Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize money

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#101 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:50 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:All you new thing haters still licking your wounds from the play-in being a pretty fun end to the season.

As NBA fans we just love having stuff to talk about and basketball to watch. I don't really see why this proposed tournament will not tick those boxes for us. Even if for some of us "having stuff to talk about" means bashing just for bashing's sake. Some posters here have genuine curiosity of how it will work and are providing reasonable concerns, but I'm convinced some posters here are just "new stuff bad!" types.

i think people still acting like the play-in was a good idea just because of a rando one-off game we got of LeBron vs. Steph are going to be pretty disappointed moving forward in aggregate.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,855

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#102 » by Memories » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
ChantMVP wrote:This is a great idea. Having only one trophy in an entire calendar year means outside of the playoffs the rest of the time is bland. I'm sure many like me start to lose interest in the reg. season after the all star break.

On top of that, literally 29/30 teams end the season with absolutely nothing to show for it. Why not give some more opportunities for teams to have success.

As for the wear & tear concern, as others have mentioned im sure they will add a break in there. But they should also consider counting these games as reg season games to keep the same # total.

The same people hating now will probably be loving the spectacle when it comes, just like that Lakers vs Warriors play in that came down to a 35 ft triple by LeBron.

People don't like change, even if it's for the better.

no -- people want change...

1) fix the officiating
2) allow defenses to defend
3) slim down the RS
4) limit the amount of teams that make the POs
5) playoff reseedings
6) remove conferences

etc. etc.

people don't mind changes, and even advocate for changes that actively make the game better?

this isn't that...this is a fkn gimmick to distract from the **** show the RS has turned into...and this will only make the RS even more **** irrelevant. if that's the intention, by all means just scrap the RS all together or turn it into a 5 month long preseason which is what it already is pretty much at this point.

Pretty much this.

We want actual good changes, not this crap that is made up to further satisfy the greed of NBA Owners.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,425

Post#103 » by Myth » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 pm

So as a fan, what is the importance of this tournament?
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,255

Post#105 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:32 pm

SNPA wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:All you new thing haters still licking your wounds from the play-in being a pretty fun end to the season.

As NBA fans we just love having stuff to talk about and basketball to watch. I don't really see why this proposed tournament will not tick those boxes for us. Even if for some of us "having stuff to talk about" means bashing just for bashing's sake. Some posters here have genuine curiosity of how it will work and are providing reasonable concerns, but I'm convinced some posters here are just "new stuff bad!" types.

This is about gambling money. That’s why Silver wants it, it’s part of his overall strategy to capture gambling as the next new big revenue stream.

Here’s the catch though, it means nothing to players or fans. It will rank slightly ahead of a summer league title. There will be no parades or rings or legacy boost or bragging rights. It’s dumb and just a money grab.

I generally expect the NBA to make money-driven moves, regardless of how I feel about that.

I still think, if it happens, we'll talk about it and watch it. It will still be competitive basketball. I think narratives will emerge that star players (who don't care about the million) are trying to win it for their minimum contract teammates who stand to increase their salary by 30-100%. If I was coming up with a new gimmick for the NBA schedule, this wouldn't be it. I'm not specifically a fan of this move. I do think the NBA doing more stuff just gives us more stuff to follow and talk about, and we're a ravenous fan base for content, basketball and storylines. I don't mind the NBA trying things out, and I'm generally not a fan of the standard 82 game season once it hits the doldrums. I still watch but I feel like an addict sometime, so any increased meaning to the games is a plus for me lol.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#106 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:

i think people still acting like the play-in was a good idea just because of a rando one-off game we got of LeBron vs. Steph are going to be pretty disappointed moving forward in aggregate.

Some people are acting like if the play-in wasn't established for decades people wouldn't be excited for it every year.

I mean you're talking like this was the absolute best case scenario, when luck was against the play-ins. It's not good luck that most of the games were blow outs, and I would say that the chances of every single game being a blow out every year seems rather low.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#107 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:36 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Some people are acting like if the play-in wasn't established for decades people wouldn't be excited for it every year.

no one is excited for a team that was **** all year getting into a playoffs because they got hot 1 night.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,255

Post#108 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Dubs vs. Lakers was obviously a godsend for the reputation of the play-in, and probably obscures whether the play-in is good or not. I enjoyed the bubble play-in as well (but again, that's a really specific situation). But I still think the play in is a strong idea for the really basic reasons: it adds a reason to take interest in the NBA basketball in a spot where there was too often very little intrigue. I actually do expect the Western Conference to have an interesting play-in tournament more often than not. So often the 8th seed (if it's close) by higher-seeded teams resting starters to intentionally lose to get the right matchup. The status quo for the end of the season is usually boring. This guarantees late-season intrigue every season. I don't really understand the argument against it. Screwing a 7 or 8 seed under the old system? I don't think the 7 or 8 seed is that precious, they're usually first-round cannon-fodder anyways, or sometimes injured teams that fell in the standings are are dead ducks in the playoffs anyways.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#109 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

no one is excited for a team that was **** all year getting into a playoffs because they got hot 1 night.

you need to lose two games to get eliminated from the play-in, which is no different from how the playoffs used to work. And you're just being salty cause it was your team that got eliminated lol.

Like the lower seed teams playing games against other teams of comparable strength is a no brainer as a showcase . That is obviously more entertaining than them just going straight to play the 1st and 2nd seed.... the play-in isn't going anywhere because it's common sense.

You're also ignoring that there are always going to be at least a couple of stars in those slots or big time prospects. James vs Curry doesn't need to happen, Zion vs Luka works just fine...
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,634

Post#110 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Nate505 wrote:I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. I only want this in-season tournament if the teams just go balls to the walls all out if they win it. Rush the court, hoist the trophy, pour champagne in the locker room, have cigars, get big ass gaudy expensive as **** rings made for the players, have a parade in the city, etc.

Then why don't they go full modern TV (where a season is now 8 episodes) and have two or three seasons a year that are short. It fully dillutes a championship but I can see that over an "in season tournament".
clyde21
RealGM

Post#111 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:41 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Uh..you need to lose two games to get eliminated from the play-in, which is no different from how the playoffs used to work. And you're just being salty cause it was your team that got eliminated lol.

Like the lower seed teams playing games against other teams of comparable strength is a no brainer as a showcase . That is obviously more entertaining than them just going straight to play the 1st and 2nd seed.... the play-in isn't going anywhere because it's common sense.

salty about what? the Warriors were 9th in the standings, if anything I would be happy that the play-in gave us a chance for the POs.

and you said it exactly right -- it's essentially an expanded playoffs, which is dumb af as it continuously waters down the RS, which is what it exactly did and will continue to do more so in the future each passing season.

you know what's gonna be a disaster? when crappy 10 seeds start making the playoffs only to get trounced by 1 seeds 4-0 every single time. yea, I'm sure that's gonna be real fun and competitive.
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#112 » by HEAT33 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:47 pm

Mid tournament should be a one on one knockout.
I would love to see who is the best one on one player
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
normgod6
Junior
And1: 767

Post#113 » by normgod6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

speak for yourself. I was excited to watch the games because single game elimination games are inherently fun to watch. And its not like the 7th and 8th seeds not make the playoffs will ruin the integrity of the sport in anyway considering they are never considered real championship contenders

Sent from my SM-A530W using RealGM mobile app
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#114 » by WarriorGM » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:50 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

you need to lose two games to get eliminated from the play-in, which is no different from how the playoffs used to work. And you're just being salty cause it was your team that got eliminated lol.

You're also ignoring that there are always going to be at least a couple of stars in those slots or big time prospects. James vs Curry doesn't need to happen, Zion vs Luka works just fine...

They are extra games that dilute the value of the regular season and complicate historical comparisons. Just look at what happened with the Warriors last year. They beat the Grizzlies in the last game of the season to get the higher seed in the play-in—which gave them a game against the previous year's champion. The Grizzlies on the other hand got to play a lower seed. Then the Grizzlies and Warriors meet up again and the Grizzlies win and advance to the playoffs proper. That setup was ridiculous. The Grizzlies and Warriors were basically tied 1-1 but the Grizzlies advance by beating a lower seeded opponent. That last game of the regular season was robbed of value and if anything it was probably advantageous to lose.

There have always been exciting finishes to the regular season with teams scrambling to win those last games to make the playoffs. The play-in was never necessary. It's just another marketing gimmick like segmenting seats on an airplane into economy, business and first class. Great for the company which gets to create a lot of value for itself by shuffling around.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#115 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:53 pm

normgod6 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

speak for yourself. I was excited to watch the games because single game elimination games are inherently fun to watch. And its not like the 7th and 8th seeds not make the playoffs will ruin the integrity of the sport in anyway considering they are never considered real championship contenders

then make the entire playoffs single game elimination, but single game elimination that allows 9 and 10 seeds to get into the POs only to get romped by 1 seeds in a 7-game series immediately after are nonsensical, and it does absolutely nothing but 1) water down R1 in the playoffs and 2) devalue a RS that's already been devalued to the point where it doesn't even matter to players anymore.

and now, to top of it, you wanna add a mid-season tourney? might as well just remove the RS altogether at that point.
normgod6
Junior
And1: 767

Post#116 » by normgod6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:55 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Uh..you need to lose two games to get eliminated from the play-in, which is no different from how the playoffs used to work. And you're just being salty cause it was your team that got eliminated lol.

salty about what? the Warriors were 9th in the standings, if anything I would be happy that the play-in gave us a chance for the POs.

and you said it exactly right -- it's essentially an expanded playoffs, which is dumb af as it continuously waters down the RS, which is what it exactly did and will continue to do more so in the future each passing season.

you know what's gonna be a disaster? when crappy 10 seeds start making the playoffs only to get trounced by 1 seeds 4-0 every single time. yea, I'm sure that's gonna be real fun and competitive.
so exactly like the 1st seed trouncing the 8th seed before the playins? and if anything this can make the regular season more valuable as it becomes even more important to get a top 6 seed and guarantee a playoff spot. it allows more teams to play for something as there are now 4 distinct tiers related to your seeding. The top 4 seeds get home court, top 6 get a guaranteed playoff spot, 7/8 needs 1 win for a playoff spot and 9/10 needs 2. This makes the regular season more relevant to more teams as teams can jockey for material and tangible benefits depending on what tier they land on.

grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#117 » by grindtime22 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:

That isn't how it went down. Warriors were 8th. The initial play-in game was great for the league. The Warriors losing game 2 was a mini-disaster for the league.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#118 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:08 pm

normgod6 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

so exactly like the 1st seed trouncing the 8th seed before the playins? and if anything this can make the regular season more valuable as it becomes even more important to get a top 6 seed and guarantee a playoff spot. it allows more teams to play for something as there are now 4 distinct tiers related to your seeding. The top 4 seeds get home court, top 6 get a guaranteed playoff spot, 7/8 needs 1 win for a playoff spot and 9/10 needs 2. This makes the regular season more relevant to more teams as teams can jockey for material and tangible benefits depending on what tier they land on.

just completely illogical -- adding MORE playoff teams (which is what the play-in essentially is) does not make the RS more valuable, it actually has the opposite effect because there are more chances for teams now to make the playoffs. you don't add value to the regular season by making it easier for teams to make the playoffs, you have to do the opposite.

and yes, 1 seeds typically **** on 8 seeds before the play-ins...and it's just gonna get even worse when you start talking about 9th or 10th seeds getting into the 8th hole because they lucked out a game or two at the end of a season in which they were terrible. congratulations, can't wait to watch all this competitiveness. :lol:
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,904

Post#119 » by BigGargamel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:09 pm

The playoff play in tournament is unnecessary. Half the league already makes the playoffs. But more games = more money
This tournament idea just needs to die, but anytime owners can run the players into the ground even more to further fill their pockets they'll go for it.
Seriously, does ANYONE care about these tournaments they keep trying to make happen?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#120 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:13 pm

grindtime22 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

That isn't how it went down. Warriors were 8th. The initial play-in game was great for the league. The Warriors losing game 2 was a mini-disaster for the league.

you're right but point still stands, play-in makes the league less competitive overall despite the sick game u might get here and there.

Return to The General Board