ImageImageImage

Evan Mobley -- Centerpiece of the Cavalier Rebuild?

Moderator: ijspeelman

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Re: Evan Mobley -- Centerpiece of the Cavalier Rebuild? 

Post#21 » by toooskies » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I’m curious. Are you in favor of throwing him into the fire, even with the size disadvantage? Or are you onboard with bringing him along slowly at the start of the season?

He's been practicing with one of the strongest C's in the league:

There's a lot more time to figure out what's best for Evan, but the plan seems to be to start him at PF. Rookie's typically struggle on defense regardless of size/strength. I think Evan's length, mobility, and smarts will help compensate for his liabilities. Knowing shots in the paint will be contested strongly (if not blocked) by Allen or Mobley may even give our defense an identity allowing the wings to defend closer.

Offensively we have a wild card in Rubio and how we deploy him is tbd, but we will be watching to see how much better Mobley is utilized when Rubio is on the floor .vs. our young guards.

Another wild card is Kevin Love. Nobody has any expectations for him at this point, but if Mobley struggles and Love (or Nance Jr) plays great the Cavs may have a tough choice, but given how bad the Cavs have been recently it shouldn't be too tough of a choice.

This might had been the season the Cavs stopped shoving lottery picks in the starting lineup, but every thing changed when we got #3.

The early season struggles are easy to predict, the Cavs start their season on the west coast swing that tanked last year's season.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:24 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I’m curious. Are you in favor of throwing him into the fire, even with the size disadvantage? Or are you onboard with bringing him along slowly at the start of the season?

He's been practicing with one of the strongest C's in the league:

There's a lot more time to figure out what's best for Evan, but the plan seems to be to start him at PF. Rookie's typically struggle on defense regardless of size/strength. I think Evan's length, mobility, and smarts will help compensate for his liabilities. Knowing shots in the paint will be contested strongly (if not blocked) by Allen or Mobley may even give our defense an identity allowing the wings to defend closer.

Offensively we have a wild card in Rubio and how we deploy him is tbd, but we will be watching to see how much better Mobley is utilized when Rubio is on the floor .vs. our young guards.

Another wild card is Kevin Love. Nobody has any expectations for him at this point, but if Mobley struggles and Love (or Nance Jr) plays great the Cavs may have a tough choice, but given how bad the Cavs have been recently it shouldn't be too tough of a choice.

This might had been the season the Cavs stopped shoving lottery picks in the starting lineup, but every thing changed when we got #3.

The early season struggles are easy to predict, the Cavs start their season on the west coast swing that tanked last year's season.

I'm not concerned with L's so much as if Mobley is getting physically beat up and/or clanking a ton of forced shots and we're forced to make a change. If it's physical, then bringing him off the bench .vs. reserves should help. If he's not being involved in the offense and struggling to create his own shot we could make his life easier by pairing him with Rubio and letting Ricky create for him.

Or we could just do what we always do and if he ends up being the worst player in the league, so be it.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#23 » by JonFromVA » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:18 pm

One thing I've seen people struggling with when projecting Mobley is that he shows promise in a lot of offensive areas, but doesn't dominate in any specific one.

But maybe this is a good thing?

If he can elevate his all-around skills he will end up becoming a much greater player than if he simply plays to a strength, and even so, his TS% of 62.4% was quite good, was tops on USC, far better than his brother's even though Isiah shot 43.6% from 3pt.

Our floor spacing is still potentially a huge problem, if our starters don't improve their shooting, here's hoping we stay healthy enough that at least we can experiment with some lineups with better spacing.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#24 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:11 pm

JonFromVA wrote:One thing I've seen people struggling with when projecting Mobley is that he shows promise in a lot of offensive areas, but doesn't dominate in any specific one.

If he can elevate his all-around skills he will end up becoming a much greater player than if he simply plays to a strength, and even so, his TS% of 62.4% was quite good, was tops on USC, far better than his brother's even though Isiah shot 43.6% from 3pt.

Our floor spacing is still potentially a huge problem, if our starters don't improve their shooting, here's hoping we stay healthy enough that at least we can experiment with some lineups with better spacing.

Floor spacing likely improves with Mobley, if his passing is going to be a developed part of his game.

Last year the Cavs were abhorrent passing out of the post. Only Hartenstein was good at it (a reason Cavs should bring him back).

I don’t expect Draymond or Joker type ball movement skills, but, peak Love in that 4-4.5 APG would be transformative.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#25 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:42 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:One thing I've seen people struggling with when projecting Mobley is that he shows promise in a lot of offensive areas, but doesn't dominate in any specific one.

Floor spacing likely improves with Mobley, if his passing is going to be a developed part of his game.

Last year the Cavs were abhorrent passing out of the post. Only Hartenstein was good at it (a reason Cavs should bring him back).

I don’t expect Draymond or Joker type ball movement skills, but, peak Love in that 4-4.5 APG would be transformative.

If not for the injuries last season we would have seen a lot more Love and Nance who both pass well for bigs. Evan Mobley may not be a better passer than either of them next season, and Love has quite a bit of gravity.

So, if our floor spacing actually improves with Mobley starting over Love, I imagine it's going to take some new offensive hocus-pocus, or guys improving their shooting greatly. For instance we could (and should) run sets with Mobley at the elbow but defenders are going to cheat off Allen or Okoro to deal with cutting actions. On the plus side, having a pair of 7-footers should make it easier to score if we can just create a little space near the rim. On the minus side, it won't take a 7-footer to muscle up Allen or Mobley and keep them away from the rim. So, we'll need a lot more movement then we were generating last season.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#26 » by toooskies » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Trying to parse what the Markkanen trade means for Mobley. I think we all penciled him in as the starting PF, but having Markkanen and Love still there probably means he's going to be the backup C unless he can guard the other team's SF?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,126

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:53 pm

toooskies wrote:Trying to parse what the Markkanen trade means for Mobley. I think we all penciled him in as the starting PF, but having Markkanen and Love still there probably means he's going to be the backup C unless he can guard the other team's SF?
He can't. Lauri will start at PF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#28 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:08 pm

toooskies wrote:Trying to parse what the Markkanen trade means for Mobley. I think we all penciled him in as the starting PF, but having Markkanen and Love still there probably means he's going to be the backup C unless he can guard the other team's SF?

The only reason to play Mobley at SF is to protect him from getting abused and hurt by bigs. Not dissimilar to Durant playing the SG position his first year in.

It’s not pretty defensively, but, it’s better than trips to the DL while he packs on 15% more body weight rapidly.

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#29 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

We'll see, but I'm not convinced this move changes Allen-Mobley-Okoro-Sexton-Garland as our starting lineup.

And I kind of like the idea of Markennan coming off the bench in a more featured scoring role with Rubio and one of Mobley or Allen.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:14 am

2022 NBA Rookie of the Year Predictions

Evan Mobley, Cleveland Cavaliers C

Odds: Long Shot with an Outside Chance

In today's NBA, young bigs have needed more time to develop than guards and wings. That pattern may continue with the 215-pound Mobley, who shot 34.9 percent in summer league. The Cavaliers bringing back Jarrett Allen and trading for Lauri Markkanen will also cut into the No. 3 pick's opportunities.

Mobley will still give Cleveland easy baskets, passing, defensive versatility, shot-blocking and flashes of face-up offense that hint at future star potential. Even as a rookie, he'll be one of the few 7-footers who'll be guarding forwards. He'll deliver some eye-opening glimpses of open-floor ball-handling and outside touch.

However, he lacks the physicality to consistently play through contact and win inside battles, and plays in a lineup dominated by Collin Sexton and Darius Garland, so it's unlikely Mobley will put up Rookie of the Year stats.
Bleacher Report
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#31 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:12 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

We'll see, but I'm not convinced this move changes Allen-Mobley-Okoro-Sexton-Garland as our starting lineup.

And I kind of like the idea of Markennan coming off the bench in a more featured scoring role with Rubio and one of Mobley or Allen.

I like the idea of Allen, Markkanen, Okoro, Sexton, Garland.

It puts a plus defender in the post and on the wing. Allen is a solid safety net for Garland/Sexton/Markkanen.

Markkanen offensive gravity offsets some of the offense loss from Okoro.

Rubio subbing for perimeter defense becomes viable, something was wasn’t with Nance/Mobley at the 4.

And assuming the glimpse we saw in SL of Mobley is accurate, that his defense will develop faster than his offense, then subbing him in comes with Windler at the 2/3 as you’ll have very good help defense in the post.

I’m coming around.

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#32 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:19 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:And assuming the glimpse we saw in SL of Mobley is accurate, that his defense will develop faster than his offense, then subbing him in comes with Windler at the 2/3 as you’ll have very good help defense in the post.

It was clear from USC that Mobley's defense is well ahead of his offense, but I wouldn't take anything away from Summer league. Still lots of time to firm up our conclusions of who should be doing what.

We might even be able to make use of pre-season this year for a change (in the past - we had vets who had to get their beauty rest).

I just have hard time believing after Ty Lue got fired for not starting Sexton who wasn't ready, and Garland and Okoro getting starting spots in-spite of not being ready that we'd do something different with our most prized lottery pick of them all.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#33 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Sep 9, 2021 12:10 am

Fair enough. I didn’t watch USC basketball. But also, Osman, Exum/Delly, and Jordan Clarkson weren’t exactly giving the Cavs to not go with Okoro/Garland/Sexton…

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:10 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:Fair enough. I didn’t watch USC basketball. But also, Osman, Exum/Delly, and Jordan Clarkson weren’t exactly giving the Cavs to not go with Okoro/Garland/Sexton…

Sure, on one hand it seems like we've made an investment in Lauri Markkenen and he should be as worthy as starting as anyone else on the team, but technically speaking we were paying Osman, Exum, Delly, Clarkson, JR, B Knight, and George Hill a big pile of money to watch rooks play.

As I see it, the only reason we won't start Mobley is if we decide it's not in his best interests not so much the teams. If we do go all-in on win now, then maybe, just maybe we'll make decisions based on what's working?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 8, 2021 4:49 pm

Read on Twitter
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 8, 2021 9:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

No rookie has ever won DPOY ... I'm going to try my hardest to hold back on pre-season hyperbole, but Evan hasn't seemed to miss a beat on the defensive side from what he was doing in College.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#37 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:01 pm

My thoughts on Evan Mueble exclusively out of 4 Early Pre-Season games (I don't watch basketball tournaments where players are too young to vote and drink).

He seems legit.

In fact (just out of 4 circus-games, mark you) I see him more consistent and solid than Garlandas and Sex Toon altogether, less disruptive for ball movement, miles better at defense and more ready to help the team to get Ws.

If he will become an All-Star or end up playing FIBA in a few years is just vain and baseless prophecy (some call that 'projection' I guess).

Today, I say he's a good pick and a man who can earn a fair spot into the rotation not because he's young and handsome and hyped by pedophile scouters but because he deserves it.

I will know him better along the season; at the moment, I can tell he's serious.
He doesn't pretend to be The Great And Awesome New Thing (as many hyped rookies do)... he just does what he's told, tries hard to recognize the right spots to be, doesn't stall the ball and plays tough defense.

Tough defense: that's what I specially like about him.

Of course, blocking highlights will be what most of people will see about his defense but he's far more than that. He's not scared, he hustles with focus and control and makes no jokes.

He needs to grow on awareness: he could be a killer locking passing lanes all around (something no stats will ever tell but massively impactful on the game).
As a rookie, I don't expect him to be great there yet but he should aim for it.

I like him so far.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#38 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:20 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:My thoughts on Evan Mueble exclusively out of 4 Early Pre-Season games (I don't watch basketball tournaments where players are too young to vote and drink).

He seems legit.

In fact (just out of 4 circus-games, mark you) I see him more consistent and solid than Garlandas and Sex Toon altogether, less disruptive for ball movement, miles better at defense and more ready to help the team to get Ws.

If he will become an All-Star or end up playing FIBA in a few years is just vain and baseless prophecy (some call that 'projection' I guess).

Today, I say he's a good pick and a man who can earn a fair spot into the rotation not because he's young and handsome and hyped by pedophile scouters but because he deserves it.

I will know him better along the season; at the moment, I can tell he's serious.
He doesn't pretend to be The Great And Awesome New Thing (as many hyped rookies do)... he just does what he's told, tries hard to recognize the right spots to be, doesn't stall the ball and plays tough defense.

Tough defense: that's what I specially like about him.

Of course, blocking highlights will be what most of people will see about his defense but he's far more than that. He's not scared, he hustles with focus and control and makes no jokes.

He needs to grow on awareness: he could be a killer locking passing lanes all around (something no stats will ever tell but massively impactful on the game).
As a rookie, I don't expect him to be great there yet but he should aim for it.

I like him so far.

Well, if you don't pay attention to the scouting stuff that goes on, you probably missed that his combination of blocks+steals+fouls committed were at a very high level in College (up there with Anthony Davis among recent NCAA bigs). It points to defensive intelligence and timing beyond his level of experience.

The question marks with Evan, IMO, are all on how far he can go on the offensive side ... minimally he's a great lob target, finisher, and will get putbacks, etc.

I don't think his floor is in doubt. He's going to have a long NBA career if he can stay healthy.

And to your point about his defense other than blocks, one thing very clear is that guys are trying hard to shoot over him to avoid getting their jumper blocked (rarely a concern in the NBA) and they're often missing long because of it.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#39 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:37 pm

I miss all of that the same I missed it with thousands of players who put great numbers at college and spent their prime running a Walmart Store.
Proud to miss it. I will always do.

I have no question mark about him at this point. I barely have semicolons.

Can't see very clearly so many missed jumpers because of him (not many more than out of Jarrete or Mari Karmen for instance) but I'll try to watch more carefully.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 am

Kid is a stud.

Get him an enforcer and a veteran PG for easy buckets.

Read on Twitter

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers