Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Remaining Roster Spot Discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,397

Re: Bulls Remaining Roster Spot Discussion 

Post#521 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 am

sco wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think the Bulls should invite him to camp and he should have a shot at the roster. I do worry about the Bulls' depth if Vuc or Bradley go down for any length of time.

Was thinking the same. He's sucky a defense, but really good on offense. I wonder why he can't find a situation to stick.

Nets just have too many bigs right now hence why Johnson and Okafor were cut. It kind of also shows you what the value of bigs are these days.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#522 » by League Circles » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:47 am

Aren't we set with 15 guys plus Dotson as a two way plus about 3 camp invites for the second two way deal?
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Post#524 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:33 am

If they make another roster move it's a trade Imo, but I'd guess that won't happen right now.

I see no one on the free agent market better than the players they signed a few days ago. Alize Johnson was the last "intriguing" player available and luckily they signed him.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#525 » by MGB8 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:37 am

League Circles wrote:Aren't we set with 15 guys plus Dotson as a two way plus about 3 camp invites for the second two way deal?

Stanley Johnson is non-guaranteed, so effectively a camp deal. Even Alize Johnson’s is only partially guaranteed. I think they could have another camp invite or two. But they’d be fighting with SJ for a spot, unless someone else is moved/waived.

Still hoping for another big to hedge for a Vuc injury, a la Hartenstein… but Okafor would fill the same role (with a bit more natural offensive talent, but not as good on D).
petebraun0
Senior
And1: 210

Post#526 » by petebraun0 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:03 am

I would say yes to Jahlil Okafor. Many years of experience, was once a top pick, has size, could come cheap, and would give us a 3rd big. Seems like picking up all the Nets hand-me-downs could be great moves on our part. They go old, we go young. They go old, we go more athletic. let's grab him while we can.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#527 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:14 am

MGB8 wrote:
League Circles wrote:Aren't we set with 15 guys plus Dotson as a two way plus about 3 camp invites for the second two way deal?

Stanley Johnson is non-guaranteed, so effectively a camp deal. Even Alize Johnson’s is only partially guaranteed. I think they could have another camp invite or two. But they’d be fighting with SJ for a spot, unless someone else is moved/waived.

Still hoping for another big to hedge for a Vuc injury, a la Hartenstein… but Okafor would fill the same role (with a bit more natural offensive talent, but not as good on D).

Alize is only guaranteed $250,000 if he makes it to opening night, so he can be cut in camp and they owe nothing. He can be cut at anytime in the first year and only $250,000 is on the books (plus wages earned) so his spot is open too until the end of the season where his deal then is fully guaranteed. Obviously they think he will stick around but the way it is structured it is very team favorable if they find an option that is better. I assume he is going to make the cut, but AK has wiggle room with that too.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#528 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:18 am

petebraun0 wrote:I would say yes to Jahlil Okafor. Many years of experience, was once a top pick, has size, could come cheap, and would give us a 3rd big. Seems like picking up all the Nets hand-me-downs could be great moves on our part. They go old, we go young. They go old, we go more athletic. let's grab him while we can.

If he is willing to come tryout on a non guaranteed deal yes we absolutely should, and that may be the case. He might get someone who is willing to invest in him with a guaranteed or partially guaranteed contract or a situation where he is in less of a war for making the team. I'd take the flyer on him if he is willing. The Nets also may have cut Alize and him to do the players a favor to make money some place else. Even with end of the bench players, as a FO its good to not burn bridges, you never know if that player, or his agent may have dealings with you again in the future.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#529 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 am

If nothing else, everyone has to say, AKME are way better at actually understanding the cap which I think we are crediting to Polk as that seems his specialty. You hire the right guy who knows how to crunch the numbers and you can get more creative. The old regime seemed to not have anyone that talented, nor the creativity and to boot they weren't likable, dealing with other GM's, Players or Agents. Just guessing but AK may have the creativity and mind for building, ME might be really good at working with the personalities and Polk knows the numbers. That theoretically sounds like a good "team" and when you have good team building at the management level you have a higher success rate of having a good team on the floor. The proof will be in the pudding for sure but I like that there seems to be logic to all of this.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#530 » by kodo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:46 am

I think Okafor makes more sense than loading up on more wings. Vuc isn't going to play 82, and Bradley isn't going to play 48 minutes when Vuc is out. And even if you go smallball, teams still don't put shooting guards at center.

If we run with 2 centers, we're basically committing to Marko being part of the rotation. Maybe that was always the plan.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#531 » by League Circles » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:51 am

Michael Jackson wrote:If nothing else, everyone has to say, AKME are way better at actually understanding the cap which I think we are crediting to Polk as that seems his specialty. You hire the right guy who knows how to crunch the numbers and you can get more creative. The old regime seemed to not have anyone that talented, nor the creativity and to boot they weren't likable, dealing with other GM's, Players or Agents. Just guessing but AK may have the creativity and mind for building, ME might be really good at working with the personalities and Polk knows the numbers. That theoretically sounds like a good "team" and when you have good team building at the management level you have a higher success rate of having a good team on the floor. The proof will be in the pudding for sure but I like that there seems to be logic to all of this.

I do love the cap creativity of the new group, but tbh that was definitely a strength previously also. Irwin Mandel basically filled that role and IIRC he basically pioneered a number of cap tricks, such as declining contracts, signing guys at the end of the season to non guaranteed deals to be able to trade them in the summer (or rather just have the flexibility to, as GarPax were conservative on actually exercising the substantial flexibility largely created by Mandel over the years), draft protection, pick swaps, etc. I'm sure I'm wrong and that he didn't invent all these strategies but pretty sure he was well known around the league as highly strategic with the cap.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#532 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:18 am

League Circles wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:If nothing else, everyone has to say, AKME are way better at actually understanding the cap which I think we are crediting to Polk as that seems his specialty. You hire the right guy who knows how to crunch the numbers and you can get more creative. The old regime seemed to not have anyone that talented, nor the creativity and to boot they weren't likable, dealing with other GM's, Players or Agents. Just guessing but AK may have the creativity and mind for building, ME might be really good at working with the personalities and Polk knows the numbers. That theoretically sounds like a good "team" and when you have good team building at the management level you have a higher success rate of having a good team on the floor. The proof will be in the pudding for sure but I like that there seems to be logic to all of this.

I do love the cap creativity of the new group, but tbh that was definitely a strength previously also. Irwin Mandel basically filled that role and IIRC he basically pioneered a number of cap tricks, such as declining contracts, signing guys at the end of the season to non guaranteed deals to be able to trade them in the summer (or rather just have the flexibility to, as GarPax were conservative on actually exercising the substantial flexibility largely created by Mandel over the years), draft protection, pick swaps, etc. I'm sure I'm wrong and that he didn't invent all these strategies but pretty sure he was well known around the league as highly strategic with the cap.

That sounds all true enough I am sure, I think the major problem with the Bulls was they got too old. Not just has the game changed on court, it is way more complex to play in the FO. It evolved, from tanking to signing guys, trading them, TPE's etc...every aspect has gotten trickier. It just seems AKMEJJ are up to speed with the modern NBA. It is more than making a trade etc... it is about making things happen. Now AK may not have a sustainable plan, but it is modern and he has maximized what he has done with it. Masai is considered the gold standard right now, but who isn't trying to nip at his heels. He also got gold standard because of what could have been a terrible move, in fact he is one Kawhi bounce away from not being a legend and just being good. AK seems of the smarter breed so far. Paxson knew the NBA changed he really did and I think he is as happy to not be in AK's shoes as we are to not have him there. This is not an organization that I would say is necessarily best in class but they are at least a modern functioning FO now. Thank goodness. There is just finally some hope, when it was awful bleak and hopeless for a while.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#533 » by weneeda2guard » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:48 am

Article says we don't have alot of depth at small forward

But many posters here claim all we have added is small forwards lol
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#534 » by RSP83 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:51 am

Jahlil Okafor is waived. Everybody knows he's a very flawed player, especially defensively. But he got size that we're lacking. I'd be open to invite him for training camp or something. I just think he's worth a look, he's also from Chicago.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#535 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:10 am

Okafor? Facepalm - even worse than the Manimal delusion.

The Chicago kid myopia runs crazy on this board.

He’s horrible.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
drosEshe
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#536 » by drosEshe » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:39 am

Cousins if possible > Okafor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#537 » by bulls_troy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 am

Prefer Ennis over Stanley Johnson
Twitter: @bulls_troy
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#538 » by erlim » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:00 am

Okafor is just Felicio but lacks fluency in Portuguese.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,757

Post#539 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:15 am

drosEshe wrote:Cousins if possible > Okafor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are both on the same level to me.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#540 » by MGB8 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:25 pm

erlim wrote:Okafor is just Felicio but lacks fluency in Portuguese.

Not really. Okafor is much more naturally skilled offensively. And dumber defensively. Felicio likely has better length, despite being a touch shorter. Of course, Felicio is also rounder.

Return to Chicago Bulls