Vic Yama - best shot blocking prospect of all time?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:14 pm

posting it here to get a little more eyes on this guy considering it's the off season...but is Yama the best shot blocking prospect of all time?

dude is 7-3...and a legit 7-3...here is he next to Chet Holmgren who's a legit 7-footer and he looks absolutely monstrous next to him:

dude averaged 5.7 blocks per game in U19s:

Read on Twitter

thoughts? anyone else that comes to mind the could be a better shot blocking prospect? maybe Anthony Davis?
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Re: Vic Yama - best shot blocking prospect of all time? 

Post#2 » by DaddyCool19 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:19 pm

The Canadian looks huge. Is he any good? 15/14 with 2,3 blocks in under 24 minutes sounds good.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:28 pm

Gonna guess Bill Russell remains the best shotblocking prospect of all-time. Probably guys like Deke, Bradley, Dream, Bol all better as well.

I imagine there are any number of guys who blocked absurd amounts of shots in high school. Hell my high school team had a 6'5" center but who could jump out of the gym and had insane shot blocking instincts. We didn't keep track of blocks, but I know he had to have averaged 7 or 8 a game easy. So I can't imagine what some of these 7 foot shot blockers have done over the years.

Not saying anything to diminish this guy. Just pointing out we've had lots of elite shot blockers and I'd be surprised we've never had a shot blocking prospect better than him is all.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#4 » by theforumblue » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:40 pm

moves his feet pretty well for a guy that tall.
screw these absolute garbage refs
clyde21
RealGM

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Gonna guess Bill Russell remains the best shotblocking prospect of all-time. Probably guys like Deke, Bradley, Dream, Bol all better as well.

I imagine there are any number of guys who blocked absurd amounts of shots in high school. Hell my high school team had a 6'5" center but who could jump out of the gym and had insane shot blocking instincts. We didn't keep track of blocks, but I know he had to have averaged 7 or 8 a game easy. So I can't imagine what some of these 7 foot shot blockers have done over the years.

Not saying anything to diminish this guy. Just pointing out we've had lots of elite shot blockers and I'd be surprised we've never had a shot blocking prospect better than him is all.

shot blocking in HS is way different than doing it @ international level, albeit U19 but still, he did it against THE best prospects in the entire world on the biggest stage for that age group.

ever is a long time, so I dunno, but based on numbers that have been tracked he blew away everyone else in this department.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#6 » by UcanUwill » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:49 pm

He is definitely the best rim protection prospect I have ever seen.

Hope he gets playing time in Euroleague.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,134

Post#7 » by HomoSapien » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 pm

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,131

Post#8 » by druggas » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:56 pm

Wilton Norman Chamberlain.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,633

Post#9 » by taikibansei » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:58 pm

Yeah, this guy (Mark Eaton) averaged 5.6 blocks per game for an entire NBA season, playing all 82 games. (Not to disparage the prospect mentioned in the OP--seems like a great prospect--just questioning the hyperbole in the accompanying tweet.)

HomoSapien wrote:Image
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#10 » by Jcity08 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:03 pm

He has the physical profile & mindset to lead the league in blocks one day.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#11 » by DaddyCool19 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:04 pm

Was Eaton a prospect though? Wasn't he working as a mechanic after school?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:06 pm

taikibansei wrote:Yeah, this guy (Mark Eaton) averaged 5.6 blocks per game for an entire NBA season, playing all 82 games. (Not to disparage the prospect mentioned in the OP--seems like a great prospect--just questioning the hyperbole in the accompanying tweet.)

HomoSapien wrote:

what Eaton did in the NBA is irrelevant, tho, this is about how these guys were viewed entering the NBA...maybe he was viewed as an elite shot blocking prospect I have no idea, but his numbers in the NBA are irrelevant.

also what hyperbole in the tweet? the tweet was stating facts -- no one has ever blocked as many shots in an international tournament as Yama just did.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by taikibansei » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
taikibansei wrote:Yeah, this guy (Mark Eaton) averaged 5.6 blocks per game for an entire NBA season, playing all 82 games. (Not to disparage the prospect mentioned in the OP--seems like a great prospect--just questioning the hyperbole in the accompanying tweet.)

HomoSapien wrote:

what Eaton did in the NBA is irrelevant, tho, this is about how these guys were viewed entering the NBA...maybe he was viewed as an elite shot blocking prospect I have no idea, but his numbers in the NBA are irrelevant.

also what hyperbole in the tweet? the tweet was stating facts -- no one has ever blocked as many shots in an international tournament as Yama just did.

You're right, my apologies to that tweet author--I'd thought he'd wrote " best shot blocking prospect of all time"...but that was you!
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:11 pm

taikibansei wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

You're right, my apologies to that tweet author--I'd thought he'd wrote " best shot blocking prospect of all time"...but that was you!

hey...im just askin the tough questions around here
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Post#15 » by VanWest82 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:22 pm

I’m always a little dubious about how really skinny kids will translate. Better NBA players can get into their body on drives and knock them off balance. You don’t see that as much at youth levels because kids aren’t as strong or skilled. He looks talented though. Good length, timing, and instincts.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,886
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#16 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:23 pm

If I were grading prospects, he’d be up there, but in general, and especially today, I’d probably sacrifice some of the height/length for the athleticism of Olajuwon or Robinson.

Olajuwon averaged 6 blocks per 36 for his 100 game college career. That’s an enormous sample size to go off of, and just watching his movement and strength at 21, it would be hard for me to gamble on Wembanyama filling out and having the strength and stamina to go after everyone all game like the more mature prospect in Hakeem.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
iqureshi
Junior
And1: 211

Post#17 » by iqureshi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:25 pm

someone like shaq would've eaten his soul. Broken him in 2. In this soft no inside play nba, he might be decent.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:27 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:The Canadian looks huge. Is he any good? 15/14 with 2,3 blocks in under 24 minutes sounds good.

Zach Edey. Went to Purdue last year if you wanted to find highlights. 7'4" 285, soft hands.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#19 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:The Canadian looks huge. Is he any good? 15/14 with 2,3 blocks in under 24 minutes sounds good.

Zach Edey. Went to Purdue last year if you wanted to find highlights. 7'4" 285, soft hands.

if Edy is a legit 7-4 then Yama is 7-5 :lol:
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by taikibansei » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 pm

Completely off-topic--apologies to the OP--but I just realized that Mark Eaton died this past May in a bicycle accident. :( I'm a bit stunned--I remember reading that he'd been in an accident, but didn't know it had been fatal.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/05/29/utah-jazz-great-mark/

This article provides details about the accident and Mark's life. He seems to have been a really great guy!
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!

Return to The General Board