ImageImageImageImageImage

Summer Runs and Random Player Sightings

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Re: Summer Runs and Random Player Sightings 

Post#221 » by HumbleRen » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:14 am

C_Money wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Thats a very high pick though and its very likely Suggs is at least a 2nd option scorer in this league. I expect Scottie in his prime to be the same.

90% of the 4th picks end up being a 4-5th offensive option on a team.

This was not your typical draft though. There was 4 top prospects projected to be all stars and then “the rest”. I expect Barnes to be as good or better than Suggs. Or else why the hell did we draft him?

There was 3. Suggs in his own tier and then the rest.

We picked him because Suggs and Barnes weren’t projected to be a first option player so you might as well go for the project that has higher potential in Barnes.

There’s only been one player drafted at #4 in the last 13 years to make the all star game more than once and that’s Russell Westbrook.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#222 » by God Squad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:50 am

djsunyc wrote:it's a great study in team construction. masai went off script and took a guy he envisions his team to become.

would it be easier to add scoring to a top flight defensive team to jump up levels or

would it be easier to add defense to a top flight offensive team to jump up levels?

OR... Masai drafted whom he deems has the higher ceiling. I don't think masai just drafted him for his defense. It's that and what he envisions Scottie can become in our development system.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#223 » by God Squad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 am

HumbleRen wrote:
C_Money wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
90% of the 4th picks end up being a 4-5th offensive option on a team.

This was not your typical draft though. There was 4 top prospects projected to be all stars and then “the rest”. I expect Barnes to be as good or better than Suggs. Or else why the hell did we draft him?

We picked him because Suggs and Barnes weren’t projected to be a first option player so you might as well go for the project that has higher potential in Barnes.

There’s only been one player drafted at #4 in the last 13 years to make the all star game more than once and that’s Russell Westbrook.

Not only that, but the draft "consensus" is usually "WRONG". So it's best to trust your scouting department as opposed to going with random mocks. I have no doubt Suggs will be in the ROY conversations this year with Green and Cade. But that doesn't mean they'll be the best players in 3-4 years. Mobley (sorry a$$ team) could very well challenge, and same for Scottie once he gets some seasoning.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Post#224 » by HumbleRen » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:37 am

God Squad wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
C_Money wrote:

Not only that, but the draft "consensus" is usually "WRONG". So it's best to trust your scouting department as opposed to going with random mocks. I have no doubt Suggs will be in the ROY conversations this year with Green and Cade. But that doesn't mean they'll be the best players in 3-4 years. Mobley (sorry a$$ team) could very well challenge, and same for Scottie once he gets some seasoning.

For sure but my main point is, the draft is a crapshoot outside of the top 2 picks most of the time.

Expecting or demanding a 4th pick to be a first option player on a playoff team is a tall order. It’s hard as hell to be one even for a mediocre team let alone a playoff contender.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#225 » by Mikistan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:24 pm

Scottie would shut Suggs down completely.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#226 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Will be fun to see our SL in 2 yrs.

Fred
Scottie
OG
Siakam
Precious
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#227 » by OhCanada1091 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm

God Squad wrote:
djsunyc wrote:it's a great study in team construction. masai went off script and took a guy he envisions his team to become.

would it be easier to add scoring to a top flight defensive team to jump up levels or

would it be easier to add defense to a top flight offensive team to jump up levels?

OR... Masai drafted whom he deems has the higher ceiling. I don't think masai just drafted him for his defense. It's that and what he envisions Scottie can become in our development system.

Pretty much. They picked him because he's a Raptor. He's basically the face of everything this organizations about. All about winning, great teammate, hard worker, loves the city already which is huge, had a relationship or link to some of the players and staff, hes a big versatile player, can play multiple positions. This is what Toronto has been looking for forever now.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#228 » by gp2015 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm

C_Money wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
C_Money wrote:I’m more concerned about Scottie Barnes’ offence tbh. We already have OG for the lockdown defender role. If defence is all Scottie brings to the table then we wasted the 4th overall pick and an entire year of tanking.

It's going to take some time for sure but might be worth it at the end, like it is with OG. Look at how OG looked on offense when he first got here compared to now.

I'm expecting his offense to be pretty ugly for the first little while.

At the same time, it's not like we were getting our 1st, 2nd or 3rd offensive option picking at #4. We're going to need to find that somewhere else.

Thats a very high pick though and its very likely Suggs is at least a 2nd option scorer in this league. I expect Scottie in his prime to be the same.

IMO Suggs can be a second option for a bad team but not so sure he can be one for a championship level team. He still needs to work on his shooting in order to get there.

The top 3 picks have better potential to get there faster.

It's going to take a bit of time for them both to develop into top scoring options. Scottie probably takes longer but Masai is banking on that he develops into a better overall player.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#229 » by 720 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:06 pm

I've probably watched that Barnes scrimmage video like 5 times already. :lol:

Can't wait to see how he plays with our starters. OG and him on the court at the same time will be interesting.
True North
Rookie
And1: 1,426

Post#230 » by True North » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#231 » by Mikistan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 pm

True North wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Couldn't even spell his name right....
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#232 » by MixxSRC » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:39 am

ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#233 » by ash_k » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:45 am

True North wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

It belongs to that Masai: We have a Young Team and there will be Growing Pains. :lol:

>Siakam made the point about the (proven)"WINNING CORE" of FVV, OG and himself, when asked about Playoff's next season.
>He made the point about playing nothing but roadgames. Too many posters around here might have that NHL culture around homeice not being a factor(if at all) affecting their perception of the NBA homecourt
>But Pascal did say 5 or 6 months recovery. If it is latter then it will mean around 24 missed games ! that's a awful lot.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Federalies
Rookie
And1: 1,424

Post#234 » by Federalies » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:39 am

Federalies
Rookie
And1: 1,424

Post#235 » by Federalies » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:35 am

Boyz night out in the 6!

duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#236 » by duppyy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 am

Federalies wrote:Boyz night out in the 6!

Damn that's like 1 minute away from where I live. Wish I was walking around there lol.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#237 » by God Squad » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 am

Federalies wrote:Boyz night out in the 6!

Damn that's fire.
1. Damn Dragic bonding with the guys/reporting to camp!
2. The city looks dead af due to covid
3. Scottie establishing himself as fan favorite
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#238 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 am

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#239 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:33 am

Yuta & Issac bonga play together here. They've been training with this guy for months.

Yuta's shot looks like it's going in every time

Former raptor TD3 lighting guys up too

In Raptor Ball I Trust
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#240 » by RaptorPride » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:35 am

Spoiler:

Return to Toronto Raptors