Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Re: Around The NBA 

Post#1161 » by TheStig » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:07 am

Dan Z wrote:I'm not sure what they could really offer the Sixers.

"Cavaliers Continue To Seek Trade For Ben Simmons":

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264022/Cavaliers-Continue-To-Seek-Trade-For-Ben-Simmons

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#1162 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:47 am

Dan Z wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
fleet wrote:
Read on Twitter

But I thought Shaq was just big with no skills? He was big, but bug with good footwork and speed. Big and string was part of his skill set for sure but everyone forgets how fast he could move when inspired. He also had an insanely quick jump for a man his size. He was easy to hate too because I mean what do you do against that? This was the admiral who was also super skilled and strong.

I was never a fan of his style of play, but Shaq was one of the most dominating players the NBA has ever seen. In his prime, when you passed him the ball down low, it was very difficult to stop him. The NBA didn't really know what to do to counter him (which is why hack a shaq happened). Imagine if he had the same drive of someone like Jordan? We'd probably be talking about GOAT with Shaq.

But that just isn't who he is (even though he was motivated...you don't get as far as he did without a certain level of motivation).

The NBA is lucky that Shaq had mental breakdowns at the FT line because if he didn’t just on physicality alone he would have been unstoppable. He was motivated for sure, he knew how and when to win, but he was never what Kobe or MJ were. He was OK being lazy and turning it on when he needed too. That being said he wasn’t lazy he just wasn’t elite.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#1163 » by MGB8 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:15 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264022/Cavaliers-Continue-To-Seek-Trade-For-Ben-Simmons

As soon as Rubio is tradable, Rubio+Sexton+Cedi Osman for Simmons works salary-wise. Add in a couple of protected firsts…, maybe sending back a low cost guy to Cleveland to conserve roster spots…(Isaiah Joe, Jaden Springer, maybe even Korkmaz…. but obvi not Maxey, Thybulle, Milton, Reed, and doubt Niang).
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#1164 » by sco » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:25 pm

MGB8 wrote:

As soon as Rubio is tradable, Rubio+Sexton+Cedi Osman for Simmons works salary-wise. Add in a couple of protected firsts…, maybe sending back a low cost guy to Cleveland to conserve roster spots…(Isaiah Joe, Jaden Springer, maybe even Korkmaz…. but obvi not Maxey, Thybulle, Milton, Reed, and doubt Niang).

Don't see that being enough...would need a 3rd team. Philly wants to win now so 1sts aren't gonna cut it. Maybe if the 1sts went to Tor and they got Siakam put in the deal.
:clap:
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#1165 » by MGB8 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:30 pm

sco wrote:
MGB8 wrote:

Don't see that being enough...would need a 3rd team. Philly wants to win now so 1sts aren't gonna cut it. Maybe if the 1sts went to Tor and they got Siakam put in the deal.

They reportedly wanted firsts from the GSW, so I'm thinking that they would want them - either as assets for other trades, or just to be able to add lower cost players around Embiid, Harris, and in this case soon-to-be Sexton.

I do think that Sexton would be an excellent fit for them.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Post#1166 » by Andi Obst » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:18 pm

MGB8 wrote:I do think that Sexton would be an excellent fit for them.

I'd agree to an extent because they definitely need a guy who can create for himself, but I don't think Sexton is good enough. The scoring is getting there, although I don't buy him as a high level playoff creator due to his physical limitations and shooting being a question mark, but he's sooooo bad as a passer. His ideal role, IMO, is 6th man. Plus I'm sure he's asking for way more than he deserves in free agency and dealing for him now kind of forces you to match stop offers next year.

I still think the Cavs somehow overpay Sexton this offseason.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#1167 » by kodo » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:00 pm

Apparently they think Lauri Markannen :roll:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-trade-rumors-cavs-want-214954206.html
NBA insider Marc Stein reported in a newsletter on his Substack on Tuesday that the Cavaliers have been particularly focused on trading for Simmons... and might've recently added a piece who could be used in a deal:

I don't see how this plays out without 3 teams being involved. Someone needs to really drink the kool-aid on the future star power of the Cavs young players and give up a top 20 player, which is what Morey wants.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#1168 » by PaKii94 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:46 pm

kodo wrote:

NBA insider Marc Stein reported in a newsletter on his Substack on Tuesday that the Cavaliers have been particularly focused on trading for Simmons... and might've recently added a piece who could be used in a deal:

I don't see how this plays out without 3 teams being involved. Someone needs to really drink the kool-aid on the future star power of the Cavs young players and give up a top 20 player, which is what Morey wants.

I think Lauri would fit really well next to Joel
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#1169 » by Grodoboldo » Wed Sep 8, 2021 6:04 pm

kodo wrote:

From the article:

"Evan Mobley is the presumed starting power forward for the Cavs, with $100MM man Allen slotting in at center, Fedor opines, which would make newly-acquired Lauri Markkanen the team’s de facto sixth man. How coach J.B. Bickerstaff manages the frontcourt situation is worth monitoring for a number of reasons, particularly because Markkanen was disappointed about coming off the bench for the Bulls last season, per K.C. Johnson of NBC Sports Chicago. According to Fedor, the Cavs have talked about having Mobley, Allen, and Markkanen each playing about 26-30 minutes per night."

Four years on that contract, right? Yeah, that should go well...
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1170 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Sep 9, 2021 12:28 am

Grodoboldo wrote:
kodo wrote:

From the article:

"Evan Mobley is the presumed starting power forward for the Cavs, with $100MM man Allen slotting in at center, Fedor opines, which would make newly-acquired Lauri Markkanen the team’s de facto sixth man. How coach J.B. Bickerstaff manages the frontcourt situation is worth monitoring for a number of reasons, particularly because Markkanen was disappointed about coming off the bench for the Bulls last season, per K.C. Johnson of NBC Sports Chicago. According to Fedor, the Cavs have talked about having Mobley, Allen, and Markkanen each playing about 26-30 minutes per night."

Four years on that contract, right? Yeah, that should go well...

I think that it won't be a big problem, I think Lauri wanted to start more to get a contract, which he just got. plus I think they are looking to trade one of the three of them to consolidate talent with one of Sex, Garland, Okuro. I would assume that Mobley and Garland they most want to keep but depending on the package in return... None of this looks like long term solutions, the Cavs are just getting as many assets as they can hoping they can trade for someone or strike rich on a talent (Mobley)
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,704

Post#1171 » by BullChit » Thu Sep 9, 2021 12:51 am

PaKii94 wrote:
kodo wrote:

I think Lauri would fit really well next to Joel

I think that too... Sexton would answer the backcourt scoring for them also, if not also create a bevy of other issues for them but at this point the 76'ers Contender stock has plummeted and they may have to take a risk or 2 an hope and pray it works

Having said that I'm pretty sure they have anything in the realm of picks to add to any kind of package to get Simmons based on what Philly reportedly want.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#1172 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Sep 9, 2021 1:07 am

Lillard confirmed on his Instagram that he will return to Portland, ending all trade rumors.

So we have to feel good about the pick conveying in 2022. It also means the pick is a legit trade piece.
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#1173 » by Grodoboldo » Thu Sep 9, 2021 1:22 am

Michael Jackson wrote:I think that it won't be a big problem, I think Lauri wanted to start more to get a contract, which he just got. plus I think they are looking to trade one of the three of them to consolidate talent with one of Sex, Garland, Okoro.

I bet they sure hope it won't be a problem. And, TBF, I think there's a good chance that it won't. It's just that the Cavs overpaying for bigs hoping to trade them in the future while Kevin Love and his 60 million dollars rot in their bench is still very funny to me.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1174 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Sep 9, 2021 5:16 am

Grodoboldo wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:I think that it won't be a big problem, I think Lauri wanted to start more to get a contract, which he just got. plus I think they are looking to trade one of the three of them to consolidate talent with one of Sex, Garland, Okoro.

I bet they sure hope it won't be a problem. And, TBF, I think there's a good chance that it won't. It's just that the Cavs overpaying for bigs hoping to trade them in the future while Kevin Love and his 60 million dollars rot in their bench is still very funny to me.

It’s Cleveland so I don’t expect it to work. That poor franchise has been cursed and Lebron is their only saving grace, and even with that they are lucky he came back after what Gilbert’s did. Their path isn’t the best path right now but they are kind of stuck imho so throwing s against the wall and hoping something sticks is likely the best strategy they came up with. That’s why I am impressed with AK, because that’s really what the Bulls could have done, and he at least has a plan of action. Will it work? Meh who knows but it is better to watch some kind of logic instead of what poor Cavs fans have had to deal with imho.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,871

Post#1175 » by Wingy » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:25 am

Repeat 3-peat wrote:Lillard confirmed on his Instagram that he will return to Portland, ending all trade rumors.

So we have to feel good about the pick conveying in 2022. It also means the pick is a legit trade piece.

Meh, don’t count your chickens, this is sports after all. Dame could easily get hurt, or CJ - and then they struggle.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1176 » by Pax for Prez » Thu Sep 9, 2021 9:39 pm

The Brooklyn Nets have requested waivers on center Jahlil Okafor.

Okafor (6’10”, 270) was acquired by the Nets in a trade with the Detroit Pistons on September 4. He’s seen action in 247 games (116 starts) in six seasons with Detroit (2020-21), New Orleans (2018-20), Brooklyn (2017-18) and Philadelphia (2015-17), posting averages of 10.4 points and 4.7 rebounds in 19.5 minutes per game.

https://www.nba.com/nets/news/2021/09/09/brooklyn-nets-waive-jahlil-okafor
Pax for Prez
Starter

Post#1177 » by Pax for Prez » Thu Sep 9, 2021 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Pax for Prez
Starter

Post#1178 » by Pax for Prez » Thu Sep 9, 2021 9:41 pm

Read on Twitter
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,951

Post#1179 » by Chi town » Thu Sep 9, 2021 9:54 pm

Simmons would be drama in CLE. He wants a CALI team. I think he'd be good with the Kings. But I wouldn't give up Fox for him.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#1180 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Sep 9, 2021 10:21 pm

I've sort of fallen in love with this CLE-PHI-SAS trade when all player can be dealt.

Cleveland trades: Sexton, Rubio, Windler, 2022 1st (top 3 protected, unprotected after), 2024 1st (top 3 protected, unprotected after).
Cleveland receives: Simmons

Cleveland gets the allstar/superstar they want, still young enough. Have to like a Garland-Simmons pairing with defense around them.

Philly trades: Simmons
Philly receives: Sexton, Thad Young, Dej Murray

Philly gets star power, backcourt long term solutions in Murray and Sexton, and gets Simmons-lite in Thad Young. They get win now pieces that fit nicely. Their defense become really freaking good by adding Murray and Young.

Spurs trade: Murray, Young
Spurs receive: Rubio, Windler, 2022 Cleveland 1st, 2024 Cleveland 1st.

Pop probably likes the idea of a guy like Rubio dishing it out to his young wings, and gets 2 really elite draft picks for losing Murray.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong

Return to Chicago Bulls