Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,949

Re: The LeBron Thread 2021 Off-Season Edition 

Post#1861 » by thebigbird » Sat Sep 4, 2021 2:19 am

LAL1947 wrote:
thebigbird wrote:Pelinka is so bad.

I think Pelinka is the best GM in the league TBH.
Hope the Lakers part ways with him so he can join the Mavs and help rescue Luka from Mark Cuban and his current FO. He'll knock it out of the park being able to build a team around Luka with no interference/demands from LeKlutch.

He’d be all yours if I had a say. Funny that you make a crack about “LeKlutch” when LeBron’s wife wanting to live in LA is the only reason the Lakers aren’t still idling in the lottery.
letskissbro
Rookie
And1: 1,405

Post#1862 » by letskissbro » Sat Sep 4, 2021 2:27 am

Pelinka is the WOAT GM. Funny how Magic ended up being the fall guy the first year.
Doctor MJ wrote:I like the analogy with Curry as Coca-Cola. And then I'd say Iverson was Lean.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#1863 » by LAL1947 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 2:32 am

letskissbro wrote:Pelinka is the WOAT GM. Funny how Magic ended up being the fall guy the first year.

Lol, this is revisionist history at its very finest... Magic was a disaster as GM... and Pelinka had to clean up the crap he left behind and steady the ship. Do you even remember the stories about Magic not showing up to the office regularly yet making the calls on who to draft/hire? Do you remember how Magic flaked out and quit in such an unprofessional manner?? Then he threw his replacement and organization under the bus with interviews he gave, to maintain his public image with fools who would buy what he said rather than look at how bad he did... and while trying to suck up to Jeanie, so he remained in her good books... and with not even a word to the superstar he recruited?? That must have been quite comforting to Lebron, right? Having the same guy who recruited him, quit on him... without even giving him a heads-up? It would have been a good enough reason for LeBron to demand a trade out of LA.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Post#1864 » by Mos_Heat » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:04 am

Is this a prank or something?
:reporter:
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Post#1865 » by Mos_Heat » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:07 am

Rondo + DJ + Melo = 7.8 millions which is almost Caruso's starting salary in 21-22 season. Amazing Gming
:reporter:
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

The LeBron Thread 2021 Off-Season Edition 

Post#1866 » by Greyhound » Sat Sep 4, 2021 7:27 pm

Westbrook / Nunn / Rondo
*Monk / *Bazemore / *Ellington
Ariza / *THT
James / Anthony
Davis / Howard / Jordan / (Gasol)

Bold = likely starter locks.
* = Competitors for the starting SG spot.
() = Rights to.

I expect the SG battle to be fierce and the most interesting thing heading into training camp.

———-

All the bellyaching (and displeasure with Pelinka) aside, that seems like a physical, competitive, #1 seed in the west caliber team.
Don't believe the hype...
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1867 » by nzahir » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:52 am

Greyhound wrote:Westbrook / Nunn / Rondo
Ariza / *THT
James / Anthony

() = Rights to.

I expect the SG battle to be fierce and the most interesting thing heading into training camp.

———-

All the bellyaching (and displeasure with Pelinka) aside, that seems like a physical, competitive, #1 seed in the west caliber team.

Who is playing the chaser role in that starting lineup?

It seems like Bazemore needs to start or even Nunn (but then we get too small)

If Gasol stays:

Russ/Nunn
Baze (can be Ariza depending on the matchup)/Monk
Lebron/THT
AD/Ariza
Gasol/Dwight

Melo will have some role, especially if Ariza is washed or Monk isn't stepping up

I can sadly see Rondo getting time

I would try to get an upgrade at the 2 or combine a couple guys on the bench for 1 piece

I don't like THT's fit on the team considering we have Lebron, Russ, and now even Rondo

Would rather have a 3 and d guy, barring THT doesn't become a good 3 pt shooter
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#1868 » by falcolombardi » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:49 am

Carmelo as lebron back up is yikes inducing

i can see a scenario where melo minutes tank the lakers one bad defense and a long 2 step back at a time
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,172

Post#1869 » by donnieme » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:10 pm

falcolombardi wrote:Carmelo as lebron back up is yikes inducing

i can see a scenario where melo minutes tank the lakers one bad defense and a long 2 step back at a time

I see the Lakers 2nd lineup is AD plus bench players and the 3rd is Lebron plus bench players so can sort of guess where Rondo and Carmelo fit respectively. Carmelo will likely take Harrell's rotation position where he's always on the floor with Lebron. Lebron somehow had Harrell as the top defensive duo in 2 man lineups (I say Lebron because it sure wasn't Harrell).

It's the playoffs where flaws really start to come out when deciding crossmatches. Wouldn't be surprised to see Melo's minutes fall. Nothing personal but if a team like the Suns have pick and roll threats roaming their frontcourt no coach is putting Lebron and/or AD on one just so Melo can rest in the corner. As with Harrell Melo will guard them, get cooked on 2 possessions and Vogel will feel inclined to pull the plug till the next matchup.
Greyhound
Lead Assistant

Post#1870 » by Greyhound » Thu Sep 9, 2021 7:11 pm

nzahir wrote:
Greyhound wrote:Westbrook / Nunn / Rondo
Ariza / *THT
James / Anthony

() = Rights to.

———-

Who is playing the chaser role in that starting lineup?

It seems like Bazemore needs to start or even Nunn (but then we get too small)

If Gasol stays:

Russ/Nunn
Baze (can be Ariza depending on the matchup)/Monk
Lebron/THT
AD/Ariza
Gasol/Dwight

Melo will have some role, especially if Ariza is washed or Monk isn't stepping up

I can sadly see Rondo getting time

I would try to get an upgrade at the 2 or combine a couple guys on the bench for 1 piece

I don't like THT's fit on the team considering we have Lebron, Russ, and now even Rondo

Would rather have a 3 and d guy, barring THT doesn't become a good 3 pt shooter

Whomever wins the starting SG spot between THT, Bazemore or Ellington. In the case of Monk or Nunn, they will defend the starting PG and Westbrook will be tasked with chasing SG’s.

This will be sorted out in training camp.

———-

I don’t think Gasol will be starting, as I do not think he will return. The question is if the Lakers hold onto his rights/slot (I am hoping they do).

Looking at the roster construction, I am all but certain that Davis will start at center, Howard will back him up and Jordan will serve an emergency/insurance big.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,227

Post#1871 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Sep 9, 2021 7:21 pm

thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,949

Post#1872 » by thebigbird » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:23 am

I’m honestly pretty annoyed with AD at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a big hand in all of the Lakers’ bad roster decisions this off-season. His refusal to play center creates massive logjams in the paint that hurt the team offensively. He better have a big bounce back year after his disaster of a season last year.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#1873 » by homecourtloss » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:35 am

thebigbird wrote:I’m honestly pretty annoyed with AD at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a big hand in all of the Lakers’ bad roster decisions this off-season. His refusal to play center creates massive logjams in the paint that hurt the team offensively. He better have a big bounce back year after his disaster of a season last year.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Caruso was better last year than every single one of the Lakers’ acquisition and if taking into consideration flexibility and role, better than Westbrook as well. Gasol did very well on a healthy Lakers team and was better than Howard was last year and miles and miles better than DeAndre “DNP-CD” Jordan. To be honest, Caruso, KCP, Gasol, Kuzma, and Schroeder overall probably add more wins than Melo, DAJ, Howard, Ariza, Westbrook.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#1874 » by LAL1947 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:25 am

thebigbird wrote:I’m honestly pretty annoyed with AD at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a big hand in all of the Lakers’ bad roster decisions this off-season. His refusal to play center creates massive logjams in the paint that hurt the team offensively. He better have a big bounce back year after his disaster of a season last year.

From Kuzma's recent interview, we know Pelinka lined up a trade of Kuz + Trez to the Kings for Buddy Hield... but Lebron and AD had other plans. First it was reported they followed Westbrook's wife on Twitter, then had that dinner with him... next thing Kuz knows, the SAC trade was off and he's on his way to the Wizards instead.

Don't sweat the center thing too much though. This will be like 2019-20 all over again. Dwight/Gasol/DJ are filler to use at center during the regular season and against Jokic. AD should play there for the important parts of important games.
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#1875 » by frozt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:10 am

The amount of assumptions being made in this thread to evaluate someone's talent as a GM is hilarious. "AD clearly wanted this it's obvious." "Pelinka clearly decided this and it wasn't on ownership." etc... We don't even know how this roster ends up people already jumping to conclusions. :lol:
Resident band wagon vigilante.
Greyhound
Lead Assistant

Post#1876 » by Greyhound » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:12 pm

homecourtloss wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Caruso was better last year than every single one of the Lakers’ acquisition and if taking into consideration flexibility and role, better than Westbrook as well. Gasol did very well on a healthy Lakers team and was better than Howard was last year and miles and miles better than DeAndre “DNP-CD” Jordan. To be honest, Caruso, KCP, Gasol, Kuzma, and Schroeder overall probably add more wins than Melo, DAJ, Howard, Ariza, Westbrook.

Stop it.

I was with you, then you went off the rails guy.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1877 » by nzahir » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:44 pm

Gasol back to Spain, ****!!!

The spacing is an issue AGAIN and now we don't even have some of those elite defenders

AD should start at the 5, but I can already tell its going to be DJ or Dwight

Russ/Nunn/Rondo
Bazemore/Monk or Ellington
Lebron/THT
AD/Melo or Ariza
Dwight/DAJ

I can see us starting Monk or Ellington or even Nunn in this 1st lineup to have at least 1 good shooter, but the issue is the defense

Who will guard elite wings or larger guards? What if a team has multiple, that is an issue

Would make more sense to start

Russ/Nunn
1 of Monk or Wayne/THT
1 of Bazemore or Ariza
Lebron/Melo
AD/Dwight

If Ariza and Bazemore are still good this season, you can close with both depending on the matchup and the big 3

The reason you may want 1 off the bench is to help some of the other defenders

I honestly don't see the THT fit here

While he has some really nice physical tools and is skilled at finishing and getting to the basket, I would love a 3 and d guard/wing instead
Greyhound
Lead Assistant

Post#1878 » by Greyhound » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:46 pm

nzahir wrote:Gasol back to Spain, ****!!!

The spacing is an issue AGAIN and now we don't even have some of those elite defenders

AD should start at the 5, but I can already tell its going to be DJ or Dwight

Russ/Nunn/Rondo
Bazemore/Monk or Ellington
Lebron/THT
AD/Melo or Ariza
Dwight/DAJ

I can see us starting Monk or Ellington or even Nunn in this 1st lineup to have at least 1 good shooter, but the issue is the defense

Who will guard elite wings or larger guards? What if a team has multiple, that is an issue

Would make more sense to start

Russ/Nunn
1 of Monk or Wayne/THT
1 of Bazemore or Ariza
Lebron/Melo
AD/Dwight

If Ariza and Bazemore are still good this season, you can close with both depending on the matchup and the big 3

The reason you may want 1 off the bench is to help some of the other defenders

I honestly don't see the THT fit here

While he has some really nice physical tools and is skilled at finishing and getting to the basket, I would love a 3 and d guard/wing instead

If by Gasol back to Spain you mean Gasol getting bought out, then signing with either the Nets or the Bucks, then yes…

Gasol back to Spain.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,172

Post#1879 » by donnieme » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 pm

Greyhound wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Stop it.

I was with you, then you went off the rails guy.

Yeah I'm no Westbrook fan but my man HCL def went rogue on that one. I'll try meet him halfway and say I'd take any positive impact contributor over several versions of Westbrook if the goal is to win. Maybe also underestimated Dwight's contribution in 20. Dwight's high point was stopping Jokic and altering Murray on those pnrs that Utah and Clippers couldn't figure out. Gasol meanwhile was caught and skewered by that Payne/Ayton broiler of a pick and roll the Lakers centers couldn't plug. There's a reason he's back. When he wasn't picking up techs he played his role to perfection when it mattered. Both players hiwever got playoff minutes on their teams last season which is more than DAJ can say with the Nets. Terrible replacement.

Anyway I think AD might actually start at C because 'starting' in the Lakers rotation really just means the first 3 minutes of the game, maybe also the last.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#1880 » by Dupp » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:35 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:Rondo + DJ + Melo = 7.8 millions which is almost Caruso's starting salary in 21-22 season. Amazing Gming

He was willing to take less for LA too...

Yeah rob is awful.

Return to Player Comparisons