Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#1761 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:37 am

Wow, Nagy's evasive word salad pressers get worse by the week. So emblematic of a top down lack of vision.

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,399

Post#1762 » by fleet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:40 am

Dresden wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
Dresden wrote:
I agree, you can't pin this loss on Andy Dalton, or believe that Fields would have been any better. I was impressed with how many balls Dalton completed, and how quick and accurate his throws were. We would have been in this game, if not for the defensive blunders.

I thought the pass/run mix was spot on, until late in the game when the outcome was decided. Up until then, they were doing a great job of mixing it up.

At some point, you do have to take some shots down the field though, no matter how bad the line is. It's just asking too much of the offense to move the ball 80 yards on 5 yards plays. They did have a couple of impressive long drives, but you need a few big plays sprinkled in there, too.

All in all, I thought the offense wasn't bad. Certainly not great, but much better than what we've seen. They ran the ball well, they moved the chains, they completed passes when they needed to. There's something to build on there. But until they get that line fixed, there's only so much they can do.

I think Dalton had a decent game as well. But I would say most of it was just what the Rams were willing to give him. Fields may have been able to extend some plays. Also it helps if you have a QB that can roll out and run some bootlegs. Keeps the defense a little more honest which might open up some of those shots down the field.

True, but I also wonder if Fields could have been as accurate and quick with his throws as Dalton was.

There’s not much scoreboard value in just that, so….not sure we should care. The only question is how much blame youu place on the QB or the ‘system”. Gotta believe there is blame to be divided. If you look at Andy Dalton’s numbers the last few years, a lot of years with 6 yards per attempt. The Cowboys lost a lot of real production when Dalton played V Dak. But really, this discussion buries the lead. Which QB can play with this busted ass line, if any? The main problem wasn’t Dalton
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#1763 » by Susan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:40 am

logical_art wrote:As a Giants fan I'll be following you guys closely. We both seem to suck, but at least you might have the QB of your future, whereas it doesn't look like the Giants have theirs. Hoping Fields succeeds, after this season.

Regardless of our record this year, I'd do this trade 10/10. Even if Jones isn't the dude, you guys will have plenty of draft capital to move on.

What do you think of Judge? You guys played us hard last year but without Barkley at 100% it's an uphill battle.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#1764 » by Susan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:56 am

fleet wrote: Which QB can play with this busted ass line?

If they're able to run like that against a top flight defense, Fields absolutely can play with this line. Play action + rolling out and moving the pocket so he has time to take shots down field.

The WR core is 100% suited for Fields big arm vs Dalton's noodle. Compare the offensive groups from Mitch's rookie year and you'll see we're much more prepared to develop a young QB now.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,131

Post#1765 » by molepharmer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 pm

If Nagy's passing attack is going to be 95% short, quick, less than 15 yrd passes, why the heck did the Bears only sign speedy WRs (i.e. Goodwin, Perriman, Byrd) ? Byrd isn't scaring any defense and Perriman is on his 6th team in seven years. Maybe they should just play a 5 TE set with Graham, Jones and Kmet split out.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1766 » by fleet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Biggs speculating high ankle sprain for Borum
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#1767 » by Dresden » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:50 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Wow, Nagy's evasive word salad pressers get worse by the week. So emblematic of a top down lack of vision.

Read on Twitter

How would you have answered that?
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#1768 » by Dresden » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 pm

fleet wrote:
Dresden wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:

I think Dalton had a decent game as well. But I would say most of it was just what the Rams were willing to give him. Fields may have been able to extend some plays. Also it helps if you have a QB that can roll out and run some bootlegs. Keeps the defense a little more honest which might open up some of those shots down the field.

True, but I also wonder if Fields could have been as accurate and quick with his throws as Dalton was.

There’s not much scoreboard value in just that, so….not sure we should care. The only question is how much blame youu place on the QB or the ‘system”. Gotta believe there is blame to be divided. If you look at Andy Dalton’s numbers the last few years, a lot of years with 6 yards per attempt. The Cowboys lost a lot of real production when Dalton played V Dak. But really, this discussion buries the lead. Which QB can play with this busted ass line, if any? The main problem wasn’t Dalton

What do you mean "scoreboard value"? Dalton was able to move the ball down the field twice for TD's, in part due his accuracy. If Fields couldn't do that, that might be two less TD's the Bears would have had.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#1769 » by Stratmaster » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:38 pm

Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:
Dresden wrote:

What do you mean "scoreboard value"? Dalton was able to move the ball down the field twice for TD's, in part due his accuracy. If Fields couldn't do that, that might be two less TD's the Bears would have had.
Dalton was mostly fine. Wth that said, I don't think Dalton has some special way of handing off the ball that helped Montgomery run better.

This wasn't on Dalton, but if the Bears offense is limited to dink and dunk they won't score many points. 14 points in the NFL is a losing total pretty much in every game.

I get what the Bears are doing with Fields and didn't necessarily disagree wth it. However, after watching game 1, a more mobile QB who can extend plays to get the ball down the field more looks like a necessity if the Bears want to win.

Biggest Nagy gaff was taking Fields out after he completed a pass to make it 3rd and goal from the 3. If you are playing Fields sparingly and based on situation isn't that the obvious time you want his running threat in the game?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,758

Post#1770 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 pm

Stratmaster wrote:I get what the Bears are doing with Fields and didn't necessarily disagree wth it. However, after watching game 1, a more mobile QB who can extend plays to get the ball down the field more looks like a necessity if the Bears want to win.

A more mobile QB can hide the issues of the OL until they can get addressed.

I don't care if Dalton as fine, you are not going to win many games playing his style of football. If the Bears continue on this road, they will have handle the Giants likely a top 5 pick in next year's draft.

A more mobile QB extends plays for the offense, wears down the other teams defense and freshens up your own defense. Dalton does not do that. I don't care he led them to 14 points, that like the Bulls scoring 88 points in the current NBA. On the surface it looks good(?) but in reality is mediocrity at it's meh.

But here's my problem, we all know Matt Nagy the playcaller is mediocre personified and that's not going to change. One of two things will happen if/when Nagy puts Fields in:

1. Nagy's playcalling will hinder Fields development. IOW, Nagy won't trust Fields to throw the ball more than 10 yards per attempt. (Freaking coward of a coach.)

2. Fields will blow up and become the player people envision when the Bears traded up to get him. This would be a good/bad thing. Good: in the sense the Bears will finally have THATQB in their franchise. Bad: it probably means Nagy's job is saved. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Post#1771 » by Jimako10 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 pm

I was hoping the Saints would look awful this year without Brees so that Sean Payton would come home and coach the bears next year. Nope, Winston 5 TDs 0 ints and the Saints destroyed the packers.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,251

Post#1772 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:05 pm

chicagoballer wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
34-17 Rams. This secondary is gonna be chewed up and spit out by a lot of teams IMO.

FYI there no games this week.

So close! If only Nagy hadn’t attempted a 4th and 15 prayer.

Shocking when you cut your best corner and juggle through journeymen to add to an already mediocre secondary, your defense isn’t going to be good.
Who knew?!?! Oh, anyone that has a handle of how football works.

We did well first week. Im going 27-23 bears next week. You?

I'll take 24-23 Bengals. Chase looked a lot sharper than people expected. Not sure how the secondary is going to stop him and Higgins.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,651

Post#1773 » by sco » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I get what the Bears are doing with Fields and didn't necessarily disagree wth it. However, after watching game 1, a more mobile QB who can extend plays to get the ball down the field more looks like a necessity if the Bears want to win.

I don't care if Dalton as fine, you are not going to win many games playing his style of football. If the Bears continue on this road, they will have handle the Giants likely a top 5 pick in next year's draft.

A more mobile QB extends plays for the offense, wears down the other teams defense and freshens up your own defense. Dalton does not do that. I don't care he led them to 14 points, that like the Bulls scoring 88 points in the current NBA. On the surface it looks good(?) but in reality is mediocrity at it's meh.

But here's my problem, we all know Matt Nagy the playcaller is mediocre personified and that's not going to change. One of two things will happen if/when Nagy puts Fields in:

1. Nagy's playcalling will hinder Fields development. IOW, Nagy won't trust Fields to throw the ball more than 10 yards per attempt. (Freaking coward of a coach.)

2. Fields will blow up and become the player people envision when the Bears traded up to get him. This would be a good/bad thing. Good: in the sense the Bears will finally have THATQB in their franchise. Bad: it probably means Nagy's job is saved. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think your first comment is true of an experienced mobile QB, but for a rookie, speed alone is not going to save him from having his a$$ handed too him. I want to give the O-Line another 4 games to not completely suck before throwing Fields to the dogs, and actually give the kid a chance to succeed.
:clap:
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,898

Post#1774 » by biggestbullsfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 pm

Andy didn’t do bad. That interception was bad but he didn’t have a bad week overall. Just not inspiring. That loss fall solely on the defense.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1775 » by fleet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 pm

grumbling has started. Glad to hear it. Normally it would bother me. But whats the point in respecting a sinking ship, captained by second rate people

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1776 » by fleet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Preach Kyle. Kyle Brandt is my spirit animal this year.

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1777 » by fleet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:29 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Wow, Nagy's evasive word salad pressers get worse by the week. So emblematic of a top down lack of vision.

Read on Twitter

The beat writers are in a foul mood. They are done with the word salads and happy talk from the 2 amigos

Read on Twitter
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 586

Post#1778 » by Almost Retired » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Dresden wrote:
the ultimates wrote:We know the offensive line isn't great but giving Nagy that excuse needs to stop. Why, because he doesn't call a game like he has a questionable line. Protecting your offensive line is more than just short passes. You leave a tight end or two to block you leave the running back in. Go to a two-back set and let one or both stay into block or chip and release. The Rams got their first touchdown off of a play-action max protect rollout. Nagy will call some of those plays randomly on occasion but it's clear it's not a part of his philosophy.

Why should it stop? It's like saying stop talking about the huge hole in the middle of the road that we have to drive over every day, because if you stop talking about it, pretty soon it will cease to exist. The line sucks at pass protection, and it has for years now, and we've seen the effect that has on our mid and deep passing games. The QB is running for his life after a few seconds, often getting sacked and/or fumbling, which in turn puts us in second or third and long situations, which we can't get out of.

Much better to just keep picking up 5-6 yards at a crack, avoiding big losses and turnovers. But until the line improves, having time to throw a 30 yard pass pattern is very problematic.
There are 25 yards between a 5 yard pass and a 30 yard pass. Somewhere in the middle would be nice... but I acknowledge your point. [b]The OL has been bad for what like forever.
Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

The Bears front office has not emphasized the OL since Jim Finks was making the picks. Pace is the worst. He's struck out on so many 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders that he keeps trying to pick up skill players year after year. On paper our current O-Line looks about as weak a unit as you can find in the league. I think starting Dalton this year is the right move. Don't risk getting Fields seriously injured by blind side hits less than 3 seconds after the snap. And it is long overdue that we draft a real Left Tackle in the early rounds. We're never going to win consistently with a weak O-Line cobbled together with geriatric free agents and 5th round picks (or lower). Finks taught us that you win from the line of scrimmage. Too bad the subsequent GMs forgot that lesson.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1779 » by fleet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:42 pm

Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:
Dresden wrote:

Andy Dalton led teams dont score much, plain and simple. The accuracy mentioned as a concern about missing out on amounted to 14 points in game 1. Dalton is not a mystery or any kind of loss. Stratmaster answered better than I did. Anyway, food for thought:

Read on Twitter
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,758

Post#1780 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 pm

sco wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

I think your first comment is true of an experienced mobile QB, but for a rookie, speed alone is not going to save him from having his a$$ handed too him. I want to give the O-Line another 4 games to not completely suck before throwing Fields to the dogs, and actually give the kid a chance to succeed.

He's only a "rookie" in experience in the NFL. He knows how to use his speed and elusiveness. It's about getting him use to the speed of the game and that is something he can't learn on the sideline.

He does not need to wait another 4 games. The players want Fields starting, period. The only person Nagy is thinking about in the locker room is Andy Dalton. Hell, players are already taking subtle shots at Nagy through the media, which tells me Nagy is already losing the clubhouse. The longer he waits on making the switch, the more he losses the locker room.

Return to Chicago Bulls