Gordon re-signs with the nuggets !

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Re: Gordon re-signs with the nuggets ! 

Post#21 » by psimanic1 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Statlanta wrote:23 Million vs. Jerami Grant's 20 Million

That's the real comparison.

No it's not, Grant wanted bigger role, so it's 23 Million vs Jerami Grant 20 Million and making him, what, 2nd most important player on O so he is satisfied?

also...

Read on Twitter
?s=20
OrlMagic05 wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:How are they going to be able to keep that team together. You have to think that someone will throw a max deal at MPJ next summer. Once they resign Jokic as well they will have close to 137 million dollars committed to 5 players.

MPJ will also be extended this summer, I've read somewhere it's around 100/4 with possibility to get to Max if he fulfills some contract options, health probably...

Why would he do that as a player that should automatically get a max contract? 100/4 for MPJ seems extremely low.

Not sure, that's what I read on twitter few weeks ago, and I'm sure it will go higher than that, but it will have some options in it, like AG probably has some and his contract is actually like 4/88..
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,665

Post#22 » by ChuckChilly » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:44 pm

Gross. Outside of playing solid defense, what is this guy good at?
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,951

Post#23 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:45 pm

He played well when Denver was running on all cylinders and he was the 3rd option on offense. Once Murray went out, I thought he would step up his game, but instead he looked pretty bad because he just kept putting up the same mediocre numbers of a third option. He looked especially bad against the Suns. But, if Murray comes back healthy, then he can go back to the easy alley oops, back door screen and rolls, and easy put backs.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#24 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:48 pm

After seeing the Lonzo contract and a few others. This seems like the going rate for still youngish former high draft picks that are good but not great nba starters.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#25 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:He played well when Denver was running on all cylinders and he was the 3rd option on offense. Once Murray went out, I thought he would step up his game, but instead he looked pretty bad because he just kept putting up the same mediocre numbers of a third option. He looked especially bad against the Suns. But, if Murray comes back healthy, then he can go back to the easy alley oops, back door screen and rolls, and easy put backs.

When was AG a third option on offense?
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#26 » by Bologna Smasher » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 pm

Jeez. I suppose they had to do it, though. He fit the team very well when everyone was healthy. Not so much once Murray and some of the other guys went out.

Their salary numbers are going to be insane once they give Porter Jr. his extension.
Down3223
Junior
And1: 994

Post#27 » by Down3223 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:16 pm

QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,211

Post#28 » by QingJames » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:16 pm

I was frankly disappointed with how Gordon fit in with the Nuggets last year, especially in light of Murray's injury, and I probably rate Gordon more highly than most. It is undoubtedly an overpay but I get it, you can't let another useful piece walk when you're trying to contend.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
Sharkboy242
Veteran
And1: 3,813

Post#29 » by Sharkboy242 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:21 pm

That's awesome. Glad we got him locked up. Well worth 23 million.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#30 » by Soulyss » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:24 pm

youngthegiant wrote:It's an overpay, but Denver can't risk losing him for nothing like they did with Grant.

It was an overpay, especially with Paying MPJ coming... but it was going to happen when they made the trade...
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#31 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:27 pm

And they let Jerami Grant walk for 60m/3 yr.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#32 » by TheHartBreakKid » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Wow. For a FO that has made some amazing moves in the past 5-7 years with very few mistakes, this is a terrible deal for the Nuggets. I know their options were limited, but I would rather not have AG vs having him on that contract. I'm also not sure where AG's leverage came for getting that deal. Who was going to pay him anything close to that?

Awful by the Nugs.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,706

Post#33 » by zeebneeb » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:33 pm

Normally I don't care about the size of the contract as important players to a teams success is what matters.

The real question is;

Is Gordon an integral piece to the Nuggets winning a title. In that instance, one would have to say no. I would look for a trade to upgrade as the season goes on.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#34 » by Zombiesonics » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:34 pm

ChuckChilly wrote:Gross. Outside of playing solid defense, what is this guy good at?

waiting on an answer for this too.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,930

Post#35 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:34 pm

People don't realize what is the real worth of AG for the Nuggets. Nuggets have 3 great efficient scorers in Jokic, Murray and MPJ. Yes when Murray went down, Barton was injured and MPJ tweaked his back in POs AG couldn't become 2nd scoring option after Jokic. We don't need him for that. Offensively he is 10-12 pts scorer not 4th but 5th option after Barton. It is his fit with MPJ defensively that have more value for the Nuggets than for any other team. MPJ is not good wing defender, chasing players around screens ect. But he is much better as PF with help defense, rim protection and rebounding. MPJ also can't guard AD or Randle. AG can cover for all that. His defensive versatility is his worth. Can guard 1-4 effectively and protect MPJ defensively. That is something that Grant never could do. AG is also satisfied with his role which is also very important for the Nuggets to contend (similar to Iggy for GS)
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 5,828

Post#36 » by Doranku » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:34 pm

AG was pretty awful with the Nuggets, especially in the playoffs. Gives off Ben Simmons vibes, hasn't really improved his game much at all since coming into the league. Offensive game still looks extremely raw. He's a good defender but for $23mil/year... nah. Tough L for Nuggets fans.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,376

Post#37 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Gordon, or at least the type of player Gordon is, is crucial to have when building around Jokic. It feels like a slight overpay, but they're getting all his prime years for this, his age 26-30 seasons. I think people have forgotten how young Gordon is.

Gordon didn't impress last season or in the playoffs, but before the Murray injury, that starting lineup was absolutely obliterating everyone. Gordon is a multi-positional defender with enough strength to defend every kind of forward. The Nuggets would have gotten beaten by the Clippers 2 years ago without Jerami Grant. Aaron Gordon fills the massive hole left by him. I think Gordon has some potential Jokic synergy that they didn't quite have time to tap into last year.

I like the deal, because I think the Nuggets, with Jokic/Murray/MPJ/Gordon, have a legit title window. If they can add 1 more perimeter defender, this is a pretty perfectly built team imo.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#38 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#39 » by TheRealKaboom » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 pm

$92,000,000 for a player who does . . . nothing. Goodbye "small market" as an excuse for not winning, Denver.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#40 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:45 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:Gordon, or at least the type of player Gordon is, is crucial to have when building around Jokic. It feels like a slight overpay, but they're getting all his prime years for this, his age 26-30 seasons. I think people have forgotten how young Gordon is.

Gordon didn't impress last season or in the playoffs, but before the Murray injury, that starting lineup was absolutely obliterating everyone. Gordon is a multi-positional defender with enough strength to defend every kind of forward. The Nuggets would have gotten beaten by the Clippers 2 years ago without Jerami Grant. Aaron Gordon fills the massive hole left by him. I think Gordon has some potential Jokic synergy that they didn't quite have time to tap into last year.

I like the deal, because I think the Nuggets, with Jokic/Murray/MPJ/Gordon, have a legit title window. If they can add 1 more perimeter defender, this is a pretty perfectly built team imo.

They already have PJ Dozier who is among the best perimeter defenders by majority of advanced stats and eye test.

Return to The General Board