ImageImageImageImage

How bad was Isaac's knee injury?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,644

Re: How bad was Isaac's knee injury? 

Post#41 » by thelead » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:19 pm

It's a tank year anyway. I don't care if he's 'ready' to start the season. As long as he's back by January and shows in a limited role that he still has 'it' and stays healthy, we can call it a successful season for him. No need to put undue stress on his body. I would limit his minutes but play him with the starters.

What's the phrase for Chet? Bet on Chet?
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#42 » by YosemiteSam » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:50 pm

thelead wrote:It's a tank year anyway. I don't care if he's 'ready' to start the season. As long as he's back by January and shows in a limited role that he still has 'it' and stays healthy, we can call it a successful season for him. No need to put undue stress on his body. I would limit his minutes but play him with the starters.

What's the phrase for Chet? Bet on Chet?

Play sick for the 5th pick?

I'm sure with our luck we'll have the 2nd worse record but get jumped in the lottery...again.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#43 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:02 pm

My concerns with JI aren't injury related but more about his ceiling getting lower and lower with each injury/missed time. JI was a guy who needed a lot of development on the offensive to come close to his ceiling when drafted and each injury takes away from that. Instead of working on footwork and shot making, he's been rehabbing for 2.5 out of his 4 years in the league. Instead of adding to his game, he's constantly just trying to get back to where he was pre-injury. Maybe he's able to learn playmaking and such from watching videos or doing VR while rehabbing but I have to think that's no where near the same as it happening in real time.

I'm less concerned with Fultz on this front - because development was never really needed for him to be super successful.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#44 » by Def Swami » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:26 pm

In the very few YouTube clips I've seen, Chet Holmgren looks like a bigger injury risk than Isaac.
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by YosemiteSam » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:41 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:My concerns with JI aren't injury related but more about his ceiling getting lower and lower with each injury/missed time. JI was a guy who needed a lot of development on the offensive to come close to his ceiling when drafted and each injury takes away from that. Instead of working on footwork and shot making, he's been rehabbing for 2.5 out of his 4 years in the league. Instead of adding to his game, he's constantly just trying to get back to where he was pre-injury. Maybe he's able to learn playmaking and such from watching videos or doing VR while rehabbing but I have to think that's no where near the same as it happening in real time.

I'm less concerned with Fultz on this front - because development was never really needed for him to be super successful.

This. And some folks are happy with him missing ANOTHER year because we want to lose anyway. These folks remind me of people who buy things and keep them in the original box sealed rather than use them for their intended purposes. This kid has to play at some point right?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#46 » by orlando_joe » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:21 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:My concerns with JI aren't injury related but more about his ceiling getting lower and lower with each injury/missed time. JI was a guy who needed a lot of development on the offensive to come close to his ceiling when drafted and each injury takes away from that. Instead of working on footwork and shot making, he's been rehabbing for 2.5 out of his 4 years in the league. Instead of adding to his game, he's constantly just trying to get back to where he was pre-injury. Maybe he's able to learn playmaking and such from watching videos or doing VR while rehabbing but I have to think that's no where near the same as it happening in real time.

This. And some folks are happy with him missing ANOTHER year because we want to lose anyway. These folks remind me of people who buy things and keep them in the original box sealed rather than use them for their intended purposes. This kid has to play at some point right?

no one is happy?..come on...just saying he is coming off bad injury and came back to fast last time..why do you want to rush him back? if he is not clearly ready..that to me is like guy that buys a vet goes 150 and wreak it first day ..just because it can go 150...me i wait drive it a bit learn what it can do then go 150...lol
thelead
RealGM

Post#47 » by thelead » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:48 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:

I'm okay with playing it safe with him because we already gave him a fat contract. What good would it be to play him in every game and at 34mpg this season if he re-injures a knee?

I would LOVE for him to play 82 games at 34mpg but it just isn't happening. Spare yourself the grief and prepare mentally for what will likely be a Kawhi-like schedule for JI this season.
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by YosemiteSam » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:11 pm

thelead wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:

I'm okay with playing it safe with him because we already gave him a fat contract. What good would it be to play him in every game and at 34mpg this season if he re-injures a knee?

I would LOVE for him to play 82 games at 34mpg but it just isn't happening. Spare yourself the grief and prepare mentally for what will likely be a Kawhi-like schedule for JI this season.

Yes I am fine bringing him back slow. My comments were to a few posters who said they would be fine with him missing the season to get healthy since we are tanking anyway. He needs to play this season IMO. And I still would have not committed to 4 years.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#49 » by tiderulz » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:22 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:
thelead wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:

Yes I am fine bringing him back slow. My comments were to a few posters who said they would be fine with him missing the season to get healthy since we are tanking anyway. He needs to play this season IMO. And I still would have not committed to 4 years.

yes, its not like he was Kawhi/Durant before the injury, so if he is out for 1 yr or 2, he comes back all great. he is still a project, with continued injury issues
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#50 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:52 pm

Take as long as necessary. I don’t want him to re-injure himself, so if he needs more time both physically and mentally I am all for it.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Post#51 » by SHAQ32 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:38 am

Need to go ahead and retire the #1. Or avoid drafting players that use that number. Everyone seems to be injury-prone.
thelead
RealGM

Post#52 » by thelead » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:45 am

tiderulz wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:
thelead wrote:

yes, its not like he was Kawhi/Durant before the injury, so if he is out for 1 yr or 2, he comes back all great. he is still a project, with continued injury issues

No matter how much he plays, and he will play this season, your assessment of JI will still be true by the end of the season. It is what it is. The front office already paid the man.

Return to Orlando Magic