ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,917

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1101 » by Vorticity » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:58 pm

Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,046

Post#1102 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:06 pm

Nurse to the 11 guys he met with in vegas for committment

"if you guys dont want to commit, will just play the under 19 guys" lollllll
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#1103 » by whitehops » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:28 am

720 wrote:I think one major key to Barnes' future success is the ability to absorb contact and finish. I think atm he is inconsistent with it which is why in a lot of plays it looks like he has no shot at finishing once he is fouled/hit with contact.

there's a lot that goes into it (dribbling, touch, etc.) but so many young prospects don't have the core strength/balance to handle contact. i'm sure he'll work on that and then should be a good finisher in a couple years with his insane reach.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#1104 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:59 am

What I was slightly surprised by is towards the end he was asked if Scottie will get much time or what his role will be like, Nick said pretty strongly that Barnes will get a ton of time...I love hearing that if true.

Not to say I was worried about being in the G League because obviously with all the success we had with developing guys there, it tends to workout well. But I'm just happy it sounds like Nurse has some confidence in Scottie and while he's not gonna be featured as heavily as the rest of the top 5... we're not gonna treat him like he is just some project player but what he is, a top 5 pick who's in a battle to get into the starting line up with a former all-star. It's also nice to see how he'll blend with different rotations. Pascal being out lends it to where get a glimpse into the future of him, OG & lesser extent GT Jr together.

Just overall glad sounds like we're not going to have to wait towards the mid-to-end of season like we have with some other rooks we've had and more from the jump like OG. Definitely looking forward to that.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,889

Post#1105 » by vulture » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:18 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:

What I was slightly surprised by is towards the end he was asked if Scottie will get much time or what his role will be like, Nick said pretty strongly that Barnes will get a ton of time...I love hearing that if true.

Not to say I was worried about being in the G League because obviously with all the success we had with developing guys there, it tends to workout well. But I'm just happy it sounds like Nurse has some confidence in Scottie and while he's not gonna be featured as heavily as the rest of the top 5... we're not gonna treat him like he is just some project player but what he is, a top 5 pick who's in a battle to get into the starting line up with a former all-star. It's also nice to see how he'll blend with different rotations. Pascal being out lends it to where get a glimpse into the future of him, OG & lesser extent GT Jr together.

Just overall glad sounds like we're not going to have to wait towards the mid-to-end of season like we have with some other rooks we've had and more from the jump like OG. Definitely looking forward to that.

I really think he will have the OG role from 2017 as a 5th option with the starters to start the year and playing a bench role once siakam is healthy.
His defense and playmaking is like a connective tissue for the starters and that's valuable for talented players.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,331

Post#1106 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:29 pm

In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Barnes came out earlier than OG and Siakam and while he was the higher draft pick, there's still going to be a lot of growing pains that come with developing a big, especially on the offensive side of ball.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,046

Post#1107 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:27 pm

As long as Barnes plays within the team structure and shows some flashes, that's enough for his rookie year.
gbball
Starter
And1: 2,288

Post#1108 » by gbball » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Not sure if this was posted, but I just saw it for the first time even though I've watched a ton of Youtube videos. But this is from his sophomore year in high school.

;ab_channel=HoopDiamonds
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#1109 » by Bruin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:50 am

Scotties throwing the first pitch at the Bluejays game on Friday
livnthedream416
Junior
And1: 1,101

Post#1110 » by livnthedream416 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:55 am

Scottie was just on IG live strolling the streets of Toronto with Dekker, Dragic and Gillespie.
Jatt
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,889

Post#1111 » by vulture » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 am

livnthedream416 wrote:Scottie was just on IG live strolling the streets of Toronto with Dekker, Dragic and Gillespie.

His ability to galvanize people is truly impressive. He’s gotta be the ultimate teammate!
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#1112 » by Bruin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 am

livnthedream416 wrote:Scottie was just on IG live strolling the streets of Toronto with Dekker, Dragic and Gillespie.

Wainwright too
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,535

Post#1113 » by C_Money » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:11 am

Damn, looks like I missed it :(
Federalies
Rookie
And1: 1,424

Post#1114 » by Federalies » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 am

Here you go Boyz!

anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#1115 » by anotherhomer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:51 pm

OG got playing time because he fit in with the starting line-up

in the same way, i think as mentioned, his defense, and play-making will help him fit in.

i can see Nurse trusting Barnes ahead of Boucher later in the season, given Nurse preference for players who "play" the right way

vulture wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:

I really think he will have the OG role from 2017 as a 5th option with the starters to start the year and playing a bench role once siakam is healthy.
His defense and playmaking is like a connective tissue for the starters and that's valuable for talented players.
Jerry Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 756

Post#1116 » by Jerry Lucas » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:59 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Barnes came out earlier than OG and Siakam and while he was the higher draft pick, there's still going to be a lot of growing pains that come with developing a big, especially on the offensive side of ball.

OG was the 23rd overall pick and Pascal was 27th overall. I think it's fair for the expectations of our 4th overall pick to be higher than that.
Tre Mann should have been a Top 10 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 22,975

Post#1117 » by HumbleRen » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:In their rookie years, Siakam at 22 years old put up 4/3 in 15 mins and OG at 20 years old put up 6/2 in 20 mins.

OG was the 23rd overall pick and Pascal was 27th overall. I think it's fair for the expectations of our 4th overall pick to be higher than that.

9/4/2 reasonable ?
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,331

Post#1118 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Jerry Lucas wrote:

You can have higher expectations in terms of impact because Barnes already seems to be NBA ready from a size/defensive/playmaking standpoint but he's going to have a lot of the same offensive limitations as those two other guys.
BBallInSight
Sixth Man
And1: 1,337

Post#1119 » by BBallInSight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 am

I think Barnes is a slightly more offensive JYD. Have a nice day.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#1120 » by everdiso » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:48 am

I don't really understand why anyone would set Barnes' expectations using late 1st round picks - especially since those late 1st round picks were joining teams with much higher expectations and more established veterans.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."

Return to Toronto Raptors