ImageImageImageImage

Josh Robbins talks to scouts - Part 3 - Wendell Carter Jr.

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Josh Robbins talks to scouts - Part 3 - Wendell Carter Jr. 

Post#1 » by YosemiteSam » Thu Sep 9, 2021 8:29 pm

Josh Robbins is back with his 3rd article in his offseason reviews of potential on the Magic roster through discussions with anonymous scouts. This time they discuss Wendell Carter Jr. Because his time with the Magic was so short last year and the situation of tanking so disruptive, they focused on insights from his time with the Bulls.

Overall, the general consensus was he's pretty good but nothing special. Which is kind of theme of most Magic investments under this current adminstration.

What NBA scouts are saying about Magic center Wendell Carter Jr.’s future

On to the quotes:

“He’s really just solid. I don’t think there’s anything he does at a high, high level. But I think he’s a guy who rebounds well. He can protect the rim at times. He’s got a nice jump shot. He’s got a decent post game.”

The picture that emerges is one of a clever player who also brings an element of scrappiness and fight. “I think he’s got some toughness,” Scout C said. “I think if Wendell’s healthy, he’s going to help the Magic. He can go alongside Jonathan Isaac pretty well because he’s tough, he’s physical. I think he needed a break out of Chicago. I think Orlando is a good spot for him because he has some skill.”

“He’s a guy who you trust defensively,” Scout B said. “He’s smart. He knows where to be. He’s physical. He’s strong.”

When asked to describe Carter’s defense, Scout A responded, “ ‘Solid’ is a good word for it, because he’s not super-athletic and his feet aren’t the best. But back to the point about him being smart: He kind of just knows where to be and communicates and gets the team in the right spots, as well as himself.”

“The biggest question with him is: Can he stay on the floor?” Scout B said. “He’s had a lot of injuries in Chicago and Orlando. To really kind of justify where he was drafted and trading Vucevic for him, I think he’s got to stay healthy. He’s got to become a guy you can rely on.”

Of the four scouts approached for this article, Scout D was the most pessimistic. In Scout D’s opinion, not only has Carter not made gains since his rookie season but actually has regressed in some areas. Some of the issues may be related to health, the scout acknowledged. Still, Scout D expected Carter’s shooting to improve through the normal course of player development, but that prediction has not come to pass so far. Indeed, Carter’s 73.2 percent mark on free throws last season was the lowest of his career. And while Carter made a career-best 29.4 percent of his 3-point tries last season, it’s still nowhere near good enough to space the floor effectively for teammates.

Perhaps Carter’s biggest weakness is that he has no demonstrably elite strength. Yes, he’s tough. Yes, he rebounds well. And yes, he’s very smart, allowing a team to execute its plans on both ends of the floor. But what, exactly, is he great at? He has a high floor, but he may also have a low ceiling. Again, perhaps the best way to describe Carter is “solid.” And is that promising enough to merit a long-term contract extension at this specific point in his career? For now, that’s a valid rhetorical question.

“He’s just going to have to shed the injury-bug rep that he has, and he can’t run from it because he’s been hurt in all three years,” Scout A said. “But down the line, he looks like he could be a solid starter. Will he ever be a top-10 starter? I don’t know. He has good size, he’s a good guy and has a good head on his shoulders. Then if he can stretch that jumper out to the 3-point line, that’s a bonus. But at least you can run offense with him because of how smart he is.” Scout C put it more bluntly: “Is he a starter on a playoff team? I’m not sure about that.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Re: Josh Robbins talks to scouts - Part 3 - Wendell Carter Jr. 

Post#2 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:16 am

Solid players are needed on every team.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#3 » by Furinkazan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:22 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Solid players are needed on every team.

It all depends on the money
I don’t want a solid player on a star type of contract
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,612

Post#4 » by Skybox » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:18 am

Furinkazan wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Solid players are needed on every team.

It all depends on the money
I don’t want a solid player on a star type of contract

THIS is where we were with Vuc, AG, Evan gobbling up our cap...all good players, perhaps even worthy of their deals in a vacuum...but then you're stuck with what you got...I'd move WCJ-he's better than Bamba, but he's not good enough to build on as our Center of the future. An already good team could benefit from him more than us, IMO.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#5 » by paperboymafia » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:33 am

solid
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#6 » by JF5 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Agree with these scouting reports and reiterated them myself... And I still don't understand why some of us want to let him walk. This team has way too many young players who don't know what to do on the court. Carter is one of the few that have a feel/awareness which most others don't have.

Especially on a rebuilding team you need these sort of guys not to have a shot at winning basketball games. But also enhance the talent around them and make the game easier. If he can stay healthy he needs to be locked up for the foreseeable future (IMO)
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,272

Post#7 » by pepe1991 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:48 pm

He is solid, useful rotation big. He needs to improve some aspects of his game to become nba level starter tho. Starting by staying healthy for longer periods of time would be nice .
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#8 » by zaymon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Solid, smart, fairly cheap center feels like a way to go right now. I wanted to draft him over Bamba so i am propably higher on him than most.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#9 » by basketballRob » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:22 pm

zaymon wrote:Solid, smart, fairly cheap center feels like a way to go right now. I wanted to draft him over Bamba so i am propably higher on him than most.
A lot of us wanted to draft him, we had a thread dedicated to him. Right now, Bamba is a better rebounder, shooter, and shot blocker tho.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#10 » by jonbob17 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:46 pm

Wendell Carter's camp clearly leaked that fake story a while back about the Magic giving hm 4/70M, right? Story came out and crickets.

Clearly a play-it-out type of situation.

Return to Orlando Magic