ImageImageImageImageImage

Tumbling

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 848

Re: Tumbling 

Post#21 » by DevinVassell » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:33 am

Yes mate, that's Hamnoy.... scenically beautiful but a harsh place to live I'd say. Viking territory.

Anyone with English/Irish/Scottish ancestry likely has some of their invader blood running through their veins. Bastards probably raped my great great great great grandmother... or maybe she raped them. Can't say, I didn't know her.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#22 » by Senchu » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:54 am

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#23 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:20 pm

DevinVassell wrote:GSWF, I was going to say Bolivia (honestly) but went with Peru. My detective skills are slipping.

Scoot, your father caught a train all the way from Bolivia to the US as a 17yo? Did he know anyone where he was going? Sounds like a fascinating story.

He didn't know anyone. His plan was to get into the US, get to Austin, and get enrolled at UT. This was 1950. When he got to the border he told them what he planned to do and the border agents told him to come back within 3 months with proof of enrollment and they'd give him a green card. He didn't speak english but figured he could get by taking math classes. UT accepted him. He got his green card. He lived in a community house with other spanish speakers, but he realized he wasn't learning english fast that way so he moved into an english speaking dorm on campus. That year at a Longhorns game he asked a girl in a tight dress for a date, married her, and had 6 kids the last of them was me.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:47 pm

DevinVassell wrote:Yes mate, that's Hamnoy.... scenically beautiful but a harsh place to live I'd say. Viking territory.

Anyone with English/Irish/Scottish ancestry likely has some of their invader blood running through their veins. Bastards probably raped my great great great great grandmother... or maybe she raped them. Can't say, I didn't know her.

This brings up more of my family history. My great great great great great grandfather watched most of his clan get slaughtered in a battle in the Scottish highlands, decided he'd seen enough, got on a boat for wherever. When they hit land he walked inland until he found some mountains, kept climbing until he was near the top of the Andes mountains. My fathers first and middle name are VERY hispanic, but his (and my) last name is VERY scottish (my clan chief has a castle).

I'm a big time mutt.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,273

Post#25 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:32 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:He didn't know anyone. His plan was to get into the US, get to Austin, and get enrolled at UT. This was 1950. When he got to the border he told them what he planned to do and the border agents told him to come back within 3 months with proof of enrollment and they'd give him a green card. He didn't speak english but figured he could get by taking math classes. UT accepted him. He got his green card. He lived in a community house with other spanish speakers, but he realized he wasn't learning english fast that way so he moved into an english speaking dorm on campus. That year at a Longhorns game he asked a girl in a tight dress for a date, married her, and had 6 kids the last of them was me.

That's a success story right there. Congrats.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:08 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:He didn't know anyone. His plan was to get into the US, get to Austin, and get enrolled at UT. This was 1950. When he got to the border he told them what he planned to do and the border agents told him to come back within 3 months with proof of enrollment and they'd give him a green card. He didn't speak english but figured he could get by taking math classes. UT accepted him. He got his green card. He lived in a community house with other spanish speakers, but he realized he wasn't learning english fast that way so he moved into an english speaking dorm on campus. That year at a Longhorns game he asked a girl in a tight dress for a date, married her, and had 6 kids the last of them was me.

That's a success story right there. Congrats.

He retired a VP for General Electric. I'm proud and kind of amazed by what he did.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#27 » by shazam_guy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:10 pm

Most of us are mutts of some kind or another. And as any animal-lover knows, mongrels are usually the healthiest and most resilient of the species.

Scoots, nice family history. Some of my predominantly cold-parts-of-Europe ancestors -- Celts, Vikings, Teutons, all from well outside the boundaries of civilization and even rudimentary plumbing -- may have been with your ancestor in Scotland, unless they were busy being raped elsewhere by Devin Vassell's insatiable great-great-great-granny.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by DevinVassell » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:50 am

I suggest you read my posts more carefully shazam before lumping all my viking relatives in the one boat. There was no mention of my great great great grandmother, whom was probably a totally different person from her mother....
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by shazam_guy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:12 am

Sorry, DV, I was thinking of my OWN great-great-great grandmother, who famously took on the entire Norwegian navy in a single night. They still have a festival in Oslo every year where a wicker replica of her corset is burned in effigy.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by DevinVassell » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 pm

No offense taken. I seem to remember something about corset burning and rumor has it some of those Norwegian navy boys had more eyes than teeth and were therefore especially good kissers. I'm guessing both our great great great grandma's were probably drinking buddies.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by DevinVassell » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:15 pm

18 days to go...

hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#32 » by hamncheese » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:31 pm

12 days to training camp.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#33 » by whocurrz » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:22 am

DevinVassell wrote:18 days to go...

Looks like Halong Bay in Vietnam. Very beautiful place I went on a 2 day cruise with the wife almost 3 years ago exactly and loved it. Could also be Thailand somewhere off the Western coast where there’s a lot of similar islands. Halong Bay had lots of those small cruise boats so I’ll go with that
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,159

Post#34 » by watch1958 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 am

whocurrz wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:18 days to go...

Looks like Halong Bay in Vietnam. Very beautiful place I went on a 2 day cruise with the wife almost 3 years ago exactly and loved it. Could also be Thailand somewhere off the Western coast where there’s a lot of similar islands. Halong Bay had lots of those small cruise boats so I’ll go with that
James Wiseman could end up like Halong Bay.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by DevinVassell » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:13 am

^There's actually a fair few places that look like this in the world but yep your right... Halong Bay. Never been myself but have been to El Nido, Philippines which is also like this but has kickarse beaches too.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by shazam_guy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:10 pm

Other than Oz and NZ, I've never been much in that part of the world except for Singapore (several times) and airport stopovers. I'm hoping to remedy that one day. So much Asia unseen by me.

Return to Golden State Warriors