ImageImageImage

Ben’s “What happened?” moment

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Ben’s “What happened?” moment 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Sorry to repeat the video that we’ve all seen way too many times, but check out what he does at the 6 and 25 second marks.

He raises his arms with a quizzical look on his face. What is he expressing? Surprise that Matisse didn’t easily dribble through a couple of defenders to score that lay-up? Or that he didn’t shoot the medium range two pointer that Ben had just passed up a free dunk to assist him on? Or does he realize his instinctive reflex was so misguided that he’s trying to deflect attention from the mistake? Then he walks over to Matisse to slaps hands like “It’s OK.” and looks to do the same with Embiid, who clearly is letting him know that this was a mistake. None of this would be of interest if Ben’s current response wasn’t that he has to leave the team for not supporting him unconditionally instead of recognizing that he needs to work on his game so that this kind of stuff doesn’t happen again.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,685

Re: Ben’s “What happened?” moment 

Post#2 » by stormi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Uh, he span and looked directly at the referee. He was protesting for the foul call.
K3nny Pow3rs
Senior
And1: 707

Post#3 » by K3nny Pow3rs » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Simmons was surrounded by Gallinari and Young, and he saw Young leave Matisse open, so he passed to Matisse.
Simmons would have scored if Gallinari didn't get a hand on the ball, and that gave Young time to defend the paint.
So Gallinari created the confusion with his good defensive play, but Philly still got 2 free-throw attempts, so its not like a turnover.
Embiid's turnover was a million times worse than this play, so Embiid has no logical reason to criticize Simmons, and it really just reveals Embiid's lack of intelligence.

Embiid blatantly threw Simmons under the bus-
"I mean, I'll be honest. I thought the turning point was when we — I don't know how to say it — but I thought the turning point was just we had an open shot and we made one free throw and we missed the other and then they came down and scored," Embiid told reporters after the game.

The turning point? Very subjective, and a major reach, by a major coward.
Let's see who he blames next year....
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#4 » by thenbaman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 pm

K3nny Pow3rs wrote:Simmons was surrounded by Gallinari and Young, and he saw Young leave Matisse open, so he passed to Matisse.
Simmons would have scored if Gallinari didn't get a hand on the ball, and that gave Young time to defend the paint.
So Gallinari created the confusion with his good defensive play, but Philly still got 2 free-throw attempts, so its not like a turnover.
Embiid's turnover was a million times worse than this play, so Embiid has no logical reason to criticize Simmons, and it really just reveals Embiid's lack of intelligence.

:noway:
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by rzzzzz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:25 pm

K3nny Pow3rs wrote:Embiid has no logical reason to criticize Simmons, and it really just reveals Embiid's lack of intelligence.

Embiid immediately pointed out that his turnover was costly in the same interview after the game. He took ownership of it. You must feel like Vincent Price or Will Smith in one of those last man on earth movies. Cause just like the announcers as the play was happening, and Shaq and Chuck and everyone else, the whole planet saw a 6’11” unicorn pass up an open dunk and probably draw cheap contact from little Trae for the and one to put the team ahead with 4 minutes left. The 2 points were guaranteed. And the jaw dropped open for everybody else who watched the game, except you. Kind of a lonely feeling.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:30 pm

stormi wrote:Uh, he span and looked directly at the referee. He was protesting for the foul call.

I didn’t think the ref was late with that call. But I got to admit, I was pretty stunned at the time.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,123

Post#7 » by eyeatoma » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 pm

K3nny Pow3rs wrote:Simmons was surrounded by Gallinari and Young, and he saw Young leave Matisse open, so he passed to Matisse.
Lol who the **** are you? Go back to your board.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#8 » by Skates » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:17 am

The play gets emphasized not because it was just a dumb play or bad decision, but because as the starting PG, being paid a max level salary and it was emblematic of taking only four shots and going to the line one time, making one of two, for the ENTIRE GAME. Had this come in the middle of Simmons shooting 9 for 20 and getting to the line half a dozen times or more, no one would think he passed because he was afraid of taking the ball up himself. It would be a duh play, but just a bad decision, not a play that symbolized Ben's entire playoffs. Context is everything, like as in, why am I arguing with a guy that thinks Gallinari is somehow a good defender, especially against a player his size and ten times more athletic?
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#9 » by UptownPhilly » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 am

Another Simmons thread? Can we stop with this? The guy sucks and we’re gonna trade him.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#10 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:26 am

eyeatoma wrote:

Another Aussie of course, who else lol
Great takes since 2024-04-20
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,893

Post#11 » by mjkvol » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:52 am

Your comment is so ridiculous on so many levels it's hard to know where to start. Regarding Embiid, he owned up to his TO and said the loss was on him in his post game interview, so criticizing him is just asinine.

As far as the play, when you are a team leader and NBA All Star, as Simmons is, and you have a golden opportunity to make a statement play and give your team the lead in a game 7, you dunk that and draw the cheap foul that Young would have committed.
No ifs, ands or buts. Simmons had a chance to bring the house down and possibly stick a dagger in the Hawks, there is no earthly way you pass that ball.

Plays like that are why you give a guy a max contract and make him a cornerstone of the franchise. Simmons had a chance there to validate the faith the Sixers have had in him despite his refusal to address and improve the weak parts of his game. Instead, he validated the doubts that so many fans have had that he would ever become a building block of a championship team.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#12 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:50 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

I don't know what you mean with this - most Aussies can't stand Simmons and don't really see him as an Australian
(including most players on the national team).
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,123

Post#13 » by eyeatoma » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:11 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Lol who the **** are you? Go back to your board.

I don't know what you mean with this - most Aussies can't stand Simmons and don't really see him as an Australian

That may be the case, but many of the Simmons stans on realgm are Aussie, I think that is what he meant.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#14 » by Mik317 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:06 am

if you are 6'10 with world class athleticism and the only thing in the way is Trae Young

you have to dunk that.

thats it. No amount of analysis is needed beyond that. If it was Capella....or even Gallo...maybe..but it was Trae Young. Even if he tired to foul you...you should have no trouble powering through him and it would have energized the crowd and the team.

Now was that single play the reason we lost? No of course not but it was emblematic of the issues. It showcased that ben was shook and was going to run away from the ball. Which in turn meant Tobias had to step up and which in turn meant Embiid would turn to his own worst tendencies and try to be a guard. It deflated the team because it confirmed that Ben was in his own head and as the point guard whose main role is to get the team into their sets and calm everyone down...that was a wrap. It was Ben's Donovan throwing up in the huddle moment.

So yeah Doc was awful. Tobias turned back into a pumpkin. Jo turned the ball over and ran out of juice. The bench is bad. Morey didn't improve the team enough. All of these things are true and a part of the problem....

but Ben is 6'10, all world athletically...and had Trae Young under the basket...and passed the ball. There is no defending that.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,526

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:57 am

Ben’s head isnt just there the whole series.

I Ben is that introvert guy who likes to overthink and these type of guys easily gets overwhelmed with pressure. Without his bank account and good looks, i dont think he would be able to land maya jama and Kendall :)

I do think that his family issues were too much and put a lot of stress on him mentally. He just wasnt back to 100% when he returned to the team.

A good example for me which I think is similar that nobody wants to talk about is that stretch where Derrick Rose looks he has mentally checked out. Which I do think is partially about his ACL recovery and mostly about his off the court legal battles.

And yeah, he raised his arms because he’s trying to influence the ref from calling a foul.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#16 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 pm

rzzzzz wrote:Sorry to repeat the video that we’ve all seen way too many times, but check out what he does at the 6 and 25 second marks.

He raises his arms with a quizzical look on his face. What is he expressing? Surprise that Matisse didn’t easily dribble through a couple of defenders to score that lay-up? Or that he didn’t shoot the medium range two pointer that Ben had just passed up a free dunk to assist him on? Or does he realize his instinctive reflex was so misguided that he’s trying to deflect attention from the mistake? Then he walks over to Matisse to slaps hands like “It’s OK.” and looks to do the same with Embiid, who clearly is letting him know that this was a mistake. None of this would be of interest if Ben’s current response wasn’t that he has to leave the team for not supporting him unconditionally instead of recognizing that he needs to work on his game so that this kind of stuff doesn’t happen again.

One thing for sure you know Ben does not think he did anything wrong. In his mind "If you think he made the wrong decision...then you just don't know basketball !"
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
RedSalsa
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#17 » by RedSalsa » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 am

Just unreal. Players that are cowards and play in fear don’t last in Philly. Fans will not have it.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#18 » by Phila Tough » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:58 am

I was done with him after that. And I am/was a huge Ben supporter. There was actually a time when I thought he would be better than Embiid and we should build around him Lmao. I have some terrible takes & predictions.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#19 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:35 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Lol who the **** are you? Go back to your board.

Yeah most don't I'm sure, but most of his stans reunite in RealGM for some reason, they feel the need to defend him.
BTW, this is not about Aussies of course, it happens with every country that has only a small pool of good players to root for.
Great takes since 2024-04-20

Return to Philadelphia 76ers