ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,158

Re: Official Celtics 2021-22 Off-Season Thread 

Post#1401 » by playa-hater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm

Bohemian wrote:I wonder if Brad is up to a small move once the Juancho deal is official tomorrow.

I think Brad averages a move every 5 days since the trade season opened up. that has to be an all-time high.

#BradtheGOAT
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
jeremym480
Senior
And1: 1,094

Post#1402 » by jeremym480 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would voted for #71 but don't want to register for the site :roll:

I've been thinking about what numbers the new C's will wear my guesses are

Schroder - #71 but 84 or 96 would be cool as well
Richardson #8 or #20 if Parker gets released
Kanter #27
Juancho #41
Bruno #45 (if Romeo is going with #9)
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,507

Post#1403 » by snowman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:45 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:highlights can be deceiving, but a 6'7 shooter is OK by me.

[img][/img]

Highlights can be deceiving but the numbers don't lie and the numbers they show in that video are impressive.

45.5% from 3. 82,7% FT, 48.8% on 2 pointers. Usage % of 21% which is not too high which tells you he's a good off-ball player who doesn't demand the ball in his hands all the time - a must for our team with 2 ball dominant scorers. And an offensive rating that is much higher than defensive rating. All good indicators.

This could be a good pickup to help shore up the bench.

his NBA numbers are quite low. Probably less than 30%. But there are many factors that can go into that. Inconsistent and sporadic playing time can cause low%.. Less Competition level overseas can cause a spike. Flip side is increased work and seasoning/experience can increase numbers as well. Looking at Gerald Green for that one.

Either way my eyes say he has a nice looking shooting stroke and at the very least should be looked at very closely by Boston come training camp. I definitely like him as a shooter more than Morgan..

I know that its a highlight film, but did you notice that an extremely high percentage of this 3's never touch the rim? Good form, weak on 1 on 1 defense, but that can be hid. We may be looking at our next 2-way player. I also like him better than Morgan, but I like Morgan better than G. Will if that tells you anything.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#1404 » by Hal14 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:16 pm

snowman wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Highlights can be deceiving but the numbers don't lie and the numbers they show in that video are impressive.

45.5% from 3. 82,7% FT, 48.8% on 2 pointers. Usage % of 21% which is not too high which tells you he's a good off-ball player who doesn't demand the ball in his hands all the time - a must for our team with 2 ball dominant scorers. And an offensive rating that is much higher than defensive rating. All good indicators.

his NBA numbers are quite low. Probably less than 30%. But there are many factors that can go into that. Inconsistent and sporadic playing time can cause low%.. Less Competition level overseas can cause a spike. Flip side is increased work and seasoning/experience can increase numbers as well. Looking at Gerald Green for that one.

Either way my eyes say he has a nice looking shooting stroke and at the very least should be looked at very closely by Boston come training camp. I definitely like him as a shooter more than Morgan..

I know that its a highlight film, but did you notice that an extremely high percentage of this 3's never touch the rim? Good form, weak on 1 on 1 defense, but that can be hid. We may be looking at our next 2-way player. I also like him better than Morgan, but I like Morgan better than G. Will if that tells you anything.

Yes, Playa Hater you outlined the 3 primary reasons why his numbers were low in NBA and high overseas. The other potential reason is the further out 3 point line in the NBA can cause some guys to shoot better overseas than they do in the NBA..

I like to think it's moreso that he's gotten better with more experience/seasoning/reps since he is 28 yrs old. which is right in the middle of the prime of most pro basketball players career and it's the time when many pro basketball players peak - so we're potentially picking up a guy who has done all of his development, gone through his growing pains and now we're getting him at his peak.

I would be nervous if I'm Parker. Only dude on the 15 man roster without a guaranteed contract and he's got some potentially stiff competition in Anthony Brown, Juwan Morgan and to a lesser extent Kornet..

If nothing else, it'll be good to have some good competitive battles in training camp.

If Brown turns out to be a sniper and solid scoring weapon off the bench, Brad is a genius. If he never plays a minute for the C's, oh well, we didn't trade anything to get him and all we gave him was a training camp invite. Low risk, high reward flier. You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,914

Post#1405 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,151

Post#1406 » by Tyakack » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 pm

I'm really excited about this years team. I think they have a real chance to surprise alot of people. Alot of it depends on tatum of course and the leap he makes or doesn't make.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#1407 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 pm

Tyakack wrote:I'm really excited about this years team. I think they have a real chance to surprise alot of people. Alot of it depends on tatum of course and the leap he makes or doesn't make.

I agree with your conclusion, although I think the real dependencies are Ime Udoka and Jalen Brown. It's all about sharing the ball, not individual heroics.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1408 » by Bohemian » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:23 am

jeremym480 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would voted for #71 but don't want to register for the site :roll:

I've been thinking about what numbers the new C's will wear my guesses are

Schroder - #71 but 84 or 96 would be cool as well
Richardson #8 or #20 if Parker gets released
Kanter #27
Juancho #41
Bruno #45 (if Romeo is going with #9)

Schröder should choose #8, it´s a more classical jersey. Juancho will choose #41 (it´s his normal number) and then I am not sure about Richardson and Kanter. Bruno wore #55 in Summer league so he may keep it.

#4 is also free but it´s not being mentioned...are they keeping it for Bradley Beal? :wink:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,914

Post#1409 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Fun Pretty-Sure-It's-Fact (But Too Lazy to Verify): The Boston Celtics are the only team with a pair of players sharing the exact same birth date. Happy 28th Born Day to the new members of the team, Dennis Schroder and Josh Richardson!

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,260

Post#1410 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#1411 » by Bad-Thoma » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:25 pm

Is this the thread where I can complain that it's still the off season and I can't watch the Cs yet? Watching Mac Jones develop should be fun but basketball >>>> football for me and one game a week? That leaves me way to much time to have to talk to people.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1412 » by Bohemian » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:Is this the thread where I can complain that it's still the off season and I can't watch the Cs yet? Watching Mac Jones develop should be fun but basketball >>>> football for me and one game a week? That leaves me way to much time to have to talk to people.

Don´t worry, Brad will make a trade soon to keep us entertained as he has all off-season. How about Grant Williams to New Orleans and Marc Gasol changing his mind and staying one more year in the NBA and signing with us?? Two Spaniards!! :wink:
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#1413 » by exculpatory » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:Is this the thread where I can complain that it's still the off season and I can't watch the Cs yet? Watching Mac Jones develop should be fun but basketball >>>> football for me and one game a week? That leaves me way to much time to have to talk to people.

Have more sex with your wife.

Or come to DC & do some landscaping for me.

Or join a logging company.

Or learn to play the xylophone.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#1414 » by Bad-Thoma » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 pm

exculpatory wrote:

Have more sex with your wife.

Or come to DC & do some landscaping for me.

Or join a logging company.

Or learn to play the xylophone.

I've got no shortage of work to do, believe me on that one (booked till next summer, at least). Also, I'm pretty sure option A and option D aren't synergistic.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#1415 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:45 am

Bohemian wrote:

Don´t worry, Brad will make a trade soon to keep us entertained as he has all off-season. How about Grant Williams to New Orleans and Marc Gasol changing his mind and staying one more year in the NBA and signing with us?? Two Spaniards!! :wink:

Gasol would be a nice fit here. He and Horf could spilt time. 82 games and POs is a long long season. ESPN has us as the 6th seed. I think we're gonna surprise alot of people. Last year seemed a bit unserious to me. Thinking this season we're all in to compete for every game.
That's the Way of the World
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,260

Post#1416 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:48 am

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#1417 » by big-shot-ROB » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:26 am

snowman wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Highlights can be deceiving but the numbers don't lie and the numbers they show in that video are impressive.

After the Yabusele fiasco I thought we had learned to take with a grain of salt anything coming from the French basketball league.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,158

Post#1418 » by playa-hater » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:50 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
snowman wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

After the Yabusele fiasco I thought we had learned to take with a grain of salt anything coming from the French basketball league.

LOL, on "fiasco" well I don't think Not drafting French players or players playing in France should be a rule. Either way he is a no risk investment since he is only an invite. And we certainly are not lowing a 1st rd draft pick on him like Yabu... Thanks again Danny..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1419 » by GoCeltics123 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 pm

At first the word with Fields was just that he was being promoted around the league as a good GM candidate and teams including Boston were taking that under advisement. I am not sure how far any talks with him got, but I've heard that there certainly has been tangible consideration for Fields joining the FO in a top position. I don't know if that would be GM and what that would mean for Mike Zarren, longtime Assistant GM. As far as Feaster, I haven't heard anything that indicates she is moving into the GM role. My impression of her role in the coaching search was more that because she is essentially the director responsible for maintaining the relationship between the players and the front office, it made sense for her to be heavily involved with the coaching search from that standpoint. She certainly has become deeply embedded with how the team is run and she is working with the players on a daily basis, so she is getting a lot closer with them than everyone else in the front office and it makes sense for her to be there for the coaching interviews.

Jared Weiss on Landry Fields/FO rumors
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#1420 » by Hal14 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:31 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
snowman wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

oh c'mon, you can't be serious. Just because ONE guy didn't work out you're going to completely write off every player from the country that just won the silver medal in the Olympics forever?

Yabusele didn't work out but Gobert did. Fournier did. Tony Parker did. Nic Batum did. Boris Diaw did. Mickael Pietrus did.

Begarin shows good promise. So does Ousmane Dieng, a projected lottery pick in the 2022 draft. And so does Victor Wembanyama, who is already projected to be the no. 1 pick in the 2023 draft - Wembanyama is currently playing in the french league and most people are saying he'll be the best player in the draft since Zion - Wembanyama outplayed Chet Holmgren at the U19 world cup this past summer, and Holmgren is a projected top 2 pick in the 2022 draft.

But nah, anyone from the french league is garbage :roll:
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics