ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition) 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:42 pm

One last chance. Anything non-basketball related will be nuked. Moderating the Ben Simmons stuff sucks, please make it suck less.

EMPHASIS ON RULE #4, USE THE REPORT FEATURE AND IGNORE THE POST IN QUESTION.

1. Personal attacks will result in a suspension.

Calling other posters "stupid" or a "waste" is pointless and drives down the overall discourse. Posters who engage in directly attacking other posters will receive suspensions. Consider the last thread as the warning, no excuses.

This was not followed through fully on the last thread (the warning function was used plenty), but we actually mean it this time.

2. All Ben Simmons discussion will be isolated within this thread.

Please click this sentence if you wish to discuss non-Ben Simmons related trades. This thread is specifically meant for consolidating Ben Simmons related discussion.

3. Treat fans of other teams with respect.

Attacking these posters will not be tolerated in any way. If you disagree with a proposal they put forward, you can be respectful while explaining your disagreements. Treat the posters how you would treat a guest in your house.

4. If a poster breaks these rules, use the Report function.

If a poster personally attacks you or another poster, it is your responsibility to report that post to allow moderators to handle the post, if necessary. Derailing the thread by responding with your own personal attack may result in an equal suspension.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Re: Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition) 

Post#2 » by Domejandro » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:46 pm

As a note, I am planning to comb through the last thread more. I’ve already briefly contacted some users, but I had to handle some personal business last night. Please, for the love of all things holy, stick to basketball and use the report function, when necessary.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#3 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:47 pm

First reply. Go Wolves! Get Ben. Celebrate.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,137

Post#4 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm

I just hope this thread will be less toxic. I love to read but sometimes i just want to rip my eyeballs out
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Howard Cosell
Rookie
And1: 263

Post#5 » by Howard Cosell » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Edwards is Batman.

Towns is Robin.

Simmons is Rodman.

Go get him Rosas.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#6 » by IceManBK1 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:34 pm

I thought Prince is eligible to be traded in a package today. Hope a deal goes down soon. Beasley, Prince, McDaniels 2 firsts and a 2nd. Really don't want to wait until oct to see if they want Patrick Beverley. We would do Beverley no good if we trade him again lol..gonna be like 3rd time he gets traded in a matter of a month.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:I thought Prince is eligible to be traded in a package today. Hope a deal goes down soon. Beasley, Prince, McDaniels 2 firsts and a 2nd. Really don't want to wait until oct to see if they want Patrick Beverley. We would do Beverley no good if we trade him again lol..gonna be like 3rd time he gets traded in a matter of a month.

Sounds about right, but those firsts protected through 4, just in case the ping pong balls bounce our way.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#8 » by IceManBK1 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:I thought Prince is eligible to be traded in a package today. Hope a deal goes down soon. Beasley, Prince, McDaniels 2 firsts and a 2nd. Really don't want to wait until oct to see if they want Patrick Beverley. We would do Beverley no good if we trade him again lol..gonna be like 3rd time he gets traded in a matter of a month.

Sounds about right, but those firsts protected through 4, just in case the ping pong balls bounce our way.

give them top 3 protected this yr..we have our own 1st rd pick this yr right..with dlo, edwards, towns and simmons we're very likely to make the playoffs and end up with a pedestrian pick.
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#9 » by fattymcgee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

give them top 3 protected this yr..we have our own 1st rd pick this yr right..with dlo, edwards, towns and simmons we're very likely to make the playoffs and end up with a pedestrian pick.

Need to do Top 4. The lottery is now for the top 4 pics.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Post#10 » by shangrila » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:47 pm

I don’t want to backseat mod but I’d have nuked this topic from orbit.

There’s nothing left to discuss. Everyone has established what they’d pay or what his value is, and since there’s no way to measure that objectively there’s no debating facts, just opinions. Which always leads to conflict.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#11 » by jpatrick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:49 pm

Can’t include both Prince and McDaniels. Leaves us without a starting SF. If McDaniels is in there, going to have to wait for Beverly. Did we ever confirm when that is? October 1st?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:49 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Sure with Simmons there is a decent chance we make the playoffs, but we could still be in the lottery at say 14th and get drawn for a pick 1-4. Protected to 4.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:50 pm

shangrila wrote:I don’t want to backseat mod but I’d have nuked this topic from orbit.

There’s nothing left to discuss. Everyone has established what they’d pay or what his value is, and since there’s no way to measure that objectively there’s no debating facts, just opinions. Which always leads to conflict.

I think you're pretty much right, but I can't resist discussing it. :crazy: :banghead:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:51 pm

jpatrick wrote:

Can’t include both Prince and McDaniels. Leaves us without a starting SF. If McDaniels is in there, going to have to wait for Beverly. Did we ever confirm when that is? October 1st?

This gets into a controversial subject, but to me Ant is our SF with Beas our SG with Bolmaro/Okogie backing up the SF.
Folklore
Senior
And1: 170

Post#15 » by Folklore » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 pm

Yep. there's no way Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore would want to trade for Ben unless its pennies on the dollar. Alex would never let a player like Ben come here if it costs us players with heart. mage someone on his baseball team who was a great first baseman but when he's at bat, he wouldn't swing, no matter what. And in the off season that player would have clips of himself hitting home runs.

Lore wont do it because he can see the value in our players going out and anyone coming in. Why buy a company that's losing its value and the majority stock holders want to cut ties with it? would Lore pay more than the business is worth just because the seller is delusional to the actual value? No. He's going to keep his clearly valuable assets that he got for pennies on the dollar and laugh.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,012

Post#16 » by shrink » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Great stuff from Brian Windhorst on Doogie’s podcast. I’m only halfway through, but I’ll add to this post as interesting points come up.

1. First, Windhorst actually has info on this, so he has to be very careful about what he divulges.

2. Small market teams like the Wolves would value him, but “if you wanted a certain house, and you loved the house, loved the neighborhood, but you realize that a whole wing of the house had to be completely gutted and redone, you’re not paying top of the market price. If the owner wants top of the market price, you can’t buy it. You say, “well, I really like the house, but I have to buy it as a fixer upper, and fix it up myself.” Attractive player, but he’s a little damaged, and you need to pay damaged price.

3. Doogie said latest betting odds on Where Will Ben Play Game 1,

+200 PHI
+300 MIN
+400 POR
+500 SAC
+800 CLE
+1200 GSW

Windhorst would wager the field. BUT - “Simmons doesn’t intend to play for PHI again, and I doubt he will.”

4. One other small market team has interest and has made an offer, but it hasn’t gone public yet.

5. The Wolves can put together an acceptable offer, but Morey wants premium. He hunts superstars. He’s not looking for Beasley or a 2024 unprotected pick. He wants to win this year, and he has incentive to wait.

6. Windhorst thinks Simmons will most likely be on the PHI roster, and not play, and Morey may wait until February trade deadline to trade him. And “from what I understand, that’s Simmon’s plan.”

7. Windhorst doesn’t think MIN has the assets to get the trade done, unless they include Edwards, and that would be irresponsible for MIN to trade him. MIN a would need a three teamer, to send PHI a star.

(More)
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#17 » by jpatrick » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:04 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

This gets into a controversial subject, but to me Ant is our SF with Beas our SG with Bolmaro/Okogie backing up the SF.

If we don’t make any trades, I think that’s what we’ll see. Ant starting at SF and Beasley at SG. But in the proposed deal we’re trading Beasley, McDaniels, and Prince.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#18 » by Klomp » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 pm

shrink wrote:5. The Wolves can put together an acceptable offer, but Morey wants premium. He hunts superstars. He’s not looking for Beasley or a 2024 unprotected pick. He wants to win this year, and he has incentive to wait.

6. Windhorst thinks Simmons will most likely be on the PHI roster, and not play, and Morey may wait until February trade deadline to trade him. And “from what I understand, that’s Simmon’s plan.”

These two things would bring me back around to a Beal or Lillard-type bigger trade, with us facilitating.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:19 pm

jpatrick wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

If we don’t make any trades, I think that’s what we’ll see. Ant starting at SF and Beasley at SG. But in the proposed deal we’re trading Beasley, McDaniels, and Prince.

I was replying to the reply. We could do both Prince and McDaniels. With Beas in the deal as well we still have options.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,012

Post#20 » by shrink » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 pm

(Continued)

8. “It’s one thing to not be able to shoot well (like Giannis) versus being afraid to shoot. Ben isn’t liking to step into the batter’s box. Giannis has skill limitations, but he won’t let them hold him back, but Ben’s skill limitations very clearly hold him back. If I remember clearly, in a seven game series against Atlanta, he took three shots in the fourth quarter. How can anyone say that’s a championship performance?”

9. Doogie suggested a three teamer for Shai Gilchrest-Alexander, but both thought they should just keep SGA over Ben. And if SGA was available, I’m not sure MIN could make the best offer.

10. Windhorst thinks if Simmons was offered straight up for CJ McCollum, I’m not so sure POR wouldn’t turn it down. The bedrock question is “does POR want Ben Simmons?” And even if POR felt they were willing to trade McCollum, they might look elsewhere, for someone else that fits their roster.

11. 4-5 teams are interested in Simmons, but none of them have what Morey wants today.

12. Simmons is trying to make training camp the deadline, but it doesn’t mean Morey has to do it. Why rush? Ben hopes the media puts pressure on them, or that the team’s start the season badly. It worked for Butler and Harden, and AD. Why wouldn’t Simmons take that path.

13. “I don’t know why anyone in the league puts the value on D’Angelo Russell that they do.” Doogie said, “who in the league does that?” and Windhorst said, “Gersson, apparently.”

14. Too early to trade KAT. “Towns has been very outspoken about wanting to stay in Minnesota.”

15. Can’t count on Simmons. Need to count on Edwards and Towns getting better.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves