate that pressure. Pretty much every big PG has had that kind of teammate. Lebron has had it, Magic had it, Lamelo right now has it.

I know people are gonna say "it's because he has to do everything," and yes I understand the turnovers where he's in the lane and is desperately trying to make something happen. Those TOs will happen. It's the ones where he gets ball pressured at full or even half court and just loses it that's infuriating. I understand that it's somehow taboo to call out Luka here but there's things he can improve on and this is one of them.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#14 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:52 pm

Maverick41 wrote:

It is funny but there is a little truth in there. Luka does need to cut down on the turnovers because it kills the team. To me, Luka has a great handle for a wing but average at best for a full time starting PG. One of the reasons why I always prefer a good 2nd ball handler is so that he has someone to alleviate that pressure. Pretty much every big PG has had that kind of teammate. Lebron has had it, Magic had it, Lamelo right now has it.

I know people are gonna say "it's because he has to do everything," and yes I understand the turnovers where he's in the lane and is desperately trying to make something happen. Those TOs will happen. It's the ones where he gets ball pressured at full or even half court and just loses it that's infuriating. I understand that it's somehow taboo to call out Luka here but there's things he can improve on and this is one of them.

I've been campaigning to blow the cap on Conley or trading for Sexton or McCollum, that's also why I want Kidd to rejuvenate Burke, I fully agree Luka needs a small guard next him, I disagree about the handles, his handles are better than most PGs in the league.
In general, comparing Luka to Westbrook is comparing apples to oranges, there's absolutely no similarity between them as players except the pumped stat line (for better and for worse).
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#15 » by Bob8 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:18 pm

Maverick41 wrote:

Luka had bad turnovers agains Suns in Q3, and Kidd should have rested him immediately, when it was obvious he was spent, in back2back and playing nonstop in first 3Qs. But normally Luka and Mavs TOs are not problematic. Mavs are always between better teams with TOs and all ball dominant players have a lot of them. Luka's problem this year is conditioning and bad shooting, which force him to makes very hard for each point. More than good ballhandler Luka needs good scorer beside him. Someone, who can create in Q4 for himself. KP is total disappointment in that regard and I doubt Brunson is long term answer either.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#16 » by Maverick41 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:44 pm

One of the biggest reasons why Luka is always tired other then his conditioning is because he also has to bring the ball up constantly, thereby barely having any breaks. This is why Kidd has THJ and others bring the ball up at times.

Most of Lukas "bad" turnovers happen when Brunson is off the floor and he's forced to do everything since we all know our other players can't do it.

If we trade Brunson, we absolutely need to fill that role with someone else equal or better or expect another 1st round exit.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#17 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:49 am

Maverick41 wrote:One of the biggest reasons why Luka is always tired other then his conditioning is because he also has to bring the ball up constantly, thereby barely having any breaks. This is why Kidd has THJ and others bring the ball up at times.

Most of Lukas "bad" turnovers happen when Brunson is off the floor and he's forced to do everything since we all know our other players can't do it.

If we trade Brunson, we absolutely need to fill that role with someone else equal or better or expect another 1st round exit.

Ideally they get a wing or a SF who can also create his own shot. This theoretically should have the same effect as Demar Derozan on Zach Lavine.

On most occasions, Luka has to bring the ball down himself because he's guarded by a back-pedaling smaller guard. And when you have this, the opponent doesn't have time to set the defense and this is where Luka can throw opponents off with his passing to the corners or faking out big men while he drives to the basket. This is where he shined during his first year. So he still needs to be primary ball handler. What he needs now is another wing who he doesn't need to set the table for. On some possessions Luka can just play decoy and let that wing player go to work. Like how Lavine just plays spot of shooter to Demar Derozan at times. This way he doesn't run out of gas in the 4th quarter.

Basically what I'm saying is they need an upgrade for DFS and/or Powell and Kleber. Luka is covering for their slack with those guys not being able to create their own shot. We attack the problem from the source. Getting another point guard to facilitate without addressing the main problem of offense or lack thereof from the SF and PF spot is just plugging holes without fixing them.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#18 » by Maverick41 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:00 am

arkuo wrote:Ideally they get a wing or a SF who can also create his own shot. This theoretically should have the same effect as Demar Derozan on Zach Lavine.

On most occasions, Luka has to bring the ball down himself because he's guarded by a back-pedaling smaller guard. And when you have this, the opponent doesn't have time to set the defense and this is where Luka can throw opponents off with his passing to the corners or faking out big men while he drives to the basket. This is where he shined during his first year. So he still needs to be primary ball handler. What he needs now is another wing who he doesn't need to set the table for. On some possessions Luka can just play decoy and let that wing player go to work. Like how Lavine just plays spot of shooter to Demar Derozan at times. This way he doesn't run out of gas in the 4th quarter.

Basically what I'm saying is they need an upgrade for DFS and/or Powell and Kleber. Luka is covering for their slack with those guys not being able to create their own shot. We attack the problem from the source. Getting another point guard to facilitate without addressing the main problem of offense or lack thereof from the SF and PF spot is just plugging holes without fixing them.

Agreed on most points, good post. In an absolute ideal world we get a wing that can be that playmaker, ala PG13, DDR, etc. There's only one player that fits that bill that is available to me and that's Simmons. I just think it's easier to get a guard.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,950

Post#19 » by Archx » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:34 pm

After an absolute horrible and slow start of the season, Luka is slowly climbing back in some advance metrics. I'm just going to mention some things that bothered people in the past months and were huge part of various discussions.

Mavs are now finally positive when Luka is ON the floor +0.5. Him and DFS have team high 1.2 SPG and he is team's 3rd best shot blocker. (Tied with DFS). Out of all players, with big minutes, he's still a bit low in ORTG but has 2nd best DRTG of 104, trailing only KP who has 103. He's also 2nd on the team in DWS and first DBPM.

Basically a ton of improvements on defense, but mostly due to his poor shooting performances, offense is still lacking a bit. We can say with ease that Mavs are playing top3 defense now and Luka is a HUGE part of that.

Oh, just don't play him big minutes in b2b because his efficiency and legs literally die :lol:
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#20 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Archx wrote:After an absolute horrible and slow start of the season, Luka is slowly climbing back in some advance metrics. I'm just going to mention some things that bothered people in the past months and were huge part of various discussions.

Mavs are now finally positive when Luka is ON the floor +0.5. Him and DFS have team high 1.2 SPG and he is team's 3rd best shot blocker. (Tied with DFS). Out of all players, with big minutes, he's still a bit low in ORTG but has 2nd best DRTG of 104, trailing only KP who has 103. He's also 2nd on the team in DWS and first DBPM.

Basically a ton of improvements on defense, but mostly due to his poor shooting performances, offense is still lacking a bit. We can say with ease that Mavs are playing top3 defense now and Luka is a HUGE part of that.

Oh, just don't play him big minutes in b2b because his efficiency and legs literally die :lol:

The main improvement for me is that he's back to driving to the rim, that's his best weapon, especially when the whole team is shooting horribly, I'm still missing the exquisite, out of nowhere, passing, it's much less this year.

Return to Dallas Mavericks