Official Anthony Edwards Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,316

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#1241 » by Calinks » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:22 pm

Hmmm if he did grew I hope he reaches 6'7" that would be great. People talk about how good Jimmy Butler is but people also seem to forget that that dude is huge. Butler is tall and extremely strong. That adds a lot to his game.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#1242 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:37 pm

Calinks wrote:Hmmm if he did grew I hope he reaches 6'7" that would be great. People talk about how good Jimmy Butler is but people also seem to forget that that dude is huge. Butler is tall and extremely strong. That adds a lot to his game.

Edwards has got a longer wingspan than Butler, Butler's wingspan is the same as his height which is kinda meh for a basketball player. That's what many believe is one of the key things stopping Butler from being in that Kawhi/Lebron tier.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,814

Post#1243 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:38 pm

Calinks wrote:Hmmm if he did grew I hope he reaches 6'7" that would be great. People talk about how good Jimmy Butler is but people also seem to forget that that dude is huge. Butler is tall and extremely strong. That adds a lot to his game.

Being big and strong is huge part of Ant's game.
Doesn't anybody besides me remember the Wolves already saying he was 6'6" a year ago. :noway: :crazy: :banghead:
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,316

Post#1244 » by Calinks » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Being big and strong is huge part of Ant's game.
Doesn't anybody besides me remember the Wolves already saying he was 6'6" a year ago. :noway: :crazy: :banghead:

Yea I heard 6'6" last year but I thought they were embellishing and he was more like 6'4".
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,883

Post#1245 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Doesn't anybody besides me remember the Wolves already saying he was 6'6" a year ago. :noway: :crazy: :banghead:

There was reference in The Ringer last November saying he grew an inch, but nothing from a team spokesman that I'm aware of.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1246 » by moonpie » Thu Sep 2, 2021 10:38 pm

6'6 without shoes now maybe? Which would put him at 6'7 ish with shoes. Curious to see if wingspan increased as well
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1247 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 3, 2021 1:35 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Doesn't anybody besides me remember the Wolves already saying he was 6'6" a year ago. :noway: :crazy: :banghead:

There was reference in The Ringer last November saying he grew an inch, but nothing from a team spokesman that I'm aware of.

I don't think they said it in any official capacity, but IIRC they were saying it.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#1248 » by theGreatRC » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:20 am

What are we hoping Ant is dominant at?

Leading the NBA in Scoring like Brad Beal? Is that enough?

I was thinking about things he could be dominant at and I can see him as a elite two way scorer/defender with average rebounding/passing. His anticipation is great, so that could make him an amazing defender. I was watching a podcast with Duncan Robinson and they were talking about the difference between NBA and regular hooping. NBA players are so fast and have so many moves that as a defender, you have to almost predict where the player will go so your body is there to stop them from going that way.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#1249 » by fattymcgee » Fri Sep 3, 2021 1:58 pm

theGreatRC wrote:What are we hoping Ant is dominant at?

I was thinking about things he could be dominant at and I can see him as a elite two way scorer/defender with average rebounding/passing. His anticipation is great, so that could make him an amazing defender. I was watching a podcast with Duncan Robinson and they were talking about the difference between NBA and regular hooping. NBA players are so fast and have so many moves that as a defender, you have to almost predict where the player will go so your body is there to stop them from going that way.

If you are looking at his post all-star game stats, he's already top 10 in rebounding amongst SG and top 25 in assists.
Based on the second half of last year it looks like he's already going to be an elite/efficient scorer and average to above average passer and good rebounder. Offensively I'd like to see him increase his FTA, 3pt%, and assists. I think what's really going to determine if he's a superstar is if he can become a good defender.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1250 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:56 pm

fattymcgee wrote:

If you are looking at his post all-star game stats, he's already top 10 in rebounding amongst SG and top 25 in assists.
Based on the second half of last year it looks like he's already going to be an elite/efficient scorer and average to above average passer and good rebounder. Offensively I'd like to see him increase his FTA, 3pt%, and assists. I think what's really going to determine if he's a superstar is if he can become a good defender.

Honestly, I would be happy if Ant could average five defensive rebounds and 1.5 steals per game. To me that stops more than six possessions a game. I don't want Ant to turn into Pat Bev where he's super physical. I worry that he will just get into too much foul trouble and spend too much time on the bench. I want Ant playing 35 mins a game. Be a solid defensive rebounder, play the passing lanes and fight over screens properly and get a hand up. If the guy makes the shot, go down to the other end and make your shot. Leave the in-your-face defense to Okogie and V8 and Beverly - guys that can get into foul trouble and the Wolves will still be okay.

That's what's so annoying about KAT sometimes. He either plays defense hard and gets in foul trouble or he doesn't play defense at all. There's no middle ground. Hopefully, Ant can find that middle ground.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Post#1251 » by Baseline81 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:49 pm

Edwards is listed as 6'4" on NBA.com. Is that with or without shoes?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1252 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:58 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
fattymcgee wrote:

Honestly, I would be happy if Ant could average five defensive rebounds and 1.5 steals per game. To me that stops more than six possessions a game. I don't want Ant to turn into Pat Bev where he's super physical. I worry that he will just get into too much foul trouble and spend too much time on the bench. I want Ant playing 35 mins a game. Be a solid defensive rebounder, play the passing lanes and fight over screens properly and get a hand up. If the guy makes the shot, go down to the other end and make your shot. Leave the in-your-face defense to Okogie and V8 and Beverly - guys that can get into foul trouble and the Wolves will still be okay.

That's what's so annoying about KAT sometimes. He either plays defense hard and gets in foul trouble or he doesn't play defense at all. There's no middle ground. Hopefully, Ant can find that middle ground.

Great post, but I hope Minimus doesn't see it. Load Management.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1253 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 3, 2021 5:00 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Edwards is listed as 6'4" on NBA.com. Is that with or without shoes?

This with or without shoes thing has to come to an end. Measurements should have never been made in shoes in the first place. Supposedly last year they went to actual height for the official NBA measurements. So that should be without shoes.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#1254 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Sep 5, 2021 5:17 pm

Guys, anybody secretly hoping that Edwards can explode to be like a top 10-15 player next season, and a legit MVP candidate in the near future? I'm actually super-excited to watch how good Ant will be, the season can't begin soon enough!
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#1255 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Sep 5, 2021 8:30 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Guys, anybody secretly hoping that Edwards can explode to be like a top 10-15 player next season, and a legit MVP candidate in the near future? I'm actually super-excited to watch how good Ant will be, the season can't begin soon enough!

With Ant’s offensive prowess, if he can develop into an above average defender, the sky’s the limit for Edwards IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#1256 » by MN7725 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:03 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Guys, anybody secretly hoping that Edwards can explode to be like a top 10-15 player next season, and a legit MVP candidate in the near future? I'm actually super-excited to watch how good Ant will be, the season can't begin soon enough!

It's so tough to get to that level
even if he did what he did last quarter of the season all year long

23 PPG
47% FG
36% 3pt
5 FTA/G
5 RPG
4 APG

still wouldn't be at that the All-NBA level player unless he was considered a legit two-way player

I'm just hoping for next season he can get his FTA way up from both getting more respect and recognition from refs, and also how to sell it better, how to bait opponents

if he can start getting 8+ FTA a game, then his efficiency, TS% will be at a level where he has a chance to an All-Star, All-NBA level guy
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1257 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:05 pm

No top 10-15 would be too good. I'm only secretly hoping he's top 50. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :noway:

Actually I'm not secretly hoping it at all. I'm hoping that he does rise to a top 10 level or even better.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#1258 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:34 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

No top 10-15 would be too good. I'm only secretly hoping he's top 50. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :noway:

Actually I'm not secretly hoping it at all. I'm hoping that he does rise to a top 10 level or even better.

What I meant by ‘secretly’ is that I’m having these unrealistic hopes of him already destroying everybody this year, to play like prime DWade or smth haha

I kinda believe the kid is one of those talents that can become a mega-star really fast, like Wade, Doncic, or Lebron, his game is so natural and smooth. Idk, I’ve been super-high on him since pre-draft, I’m probably too unrealistic
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1259 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:37 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

What I meant by ‘secretly’ is that I’m having these unrealistic hopes of him already destroying everybody this year, to play like prime DWade or smth haha

I kinda believe the kid is one of those talents that can become a mega-star really fast, like Wade, Doncic, or Lebron, his game is so natural and smooth. Idk, I’ve been super-high on him since pre-draft, I’m probably too unrealistic

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. Is it realistic for Ant to be a top 10 or so player in the league this year? Not likely. Is it realistic that he's ever a top 10 player? Possible, but still unlikely. I'm hoping that he's the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan. Unlikely, but a man can dream.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1260 » by packforfreedom » Mon Sep 6, 2021 6:01 am

Allstar level player next season, all NBA player the year after, MVP candidate by year four.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves