Don't care
11%

Total votes: 129

Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#701 » by Dolevi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:36 am

Meliorus wrote:1 year later and still dislike him as much as I did on draft night. You're not given the ball or opportunity to be a "playmaker" when you can't score or carry an offense. Every team wants to score 130 a night, there's no time to give the ball to Deni.
He definetely needs to prove himself. But tbh right now it looks like he's gonna be out of the rotation. I'm not sure how many chances he will get when returning from his injury, but probably if he won't do well, his way to G-league / Euroleague will be short. Unless another team in the NBA will try to develop him.
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#702 » by Gig18 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:43 pm

Man. You guys are overreacting. He's gonna play and he's gonna be good.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#703 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:06 pm

Gig18 wrote:Man. You guys are overreacting. He's gonna play and he's gonna be good.

If the Wiz don’t like him, I’d take him on my team in a heartbeat. Love his smarts and his skill level, he’ll be just fine.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#704 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Gig18 wrote:Man. You guys are overreacting. He's gonna play and he's gonna be good.

Agreed.

The only caveat is that, with his injury, he presumably wasn't able to work on his game as diligently as other players. He may not show the same progression we might expect, at least early on in the season.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#705 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 5, 2021 7:32 pm

From the Athletic, part of an article by Fred Katz that's behind a paywall....

"I assume Avdija will facilitate more than he did last season, even if he plays less. So much of his role as a rookie included him parking himself in the corner. But I don’t think the new coaching staff views him the same way, and I figure with Westbrook gone, Avdija has an even better chance to handle the ball, considering how often the nine-time All-Star controlled the offense last season. Avdija's touches per 100 possessions increased nearly 33 percent when Westbrook was off the floor in 2020-21, according to information compiled by data-tracking site Second Spectrum....

New head coach Wes Unseld Jr. pitched inventive ways to use Avdija, who was more of a creator when he played in Israel, during the interview process with Washington. The team doesn't view him as the starter, as it did a season ago, which means he could receive more opportunities to handle, too...."

Title is: "Wizards’ Deni Avdija as a playmaker, Bradley Beal’s chances to make All-NBA, Davis Bertans’ future and more"
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#706 » by Dolevi » Sun Sep 5, 2021 10:09 pm

Agreed.

I hope he will be able to gain confidence if coach will play with him this way. I still believe in his potential to be a very good player in this league, but it won't happen by letting him shoot bricks, he needs to playmake the game, but indeed it will happen only from the bench (and it's not bad idea). I think it will be good for him. If things go well, he can find himself getting more and more minuets and credit.

Now it's up to Deni. The pressure to prove himself will be on his weight now, not coach and not Westbrook. At the end of this season we will know what the kid's got.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#707 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:01 pm

Hmm…bringing him off the bench would’ve made more sense last season IMO…given Russ’ ball dominance and the fact he was still a rookie. Bringing him off the bench now after starting him his whole rookie year seems like a step backwards.

“The team doesn’t view him as the starter as it did last year” doesn’t exactly scream confidence.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#708 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 6, 2021 12:31 am

Well, a whole lot has changed since last year. Especially, we've acquired about a zillion forwards!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#709 » by bsilver » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:36 am

The SF position last year was a mess. What were the options other than Deni, who clearly wasn't yet a starting caliber NBA player?
Bonga was terrible.
Chandler Hutchinson was terrible.
Troy Brown Jr. seemed to be in Brooks doghouse and wasn't given much of chance.
Brooks never considered Bertans to be an SF.
So we suffered through the ridiculous 3 guard lineups.

Deni must know he hasn't yet earned the starting SF job. Let him prove he deserves to play now that we have other options.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#710 » by gambitx777 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:55 am

I personally feel Rui should start at the 3 he can shoot. He can move and he can defend the position . Deni should be the primary back up at the 4/3 spot to ball handle some when din is resting or out. Obviously depends on if bertans is moved or healthy

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#711 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:43 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I personally feel Rui should start at the 3 he can shoot. He can move and he can defend the position . Deni should be the primary back up at the 4/3 spot to ball handle some when din is resting or out. Obviously depends on if bertans is moved or healthy

Rui is the only true PF on the roster other than Gill

Yeah, Rui can play some 3, but so can Kuzma, Avdija, Bertans, KCP and Kispert.

But none of those guys can really match up with starting caliber, full-sized, true PF's like Julius Randle, Giannis and Anthony Davis. Rui is the only guy who can guard them. So Rui will be the PF.

I don't really care what you call Rui on offense. Lot's of PF's play like a 3 on offense these days and Rui can too.

The way I look at it, you are the position you can defend. Rui will be the 4.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#712 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:06 pm

nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I personally feel Rui should start at the 3 he can shoot. He can move and he can defend the position . Deni should be the primary back up at the 4/3 spot to ball handle some when din is resting or out. Obviously depends on if bertans is moved or healthy

Rui is the only true PF on the roster other than Gill

Yeah, Rui can play some 3, but so can Kuzma, Avdija, Bertans, KCP and Kispert.

But none of those guys can really match up with starting caliber, full-sized, true PF's like Julius Randle, Giannis and Anthony Davis. Rui is the only guy who can guard them. So Rui will be the PF.

I don't really care what you call Rui on offense. Lot's of PF's play like a 3 on offense these days and Rui can too.

The way I look at it, you are the position you can defend. Rui will be the 4.

How'd I let this get by me? What happened to all those "interchangeable forwards" we'd been hearing about, nate? ;)
Spoiler:
You don't need to answer -- I'm just pulling your leg.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#713 » by FAH1223 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#714 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:47 pm

bsilver wrote:The SF position last year was a mess. What were the options other than Deni, who clearly wasn't yet a starting caliber NBA player?
Bonga was terrible.
Chandler Hutchinson was terrible.
Troy Brown Jr. seemed to be in Brooks doghouse and wasn't given much of chance.
Brooks never considered Bertans to be an SF.
So we suffered through the ridiculous 3 guard lineups.

Deni must know he hasn't yet earned the starting SF job. Let him prove he deserves to play now that we have other options.
[NBA] CHI @ TOR, Final : 111 : 108
https://www.thescore.com/nba/events/2390580

Troy Brown had 11 points in just 16 minutes for the 4-0 Chicago Bulls last night.

Gafford and Brown are both better off after the trade.

Sent from my SM-A526U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#715 » by queridiculo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:37 pm

Even if you move Avdija to PF, he still needs to be able to knock down open shots or he's just hurting the team out there on the floor.

Waste of a lottery pick if his shooting doesn't come around.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#716 » by gambitx777 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:33 pm

queridiculo wrote:Even if you move Avdija to PF, he still needs to be able to knock down open shots or he's just hurting the team out there on the floor.

And yet some people still wanna trade for Ben Simmons lol. And before I get flamed I know there is a difference but if rather have deni that Ben. I said what I said!

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#717 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 pm

queridiculo wrote:Even if you move Avdija to PF, he still needs to be able to knock down open shots or he's just hurting the team out there on the floor.

I believe the flow of the offense is the problem, if we had quick, fast passes that created better looks, Deni & Corey would be able to do their thing. Corey is more aggressive and confident, Deni not so-much, he often passes-up shots...lacks an inner killer so-far.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#718 » by Dark Faze » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:04 am

Deni's best chance to be a starter is to shoot the ball better than 35% from deep. That paired with his high potential defensively would make for a high caliber roleplayer.

That's probably his ceiling right now. His jumpshot needs to be his number 1 priority at the moment as its what will keep him in the league.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#719 » by gambitx777 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:44 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Deni's best chance to be a starter is to shoot the ball better than 35% from deep. That paired with his high potential defensively would make for a high caliber roleplayer.

That's probably his ceiling right now. His jumpshot needs to be his number 1 priority at the moment as its what will keep him in the league.
Obviously different players but I look at him like I looked at sato all those years. Just a jumper away from being really good.

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#720 » by NatP4 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:15 pm

Deni needs to be playing a lot more minutes, but through 4 games:

Per 36: 9.7 points 8.8 rebounds 2.9 assists 1.9 blocks 1.0 steals 1.0 turnovers 57% TS. 121 offensive rating 102 defensive rating.

Return to Washington Wizards