Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize money

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,100

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#61 » by art_tatum » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:49 am

Yes remove the all star game, just name all stars. Cut like 5 games from the season and do a mid season ncaa knockout tourney.

No one cares about the regular season anymore in all sports except american football due to the low number of games
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#62 » by Lunartic » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:52 am

What would be the purpose? 1million prize money isn't worth it for players like KD/Bron/Kawhi/Curry/Embiid, they all have injury concerns and 1m doesn't even pay for the MRIs.

Is it to determine seeding? That's a horrific idea.
Determine drafting? I don't see how that would work.

Just stop changing things and adding things, silly tournaments, trash jerseys, etc. Just play the game.
ChantMVP
Freshman
And1: 96

Post#64 » by ChantMVP » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:12 am

This is a great idea. Having only one trophy in an entire calendar year means outside of the playoffs the rest of the time is bland. I'm sure many like me start to lose interest in the reg. season after the all star break.

On top of that, literally 29/30 teams end the season with absolutely nothing to show for it. Why not give some more opportunities for teams to have success.

As for the wear & tear concern, as others have mentioned im sure they will add a break in there. But they should also consider counting these games as reg season games to keep the same # total.

The same people hating now will probably be loving the spectacle when it comes, just like that Lakers vs Warriors play in that came down to a 35 ft triple by LeBron.

People don't like change, even if it's for the better.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:45 am

ChantMVP wrote:This is a great idea. Having only one trophy in an entire calendar year means outside of the playoffs the rest of the time is bland. I'm sure many like me start to lose interest in the reg. season after the all star break.

On top of that, literally 29/30 teams end the season with absolutely nothing to show for it. Why not give some more opportunities for teams to have success.

As for the wear & tear concern, as others have mentioned im sure they will add a break in there. But they should also consider counting these games as reg season games to keep the same # total.

The same people hating now will probably be loving the spectacle when it comes, just like that Lakers vs Warriors play in that came down to a 35 ft triple by LeBron.

no -- people want change...

1) fix the officiating
2) allow defenses to defend
3) slim down the RS
4) limit the amount of teams that make the POs
5) playoff reseedings
6) remove conferences

etc. etc.

people don't mind changes, and even advocate for changes that actively make the game better?

this isn't that...this is a fkn gimmick to distract from the **** show the RS has turned into...and this will only make the RS even more **** irrelevant. if that's the intention, by all means just scrap the RS all together or turn it into a 5 month long preseason which is what it already is pretty much at this point.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#66 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:56 am

ChantMVP wrote:This is a great idea. Having only one trophy in an entire calendar year means outside of the playoffs the rest of the time is bland. I'm sure many like me start to lose interest in the reg. season after the all star break.

curry doesnt give a fk he earns 60mil. i bet he would rather troll ja morant and let him by jacking up 1/20 threes.
i dont hate it but the stars hating makes me hate it if you get it. nobody cares abt garbage trophy thats same as summer league. do you care if ben simmons win roy and summer league every yr?
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#67 » by Homer38 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 am

Silver is going to kill this league ... For the play-in, if it would not have been the unexpected matchup between the warriors and the lakers, just because of the injuries of the lakers, no one would have been interested to see his future first round exits team...No one was interested to see the atrocious play-in in the east and we will rarely see stars like Curry or LBJ in this play-in, let alone a matchup between 2 super stars and two accomplished teams in the past

For the mid-season tournament, I wouldn't be surprised if the best teams or the majority of teams will play their G-league or young guy in this mid-season tournament, since its teams have more important goals in their season.No way players like LBJ, KD, Curry, Giannis and much less Kawhi will be interested in this and they will play his games.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 am

Lunartic wrote:What would be the purpose? 1million prize money isn't worth it for players like KD/Bron/Kawhi/Curry/Embiid, they all have injury concerns and 1m doesn't even pay for the MRIs.

Just stop changing things and adding things, silly tournaments, trash jerseys, etc. Just play the game.

what is even the point of it? to win what? a mid season tourney trophy? what will that even mean? just dumb, so gimmicky and stupid.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#69 » by Homer38 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:09 am

Soon, when we discuss a player’s legacy, we’ll say:

0 titles
0 All-Star appearances
But 3 mid-season tournament titles and 2 mid-season tourney MVP’s
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,506

Post#70 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 am

The game's biggest issue that prevents it from taking off in terms of popularity is the amount of stoppage of play.

The priority should be reducing the number of time-outs, shortening the duration of time-outs, and shortening the duration lf video reviews by implementing a VAR-style system with dedicated video officials.

TV partners might be reluctant to lose some advertisement money, but it would sure lead to better ratings. You can make up for the ad money in other creative ways, and no that doesn't include putting more ads on jerseys or on the hardwood floors.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,170

Post#71 » by donnieme » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 am

SNPA wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
SNPA wrote:Dumb. Teams will rest stars. Stars will like the rest since only one team makes the million and they make that much every 2-3 games anyways.

That won’t happen. End of bench guys gonna want that million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. And end of bench guys will play hard. GM’s won’t want their stars involved in any games not counting toward playoff seeding. Why would they? If GM’s could get their guys out of the all star game they’d do that too.

This is true. Silver would need to make the games count towards seeding or sacrificing the tournament becomes a no-brainer for contenders. Making it work will be way too complicated for the league to go through with it. Can see them scrapping this idea before it even leaves the drawing board.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,702

Post#72 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:36 am

This was floated two years ago and players absolutely tore into it making it a joke. It ain’t happening.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,888

Post#73 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:05 am

Lunartic wrote:What would be the purpose? 1million prize money isn't worth it for players like KD/Bron/Kawhi/Curry/Embiid, they all have injury concerns and 1m doesn't even pay for the MRIs.

And therein lies the problem…. elite players making too much money to care about the RS and player empowerment enabling them to give the finger to ownership and the NBA. Then there’s Kawhi taking load management to the next level and openly saying the regular season is meaningless to him.

What’s Silver to do, then? This has nothing to do with rule changes. It has everything to do with motivation and taking the easiest path to rings, which builds your legacy, brand and platform. The journey and struggle doesn’t matter for superstars anymore, except Giannis. It’s all about getting the result, ie, the Ringzz in the easiest way possible by teaming up with other stars which allows you to coast through the regular season and still make the playoffs. Brooklyn Nets are the poster child for that mentality. The inmates and their agents are running the asylum. A possible way to curb this would be to remove the cap and contract length for franchise players to make them leave 100s of millions on the table if they leave their team in free agency to join a super team. A million bucks isn’t a strong enough motivation. 100 million would be.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#74 » by jpengland » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:49 am

Make it really interesting, throw in a 1st rounder for the winner with a random draw after the final game for it fall anywhere from 1 - 31.

Players and teams are talking it seriously if it could result in a number one pick.

Straight knock out tournament.
Invite 2 G League teams to make up the numbers.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Post#75 » by jk31 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Homer38 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:banghead:

After the play in,this is a another horrible idea by Silver.He want the NBA look like the soccer in Europe :banghead: :banghead: :roll:

Yeah wild to adopt highly popular ideas from the most popular sports leagues in the world. Whatever could he possibly be thinking about?

This would obviously reduce a too long regular season and give players an extended mid-season break as they get eliminated but with a real incentive to try and win. This leads to better basketball in the 2nd half of the RS as a bonus.

Seems like an interesting concept with a lot of details to work out, but on the surface should add revenue and interest to the league. Feels pretty win/win for everyone.

Which most popular sports leagues in the world have an mid-season tournament consisting only of the teams of the actual league? In football the "thrill" behind the tournament cups is that it is NOT only teams of the actual league, but for example in germany basically everyone 4th (or 5th?) division and up wil take part, so you have games of bundesliga teams vs 5th division teams and sometimes upsets happen and these lower league teams beat the top teams. That is why many people like the cup idea there. In the NBA it will just be exactly the same as regular season games.
Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

Post#76 » by Ugalde » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:26 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Ugalde wrote:i liked the play in this year it was fun. i think in general it will suck though.

i don’t see any reason this won’t fail

west was good. east was boring. as always depends on who the teams are.

i think the west will be boring also most years. it was a fluke that bron and curry were somehow such a low seed. normally whoever is that low a seed won’t matter at all because they’re getting destroyed by the 1st seed anyway
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,317

Post#77 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:46 am

All you new thing haters still licking your wounds from the play-in being a pretty fun end to the season.

As NBA fans we just love having stuff to talk about and basketball to watch. I don't really see why this proposed tournament will not tick those boxes for us. Even if for some of us "having stuff to talk about" means bashing just for bashing's sake. Some posters here have genuine curiosity of how it will work and are providing reasonable concerns, but I'm convinced some posters here are just "new stuff bad!" types.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,450

Post#78 » by Stan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:50 am

You can't just invent a midseason tournament after having 60+ years without one and expect fans to care about it. Seriously, who the hell is gonna care about this lol? Do you see fans or even the players of the team that wins going around celebrating a tournament that means absolutely nothing? This wouldn't even have more legitimacy than the all-star game.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,294

Post#79 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:The game's biggest issue that prevents it from taking off in terms of popularity is the amount of stoppage of play.

The priority should be reducing the number of time-outs, shortening the duration of time-outs, and shortening the duration lf video reviews by implementing a VAR-style system with dedicated video officials.

TV partners might be reluctant to lose some advertisement money, but it would sure lead to better ratings. You can make up for the ad money in other creative ways, and no that doesn't include putting more ads on jerseys or on the hardwood floors.

You might be right, but American football is the ratings king and literally the majority of every game is play stoppage.
Personally I thought it sucked when they took timeouts away at the end of games. That's the best part of the game so it taking a little longer didn't bother me.
Also felt like fewer timeouts at the end meant less strategy, and now instead of getting to see a play we often see a player dribble it up and just jack a 3 or try to bait a ref into blowing the whistle.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,294

Post#80 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:01 pm

Stan wrote:You can't just invent a midseason tournament after having 60+ years without one and expect fans to care about it. Seriously, who the hell is gonna care about this lol? Do you see fans or even the players of the team that wins going around celebrating a tournament that means absolutely nothing? This wouldn't even have more legitimacy than the all-star game.

The 3-point line was also arbitrarily created as a gimmick to increase interest in the league, and now many fans love it (though some dont, too).
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to The General Board