ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiseman could be like Anthony Randolph

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Re: Wiseman could be like Anthony Randolph 

Post#21 » by sjballer03 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 1:54 am

azwfan wrote:This and the "transparency" thread have me asking 1 question: When the heck is training camp?

At least football starts this weekend so I'll have that to "bridge the gap" to the NBA season.

The anti rookie camp and the anti front office camp have really been working overtime this off-season.

I will give credit to these recent posts. They are much more coherent than the previous waves of posts. These aren't coming from the usual **** posters, so maybe they're bringing in the big guns. :D
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#22 » by FNQ » Tue Sep 7, 2021 2:25 am

azwfan wrote:This and the "transparency" thread have me asking 1 question: When the heck is training camp?

At least football starts this weekend so I'll have that to "bridge the gap" to the NBA season.

That thread reminds me of early college when someone who was crazily coked up or on shrooms or something comes up to you and explains a very, very basic element of life but thinks its deep

I remember one kid who that realization that money was just paper and symbolic of value.. I wonder how that guy is doing right now
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#23 » by FNQ » Tue Sep 7, 2021 2:36 am

BTW any rookie could be like AR.. a ton of them are. Find any athletic talent, one that even has some good basketball skills, but has no BBIQ. Hell we just had an AR on the team last year before he chased a 80M contract that never was gonna happen

Yes, Wiseman could be like AR. So could Kuminga. So could any athletic talent that doesnt have proven BBIQ right now.

Its so vague and pointless

Whereas trading for him for Harrell, who IIRC has been shuttled from team to team because he's basically a slightly better Mo Speights.. just stop.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#24 » by whatisacenter » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:22 am

I gave up on football and am a casual giants fan. I’m mostly looking forward to training camp and the nba preseason. Luckily my son plays AAU leading up to his HS bball season to fill my sports fix.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,365

Post#25 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:08 am

DevinVassell wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Just for context, the environment Wiseman has around him, compared to the one Randolph had, are huge contrasts.

He was about 1ft to tall to have any chance on Nellys warriors.

If he was drafted by say... the spurs, we are probably looking at a better player down the road.

Definitely, Devin!

Just see his resume when he went to Europe:

EuroLeague champion (2018)
All-EuroLeague Second Team (2016)
All-EuroCup Second Team (2015)
2× Spanish League champion (2018, 2019)
Spanish Cup winner (2017)
3× Spanish Supercup winner (2018–2020)
All-Spanish League Second Team (2017)

... plus EuroBasket champion with Slovenia (2017)

I'd dare say that Anthony Randolph was one of the best Euroleague players of the past decade.

Cheers, bud.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#26 » by shazam_guy » Tue Sep 7, 2021 8:34 am

I hope you're enjoying this Giants season. It's definitely helping bridge the pre-basketball gap.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#27 » by DevinVassell » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:03 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Just for context, the environment Wiseman has around him, compared to the one Randolph had, are huge contrasts.

He was about 1ft to tall to have any chance on Nellys warriors.

If he was drafted by say... the spurs, we are probably looking at a better player down the road.

Definitely, Devin!

Just see his resume when he went to Europe:

EuroLeague champion (2018)
All-EuroLeague Second Team (2016)
All-EuroCup Second Team (2015)
2× Spanish League champion (2018, 2019)
Spanish Cup winner (2017)
3× Spanish Supercup winner (2018–2020)
All-Spanish League Second Team (2017)

... plus EuroBasket champion with Slovenia (2017)

I'd dare say that Anthony Randolph was one of the best Euroleague players of the past decade.

Cheers, bud.

Yeah, seems he has carved out a decent career.

I always liked him and still have a signed jersey somewhere. Good on him.
Currygoat
Senior
And1: 821

Post#28 » by Currygoat » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:19 pm

Lmao every Warrior fan thought Anthony Randolph would be a superstar back then lest be honest. Randolph had more skills then Wiseman
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#29 » by and1GS » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:59 pm

He absolutely did not have more skills than Wiseman. He was just a shiny object when we were trotting out Chris Mills and Danny Fortson.

I loved the potential of AR, but he was extremely limited. Couldn't shoot for **** with limited range, but was also a poor passer so had to play near the hoop where he...was not a good rebounder nor did he have the frame to put on more weight. My bet was always that his determination would pull him through. But that was a stupid thing to believe. And for people saying Wiseman is weak mentally...you clearly did not live through the AR era.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#30 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:37 pm

I don't think Wiseman is anything like Baby Jesus, but I get the comparison.

Baby Jesus is shooting 42.7% from 3 over the last 3 seasons on 4.8 attempts per game (7.2 per36).

Baby Jesus is only 32 and he's one of the better players in Europe, leading the best team in Europe for 5 years.

Do your thing, Bob. Bring Baby Jesus home. Use the MLE.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#31 » by a8bil » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:55 pm

Currygoat wrote:Lmao every Warrior fan thought Anthony Randolph would be a superstar back then lest be honest. Randolph had more skills then Wiseman
Where does BBIQ fit into your "skilz" analysis?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#32 » by watch1958 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:30 pm

Wiseman could be like some other guy, only sorta different.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#33 » by Old_Blue » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:04 pm

Just so many random comparisons as well as over emphasis on Wiseman's offensive game. What is going to dictate this kid's playing time (as well as how much remaining hair coach Kerr pulls out of his head) is Wiseman's defense. If there is someone here who wants to defend Wiseman's defense (pun intended), please be our guest.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#34 » by shazam_guy » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:12 pm

Yeah, let's start another thread for Wiseman's defense. By all means, let's have more discussion of people's opinions about Wiseman. Also we need some more about what Draymond and Durant said. I haven't seen a post about that in days.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,365

Post#35 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:49 pm

Old_Blue wrote:Just so many random comparisons as well as over emphasis on Wiseman's offensive game. What is going to dictate this kid's playing time (as well as how much remaining hair coach Kerr pulls out of his head) is Wiseman's defense. If there is someone here who wants to defend Wiseman's defense (pun intended), please be our guest.

Like a fart in the wind, you come and go when the stakes are low.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#36 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:00 am

Lacob puts a very high value on Wiseman - more than other teams put on him.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#37 » by xdrta+ » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:31 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Lacob puts a very high value on Wiseman - more than other teams put on him.

Really? I heard it's all non-transparent and you can't believe anything they say. :-?
threethehardway
Rookie
And1: 1,773

Post#38 » by threethehardway » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:52 am

Money_ wrote:Except Wiseman already shows 10x the upside than Randolph ever did. Randolph was a loose cannon always trying to play outside of his skill set or positional expectations. Wiseman has shown me much more than that in glimpses. We won't know or even get an idea of where he can go until we see him play 40-65 more games. I'm predicting that he will have much more value than an Anthony Randolph when all is said and done. He just needs to stay on the floor. The guy has spent so much time injured.

Rookie Anthony Randolph was a better player than Rookie Wiseman, played in a free for all system and he shown more intensity and basketball instincts.

From Basketball Reference
Anthony Randolph 16.9 PER, -1.5 OPM -0.8 DPM -2.3 BPM
James Wiseman 13.1 PER -4.0 OPM -1.4 DPM -5.4 BPM

The issue of "doing too much" Anthony Randolph had is common for any big toolsy player. Demarcus Cousins his first 3 years in the NBA was "doing too much", he was bringing the ball up the court and taking jumpers and it worked out for his development.
It's a matter of, do you want your lottery picks to be all-star/MVP type players or you want them to fit into a role. If you want a role player, then coach them like a role player and give them role player expectations.

According to the stats, Randolph's first two years with the Warriors were not objectively bad for a young player. There was something to work with. Once Nellie destroyed his confidence and put him in the dog house, he flamed out the NBA because no other team was invested in developing with him and his "doing too much" became a hinderance. They wanted to run the floor and block shots when he's not that type of player. He always was more of a wing than big man.

As a mature player in the Euroleague, Anthony Randolph is more like a Rashard Lewis/Kevin Durant than a Serge Ibaka.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#39 » by Money_ » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:33 am

threethehardway wrote:
Money_ wrote:Except Wiseman already shows 10x the upside than Randolph ever did. Randolph was a loose cannon always trying to play outside of his skill set or positional expectations. Wiseman has shown me much more than that in glimpses. We won't know or even get an idea of where he can go until we see him play 40-65 more games. I'm predicting that he will have much more value than an Anthony Randolph when all is said and done. He just needs to stay on the floor. The guy has spent so much time injured.

Rookie Anthony Randolph was a better player than Rookie Wiseman, played in a free for all system and he shown more intensity and basketball instincts.

From Basketball Reference
Anthony Randolph 16.9 PER, -1.5 OPM -0.8 DPM -2.3 BPM
James Wiseman 13.1 PER -4.0 OPM -1.4 DPM -5.4 BPM

The issue of "doing too much" Anthony Randolph had is common for any big toolsy player. Demarcus Cousins his first 3 years in the NBA was "doing too much", he was bringing the ball up the court and taking jumpers and it worked out for his development.
It's a matter of, do you want your lottery picks to be all-star/MVP type players or you want them to fit into a role. If you want a role player, then coach them like a role player and give them role player expectations.

According to the stats, Randolph's first two years with the Warriors were not objectively bad for a young player. There was something to work with. Once Nellie destroyed his confidence and put him in the dog house, he flamed out the NBA because no other team was invested in developing with him and his "doing too much" became a hinderance. They wanted to run the floor and block shots when he's not that type of player. He always was more of a wing than big man.

As a mature player in the Euroleague, Anthony Randolph is more like a Rashard Lewis/Kevin Durant than a Serge Ibaka.

Impressive stats... Different players, different positions, and they will definitely have different career trajectories when all is said and done. Wiseman will be a better player than AR.

Mainly, it comes down to bball IQ..
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#40 » by Flash Falcon X » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:02 am

I still believe Anthony Randolph had big potential.

7 footer with freakish athleticism. There’s a universe where he has some type of Jermaine O’Neal type of trajectory. Bench player first couple years, too young, then matures and someone finds a way to utilize his skill set properly.

I think the biggest forgotten skill about him is that he had LeBron-esque chasedown blocks. Every time someone tried to go to the rim on a fastbreak with AR on the floor I expected it to get blocked 90% of the time lol.

Luckily for Wiseman, he has greater physical tools and is so mature for his age. Also he has the perfect environment around him to begin his career. Literally a recent championship caliber environment whereas those Warriors in 2008 were on the verge of getting shaken up like crazy.
#DubNation

Return to Golden State Warriors