ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Re: Official Celtics 2021-22 Off-Season Thread 

Post#1381 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:21 am

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#1382 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Sep 9, 2021 3:25 am

playa-hater wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:I am really loving the roster construction right now.

Guards: Nesmith/???????/Langford
S. Forwards: Brown/Richardson/GrantW
P. Forwards: Tatum/Hernangomez/Parker
Center: Timelord/Horford/Kanter/Bruno

We can use a 3rd guard now
(assuming that Grant can indeed play Small Forward and assuming Langford is capable of being the backup guard.)

we are at least 2 deep at every position, I think.. what Boston needs to grab the most talented young player at any position (preferable forward though) "cut" during training camp and develop him for insurance down the road.

Getting too caught up in the difference between SG and SF in today's NBA with multipositional flexibility is as useless an exercise as shouting at the rain. That said, for the purposes of this one, Richardson is more wing or SG than swing or forward. But he does have the wingspan to play longer. I think Grant is more 4 than 3. But the great thing about the SWING position is that we have a number of guys who can fit in in a pinch and defend traditional 3's and traditional 4's. What we need is TALENT the positions will work themselves out when we have enough of it. And maybe we do right now and maybe we don't.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,491

Post#1383 » by playa-hater » Thu Sep 9, 2021 3:47 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

(assuming that Grant can indeed play Small Forward and assuming Langford is capable of being the backup guard.)

we are at least 2 deep at every position, I think.. what Boston needs to grab the most talented young player at any position (preferable forward though) "cut" during training camp and develop him for insurance down the road.

Getting too caught up in the difference between SG and SF in today's NBA with multipositional flexibility is as useless an exercise as shouting at the rain. That said, for the purposes of this one, Richardson is more wing or SG than swing or forward. But he does have the wingspan to play longer. I think Grant is more 4 than 3. But the great thing about the SWING position is that we have a number of guys who can fit in in a pinch and defend traditional 3's and traditional 4's. What we need is TALENT the positions will work themselves out when we have enough of it. And maybe we do right now and maybe we don't.

I kind of thought I said that, but regardless I agree.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1384 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Sep 9, 2021 6:38 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Yeah I mean Brad has spoken to this over and over - he's got like 3 sets of players - ballhandlers, wings, and bigs. Sometimes there's hybrids (ie, Smart can be a ballhandler or a wing, Grant can be a big or a wing) but by and large they fit those archetypes.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#1385 » by snowman » Thu Sep 9, 2021 6:49 pm

playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

I 100% agree with both of you. I do think we need at least one of the last two camp invites to be a wing (between 6'6 and 6'8) that can play SF. Grant is definitely NOT a SF, so the only guys we have there are Brown, Nesmith and Richardson, and two of them will start. Tatum may have some minutes there but he is best at the PF slot going against the slow footed big's that most team trot out there.

I really see our lineup being:
1st team: Smart, Richardson, Brown, Tatum and Horford ( I have been recruited into the Horford starts team, but could be swing back to Timelord easily)
2nd team: Schroder, Pritchard, Nesmith, Hernangomez, Williams
3rd team: Langford, G. Will, Parker, Fernando, Kanter
2-way: Hauser, ( ??????)
I see Kornet and Morgan going to Maine, but I would really like to see Morgan replace Parker and a SG/SF replace Grant.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#1386 » by Hal14 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Didn't know which thread to put this in. Maybe we should have a thread just dedicated to discussion about former Celtics players?

But I saw this on my twitter feed and immediately got the chills. This tweet is by KC Jones' daughter. R.I.P. KC.

Read on Twitter

Man, what I would give to just sit around talking about basketball and life with some of the Celtics greats like Bill, Tiny, Bird, Mchale, Cousy and when they were alive guys like KC, Tommy, Hondo, etc.

Only one I've met in person was Parish. I saw him walking down the street in Boston with a woman a couple yrs ago. At first he pretended it wasn't him, lol cause I guess he isn't big on interacting with fans, doing autographs and stuff. But after he initially tried saying it wasn't him, he did smile and take a pic with me.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#1387 » by darrendaye » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Hal14 wrote:Didn't know which thread to put this in. Maybe we should have a thread just dedicated to discussion about former Celtics players?

But I saw this on my twitter feed and immediately got the chills. This tweet is by KC Jones' daughter. R.I.P. KC.

Read on Twitter

Man, what I would give to just sit around talking about basketball and life with some of the Celtics greats like Bill, Tiny, Bird, Mchale, Cousy and when they were alive guys like KC, Tommy, Hondo, etc.

Only one I've met in person was Parish. At first he pretended it wasn't him, lol cause I guess he isn't big on interacting with fans, doing autographs and stuff. But after he initially tried saying it wasn't him, he did smile and take a pic with me.

If you were carrying an oz of weed, he would have been friendlier. :wink:
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,685

Post#1388 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1389 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:55 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,070

Post#1390 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:36 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Roses when you're alive. Congrats Mike! :clap: :clap: :clap:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,537

Post#1391 » by bisme37 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#1392 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:48 pm

playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

I know you did. I'm late getting back to this but I realize now that I probably should've directly replied to Larry Russell on that one instead of using your reply. I knew you agreed.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,685

Post#1393 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,070

Post#1394 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:39 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That kid's team is trash, he needs someone to get and destroy the tape in case he makes it to the nba one day! :( :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#1395 » by Fierce1 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1396 » by playa-hater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:42 am

highlights can be deceiving, but a 6'7 shooter is OK by me.

[img][/img]
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#1397 » by Hal14 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:52 am

playa-hater wrote:highlights can be deceiving, but a 6'7 shooter is OK by me.

[img][/img]

Highlights can be deceiving but the numbers don't lie and the numbers they show in that video are impressive.

45.5% from 3. 82,7% FT, 48.8% on 2 pointers. Usage % of 21% which is not too high which tells you he's a good off-ball player who doesn't demand the ball in his hands all the time - a must for our team with 2 ball dominant scorers. And an offensive rating that is much higher than defensive rating. All good indicators.

This could be a good pickup to help shore up the bench.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1398 » by Bohemian » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm

I wonder if Brad is up to a small move once the Juancho deal is official tomorrow.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1399 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1400 » by playa-hater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:highlights can be deceiving, but a 6'7 shooter is OK by me.

[img][/img]

Highlights can be deceiving but the numbers don't lie and the numbers they show in that video are impressive.

45.5% from 3. 82,7% FT, 48.8% on 2 pointers. Usage % of 21% which is not too high which tells you he's a good off-ball player who doesn't demand the ball in his hands all the time - a must for our team with 2 ball dominant scorers. And an offensive rating that is much higher than defensive rating. All good indicators.

This could be a good pickup to help shore up the bench.

his NBA numbers are quite low. Probably less than 30%. But there are many factors that can go into that. Inconsistent and sporadic playing time can cause low%.. Less Competition level overseas can cause a spike. Flip side is increased work and seasoning/experience can increase numbers as well. Looking at Gerald Green for that one.

Either way my eyes say he has a nice looking shooting stroke and at the very least should be looked at very closely by Boston come training camp. I definitely like him as a shooter more than Morgan..

Return to Boston Celtics