ImageImageImageImageImage

[Stein] Dallas Has Tried To Trade For Goran Dragic But Toronto Has Resisted

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Re: [Stein] Dallas Has Tried To Trade For Goran Dragic But Toronto Has Resisted 

Post#981 » by Steelo Green » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:13 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:When did Fischer become a thing?

Wake me when Shams or Woj report something.

When he announced our entire offseason
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#982 » by alan_156 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:14 pm

RapsFan008 wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:One hour ago on his live show:

Jake Fischer on Goran Dragic: "There is still an expectation that Goran Dragic is eventually bought out by TOR. Toronto called CLE, POR, SAS and DAL to be the 3rd team in the trade to take Dragic, but none of them budged." Dragic has not spoken to TOR about a trade or joining the team.

Interesting. Sad if true, but no rush to buy him out. Maybe teams get desperate come trade deadline.

I thought it was reported raps didnt talk to dallas about a trade?!
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#983 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:14 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:When did Fischer become a thing?

Wake me when Shams or Woj report something.

When he announced our entire offseason
Lol
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,590

Post#984 » by HangTime » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:30 pm

Isn't the easiest thing to do

A side deal first:
Brown + 2nd Rounder
For
Gillespie

Then buyout Dragic

Both sides save money, Gillespie only has a small amount guaranteed.
Federalies
Rookie
And1: 1,424

Post#985 » by Federalies » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:18 am

HangTime wrote:Isn't the easiest thing to do

A side deal first:
Brown + 2nd Rounder
For
Gillespie

Then buyout Dragic

While I like the initiative, this would be an obvious attempt to circumvent the collective bargaining agreement and would unfortunately lead to a rejection of one or both deals, some fines and potentially draft compensation. The league is already eyeballing the Raps for the Lowry deal.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,576

Post#986 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:28 am

It's obvious everyone knows we don't want Dragic which is why there's no trades available
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,590

Post#987 » by HangTime » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:31 am

Federalies wrote:

A side deal first:
Brown + 2nd Rounder
For
Gillespie

Then buyout Dragic

While I like the initiative, this would be an obvious attempt to circumvent the collective bargaining agreement and would unfortunately lead to a rejection of one or both deals, some fines and potentially draft compensation. The league is already eyeballing the Raps for the Lowry deal.

You have to get creative.
With This scenario, the trade, buyout, and signing are all legal under the current rule.

Unless I'm missing something.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Post#988 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:35 am

HangTime wrote:
Federalies wrote:

A side deal first:
Brown + 2nd Rounder
For
Gillespie

Then buyout Dragic

With This scenario, the trade, buyout, and signing are all legal under the current rule.

You are missing there is nothing here because he is going to be in their rotation.
Federalies
Rookie

Post#989 » by Federalies » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:49 am

HangTime wrote:
Federalies wrote:

A side deal first:
Brown + 2nd Rounder
For
Gillespie

Then buyout Dragic

Firstly, you’d have to guarantee Gillespie’s contract. Unfortunately you can’t trade a partially guaranteed deal.

Secondly, the League would pick up on the fact that the Mavs dramatically overpaid for Gillespie and somehow “ended” up with the a conveniently just bought out Dragic! In short, you can’t game the system…at least that blatantly! :D :D
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#990 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:51 am

Just play him and deal him at the deadline.
Jermaine OBosh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,046

Post#991 » by Jermaine OBosh » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:18 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
HangTime wrote:
Federalies wrote:

You are missing there is nothing here because he is going to be in their rotation.

I think we have done something like this before, with Mavs. When we bought out Peja and traded for Alexis Ajinca.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2011/01/21/league-holds-up-ajinca-trade-to-raptors-for-now/
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#992 » by Dalek » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:39 am

A side deal first:
Brown + 2nd Rounder
For
Gillespie

Then buyout Dragic

A deal like this as a precursor to buying out Dragic makes sense for both sides. I think I have posted it many times in the this thread, but it is good to hear others coming to reality. Dallas doesn't need the five Cs they have on their roster and Toronto gets compensation for giving up Dragic for nothing. I mean, this is the best Toronto can get kind of like the Lowry situation. Take whatever prospect you get offered and move on.

Dragic makes $19.4m this year. What teams would be giving up younger players on better deals to get Dragic? Toronto turned to some of the more desperate to make the playoffs teams like San Antonio and Cleveland and no one wants that contract. I think we have to be realistic that Dragic at $19.4m is a bad contract. He ain't close to Lowry or Paul value on court. He is nearly 36 and not a starter. Miami moved on from him for a reason.
Masai4PM
Junior
And1: 860

Post#993 » by Masai4PM » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:49 am

Dragic situation is exactly why Masai didn't trade Kyle at the deadline.

Teams would just wait us out with Dragic had we dealt Kyle for a package that was much less than our asking price.

Now at the very least this puts more pressure on any team that wants Dragic (which there will be, especially when the season starts and injuries hit and or pretenders who think they're contenders try to make a splash)
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,600

Post#994 » by C_Money » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:38 am

Would you rather just buy him out and use the cap space next off-season on a Free Agent?

I’m starting to think that is the best option. I don’t want the Mavericks low level prospects.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 455

Post#995 » by youngRAPZ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 pm

C_Money wrote:Would you rather just buy him out and use the cap space next off-season on a Free Agent?

I’m starting to think that is the best option. I don’t want the Mavericks low level prospects.

There is no cap space next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#996 » by aligator » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:04 pm

No there isn't but if under the tax line, you can use the MLE. Raps usually act as an over the cap team.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#997 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:34 pm

C_Money wrote:Would you rather just buy him out and use the cap space next off-season on a Free Agent?

Nope. Buying him out is a win for the Mavs and Dragic and we get nothing.

He has an expiring contract which means we gain nothing by buying him out.

I hate being used. Unlike Miami, who was doing Khem a favour, we don't owe Dragic, nor the Mavs, any favours. Alonzo Mourning made me forever allergic to buyouts of players who have not earned any favours from us. Fricken Mourning wouldn't even come to tutor our bigs.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Federalies
Rookie

Post#998 » by Federalies » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:43 pm

aligator wrote:No there isn't but if under the tax line, you can use the MLE. Raps usually act as an over the cap team.

I don’t disagree but Goran’s $ comes off the books next year regardless and there’s only a little over $3 mill left on the MLE this year (given the Birch deal). All this to say, buying Dragic out for nothing only helps out the bottom line of the two giant telecoms and gives the Raps nothing.

Given Bobby and Masai’s proven track record of swapping mediocre assets for decent to good ones, I 100% expect there’ll be a trade at some point. Whether that’s before the season starts or by the trade deadline depends on the market. The front office will get value…even if we fans don’t see it at first. :nod: :nod:
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#999 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:55 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:It's obvious everyone knows we don't want Dragic which is why there's no trades available

This assumes that no other teams are interested in acquiring Dragic as well, which doesn’t seem accurate. He’s still a rotation level player with an expiring contract who has played very well in the playoffs.

The problem just appears to be price point. Dallas (or anyone else) wants Dragic for next to nothing or wants to unload a bad contract on Toronto and the Raps want a better deal. Plus the Raps have until the deadline to make something happen so there’s not rush to make a bad deal.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,145

Post#1000 » by The Duke » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:37 pm

No need to rush this ... just wait it out ... if a team offers something worth listening to ... we'll listen.... until then ... I expect him to suit up

Return to Toronto Raptors