Cam's Future

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Re: Cam's Future 

Post#61 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 6, 2021 6:59 pm

Chris Kirchner wrote:Is Cam Reddish a long-term answer? — Noah W.

It depends on what you’re looking for. Long-term answer, meaning he’s a top-two player on the roster? Quality starter? High-performing bench player? He’s played in 84 career regular-season games, and the majority of them have been underwhelming. He’s played 92 postseason minutes and shot 64 percent from 3, which is obviously unsustainable.

I think everyone just needs to temper their expectations when it comes to Reddish. It’s still entirely early to say he’s not going to pan out, but with the limited sample, I have no idea what kind of player he might end up becoming. We’ve seen the flashes of something special, but there’s been zero consistency so far. I need to see some sort of consistency to imagine he’s going to be anything more than a role player, because the consistency we have seen is him being good defensively and poor offensively, which equates to being a solid role player.

Chris Kirchner wrote:How close around the draft were the Hawks to moving Cam Reddish? And if they were to move him, what player in that draft range were they targeting? — Reggie M.

From what I was told, it was never imminent. They definitely explored their options when it came to trading him around the draft. Like I’ve been saying this entire time, when it comes to Reddish and the possibility of trading him, they don’t have to do anything right now if it doesn’t make sense. It’s not like they’re pressed to move him. I do think he’s the likeliest player out of the young core to eventually get dealt, and it wouldn’t be too surprising if he wasn’t on the team by the start of the season if they wanted to make a move for next year’s draft. I can see a rebuilding team taking a swing on him and hoping he realizes his potential. As far as who they might’ve been targeting if they moved up in the draft, I honestly do not know.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:48 pm

Trade or Keep: NBA's Top Trade Targets

Cam Reddish, G/F, Atlanta Hawks

Reasons to Keep

Reddish was viewed as a boom-or-bust prospect coming out of his freshman season at Duke, offering enough upside and intrigue to be selected No. 10 overall by the Hawks in 2019.

Now going into his third year, injuries have prevented us from getting a clear picture of who Reddish is and who he could be.

With just 84 games under his belt in two seasons, now is not the time to give up on Reddish.

With a nearly identical frame to Paul George at 6'8" and 218 pounds, Reddish turned 22 years old this month. We've seen flashes of his outside shooting ability (going 6-of-7 from three against the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals), even if his career mark (30.9) isn't inspiring just yet.

Reddish also has elite defensive potential with his size and 7'1" wingspan in a league that now craves wing defenders. Add in a natural scoring ability, and Reddish could be a two-way force if he can stay healthy.

A sore Achilles robbed most of his sophomore season, but Reddish is too talented to trade now.

Reasons to Trade

While the Hawks aren't actively shopping Reddish, the team seems willing to at least talk about the possibility of a trade. Cleveland.com's Chris Fedor reported in August the Cavaliers had "been in contact" about Reddish, but that the price remained high.

Even if Atlanta likes Reddish and wants to keep him long term, there will be some financial complications associated with it.

Trae Young just signed a five-year, $207 million rookie extension, John Collins agreed to a five-year, $125 million deal and the Hawks still have DeAndre Hunter, Kevin Huerter and Onyeka Okongwu on rookie deals who will need to be paid in the upcoming years.

Reddish isn't even a guaranteed starter on this team, with Hunter, Huerter and Bogdan Bogdanovic all fighting over the two wing spots.

If the Hawks want to go big-game hunting on the trade market, Reddish would likely have to be the centerpiece of any deal as well.

Conclusion: Hold on to Reddish for now, his skill level (and trade value) should only improve.
Bleacher Report
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#63 » by HMFFL » Thu Sep 9, 2021 5:19 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I'm curious to see who Cam is next season especially as a shooter. Is he the guy that played in his first 2 regular seasons or the guy that looked so great vs Milwaukee in the playoffs? Now I do not expect him to shoot 64% from 3 (like in the playoffs) but hopefully he gained a lot of shooting confidence in the playoffs and it carries over for more success.
Next year will possibly determine his future. We cannot pay everyone just like the Braves wont oay all of their young hitters, son we really need to see something special from Cam.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:21 pm

Chris Kirchner wrote:Hawks fan survey results

As written many times in these parts, Reddish played well in the Bucks series, but it’s such a small sample size to evaluate what his future can be. We’ve seen the flashes with Reddish but almost zero consistency through two seasons. I do think he can become a quality starter at some point, as the slight majority thinks in this poll, but I once thought Reddish had superstar potential because of his skill set. I’ve completely cooled off on that thinking for now.

It’s a critical year for Reddish because he will become extension eligible this coming offseason. If he’s still inconsistent this season, I see almost no scenario where he ends up getting a contract extension before Year 4.

Reddish makes sense to be the pick here because he’s likely to be behind Bogdan Bogdanovic, Hunter and Kevin Huerter on the depth chart, and for the reasons I listed in the previous question. He’s also a great candidate to be someone whom another organization takes a chance, sees the flashes and thinks that team can unleash all of his potential. He’s a top-10 pick, so another team would definitely take a chance on him, but I’m not sure he has the value to be the main player in a trade for a star. He’d likely have to be packaged with another one of the young players.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:12 pm

Every NBA Team's Top Breakout Candidate in 2021-22

Atlanta Hawks: G/F Cam Reddish

At his best, Reddish could be the next Paul George—a tall, silky-smooth wing who can dominate on both ends of the ball. At his worst, well, we caught a glimpse of that last year as the second-year forward ranked dead last in field-goal percentage (36.5) among 126 players attempting at least 10 shots per game.

Reddish was hampered by a sore Achilles for much of last year, and a clean bill of health in 2021-22 could make a world of difference for the 22-year-old.

Although he could begin the season off the bench for a loaded Hawks team, Reddish showed us what he was capable of with a 21-point performance against the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals, nailing six of his seven three-point attempts.

With Trae Young already established as a superstar and John Collins and De'Andre Hunter looking like potential All-Stars, it's Reddish's turn to show he's the next big thing in Atlanta.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 1, 2021 1:21 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:27 am

Ugh…

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#68 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:51 am

Chris Kirchner wrote:For Reddish, it wasn’t an accident that he played the most minutes for the Hawks in the preseason; McMillan made it clear how he needed to see what he had in him before the regular season began because he didn’t get to coach him in a game last season until the Eastern Conference finals. I thought Reddish was mostly what he’s been through his first two seasons, and that’s inconsistent. He, once again, showed flashes of being special, but he wasn’t able to fully put it together. He made 18 of his 52 field goal attempts and had just one assist in 92 minutes played. That’s not going to cut it, and with McMillan saying several times how there’s just no time to waste to get guys in a rhythm and to work through struggles, Reddish could see himself losing out on minutes.

Tony Ressler said it’s a “good bet” that not everyone on the roster, particularly the heart of this roster, will be retained long term. With Young, Collins, Capela, Huerter and Bogdan Bogdanovic all signed for multi-year deals, could Reddish ultimately be the first of the young core to leave Atlanta?
The Athletic
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#69 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:42 am

If Cam can string some game together...watch out.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#70 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 am

It looks like a now healthy Cam is very quickly becoming the player many of us anticipated. Best part is that he still has tons of upside
jayu70
RealGM

Post#71 » by jayu70 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:10 pm

Solid first two games. He looks patient and not spead up.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#72 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:49 am

Read on Twitter

In a list of potential trade targets at Hoopshype, Michael Scotto threw out an interesting name and had executives thinking he might be available — Atlanta wing Cam Reddish. The team tested the waters on trading him during the offseason.

Code: Select all

“He fits the mold that teams have a need for right now,” another NBA executive told HoopsHype. “He’s a 6-foot-8 athletic and versatile player that can make shots. He can create with the ball. He’s got the skillset tools and size. Right now, he doesn’t have a good sample size of being consistent. It’s just been flashes. He’s definitely somebody I’d be going after.”

One of the executives who spoke with HoopsHype believes a team would be willing to give up a protected lottery pick for Reddish.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#73 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:19 am

So far so good.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#74 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:13 pm

I want Cam to spend the next 6 weeks stewing after these plays -- just waiting for revenge.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 5, 2021 2:20 am

Seven NBA players you might not know but need to

Cam Reddish, Atlanta

After two years of teasing us with occasional highlights and lots of cringe shot-creation escapades, the Reddish breakout may be upon us. The 6-8 forward has been one of the pleasant surprises amid a sluggish start in Atlanta, all but taking over the top perimeter reserve minutes in the wake of whatever is going on with Kevin Huerter.

The core development has been a more consistent shooting stroke, as Reddish has made 44.4 percent from downtown in the early going. But this isn’t just a case of shooting variance. Reddish has also spiked his usage and is creating much more of his own offense rather than subsisting on Trae Young-delivered catch and shoots. That he’s done so without spiking his turnover rate is notable, as Reddish’s dribbling misadventures were a theme in his first two seasons. Finally, Reddish is an 81.2 percent career foul shooter, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised that he’s starting to knock down 3s at age 22.

Reddish also has been consistent (!), scoring at least 15 points in six of the Hawks’ seven games. His ledger prior to this season included occasional tempting outbursts, but only two stretches where he’s scored at least 15 on consecutive nights.

With his size, Reddish can get a shot up over the defense at will, and the result is 31.2 points per 100 possessions thus far — nearly double his rate of a year ago. His PER actually has doubled, from last year’s paltry 9.3 to this year’s 18.5. As a result, he’s going to be an important player on one of the East’s most important teams, and the last player on my roster of players you don’t know about whom you need to know about.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:51 pm

Ten NBA Players on the Verge of a Breakthrough

A new season means new players stepping to the forefront. Here are a handful who look like they could make a leap two weeks into 2021-22.

Cam Reddish, Atlanta

Remember Reddish’s Shaqtin’ a Fool moment from his rookie season?
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
At the time, Reddish couldn’t dribble, shoot, or do much of anything on offense. But versatile defense was his calling card through two seasons, and his flashes on offense were enough to keep fans invested. This season, things are finally clicking.

Reddish has a far tighter handle that he uses to run offense when Trae Young isn’t on the floor. He’s comfortable in the pick-and-roll, and now he has a more consistent jump shot. With Reddish’s defensive ability, his emerging offense could soon make him one of the better two-way role players in the league. That’s the type of support Young and the Hawks will need to go even deeper in the playoffs.
The Ringer
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#77 » by D21 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 10:25 pm

On the first game, he was showing good things, since he has absolutely no impact on the game, the BKN game being the worst.

I'm starting to think that last season, with always at least one important player being injured, was easier to manage playing time and rotations. There were even sometimes not so much choices.
Now, lots of choices, and Nate may have not found the best lineups, that's why I don't find this start alarming.
But it's possible that Cam can play very well with some players, and not with others, and maybe with Hunter at this moment.
It's a wings combo that can afraid a lot of opponent shooters potentially, but they have to learn how to play together because they didn't last year.
I won't look at his personal stats but only at what the team is doing when he's on the floor, and it was not good in the last games. I hope Cam can understand that nobody here wants him to be the MIP or anything else more than the team dominating when he plays.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#78 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:30 am

Chris Kirchner wrote:Out of the players who consistently get minutes, Reddish has been a team-worst minus-8.6, meaning the Hawks are 8.6 points better per 100 possessions when he’s off the floor. He’s shooting under 40 percent from the field and has just 12 assists in 14 games. The offense just stagnates when the ball is in his hands.

...the way he’s playing right now is not what the Hawks need to reach their potential. He needs to be a catch-and-shoot guy almost exclusively because his handle is too loose to be the initiator he wants to be; he has 22 turnovers to his 12 assists, and most of those are just cases of his losing the ball off live dribbles. It’s clear to me and NBA scouts who I’ve spoken with on the road this season that Reddish might be better off on a rebuilding team where he can get all of the shots he wants to work through any slump he might have. The way he’s playing just can’t work for a team wanting to win a title. His on-ball defense, the area where he tends to excel, hasn’t been crisp this season, either. He gambles in the passing lanes too much, even with his having a team-leading 15 steals, and it results in frequent easy looks for his matchups.
The Athletic
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,955

Post#80 » by shakes0 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:13 pm

jayu70 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:It wasn't a matter of minutes, it was the role and how he used him. Similar to how Pierce used Bogi to start the season as a strictly floor spreading spot up shooter, just standing still spotting up from 3 as opposed to how Nate is using him and running specific plays for him, getting him on the move. Making use of his versatility.

standing still at the 3pt line waiting for better players to get him the ball is the only role Reddish should get right now unless he proves that he is better than that. he sure didn't prove that this year.

That makes ZERO sense when you look at his 3pt percentages.

you still feel this way Jay?

Looks like my opinion was correct and we would be much better off if Cam just stood at the 3pt line waiting for catch and shoot opportunities.

If I was coach I would pull him any time he attempted a step back 3.

Return to Atlanta Hawks