ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiseman could be like Anthony Randolph

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,335

Wiseman could be like Anthony Randolph 

Post#1 » by migya » Mon Sep 6, 2021 2:22 pm

Read something a few weeks ago, think it was linked to on the Player Comparison forum, that stated, with some pretty good information with it, that Wiseman is quite similar to Anthony Randolph, the talented draft pick the Warriors got about fifteen years ago. His potential looked high, as were the expectations, but he was another bust that disappeared after a few years. There is a legit chance that Wiseman doesn't become at least a solid starter. Trading him now while his value is still high and reality of his abilities at the pro level still unknown looks like a safe option. Don't know what bigs are available and which ones fit, remember over a month ago some talk was about Myles Turner, but certainly with the team wanting to win now this is a significant decision.

I think that bench players that have moved around alot recently, like Montezl Harrell, could be valuable returns in a trade package also.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,810

Re: Wiseman could be like Anthony Randolph 

Post#2 » by cdubbz » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:03 pm

Anthony Randolph was Chris Bosh 2.0 on this board back then. Big difference is 14th pick or whatever Randolph was and being the #2 pick in Wiseman. Blowing the 14th pick isn't that big compared to #2.

We shall see.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,069

Post#3 » by The-Power » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:13 pm

migya wrote:Trading him now while his value is still high and reality of his abilities at the pro level still unknown looks like a safe option.

What is his value?
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,801

Post#4 » by whatisacenter » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:00 pm

migya wrote:Read something a few weeks ago, think it was linked to on the Player Comparison forum, that stated, with some pretty good information with it, that Wiseman is quite similar to Anthony Randolph, the talented draft pick the Warriors got about fifteen years ago. His potential looked high, as were the expectations, but he was another bust that disappeared after a few years. There is a legit chance that Wiseman doesn't become at least a solid starter. Trading him now while his value is still high and reality of his abilities at the pro level still unknown looks like a safe option. Don't know what bigs are available and which ones fit, remember over a month ago some talk was about Myles Turner, but certainly with the team wanting to win now this is a significant decision.

I think that bench players that have moved around alot recently, like Montezl Harrell, could be valuable returns in a trade package also.

maybe find it and post it...

it is WAY too early to tell what kind of player Wiseman will be and trading him now for a guy like Harrell would be the definition of trading him at his lowest value.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,335

Post#5 » by migya » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:08 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
migya wrote:Read something a few weeks ago, think it was linked to on the Player Comparison forum, that stated, with some pretty good information with it, that Wiseman is quite similar to Anthony Randolph, the talented draft pick the Warriors got about fifteen years ago. His potential looked high, as were the expectations, but he was another bust that disappeared after a few years. There is a legit chance that Wiseman doesn't become at least a solid starter. Trading him now while his value is still high and reality of his abilities at the pro level still unknown looks like a safe option. Don't know what bigs are available and which ones fit, remember over a month ago some talk was about Myles Turner, but certainly with the team wanting to win now this is a significant decision.

it is WAY too early to tell what kind of player Wiseman will be and trading him now for a guy like Harrell would be the definition of trading him at his lowest value.

I didn't say trade Wiseman for Harrell. Wiseman should be traded for an established big that fits and is very good right now. It'd be good to also get role players like Harrell.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#6 » by xdrta+ » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:20 pm

migya wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I didn't say trade Wiseman for Harrell. Wiseman should be traded for an established big that fits and is very good right now. It'd be good to also get role players like Harrell.

Someone is going to take Wiseman for an established big who is "very good right now?" That seems a tad optimistic.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#7 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:28 pm

I think OP might be referencing a post I made linking to a longer post I made on my Substack about Wiseman. The part I think OP is referencing is a section where I compared Wiseman's per 36 numbers, which have been favorably cited against the likes of Anthony Davis and Kevin Garnett, against some less happy outcomes like rookie Anthony Randolph, Marvin Bagley Jr., Isaiah Stewart, and JaVale McGee. My point wasn't that Wiseman would be Anthony Randolph (although I was more intrigued by Randolph's rookie season than I was Wiseman's), but that per 36 numbers suck ass and that we should all aim to use them less in our analyses of players.

As for OP's idea of trading Wiseman for Harrell or a Harrell type, eh. I'd be more inclined to trade Wiseman for someone with on-ball creation ability. Usable C's are available for cheap every year. Creative guards and wings are not.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#8 » by hamncheese » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:58 pm

So, the analysis is that Wiseman could be like Anthony Randolph or he could not be. If you believe the former, you should try to trade him. Otherwise, you shouldn't. Since I don't believe the Warriors management thinks the former, the likelihood is that the Warriors will try to develop Wiseman as part of their future and not trade him.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#9 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Sep 6, 2021 5:10 pm

hamncheese wrote:So, the analysis is that Wiseman could be like Anthony Randolph or he could not be. If you believe the former, you should try to trade him. Otherwise, you shouldn't. Since I don't believe the Warriors management thinks the former, the likelihood is that the Warriors will try to develop Wiseman as part of their future and not trade him.

Yep. Maybe he’ll be good, maybe he won’t. Seems like a good reason to create another Wiseman thread, doesn’t it?
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#10 » by shazam_guy » Mon Sep 6, 2021 5:48 pm

Hey, let's create two, one a "He might be good" thread, the other a "He might be a bust" thread. That way we'll be sure to hear all the different possibilities. And then we could have a "What the other two threads said" thread.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,159

Post#11 » by watch1958 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 6:04 pm

Hey, the OP could be right. I hear talks are heating up between the Dubs and Lokomotiv Kuban.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,273

Post#12 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 6:45 pm

Just for context, the environment Wiseman has around him, compared to the one Randolph had, are huge contrasts.

These threads make no sense. They are just a regurgitation of similar words written in thousand posts before, in similar threads.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#13 » by Money_ » Mon Sep 6, 2021 7:11 pm

Except Wiseman already shows 10x the upside than Randolph ever did. Randolph was a loose cannon always trying to play outside of his skill set or positional expectations. Wiseman has shown me much more than that in glimpses. We won't know or even get an idea of where he can go until we see him play 40-65 more games. I'm predicting that he will have much more value than an Anthony Randolph when all is said and done. He just needs to stay on the floor. The guy has spent so much time injured.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#14 » by Coxy » Mon Sep 6, 2021 7:47 pm

Randolph had a brain the size of a peanut.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 848

Post#15 » by DevinVassell » Mon Sep 6, 2021 9:07 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Just for context, the environment Wiseman has around him, compared to the one Randolph had, are huge contrasts.

He was about 1ft to tall to have any chance on Nellys warriors.

If he was drafted by say... the spurs, we are probably looking at a better player down the road.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#16 » by a8bil » Mon Sep 6, 2021 9:27 pm

Tall, young kid with raw talent...yeah, they're all the same.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#17 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Sep 6, 2021 9:34 pm

The biggest question mark with Wiseman is if weight training and him growing into his body naturally results in a big improvement of body control. When he gets his big frame moving he's not the most agile 7fter and his change of direction and balance were cringy. But I wouldn't be surprised if he came in this season and looked and moved like a totally different athlete.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Post#18 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Sep 6, 2021 9:49 pm

Money_ wrote:Except Wiseman already shows 10x the upside than Randolph ever did. Randolph was a loose cannon always trying to play outside of his skill set or positional expectations. Wiseman has shown me much more than that in glimpses. We won't know or even get an idea of where he can go until we see him play 40-65 more games. I'm predicting that he will have much more value than an Anthony Randolph when all is said and done. He just needs to stay on the floor. The guy has spent so much time injured.

Actually....Baby Jesus showed a ton of upside. THAT's why everyone was so hyped. When did Wiseman score 30 in summer league and dominate ... anything?

I think the real difference will be the IQ and motivation. Something was "off" with BJ.

But in two years if Wiseman doesn't work out....the take that he's like BJ won't be wrong.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 204

Post#19 » by B-King » Tue Sep 7, 2021 1:08 am

I liked Randolph a lot when he was with the Dubs. The successful Summer League in Vegas where he was the MVP was the beginning of the end. He thought he was the second coming of Kevin Durrant. There is probably something else behind the scenes keeping him from playing in the NBA.

Wiseman is still growing into his body. I think he will fill out another 30lbs and will become a handful. What impresses me is that he is still trying to play a well rounded game. I do worry about him being overwhelmed, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. He basically went from HS to the NBA.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#20 » by azwfan » Tue Sep 7, 2021 1:33 am

This and the "transparency" thread have me asking 1 question: When the heck is training camp?

At least football starts this weekend so I'll have that to "bridge the gap" to the NBA season.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.

Return to Golden State Warriors