ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#21 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:08 pm

That is some stinky hot garbage. Giving up 3 firsts just to still miss the playoffs!
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:27 pm

Suggesting we add Thybulle when we are already heavily invested in Okoro also had me scratching my head.

Pairing Simmons with Sexton is something we've all thought about, but I wonder how interesting that is to Portland fans. A pile of picks is nice, but I wonder if they wouldn't rather go through a full rebuild than end up maxxed out paying Simmons and Sexton.

I suppose that depends how many of their own picks they've already traded away ...
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#23 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:35 pm

toooskies wrote:List of potential SF targets from one of Fedor's recent articles:

Kyle Anderson, Dillon Brooks, Sekou Doumbouya (may be released), Cam Reddish, Terrence Ross, Joe Ingles, Bojan Bogdanovic, T.J. Warren, Thaddeus Young, Tobias Harris, Jeremy Lamb and Harrison Barnes

Reportedly also made an offer for Simmons that we can't make now (Sexton, Cedi, Prince, protected 1st)

Potentially on the table: Love, Cedi, Nance?, Sexton?, Garland?, Stevens/Wade/Dotson/Kabengele filler, picks

The problem is you get into pieces you don't want to trade pretty quickly on the Cavs' roster. You'd prefer to send out Love and get something in return, but I don't think that any move is viable right now, so you have to consider moving Nance. And to get anything of substantial value you have to start with Sexton/Garland or picks.

The Cavs season starts off rough (west coast trip early) and so if the team starts out 9-9 like it did last year, that'd be a tremendous start. It'll also be harder to tank at the end of the year with a long stretch of mostly home games.

Pass on Young, Harris, neither is a SF/Wing at this point. Barnes is knocking on that door.

Warren, Brooks, Anderson fit nicely but require assets the Cavs don’t have. Mid to late firsts and .

Lamb and Ingles are salary matching issues but should cost a 2nd in value.

My question is, how much would it cost to go from Sexton to Bridges? Does 2022 bridge the gap? Take back Saric for Nance close the gap? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#24 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:43 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Hello!

I'm a Nets fan, and in full disclosure, I'm under an indefinite posting ban from the Trades and Transactions board. (That's why I'm not posting this there.) Some mods feel that my Brooklyn trades are too slanted in my own team's favor. Well, this one doesn't involve my team, so hopefully you know that I have no agenda. I just want to see and hear feedback.

Here it is:

https://fanspo.com/nba/s/general/trades/7Jm4pBAfnhmZmh/cavs-sixers-and-blazers

CLE trades Nance/Osman/Sexton/22CLE1st/24CLE1st/26CLE1st for McCollum/Thybulle/Joe
The Cavaliers add size and defense on the perimeter.
Garland, McCollum, Okoro, Mobley, Allen
Rubio, Windler, Thybulle, Wade, Love

PHI trades Simmons/Thybulle/Joe/23PHI1st/27PHI1st for Lillard/Jones/Osman
The Sixers push all-in to challenge for a title.
Lillard, Green, Korkmaz, Harris, Embiid
Curry, Milton, Jones, Osman, Drummond

POR trades Lillard/McCollum/Jones for Simmons/Nance/Sexton/22CLE1st/23PHI1st/24CLE1st/26CLE1st/27PHI1st
The Blazers retool while staying competitive, and trim $30mil in payroll.
Sexton, Powell, Covington, Simmons, Nurkic
Simons, McLemore, Snell, Nance, Zeller
I think CJ is pretty close to neutral value given his age and contract.

That's how far off this is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:56 pm

The T&T board has basically become insufferable when it comes to the Cavs or Cavs players. They all jumped on that salary-dumping Nance report, and despite that being the opposite of what happened, they're taking victory laps.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#26 » by JonFromVA » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The T&T board has basically become insufferable when it comes to the Cavs or Cavs players. They all jumped on that salary-dumping Nance report, and despite that being the opposite of what happened, they're taking victory laps.

Guess I need to check in ... but the return on Larry was pretty light and really only gets interesting in that it helped us pull off a S&T

As I understand it we could have had a late first rounder for Larry whenever we wanted ... it was the floor for his value, but we sure didn't salary dump him.

I suppose he could be seen as a casualty of the Love contract, meaning if we had the cap space we could have offered the $15M directly to Lauri (or another free-agent) and kept Larry. GM's like to play nice, though, and maybe the Bulls still get the 2nd and a TPE.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The T&T board has basically become insufferable when it comes to the Cavs or Cavs players. They all jumped on that salary-dumping Nance report, and despite that being the opposite of what happened, they're taking victory laps.

Guess I need to check in ... but the return on Larry was pretty light and really only gets interesting in that it helped us pull off a S&T

As I understand it we could have had a late first rounder for Larry whenever we wanted ... it was the floor for his value, but we sure didn't salary dump him.

I suppose he could be seen as a casualty of the Love contract, meaning if we had the cap space we could have offered the $15M directly to Lauri (or another free-agent) and kept Larry. GM's like to play nice, though, and maybe the Bulls still get the 2nd and a TPE.
It's all DJJ, as an expiring had negative value (after F.A. ended), so the first doesn't count stuff, while ignoring the fact that rather than salary-dump Nance we actually took back more money.

Just grade A reality bending.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:54 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#29 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:11 am

Hey guys, I have another trade proposal to share, let me know your thoughts:

https://fanspo.com/nba/s/general/trades/FqWYB7degvWZ1Z/cle-lac-phi-option-2

CLE trades Love/Sexton/22CLE1st/24CLE1st/26CLE1st for Simmons/Kennard
The Cavaliers push all-in for a young, exciting core.
Garland, Okoro, Simmons, Markkanen, Allen
Rubio, Kennard, Windler, Osman, Mobley

LAC trades Morris/Kennard for Love/Curry
The Clippers move off of long-term salary (anticipating Terence's extension), while bringing in savvy vets.
Jackson, Mann, George, Batum, Zubac
Bledsoe, Curry, Winslow, Love, Ibaka

PHI trades Simmons/Curry for Morris/Sexton/22CLE1st/24CLE1st/26CLE1st
The Sixers shed $19mil on their current cap number and add future 1sts that could facilitate a subsequent superstar trade.
Sexton, Green, Morris, Harris, Embiid
Milton, Korkmaz, Thybulle, Niang, Reed
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Hey guys, I have another trade proposal to share, let me know your thoughts:

The Clippers move off of long-term salary (anticipating Terence's extension), while bringing in savvy vets.

The Sixers shed $19mil on their current cap number and add future 1sts that could facilitate a subsequent superstar trade.
No way I'm adding three firsts to this package. We're not even opening up any cap space with which to round out the roster. In fact, I'm pretty sure this puts us into the tax. Kennard is better off the bench than as a starter at the 2. He's pretty overpaid for what he brings.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:28 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Hey guys, I have another trade proposal to share, let me know your thoughts:

If those picks can facilitate a superstar trade, I think I'd rather go after that superstar ... or is someone actually trying to force their way to Philly rather than out?

Ultimately we're talking about how many picks and what protection is on them. If it's 3 firsts with no protection, I just can't see how the Cavs can risk all that on Simmons and whether we can massage his ego and build successfully around him, but I don't run the team and I'm not a gambler like the guy who does.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:37 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

If those picks can facilitate a superstar trade, I think I'd rather go after that superstar ... or is someone actually trying to force their way to Philly rather than out?

Ultimately we're talking about how many picks and what protection is on them. If it's 3 firsts with no protection, I just can't see how the Cavs can risk all that on Simmons and whether we can massage his ego and build successfully around him, but I don't run the team and I'm not a gambler like the guy who does.

The fact you think Gilbert might be dumb enough to force something like this is pretty terrifying tbh. I suspect that if Simmons is traded elsewhere, my biggest reaction will be one of relief.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#33 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm fine with getting Kennard, but the cost has basically gotta be free. Like Rubio and some Seconds.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The fact you think Gilbert might be dumb enough to force something like this is pretty terrifying tbh. I suspect that if Simmons is traded elsewhere, my biggest reaction will be one of relief.

I see two possible reasons the Cavs may be interested in Ben:

- plan A) we're interested in Simmons because his value around the league has hit be rock-bottom, we think we can keep him happy, so we have a chance to increase our team's assets - and potentially get a star on the cheap;

- plan B) we feel Ben completes our core (give or take some minor tweaks) and puts us on the path to contention.

If it's plan B, then that's where Dan's personality becomes a concern. He's not going to walk away from a deal he feels will be transformative because he's afraid his team is going to lose games and those picks will have value.

I keep myself sane by trying to find the silver lining in some of these crazy deals. I'm sure I'll try to do the same if we somehow end up with Simmons.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:58 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

- plan A) we're interested in Simmons because his value around the league has hit be rock-bottom, we think we can keep him happy, so we have a chance to increase our team's assets - and potentially get a star on the cheap;

- plan B) we feel Ben completes our core (give or take some minor tweaks) and puts us on the path to contention.

If it's plan B, then that's where Dan's personality becomes a concern. He's not going to walk away from a deal he feels will be transformative because he's afraid his team is going to lose games and those picks will have value.

I keep myself sane by trying to find the silver lining in some of these crazy deals. I'm sure I'll try to do the same if we somehow end up with Simmons.
Hopefully, the entire Kevin Love experience has taught folks that there are sub basements below rock bottom. I'm very worried about Simmons free throw shooting. If you can't shoot, you can't shoot. But don't tell me you can't get in the gym and work on your free throws as a max player. That's very problematic for a number reasons.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:28 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Hopefully, the entire Kevin Love experience has taught folks that there are sub basements below rock bottom. I'm very worried about Simmons free throw shooting. If you can't shoot, you can't shoot. But don't tell me you can't get in the gym and work on your free throws as a max player. That's very problematic for a number reasons.

The red flags regarding Simmons have been there from the beginning, but his talent is such that he can potentially help a team like ours get to the playoffs. You just have to go in without expectation of Ben changing and instead focus on how you can play to his strengths.

Like for instance if we can't figure out how to construct a team and design an offense so he doesn't end-up standing next to the rim and clogging up the paint - we have no business trading for him. If he's the kind of player that's not going to contribute unless the ball is in his hands, do not trade for him unless we plan to put the ball in his hands.

Common sense ... you'd think ...
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#37 » by Harper4Ferry? » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Something to consider, not saying to do it, but to consider..

Cle sends Rubio, Osman, Love
Hou sends Danuel House, Wall

Before you get angry-
Cleve can take House in for the Javale trade exception and can trade Love+Osman for Wall directly which allows us to take back a TPE for the entirety of Rubio’s salary plus 100K(17M and some change). Just a thought anyways.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#38 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:02 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Something to consider, not saying to do it, but to consider..

Before you get angry-
Cleve can take House in for the Javale trade exception and can trade Love+Osman for Wall directly which allows us to take back a TPE for the entirety of Rubio’s salary plus 100K(17M and some change). Just a thought anyways.

Ok ... but why?

You like House that much? Or do you think Wall does something for us?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:03 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Something to consider, not saying to do it, but to consider..

Before you get angry-
If the Cavs trade for John Wall, I'm out. It's a far, far worse idea than trading for Ben Simmons. He's on the very worst contract in the NBA. He won't participate in a buyout. He's a drama queen. He can't shoot. He's not a good defender. He's an athletic player who thinks he's lost a step. He thinks he should still be starting. He doesn't want to play for a rebuilding team.

Now let's look at what the Cavs needs are: shooting, wings, and vet leadership in that order.

I'm straight up a Hornets fan until Gilbert sells the team if that happens.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The red flags regarding Simmons have been there from the beginning, but his talent is such that he can potentially help a team like ours get to the playoffs. You just have to go in without expectation of Ben changing and instead focus on how you can play to his strengths.

Like for instance if we can't figure out how to construct a team and design an offense so he doesn't end-up standing next to the rim and clogging up the paint - we have no business trading for him. If he's the kind of player that's not going to contribute unless the ball is in his hands, do not trade for him unless we plan to put the ball in his hands.

Common sense ... you'd think ...
You can't play to a player's strengths if the other team has decided to hack him as a tactic and he can't make his free throws. That's the sub basement with Simmons, opposing teams start hacking him in the regular season and it works.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers