Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize money

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#81 » by old skool » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:49 pm

Pharenheit wrote: NBA is going full on spectacle mode with every move that’s been made by Silver

Not EVERY move.

Spreading out the RS to reduce back to backs.

Reducing team travel.

Adding 2-way contracts.

Expanding rosters.

RS games in Europe.

Forcing teams/cities to get new arenas or face relocation.

Reducing/shortening end of game timeouts.

Getting every team to have a G-league affiliate.

Expanding the All-Star break.

Putting Summer League games on TV.

Switching to the Wilson ball.

14 second shot clock when a team retains possession with an offensive rebound.

Putting more games on national TV.

Expanding the type of investment groups that can own a part (30% ?) of an NBA franchise.

Moving photographers away from the basket to lessen the risk of player injury.

Changing the rules on fouls to discourage rip throughs and flopping.

Giving 3-point shooters room to land.

G-League Ignite development team.

Some of these might pre-date Silver and some might be unpopular, but I don't think they necessarily add to the "spectacle ".

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,598

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#82 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:10 pm

old skool wrote:
Pharenheit wrote: NBA is going full on spectacle mode with every move that’s been made by Silver

Not EVERY move.

Spreading out the RS to reduce back to backs.

Reducing team travel.

Adding 2-way contracts.

Expanding rosters.

RS games in Europe.

Forcing teams/cities to get new arenas or face relocation.

Reducing/shortening end of game timeouts.

Getting every team to have a G-league affiliate.

Expanding the All-Star break.

Putting Summer League games on TV.

Switching to the Wilson ball.

14 second shot clock when a team retains possession with an offensive rebound.

Putting more games on national TV.

Expanding the type of investment groups that can own a part (30% ?) of an NBA franchise.

Moving photographers away from the basket to lessen the risk of player injury.

Changing the rules on fouls to discourage rip throughs and flopping.

Giving 3-point shooters room to land.

G-League Ignite development team.

Some of these might pre-date Silver and some might be unpopular, but I don't think they necessarily add to the "spectacle ".

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Well if you want to get technical about it..

Every major move to alter the game has been made under his reign
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,210

Post#83 » by SNPA » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:42 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:All you new thing haters still licking your wounds from the play-in being a pretty fun end to the season.

As NBA fans we just love having stuff to talk about and basketball to watch. I don't really see why this proposed tournament will not tick those boxes for us. Even if for some of us "having stuff to talk about" means bashing just for bashing's sake. Some posters here have genuine curiosity of how it will work and are providing reasonable concerns, but I'm convinced some posters here are just "new stuff bad!" types.

This is about gambling money. That’s why Silver wants it, it’s part of his overall strategy to capture gambling as the next new big revenue stream.

Here’s the catch though, it means nothing to players or fans. It will rank slightly ahead of a summer league title. There will be no parades or rings or legacy boost or bragging rights. It’s dumb and just a money grab.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#84 » by Cookin Baskets » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:44 pm

This is already a bad idea. Point blank. The play in for the playoffs spots are great because they have implications for the regular season/playoffs. I don't think a play in tournament that is completely irrelevant to the regular season or the playoffs is a good idea.

Do they also plan on reducing the number of games in the regular season if they were to implement an in-season tournament? They better because it would lead to more injuries and tired players when it actually matters. The result of that would be a less enjoyable season for fans.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,037

Post#85 » by Laimbeer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:01 pm

I can't see the million bucks per player being much incentive for a team deciding how hard they want to go. If you're the Lakers most everyone that matters will be "hurt".

And it could cause some resentment as minimum players see stars not giving a hoot if they pocket the $1M.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#86 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:04 pm

I think the league will benefit from more high stakes games. The allstar game has become a bust, I believe it mattered a bit more 20 years ago. Reduce/spread the regular season more, introduce in-season tournament, get rid of all star weekend (They probably keep it, but I won't watch). I like it.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,197

Post#87 » by rapstarter » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Should make it the equivalent of the FA Cup. Invite amateurs and semi-pros at earlier rounds, and have the best teams face the NBA teams in the later rounds. I would definitely watch the best NCAA teams get destroyed by the worst NBA teams.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,609

Post#88 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 pm

If this actually worked, the final outcome would be minimum signed players going with the top teams (or teams that care to compete in it) even more. Gravitating even more to teams at the top. It would mean unsigned rookies deciding on the top teir teams even more intead of where they can improve. it's already out of wack and out of balance.

Even the idea of this is an anti-parity idea and its just stupid.
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,331

Post#89 » by alebaba » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:12 pm

This is stupid, whats the meaning of the playoff?
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,800

Post#90 » by nikster » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:15 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I can't see the million bucks per player being much incentive for a team deciding how hard they want to go. If you're the Lakers most everyone that matters will be "hurt".

And it could cause some resentment as minimum players see stars not giving a hoot if they pocket the $1M.

a million dollars would be huge for like 80% of the roster. There may be 1-3 players where that kind of money isnt a big deal but 1) its still a million dollars (and that adds up if you compete year after year) and 2) they want to make the rest of their roster happy. If they are reducing regular season games to add this I dont see how it increases concern of injury risk or rest for the stars.

I think Lakers and Nets would be the only teams who would have stars who would consider sitting this out
wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,936

Post#92 » by wegotthabeet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:20 pm

If they want to add gimmicky tournaments like this then they should just reduce the regular season to one game a week and copy the NFL model of playing on Sundays. 24 weeks = 24 games
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#93 » by King4Day » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:20 pm

The Play in is a fantastic idea. More teams with a chance to sneak in. None of those will really have a chance at a title anyway. Worst case, they can always just make the play-in for the 8th seed. Makes the league more exciting none-the-less.

As for this in-season tourney, good luck finding contenders who will allow their stars, or important role players, to play in it.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,449

Post#94 » by PD28 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:26 pm

I'd love to see how this goes. I think teams with older stars are upset at the idea but teams with up and comers will see some of the best basketball for the year. The only way to make contenders care is to give them some sort of advantage come playoff time.
Teal25
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#95 » by Teal25 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:29 pm

I don’t think the NBA realizes that this won’t attract the players they want. The inflated contracts that give someone averaging 7/5 getting $10 million a year these days, 1 million is chump change to them. Maybe KD who loves to hoop.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#96 » by Da ThRONe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:32 pm

Dumb idea. The NBA has too much meaningless product as is. Should be reducing games not adding games that are sure to be even less meaningful than regular season games. This will be a glorified Summer League.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#97 » by LakersLegacy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:37 pm

If it’s not East v West throughout then why do it. And doesn’t it make the championship watered down. It’s like having 2 play-offs per season. One best of 7, one March madness style
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,349

Post#98 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:38 pm

I don't even like the play-in despite us having had a shot at the playoffs with it. What is the point of working all season if you can lose in a one-and-done? The second a high ranking team loses to a small market team it'll be done away with. But you can at least argue for the competition side of it.

I don't see the point of this mid-season tournament. Nor do I agree with the regular season is pointless argument. Just because some players can't do the grind, or don't feel like it or whatever, doesn't mean it's not beneficial to the fans getting to see their favourite teams or players, to the players themselves through which they generate revenue, and for the league for exposure.

Most of the players aren't top earners. Star players would only sit these out and they're the main draw for many so what's the point?

It doesn't seem to determine seeding.

What if a player gets injured in a non-factor gimmick tournament?

Wouldn't it be better to give extra financial incentives in making it to the playoffs? And then increase it in each subsequent round per player. That's a double incentive for competition and the bank if the league is trying the financial incentive route.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,671

Post#99 » by Nate505 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 pm

I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. I only want this in-season tournament if the teams just go balls to the walls all out if they win it. Rush the court, hoist the trophy, pour champagne in the locker room, have cigars, get big ass gaudy expensive as **** rings made for the players, have a parade in the city, etc.

Return to The General Board