Chandler Hutchinson the man the mystery

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: Chandler Hutchinson the man the mystery 

Post#21 » by payitforward » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:52 pm

I feel bad for this kid.

He went 8-11 in his Wizards debut, including a couple of 3-pointers. He has to have something going for him to have done that!

Since then, he's gone 5-25.

Hutch had a pretty good rookie year in '18-19. He didn't shoot much or shoot well, but, overall, he was outstanding at everything else. Above all, he was & is an excellent rebounder for a wing.

His 2d year, he shot more & better -- but still not well, so his shooting brought down his overall productivity. He did get to the line a lot that year, so I make a provisional assumption that he has a reasonable handle & can go to the bucket a little bit. He also shot FTs well. As he has for us -- he's 7-9 from the line.

Hutchison is a strong, fluid athlete with good size for his position. He's said to be a strong defender (I haven't watched him enough to know). If you can rebound & defend, you ought to be able to stick in the league as a journeyman. Think Garrett Temple. Then, over time, you work hard at your shooting & get better enough that it isn't costing you your career -- think Garrett Temple again! :)

Maybe the question about Hutchison will turn out to be whether he has the human skills, not basketball skills, that he may need to be a success: above all the ability to face adversity. In that regard, it's hard not to remember the talk about him having "personal problems."

Sometimes that's more than "human skills;" sometimes it's having a strong support network around you.

Anyway, we will be paying him $4m next year to work through these issues & show he's an NBA player. Be great if he does.

If it doesn't work out -- well... at least he'll have earned almost $9m dollars! Should give him a good start towards whatever he does next! :)

Maybe that means I don't need to "feel bad for this kid"... ? :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#22 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:There's a hitch in Hutch's shot. It just looked like he's got a bad shooting touch - not just in his jump shot but in his drives to the hoop. It's hard to get past that when watching him. Too bad the G League season wasn't extended.

If that's all it is and not a vision or physical flaw thing then David Adkins and crew ought to be able to help him rebuild it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:50 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:There's a hitch in Hutch's shot. It just looked like he's got a bad shooting touch - not just in his jump shot but in his drives to the hoop. It's hard to get past that when watching him. Too bad the G League season wasn't extended.

If that's all it is and not a vision or physical flaw thing then David Adkins and crew ought to be able to help him rebuild it.

Shooting form can be taught, but can shooting touch be taught? Then again, if he can shoot 3's at a high rate and still can't finish drives, he can play a role in the NBA. He certainly has a good frame and solid athleticism.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#24 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 am

Let's hear it for the man of mystery -- getting big minutes against the Lakers tonight & producing with effort, smart play & defense!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#25 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 6, 2021 12:28 am

The Spurs waived Chandler Hutchison today -- despite owing him $4m this season.

That might be it for Hutch in the NBA, sadly. Hope not; hope someone picks him up.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#26 » by gambitx777 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 6:54 am

Australia here he comes .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#27 » by CobraCommander » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:28 pm

payitforward wrote:The Spurs waived Chandler Hutchison today -- despite owing him $4m this season.

That might be it for Hutch in the NBA, sadly. Hope not; hope someone picks him up.

It’s not over for him...he has an nba body and can play...he will be back and he is leaving with 4M to spend on improving his game and body...I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the go go
payitforward
RealGM

Post#28 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 8, 2021 6:29 pm

As I posted yesterday, the Phoenix Suns have signed Hutch. To a vet minimum contract I assume, since whatever they pay him the Spurs will make up the difference up to his $4m guarantee.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,586

Post#29 » by penbeast0 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:26 pm

Hard to believe Hutchinson has a contract and Garrison Mathews doesn't having watched them play.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,880

Post#30 » by Frichuela » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:45 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Hard to believe Hutchinson has a contract and Garrison Mathews doesn't having watched them play.

True. I would have thought Garrison would be picked by teams in need of 3pt snipers.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#31 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:24 am

This is why I continue to think there's a deal in place to bring Mathews back. Which would require a consolidation trade of some kind.

Obviously, I have no real evidence to support this idea. If it's fantasy, then I hope the guy gets a job somewhere. He's definitely a capable NBA player.

Return to Washington Wizards