Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize money

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#41 » by DTP » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:30 am

rand wrote:Naked cash grab that has no natural value to NBA player legacies so they have to bribe players to give a crap. I can't understand what other NBA fans find appealing about this pointless exercise. We already have a tournament: it's called the playoffs and it lasts two months, and we don't have to bribe players to get them to care.

Amen! But this is going to be forced on us because Silver has been trying to do it for years and won't take no. It seems like everything Silver has done has been about money and not the actual game of basketball, which is why the basketball has suffered since he's taken over.

On another note- why do people keep crying that the season is too long? I seriously don't understand it from a fan perspective....why do you want to see less of your team? The majority of the league is off from Mid-April to the end of September....that's 5 freaking months. Teams that make it to the finals aren't playing a crazy amount of games from April-June and get 3 months off before training camp starts again. When these guys aren't in season, they play basketball anyways....I seriously don't get the argument at all of the season being too long. If anything, I wish they would it extend it 2 weeks (start a week earlier and end a week later) so that there are less back to backs and such but the season being too long argument I just don't get.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#42 » by jfs1000d » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 am

Great idea. The nba season sucks for some teams. It is all about playoff and seeding and load management. Make games more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#43 » by jfs1000d » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 am

SNPA wrote:Dumb. Teams will rest stars. Stars will like the rest since only one team makes the million and they make that much every 2-3 games anyways.

That won’t happen. End of bench guys gonna want that million.

SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#44 » by SNPA » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:45 am

jfs1000d wrote:
SNPA wrote:Dumb. Teams will rest stars. Stars will like the rest since only one team makes the million and they make that much every 2-3 games anyways.

That won’t happen. End of bench guys gonna want that million.

Sure. And end of bench guys will play hard. GM’s won’t want their stars involved in any games not counting toward playoff seeding. Why would they? If GM’s could get their guys out of the all star game they’d do that too.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,312

Post#45 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:52 am

Feel like I'd have to see it to make a real determination tbh. Dont love it but anything that brings real competition and hustle to the regular season would be welcome.
Hopefully they'd even let them play real defense like they do in the real playoffs, lol.
I do feel like a lot of these complaints though -- that it's a "gimmick" -- have to feel very similar to complaints of the league adopting the 3-point line in 1980. One could argue this is even less gimmicky.
Personally I'd go all in on the gimmicky aspect. Let each team choose the 3 players on the other team that get deactivated. Would give teams with more depth and less star power a better chance, and also spark more competitiveness as the active players get to feel "disrespected" by the opposing team 8-) :lol:
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#46 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 am

azcatz11 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:Can’t help but think this is going to cause the real playoffs to lose some luster. NBA is going full on spectacle mode with every move that’s been made by Silver

Yes, perhaps the best commissioner in sports ever.

Who is?

My guess is this is sarcasm and is missing the green font.
normgod6
Junior
And1: 767

Post#47 » by normgod6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:57 am

this is a great idea to make the regular season more interesting and give rebuilding teams something to play for. its also a great way to showcase the young talent around the league. instead, you have jaded fans who are allergic to any form of change. Im glad Adam Silver has more vision for the league than anyone here

Sent from my SM-A530W using RealGM mobile app
geezr714
Junior
And1: 481

Post#48 » by geezr714 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:06 am

If the players are up for it, I'm open to seeing basketball with some different terms. It'd be fun.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,732

Post#49 » by Jadoogar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Homer38 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:banghead:

After the play in,this is a another horrible idea by Silver.He want the NBA look like the soccer in Europe :banghead: :banghead: :roll:

Yeah wild to adopt highly popular ideas from the most popular sports leagues in the world. Whatever could he possibly be thinking about?

but the NBA is not like soccer. The separate domestic leagues are on somewhat equal footing so an international tournament makes sense. That's why the Champions League is such a prestigious trophy. Basketball has one league that's clearly above the rest, there's no accomplishment for whatever team beats up on the lessor leagues. Even good teams like Barcelona would get stomped by an NBA team.

Even domestic tournaments like the FA Cup makes more sense in soccer because there are hundreds of clubs in England with long histories and deeply rooted ties to their communities. No one has an allegiance to the Birmingham Squadron

An in season tournament with the exact same teams as regular just makes 0 sense from an entertainment standpoint.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,732

Post#50 » by Jadoogar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:17 am

DTP wrote:
rand wrote:Naked cash grab that has no natural value to NBA player legacies so they have to bribe players to give a crap. I can't understand what other NBA fans find appealing about this pointless exercise. We already have a tournament: it's called the playoffs and it lasts two months, and we don't have to bribe players to get them to care.

On another note- why do people keep crying that the season is too long? I seriously don't understand it from a fan perspective....why do you want to see less of your team?

Several reasons:
1. More games means each game matter less and therefore stars take nights off. This has been increasing more and more in recent years
2. LONG stretches for tanking teams, even their fans don't care to watch that
3. More games doesn't necessarily = good or exciting basketball. You interested in watching a Magic vs Kings game in March when both teams are eliminated from the playoffs?
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#51 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:26 am

i dont like money. they should guarantee playoff spot and give best player some kind of all star status.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#52 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:29 am

Bologna Smasher wrote:Seems like they're trying to milk that "mini playoff" sort of atmosphere they created with the play-in. As a fan, you'd like to see it, but we already have people complaining about the season being too long. Not to mention the influx of injuries, rest time, etc.

Maybe they ought to just make certain weeks of the regular season be the tournament. Basically makes the regular season games feel more important.

no i dont want mini playoff with 82 games. the idea of mid tournament it replaces boring 20 games of rs with playoff atmosphere.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#53 » by EArl » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 am

All that is going to happen is that team will play their scrubs in order to rest their main guys.1 million isn't a lot for these guys. An incentive cannot be money. Maybe some of homeport advantage in the playoffs or a chance at the lottery for a team.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#54 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lmao...are they actively trying to make the regular season completely meaningless? wtf is this.

Player empowerment already killed the regular season. They’re trying to generate interest in it again. Maybe the in-season tournament winner gets a bye or an extra win.

Exactomundo. Tv contract negotiations are coming up. Get used to seeing more gimmicks. They will need to generate more interest. Tv ratings are at an all time low. NHL level of relevance in America.

In a league that was more well managed, they should be able to pull in NFL sized tv contracts. If they go into another lockout, they will crush the league because every time they locked out, they never recovered the audience they had before for the long term.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lmao...are they actively trying to make the regular season completely meaningless? wtf is this.

Player empowerment already killed the regular season. They’re trying to generate interest in it again. Maybe the in-season tournament winner gets a bye or an extra win.

they trying to drum up interest in the regular season by creating something other than the regular season that will give the players another excuse to use the RS for rest for?

lmao ok.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,772

Post#56 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:
Yes, perhaps the best commissioner in sports ever.

Who is?

My guess is this is sarcasm and is missing the green font.

Either that or bait I couldn’t tell
normgod6
Junior
And1: 767

Post#57 » by normgod6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:13 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

Exactomundo. Tv contract negotiations are coming up. Get used to seeing more gimmicks. They will need to generate more interest. Tv ratings are at an all time low. NHL level of relevance in America.

In a league that was more well managed, they should be able to pull in NFL sized tv contracts. If they go into another lockout, they will crush the league because every time they locked out, they never recovered the audience they had before for the long term.
i assure you as a hockey and basketball fan, the NHL can only dream it has NBA'S level of relevance.

DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#58 » by DTP » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:14 am

Jadoogar wrote:
DTP wrote:

On another note- why do people keep crying that the season is too long? I seriously don't understand it from a fan perspective....why do you want to see less of your team?

Several reasons:
1. More games means each game matter less and therefore stars take nights off. This has been increasing more and more in recent years
2. LONG stretches for tanking teams, even their fans don't care to watch that
3. More games doesn't necessarily = good or exciting basketball. You interested in watching a Magic vs Kings game in March when both teams are eliminated from the playoffs?

Do NHL fans whine about this too? MLB plays 162 and I don't see MLB fans whining about it. Players will "load manage" now regardless of how long the season is, because it has become more about status than anything else. This is why we see 20 year old rookies load managing....its so stupid.

The work load is fine.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#59 » by WarriorGM » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 am

More empty gimmicks and repackaging to manipulate and excite the gullible public. People who thought the play-in last year was fantastic are probably the same people who think buying merchandise during an event billed as a "sale" even though it is sold at the same regular price are getting a deal.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#60 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 am

normgod6 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

i assure you as a hockey and basketball fan, the NHL can only dream it has NBA'S level of relevance.

NHL level of relevance in America, it has become a very niche audience as ratings have been dropping or trending down for some time now. Considering NHL is a foreign sport and NBA is an American sport, there is no reason why basketball has shrunk so much when in the late 80's and early 90's they were doing very well.

Return to The General Board