Memphis
3%

Total votes: 30

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Re: Best drafting front office? 

Post#21 » by shakes0 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 2:13 pm

DWhiteMamba wrote:The Hawks winning this poll epitomises the "what have you done for me lately" attitude of many. I debated not even including them given how little they've done so far. How they can compare to the Spurs or Raptors or Nuggets of this list I have no idea.

:lol: :lol: :lol: What have the Spurs accomplished in the last 5 years besides ending their streak of making the playoffs. Meanwhile this Hawks FO has already been to the ECF with the guys they drafted. Already have a superstar in Trae. Spurs don’t even have a single player who would be classified as a upper end starter let alone a star. Hawks have 3-4 players who are better than anyone the Spurs have drafted since Kawhi. Hunter, Collins, Huerter. All better than the overrated players drafted by Spurs who people only know because their coach disgustingly used his position of power with USA basketball to gift spots to Spurs players who had no business even being invited to the tryouts, let alone making the team.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Okongwu ends up better than any player on the Spurs right now. And if Reddish continues from where he left off in the ECF he would be better than anyone on the Spurs either.

Face it, if anyone should be left off this poll its the Spurs.

Plus look at the votes, no one agrees with you.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#22 » by Slim Charlez » Mon Sep 6, 2021 6:29 pm

shakes0 wrote:
DWhiteMamba wrote:The Hawks winning this poll epitomises the "what have you done for me lately" attitude of many. I debated not even including them given how little they've done so far. How they can compare to the Spurs or Raptors or Nuggets of this list I have no idea.

:lol: :lol: :lol: What have the Spurs accomplished in the last 5 years besides ending their streak of making the playoffs. Meanwhile this Hawks FO has already been to the ECF with the guys they drafted. Already have a superstar in Trae. Spurs don’t even have a single player who would be classified as a upper end starter let alone a star. Hawks have 3-4 players who are better than anyone the Spurs have drafted since Kawhi. Hunter, Collins, Huerter. All better than the overrated players drafted by Spurs who people only know because their coach disgustingly used his position of power with USA basketball to gift spots to Spurs players who had no business even being invited to the tryouts, let alone making the team.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Okongwu ends up better than any player on the Spurs right now. And if Reddish continues from where he left off in the ECF he would be better than anyone on the Spurs either.

Face it, if anyone should be left off this poll its the Spurs.

Plus look at the votes, no one agrees with you.

Haven't had a top ten pick in more than 20 years while the hawks have had how many in that time span? Most of the Spurs picks would go higher in a redraft btw, fault them for not bottoming out but they've done really well considering their draft positions.
DWhiteMamba
Junior
And1: 95

Post#23 » by DWhiteMamba » Mon Sep 6, 2021 8:57 pm

Yeh, it's about how you do with the picks you have, not who bottomed out most.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:40 pm

its not 'what have you done for me lately'...it's a real time analysis of Hawks front office ever since Schlenk has taken over, and imo, just based on the vision/archetypes they've drafted it's the one front office imo that is most in tune of the premier positions to and how to put a team together.

dude went to Atlanta, drafted John Collins which is a meh archetype but getting him at that point is still a steal.

he then follows it up with a Trae/Huerter combo (and i didn't even like the Trae pick at the time) to essentially replicate the Curry/Klay effect in Atlanta.

then he saw he needed 2-way wings on the roster around Trae/Huerter who were slated to be the offensive engines, and proceeded to draft Hunter/Reddish.

then he got 2 versatile bigs in Onyeka and Johnson for the front court, who can play both 4/5s holes at a decent capacity and fit perfectly into what that team looks like today with their roster and the other bigs they have (Capela/Collins). also nabbing Cooper in the 2nd round is insane value but we can even leave that out for now.

this is a front office that 1) understands what they are doing with their roster and how to build it and 2) understands the current landscape of the NBA and know what it takes to win in today's league.

again, to me, it's much more about philosophy/vision than 'did this team draft good player'...yes, drafting guys that can play is important, but understanding WHO to draft for and why you're drafting them and how to team build is just as important if not
more...and personally I don't trust anyone in the league today to build my team more than I would Schlenk and co. in Atlanta.

and this is just draft philosophy, didn't even get into supplementing it via FA/trades, with guys like Bogey, Gallo and Capela.

seems to me that u just wanted to make this thread so we can all give a pat on the back to the Spurs...which is fine...i personally loved the Vassell and Keldon picks...but don't throw a temper tantrum if people think others have been better the last few years.
DWhiteMamba
Junior

Post#25 » by DWhiteMamba » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:14 pm

I'm just giving people a chance to put themselves on the record now before next season ;)
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,229

Post#26 » by SNPA » Thu Sep 9, 2021 5:59 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Talent evaluation is though is it not? Same deal with Mitchell what comes after is what comes after.

But making the pick? Nuggets selected him.

Sixers drafted Bridges and trading him and so forth.

You still have to evaluate the talent.

Nuggets do pretty great at drafting on the backend in the past decade.

Dumb photo. Never post it again. Thank you.

-Kings fans

P.S. Why Vlade? Why?

(Weeping sounds)
DWhiteMamba
Junior

Post#27 » by DWhiteMamba » Thu Sep 9, 2021 6:15 am

I only wish Vlade had been dumb enough to trade us the #2 for Kawhi as we tried to get him to do; we were widely reported to want to use the pick to take Doncic. We need more Vlade's GM'ing every team that isn't mine lol.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#28 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Sep 9, 2021 6:25 pm

DWhiteMamba wrote:I only wish Vlade had been dumb enough to trade us the #2 for Kawhi as we tried to get him to do; we were widely reported to want to use the pick to take Doncic. We need more Vlade's GM'ing every team that isn't mine lol.

That was my dream that summer. Awful that he ended up going to Dallas of all places.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#29 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 pm

Toronto
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#30 » by DickGrayson » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:51 am

Hal14 wrote:Celtics don't get listed in the poll? Last few yrs they drafted:

Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Jayson Tatum
Robert Williams

All 4 of them signed contract extensions that will keep them all with the team for the next few years

Williams was the 27th pick in the draft, a steal. Payton Pritchard was the 26th pick in the draft, another steal as he was arguably a top 10 rookie last year.

Maybe the Celtics were left off cause the guy who drafted those players (ainge) is no longer in the front office?

Well, the rest of the front office / scouting department is still there..and Brad Stevens is now president of basketball operations - you know that he had some influence in those draft picks when he was head coach..

Treadmill team.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#31 » by Hal14 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:21 pm

DickGrayson wrote:

Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Jayson Tatum
Robert Williams

All 4 of them signed contract extensions that will keep them all with the team for the next few years

Williams was the 27th pick in the draft, a steal. Payton Pritchard was the 26th pick in the draft, another steal as he was arguably a top 10 rookie last year.

Maybe the Celtics were left off cause the guy who drafted those players (ainge) is no longer in the front office?

Well, the rest of the front office / scouting department is still there..and Brad Stevens is now president of basketball operations - you know that he had some influence in those draft picks when he was head coach..

Treadmill team.

The C's drafted smart in 2014, Brown in 2016, Tatum in 2017 and Robert williams in 2018. All 4 of them are locked. up, signed extensions with the team and will be in Boston through 2025.

The C's have made the playoffs every year since they drafted Smart. They made 3 ECF in a 4 year stretch with since they drafted smart. One of those times in 2020, they made the ECF with Tatum and Brown as their 2 best players, Smart made the game winning block to beat the Raptors that year and get the team to the ECF and Williams played valuable mins off the bench.

Tatum and Brown are all-stars. Smart is a 2x 1st team all defense. Williams last year was top 10 in the entire NBA in TS%, FG%, offensive rating, defensive rating, BPM, Win shares per 48 mins, blocks %, rebounding % and PER.

All 4 drafted since 2014. All 4 still with the team and all 4 are signed through 2025.

What other front office can say that?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#32 » by DickGrayson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:54 pm

Hal14 wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:

Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Jayson Tatum
Robert Williams

Treadmill team.

The C's drafted smart in 2014, Brown in 2016, Tatum in 2017 and Robert williams in 2018. All 4 of them are locked. up, signed extensions with the team and will be in Boston through 2025.

The C's have made the playoffs every year since they drafted Smart. They made 3 ECF in a 4 year stretch with since they drafted smart. One of those times in 2020, they made the ECF with Tatum and Brown as their 2 best players, Smart made the game winning block to beat the Raptors that year and get the team to the ECF and Williams played valuable mins off the bench.

Tatum and Brown are all-stars. Smart is a 2x 1st team all defense. Williams last year was top 10 in the entire NBA in TS%, FG%, offensive rating, defensive rating, BPM, Win shares per 48 mins, blocks %, rebounding % and PER.

All 4 drafted since 2014. All 4 still with the team and all 4 are signed through 2025.

What other front office can say that?

Celtics are great at drafting and developing, but putting together a team that can take the top 3 team in the East they kinda seem to take a step back in terms of the tier of contenders because they still don't have an answer at PG and SG.

Return to NBA Draft