Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,532

Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only): Expect warnings if not following forum rules 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:56 am

Have fun!

As a few general reminders, make sure you are intending to post reasonable posts and no intentionally awful counters. Thanks so much.

I try my best to ignore these threads, and I think I have done really well so far. Because the mod salary of 0 dollars doesn't make looking at this thread worth it more often than not it is always a train wreck between How many top prospects can we get and you will take my 8th best player.

But as the reports pile up faster than the pages in the thread let me try to be clear here:

1) Be reasonable.
2) Be polite
3) Be reasonable
4) If you cannot be reasonable, go for a delightful hike and post pictures on social media of your triumphs?
5) Expect mods to push back at the posts that seem unreasonable. If you post that Simmons = Love, expect a few tongue in cheeks or less polite replies. As mods we like to ensure there is realistic conversation. Sometimes people bristle at this notion of a mod consensus (claimed in the last thread despite I think one active trade board mod posting, lol). More often people complain that yahoos get to post "Your best player (and picks from you?) for trash because it makes me happy. As with any trade thread, expect pushback if you start posting that a player generally viewed as good is actually negative value and you will accept being paid to take them (or similar).

At this point I'm going to relax and stop ignoring closing the reports and just giving warnings. If you think someone deserves one; make my life easy and report it. If you backseat moderate, expect someone to make my life easy and report you for a warning.

Thanks all. I will copy this to the OP so hopefully no one misses it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Ben Simmons trades go here (and here only) 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:42 pm

I'll be honest (sorry) - I think CJ makes a lot of sense for Philly. He's what they need - a combo guard who's a great shooter and can create - and would blend well with Maxey and Green - who can both offset his weakness on D. Yes, Simmons is a better player, but Philly is not dealing from strength.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#3 » by rzzzzz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'll be honest (sorry) - I think CJ makes a lot of sense for Philly. He's what they need - a combo guard who's a great shooter and can create - and would blend well with Maxey and Green - who can both offset his weakness on D. Yes, Simmons is a better player, but Philly is not dealing from strength.

I got CJ at #1 fallback position. He went to school close to Philly. Even at 30, I wonder if there’s any more ceiling since he’s never had the chance at #1 pg for Portland, because of the brilliance of Dame. But, I admit I’m infatuated with at least one or two young pg prospects from small markets whose teams, treading water, could really use a top defender, as well as whatever PR benefits from a still young, multiple all star, who they wouldn’t have much of a chance of acquiring in free agency.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#4 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'll be honest (sorry) - I think CJ makes a lot of sense for Philly. He's what they need - a combo guard who's a great shooter and can create - and would blend well with Maxey and Green - who can both offset his weakness on D. Yes, Simmons is a better player, but Philly is not dealing from strength.

My main issue with CJ is that it ties a significant chunk of the cap into two of the worst max level salaries (Harris/CJ). Being able to turn around and flip CJ if a Beal type becomes available is a lot harder too than either taking a pick/youngster heavy package and waiting for that star to become available.

On the flip side of that argument it could mean punting on a year of prime Embiid which isn’t ideal. And that is part of what makes the Simmons trade tough without a star being on the market.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#5 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:01 pm

Also, friendly reminder, don’t be rude, if your comment doesn’t further a conversation (I.e. quoting a bad comment with”lol”) just don’t comment, and the report button is your friend.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#6 » by the_process » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:

My main issue with CJ is that it ties a significant chunk of the cap into two of the worst max level salaries (Harris/CJ). Being able to turn around and flip CJ if a Beal type becomes available is a lot harder too than either taking a pick/youngster heavy package and waiting for that star to become available.

On the flip side of that argument it could mean punting on a year of prime Embiid which isn’t ideal. And that is part of what makes the Simmons trade tough without a star being on the market.

Punting a year is far better than locking into CJ and Harris as your 2nd and 3rd best players.

Just trade Embiid now and start over if the only other option is CJ.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,797

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:54 pm

the_process wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

Punting a year is far better than locking into CJ and Harris as your 2nd and 3rd best players.

I see CJ as a bad option and an L for us—too old, too expensive, too dependent on long jumpers, the injuries are a thing—but I’m also not sure what else folks think might be walking through the door. Yeah it sucks to pay maxes to guys who aren’t as good as other max players but what’s the proposed path to getting better max guys in the next couple years? For a badly capped out team? Even if we trade Simmons for expirings we don’t have cap space anytime soon, and don’t have trade assets likely to bring back a top 20 guy.

I’d also point to Middleton and Jrue as similar players whom everyone hated as contracts until they played well at the right time. Embiid is our guy and he needs to be huge for us to win, the other guys have to be good versions of themselves at the right moments. And in any case I don’t see a better path to maximizing our chances, though I’m down to let Morey keep looking for one.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,887

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
the_process wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

I see CJ as a bad option and an L for us—too old, too expensive, too dependent on long jumpers, the injuries are a thing—but I’m also not sure what else folks think might be walking through the door. Yeah it sucks to pay maxes to guys who aren’t as good as other max players but what’s the proposed path to getting better max guys in the next couple years? For a badly capped out team? Even if we trade Simmons for expirings we don’t have cap space anytime soon, and don’t have trade assets likely to bring back a top 20 guy.

I’d also point to Middleton and Jrue as similar players whom everyone hated as contracts until they played well at the right time. Embiid is our guy and he needs to be huge for us to win, the other guys have to be good versions of themselves at the right moments. And in any case I don’t see a better path to maximizing our chances, though I’m down to let Morey keep looking for one.

I agree CJ is overpaid, and that he needs to tone down the contested long jumpers. But his age should matter little. At least on offense his game is set to age tremendously well.

I am biased, but I dont see a better win-now type option than CJ + picks for Simmons. MIN can offer a rebuild package, but do you want to wait when Joel may have a shorter-than-average prime? I dont see SAC moving Fox (And even then, I dont agree he is a better closer than CJ). I dont see TOR being interested in a Pascal swap. And after that I dont see many other options.

I think the idea of PHI going into the season with Simmons is at about 25%, and even then its a poor idea bc IMO the bargaining power of PHI declines a fraction each game he sits out. And I think he is the type of crybaby to actually sit out games.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:25 pm

HotelVitale wrote:I’d also point to Middleton and Jrue as similar players whom everyone hated as contracts.

I don't think that's actually true. Some people did, but a lot of people did not. And speaking only for me, I've never thought of CJ as being on the level of either of these players particularly Middleton.

I think if you traded Simmons and in a different world where Giannis hadn't extended and the Bucks lost in round 1 and he signed with Toronto or something and you ended up with Middleton as the centerpiece I think most people would be like this is a really nice salvage. Jrue, probably not. Not dynamic enough offensively and also older and even more expensive than CJ.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,289

Post#10 » by Bornstellar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:42 pm

Simmons for McCollum makes so much sense and is fair value for both teams which is exactly why it probably won't happen :lol:
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#11 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:46 pm

The previous thread ben for cj was a bad trade and i want to know why.
Cj can score and ben is known for his defense and rebounding, Both teams what the others have.
If ben were on the blazers the blazers perimeter defense would not get blown up as they do now. The nuggets were having fields days last playoff series they were in. This trade is peak trade value for the 76ers they will never get top tier star for ben simmions. 76ers fans must realize that by now. If they could get CJ for ben the 76ers would do it in a second.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:50 pm

the_process wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

punting is not option they want to win now . When embiid leaves your looking a new process all over again. Embiid has 3-4 prime years left he will force his way out if management decides to go cheap on him
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#13 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm

Bornstellar wrote:Simmons for McCollum makes so much sense and is fair value for both teams which is exactly why it probably won't happen :lol:

i know it makes too much basketball sense! :lol: The 76ers are going waste a embiid year . That might as well buyout danny green :D
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#14 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:

They cant punt joel only getting older and if he feels the 76ERS management are giving up on him he will demand a trade to. CJ is the higest value the 76ers can get. My other trade deal was bagely and buddy which helps with scoring and if bagely just might be ok under winning team with Doc Rivers. Scoring was late was the 76ers issue, the hawks ran them out the building one game. Ben wants to go CA send him there. Absolute bottom value would be Bledsoe and Morris but that's a last ditch effort when the team is struggling without ben. Conclusion you cant waste another prime year joel he was on verge of mvp before getting hurt which is another thing factor in, if he gets hurt then what? Tobias is alone.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,797

Post#15 » by HotelVitale » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Bornstellar wrote:Simmons for McCollum makes so much sense and is fair value for both teams which is exactly why it probably won't happen :lol:

CJ is 30 next week while Ben just turned 25, he's had one season shooting at or above league average efficiency, he's an undersized bad defending combo guard who's not effective if his jumper isn't wet. I know that he's also a great shooter with some big skills at getting shots for himself, and he's worked hard to get more into the kore efficient 3s-and-lay-ups game--but the problem still remains that he's an aging shooter who doesn't really solve the Sixers' main problem (a closer who can score and draw fouls against great defenses) and he opens up new ones with his size, defense, and lack of true PG skills.

Not saying that means it's a joke of an offer but there are major reasons why it doens't make sense and doesn't seem like good value.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#16 » by BullyKing » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:15 pm

Ballerhogger wrote: 76ers fans must realize that by now. If they could get CJ for ben the 76ers would do it in a second.

Yep, totally. Sixers just simply don't have the assets to bridge the gap between Simmons and McCollum. If they didn't owe their 2025 1st, they could do four 1sts and 3 swaps with Simmons for McCollum and that MIGHT be enough but they don't so it's all for naught.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#17 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:16 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote: 76ers fans must realize that by now. If they could get CJ for ben the 76ers would do it in a second.

Yep, totally. Sixers just simply don't have the assets to bridge the gap between Simmons and McCollum. If they didn't owe their 2025 1st, they could do four 1sts and 3 swaps with Simmons for McCollum and that MIGHT be enough but they don't so it's all for naught.

As the season goes on blazers defense gets blown up and billups realizes they need defense around the perimeter. i think you could get away with it . Remember they brought Billups in for defense.

Realistically Sac, LAC are the probably the best targets.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#18 » by BullyKing » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:19 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

As the season goes on blazers defense gets blown up and billups realizes they need defense around the perimeter. i think you could get away with it . Remember they brought Billups in for defense.

So what do you think? Something like Simmons, Thybulle, two firsts and two swaps for McCollum?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#19 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:20 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

CJ is 30 next week while Ben just turned 25, he's had one season shooting at or above league average efficiency, he's an undersized bad defending combo guard who's not effective if his jumper isn't wet. I know that he's also a great shooter with some big skills at getting shots for himself, and he's worked hard to get more into the kore efficient 3s-and-lay-ups game--but the problem still remains that he's an aging shooter who doesn't really solve the Sixers' main problem (a closer who can score and draw fouls against great defenses) and he opens up new ones with his size, defense, and lack of true PG skills.

Not saying that means it's a joke of an offer but there are major reasons why it doens't make sense and doesn't seem like good value.

what does the age matter when you have 3 year window to win? Its not like the 76ers are lottery team right now.. CJ is great shoot solves all their offense woes. They went scoreless for 10 minutes against us last year and we almost came back and won had it not be for tobias 2 point shot.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#20 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:21 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

So what do you think? Something like Simmons, Thybulle, two firsts and two swaps for McCollum?

Yes that would be good offer i know losing thybulle will suck but you trying win playoffs you got a bunch of teams in the top 4 that score 110+ so i think it has to be done. Hawks arent getting worst, nets, bucks, . In order keep up with the scoring yes you do trade like that .

Return to Trades and Transactions