Peak: Luka Doncic or T-Mac 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 8:37 pm

Peak: Luka Doncic or T-Mac
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Re: Peak: Luka Doncic or T-Mac 

Post#2 » by LAL1947 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:53 pm

Way too early bro. Luka still hasn't started his peak. I think he has many levels to go. Just wait until he loses the baby fat and leans up. Let's wait and see how it goes, hopefully injury-free and without Lebron's and KD's super-team shenanigans doing too much damage to his possible legacy.
jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,058

Post#3 » by jalengreen » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:56 pm

LAL1947 wrote:Way too early bro. Luka still hasn't started his peak. I think he has many levels to go. Just wait until he loses the baby fat and leans up. Let's wait and see how it goes, hopefully injury-free and without Lebron's and KD's super-team shenanigans doing too much damage to his possible legacy.

the question is whether his peak so far (aka his current form) is better than tracy mcgrady ever was. definitely not too early to ask that because it has nothing to do with the future.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by LAL1947 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:59 pm

jalengreen wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:Way too early bro. Luka still hasn't started his peak. I think he has many levels to go. Just wait until he loses the baby fat and leans up. Let's wait and see how it goes, hopefully injury-free and without Lebron's and KD's super-team shenanigans doing too much damage to his possible legacy.

the question is whether his peak so far (aka his current form) is better than tracy mcgrady ever was. definitely not too early to ask that because it has nothing to do with the future.

Fair enough. I'll refrain from voting though. :thumbsup:
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#5 » by No-more-rings » Mon Sep 6, 2021 1:08 am

Depends if you take 03 Mcgrady at face value or not. 03 was an outlier for him, generally you want to see like 2-3 years at a particular level to establish peak. Luka already has two seasons that on average he was probably better than Tmac ever was.
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#6 » by mdonnelly1989 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:05 am

No-more-rings wrote:Depends if you take 03 Mcgrady at face value or not. 03 was an outlier for him, generally you want to see like 2-3 years at a particular level to establish peak. Luka already has two seasons that on average he was probably better than Tmac ever was.

I'm going 1 year Peak. As we do on this board.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#7 » by No-more-rings » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:14 am

mdonnelly1989 wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:Depends if you take 03 Mcgrady at face value or not. 03 was an outlier for him, generally you want to see like 2-3 years at a particular level to establish peak. Luka already has two seasons that on average he was probably better than Tmac ever was.

I get that, I’m just saying in Tmac’s case since he never came that close to that level more than once it has to diminish the value some.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,436

Post#8 » by Saint Lazarus » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:16 am

Peak Tmac was better than Kobe… if we’re talking about 1 year peak then Luka isn’t on that level
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#9 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:02 am

No-more-rings wrote:I get that, I’m just saying in Tmac’s case since he never came that close to that level more than once it has to diminish the value some.

I don't see why though. I and many others don't do that for guys like Hawkins or Walton and injuries were part of Tmac's struggles. Sometimes guys just have outlier type seasons as well and I don't think it somehow demeans how good they were in that one season by virtue of them not reaching that level again. Especially since we know TMac had all world size and athleticism at his position.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,481

Post#10 » by Jaivl » Mon Sep 6, 2021 2:26 pm

T-Mac
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 3,964

Post#11 » by dygaction » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:17 pm

Regular season and playoffs combined, Luka.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#12 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:34 pm

And yet, the conversation is already over for me.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by LAL1947 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:42 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

And yet, the conversation is already over for me.

Haha! Well, I feel bad dismissing T-Mac... cos his peak was cut short by injury. So I'm trying to be gracious by abstaining. More importantly, I don't want to jinx Luka. :P
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

Post#14 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:51 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:

One year peak must still put into context, to account for variance

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,568

Post#15 » by homecourtloss » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:03 pm

Question about Luka and T-Mac and somehow LeBron, Durant and sUpErTeAmS gets in there. :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,982

Post#16 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Sep 6, 2021 7:23 pm

I think people really confuse T-Mac the actual player and the idea of T-Mac.
In real life, T-mac never put it all together. In his early 20s he put us all on alert that he was going to become the best player in the NBA. His scoring talent, the sheer effortless way he could score, was jaw dropping. He also showed some serious promise as a rebounder and a shot blocker. I remember thinking T-Mac was going to become a guy who could play 4 positions defensively while leading the league in scoring. He was toiling away on bad teams, but T-Mac was the most talented guy in the NBA.

But he never really became that. Injuries and a clear lack of development reduced T-Mac to an over-talented gunner with a nice drive and dish game. Before he even hit 26, he was overly reliant on that wild pull-up game. He never became a good finisher (weird strange hole in his game considering how athletic he was and how good he was at getting to the line), his defensive peak was probably in his Toronto days. It's totally fair to blame it all on injuries, but as his talent level decreased, he never found little ways to adjust and stay effective. From an efficiency perspective, he only had 1 great season, and his all-around game really petered off.

Yes T-mac is one of the most talented players ever. But his time as a super-effective NBA player might have been a single season, though you can stretch his prime out for maybe 3 seasons.

You can compare 2003 T-Mac to Luka, but that's it.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#17 » by Pelly24 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 1:34 am

I'm gonna go with Luka. He's a top 5 player (IMO) in an era that's incredibly stacked. TMac was a very good passer, but Luka is one of the greatest playmakers of all time, in the same vein as LeBron. Also, as a scorer, it looks like Luka was a bit more efficient relative to league and he's essentially unguardable. The only weakness he really has is turnovers. He's got an endless array of one on one moves, is great from midrange, is a decent enough three-point shooter and I actually think he's probably a better finisher than TMac due to his football player-esque build
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#18 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:12 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:I think people really confuse T-Mac the actual player and the idea of T-Mac.
In real life, T-mac never put it all together. In his early 20s he put us all on alert that he was going to become the best player in the NBA. His scoring talent, the sheer effortless way he could score, was jaw dropping. He also showed some serious promise as a rebounder and a shot blocker. I remember thinking T-Mac was going to become a guy who could play 4 positions defensively while leading the league in scoring. He was toiling away on bad teams, but T-Mac was the most talented guy in the NBA.

But he never really became that. Injuries and a clear lack of development reduced T-Mac to an over-talented gunner with a nice drive and dish game. Before he even hit 26, he was overly reliant on that wild pull-up game. He never became a good finisher (weird strange hole in his game considering how athletic he was and how good he was at getting to the line), his defensive peak was probably in his Toronto days. It's totally fair to blame it all on injuries, but as his talent level decreased, he never found little ways to adjust and stay effective. From an efficiency perspective, he only had 1 great season, and his all-around game really petered off.

Yes T-mac is one of the most talented players ever. But his time as a super-effective NBA player might have been a single season, though you can stretch his prime out for maybe 3 seasons.

Summed pretty perfectly how I feel about T-Mac. Basketbawful had a really good post about T-Mac a long while ago (link: http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2009/01/worst-of-weekend-buzzer-beater-edition.html). He had more raw talent than Kobe but never really came close to what Kobe became. One was almost hell-bent on getting the absolute most out of himself while the other just seemed satisfied getting by.
Morb
Junior
And1: 82

Post#19 » by Morb » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:06 pm

Yeap, I think Kobe had better spine))
Also, T-Mac '03 is The GOAT.)

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 Plus using RealGM mobile app
PG Lebron '09, SG Vince '01, SF T-Mac '03, PF Wilt '62, C Shaq '03.
no-zone-baby))
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#20 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:14 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:I think people really confuse T-Mac the actual player and the idea of T-Mac.

Summed pretty perfectly how I feel about T-Mac. Basketbawful had a really good post about T-Mac a long while ago (link: http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2009/01/worst-of-weekend-buzzer-beater-edition.html). He had more raw talent than Kobe but never really came close to what Kobe became. One was almost hell-bent on getting the absolute most out of himself while the other just seemed satisfied getting by.

Doesn't seem to me he had more talent than Kobe. More impressive body doesn't equate to more talent.

Kobe was a higher rated prospect than McGrady and was better than McGrady at pretty much every age of their career.

Return to Player Comparisons