ImageImageImage

OUR BIGGEST NEED - PF

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,989

Re: OUR BIGGEST NEED - PF 

Post#161 » by cl2117 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 pm

I'm pretty damn happy with how they've filled out the PF slot. I don't know if they've found the answer, but I like the variety in skillsets they've got. There weren't a lot of better no cost options out there either so this isn't bad at all.

Juancho is the classic stretch 4. Probably will run very hot and cold, but will absolutely stretch the floor for you. Maybe he's passable on D and you're in business.

Jabari is the old dude at the gym who's still got surprisingly good game. He's not anything special and he'll get burnt a bit, but he can still be passable as the 5th guy on the floor.

And Grant is ironically enough just about exactly the kind of PF prospect I'd be looking to find on the cheap for us. Obviously you'd rather someone with more length/athleticism, but they'd cost more to acquire. Grant is a jack of all trades and master of none, but passable. If he cleans up the boneheaded fouls and keeps knocking down the corner 3, I think he gets the most minutes.

Then you've got the potential to experiment with Horford and Bruno at the 4, which I think will end badly, but it's an option. Hauser as well is a sneaky add. These guys who can be automatic from range have shown to have value even if they're liabilities elsewhere.

Maybe they can "moneyball" the backup PF spot or maybe one of these guys breaks out, but we're in a better spot than I thought we'd be.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,678

Post#162 » by SLCceltic » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 pm

captain green wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
GoGreen wrote:I'm guessing Juancho gets the most minutes at the backup 4. Followed by Grant, but only out of necessity as I really think he's better suited to be a small 5. I have a bad feeling Parker might be left behind. Even Al might get more min than Parker at the 4. Jabari really needs to improve defensively.

I’m expecting a very nice year from Grant Williams, so many sleeping on him :nod:

Sleeping on him? what's he gonna do grow taller ? Not go for every fake known to man? Get faster? get angrier? I'm legit asking what's he gonna do to unsleep us?

he’s going to always play very smart on both ends, knock down 3s midrange shots and FTs
he is not sexy but the dude is a high-end glue guy/utility rotational pinch starter
Grant Williams will have a 10+ yr NBA career

he is not going to grow taller or get faster but a guy like GW who has an NBA body (albeit a lil shorter) will figure some things out and will play bigger and faster …he has that kind of intelligence and willingness
ROYALGREEN
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,119

Post#163 » by Hal14 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:35 am

Just wait and be patient. We're gonna draft Roko Prkacin with our 1st round pick next year. Just watch..

He'll be our backup PF as a rookie and then after that will be starting PF for the next 5+ years.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,119

Post#164 » by Hal14 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:41 am

cl2117 wrote:I'm pretty damn happy with how they've filled out the PF slot. I don't know if they've found the answer, but I like the variety in skillsets they've got. There weren't a lot of better no cost options out there either so this isn't bad at all.

Juancho is the classic stretch 4. Probably will run very hot and cold, but will absolutely stretch the floor for you. Maybe he's passable on D and you're in business.

Jabari is the old dude at the gym who's still got surprisingly good game. He's not anything special and he'll get burnt a bit, but he can still be passable as the 5th guy on the floor.

And Grant is ironically enough just about exactly the kind of PF prospect I'd be looking to find on the cheap for us. Obviously you'd rather someone with more length/athleticism, but they'd cost more to acquire. Grant is a jack of all trades and master of none, but passable. If he cleans up the boneheaded fouls and keeps knocking down the corner 3, I think he gets the most minutes.

Then you've got the potential to experiment with Horford and Bruno at the 4, which I think will end badly, but it's an option. Hauser as well is a sneaky add. These guys who can be automatic from range have shown to have value even if they're liabilities elsewhere.

Maybe they can "moneyball" the backup PF spot or maybe one of these guys breaks out, but we're in a better spot than I thought we'd be.

I agree with all of that but don't sleep on Juwan Morgan. Although his stats in Utah aren't impressive, keep in mind he didn't see much playing time because he was a rookie on a really good Jazz team and then last yr was further on the depth chart, only his 2nd yr on a Jazz team that was literally the best record in the entire NBA. From the footage I've seen, he looks like a solid role player off the bench type guy who will do a decent job, does the little things well, not try to do too much, just plays his role. Seems like a Paul Millsap / Boris Diaw type guy - that type of archetype which is just what we need as a backup PF. Only 24 yrs old so still some room to develop more and get better. Got valuable mins in the playoffs in 2020 for the Jazz.

Jazz Highlights:

College highlights:
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#165 » by captain green » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:21 pm

SLCceltic wrote:
captain green wrote:
SLCceltic wrote: I’m expecting a very nice year from Grant Williams, so many sleeping on him :nod:

Sleeping on him? what's he gonna do grow taller ? Not go for every fake known to man? Get faster? get angrier? I'm legit asking what's he gonna do to unsleep us?

he’s going to always play very smart on both ends, knock down 3s midrange shots and FTs
he is not sexy but the dude is a high-end glue guy/utility rotational pinch starter
Grant Williams will have a 10+ yr NBA career

he is not going to grow taller or get faster but a guy like GW who has an NBA body (albeit a lil shorter) will figure some things out and will play bigger and faster …he has that kind of intelligence and willingness
I hope your right but I see basically semi but less strong and less scary. No doubt ten year in NBA that isn't what it used to be imo. But I want all Celtics to have great year's so and I like the rotation ahead of him.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.

Return to Boston Celtics