ImageImageImageImageImage

Garrison Mathews - Professional Shooter

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Re: Garrison Mathews - Professional Shooter 

Post#181 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:54 am

Plus, come to think of it, with Neto (& if Todd is on the team), wouldn't Mathews put us at 16 players?

To tell the truth, however, none of these factors makes it ok to lose a young player for absolutely nothing when he has shown himself capable of producing at a couple of levels above what he's being paid. Period.

This is the kind of problem you solve to your benefit. Not the kind where you shrug your shoulders & say "oh well."

Just for starters, I find it hard to believe that we couldn't have sent Mathews somewhere in the big trade -- & retained one of the R2 picks we included.

In the end, however, I think it's pretty obvious what caused this problem. Namely, the brain-dead decision to pay Davis Bertans a guaranteed fortune over 5 years -- or even the previous even dumber decision not to take a late R1 pick for him. That has already come back to haunt us several times.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#182 » by closg00 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#183 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:51 pm

Mathews started the season extremely strongly. Then, as Russ came back from injury & began to play more minutes, back to backs, etc., & also to dominate the offense, Garrison stopped seeing the ball. His attempts went down, & they were often desperation shots at the end of the clock, so his 3pt % began to fall some.

Note that it was still outstanding on the season: 38.4%. For that matter, his 2pt % was good too -- 53.8% -- & he was over 88% on FTs. Garrison posted a 63.5% TS%, which is absolutely great for a wing.

Somebody will sign him, & then they'll be surprised when he has a terrific season. I won't be. I look for him to have an extremely solid NBA career.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#184 » by nate33 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 3:20 pm

payitforward wrote:Mathews started the season extremely strongly. Then, as Russ came back from injury & began to play more minutes, back to backs, etc., & also to dominate the offense, Garrison stopped seeing the ball. His attempts went down, & they were often desperation shots at the end of the clock, so his 3pt % began to fall some.

Note that it was still outstanding on the season: 38.4%. For that matter, his 2pt % was good too -- 53.8% -- & he was over 88% on FTs. Garrison posted a 63.5% TS%, which is absolutely great for a wing.

Somebody will sign him, & then they'll be surprised when he has a terrific season. I won't be. I look for him to have an extremely solid NBA career.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed we couldn't figure out a way to resign him. There's a very real chance that he pans out to be a better pro than Corey Kispert.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#185 » by DCZards » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:24 pm

Mathew’s production was no doubt hurt by the presence of Westbrook…maybe more than any other Zard. But Garrison really needs to diversify his offensive game, like improving his ability to take people off the dribble. You’re easier to defend when teams know that all you basically do is shoot 3s.

Given how good a 3pt shooter he is, I believe Mathews would already be signed by a team (he might even still be with the Zards) if he could do more with the ball in his hands.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#186 » by nate33 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 6:48 pm

DCZards wrote:Mathew’s production was no doubt hurt by the presence of Westbrook…maybe more than any other Zard. But Garrison really needs to diversify his offensive game, like improving his ability to take people off the dribble. You’re easier to defend when teams know that all you basically do is shoot 3s.

Given how good a 3pt shooter he is, I believe Mathews would already be signed by a team (he might even still be with the Zards) if he could do more with the ball in his hands.

Ideally, Mathews would play like a catch-and-shoot SF on offense, but guard SG's on defense. He would be best on a team with strong ball handling from the PG position and one other non-guard position. He'd look great on a team like Denver, Dallas, Miami, or Golden State because they run a lot of offense through big forwards or a center.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#187 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 9, 2021 6:49 pm

Pardons if I said this before, but once they signed Neto, I didn't think there was any chance they'd sign Mathews. It was 1 or the other - not both. Whichever it'd be would be the 5th guard, and it didn't make sense to sign a veteran to be the 6th guard - if you carry a 6th guard. Neto's ability to handle the ball gave him the advantage.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#188 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:17 am

DCZards wrote:Mathew’s production was no doubt hurt by the presence of Westbrook…maybe more than any other Zard. But Garrison really needs to diversify his offensive game, like improving his ability to take people off the dribble. You’re easier to defend when teams know that all you basically do is shoot 3s.

There is something to what you say, Zards, but I don't think it particularly needs to be about taking people off the dribble. There are plenty of guys in the league who are good enough on 3s at a high shot-volume that they don't need that other skill.

But... everybody needs some other skill! That's the key point you are drawing attention to.

Compare Garrison Mathews to Pat Connaughton for example. Both guys are good 3-point shooters & good 2-pt. shooters as well -- but Mathews is better at all that stuff than Connaughton.

But... Connaughton also rebounds & gets some assists for his team. He has skills Mathews hasn't added. & that's why he's making money while Mathews is looking for someplace to land.

So, you are right -- GM needs to diversify his game; but, in his case, it's that he needs to contribute in some other ways than shooting -- even tho he is a killer scorer (not just 3's btw: look at his FT % & volume & his 2pt. % as well).

That said, as he is right now he's well worth being on a team & getting minutes.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Well, they're both white, but Connaughton's a different type of player than Mathews. Connaughton's stronger and more athletic and more of a forward than a guard. And Mathews is a better pure shooter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#190 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Connaughton's white, but that's not where I saw similarity -- they are pretty much the same size, & although Connaughton was drafted, he was a pick in the 40's.

Still, I didn't mean anything exact in the comparison. Only that the need for multiple skills -- about which Zards is obviously correct -- didn't have to imply the ability to score off the dribble.

What I didn't mention, but should have, is that it will be interesting to see Garrison play for a different coach.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:50 pm

payitforward wrote:Connaughton's white, but that's not where I saw similarity -- they are pretty much the same size, & although Connaughton was drafted, he was a pick in the 40's.

Still, I didn't mean anything exact in the comparison. Only that the need for multiple skills -- about which Zards is obviously correct -- didn't have to imply the ability to score off the dribble.

What I didn't mention, but should have, is that it will be interesting to see Garrison play for a different coach.

I know - just picking on you. :D They're listed the same size, but Connaugton looks significantly heavier and stronger than Gar. I'd guess there's a good 20 lb difference. Tbh, I thought Connaughton was going to end up pitching for the Orioles - who I unfortunately root for - rather than play in the NBA. He was in their minor league system and had a 97 MPH fastball. If Mathews could add some strength, i think it would help him enormously on defense, but I think he's maxed out there. Too bad, because nobody tries harder than he does.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#192 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:09 am

Always nice to be reminded of what a guy actually can do:

payitforward
RealGM

Post#193 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:18 am

Then there was the night Mathews had 22 points against the Heat -- in the first half.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by Ruzious » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 am

Almost like Brandon Jennings scoring 55 points in a game in his rookie year - with 29 of them in the 3rd quarter.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#195 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:44 pm

A fair point, I guess.

Then again, would you have let Brandon Jennings walk after his rookie year?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#196 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Just googled Garrison to find... nothing. I don't get it to tell the truth.

Nothing? Wouldn't he sign in China? Get a job as a high school coach? Complain? Something...?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#197 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:30 pm

payitforward wrote:Just googled Garrison to find... nothing. I don't get it to tell the truth.

Nothing? Wouldn't he sign in China? Get a job as a high school coach? Complain? Something...?

Yeah, it's really odd to me too.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he has been assured of a roster spot somewhere but has to wait until the team cuts a guy first (and the team hasn't cut the guy yet because maybe they're exploring trade options).
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#198 » by doclinkin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Just googled Garrison to find... nothing. I don't get it to tell the truth.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he has been assured of a roster spot somewhere but has to wait until the team cuts a guy first (and the team hasn't cut the guy yet because maybe they're exploring trade options).

Or possibly there is some locker room reason why he lost minutes on our team and was shunted to the side. A legal issue or some reputation as a bad actor. I don't wish it on the guy but his record with us when playing was a feather in the cap of Tommy's scouting acumen. An UFA pick up who proved a skilled and successful shooter and a defensive hustle guy. For whatever reason suddenly he was not an option on a team that simply could not hit outside shots. This sort of puzzling thing commonly has some issue ticking in the background. Reckless speculation, I just wonder.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#199 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:50 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Or possibly there is some locker room reason why he lost minutes on our team and was shunted to the side. A legal issue or some reputation as a bad actor. I don't wish it on the guy but his record with us when playing was a feather in the cap of Tommy's scouting acumen. An UFA pick up who proved a skilled and successful shooter and a defensive hustle guy. For whatever reason suddenly he was not an option on a team that simply could not hit outside shots. This sort of puzzling thing commonly has some issue ticking in the background. Reckless speculation, I just wonder.

I seriously doubt it's a locker room issue. Marginal talents don't make it to the NBA if they cause problems in the locker room. He certainly wouldn't have lasted through his 2nd season. I suppose it could be an off-the-court issue (drugs, women, gambling), but that's indeed reckless speculation. And if the rest of the league knew about it, I suspect we would have heard about it in the media. Or at least a guy like Fred Katz would say there are "complications" with Mathews, without elaborating. I've heard nothing.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#200 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm

If anything, the opposite. From what little we heard of him, he gave the impression of being extremely earnest, really motivated to help, etc....

As to his losing minutes & getting few FGAs when on the court, I put that down to Russ -- & to how he was used by Brooks.

Keep in mind that Mathews started for a big chunk of the season.

Return to Washington Wizards