ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA will NOT mandate vaccines

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,516

Re: NBA will NOT mandate vaccines 

Post#21 » by SFour » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Didn't Biden mandate the vaccine for any company with 100 or more employees....I'm pretty sure the NBA has more than 100 players so how does that work

I'm pro-choice, but I don't understand how you can mandate the vaccine for a certain set of people, and at the same time let another set of people slide away just because of their power/money/status
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#22 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 pm

I never really cared if athletes got vaccinated or not.
Vaclac
Junior
And1: 178

Post#23 » by Vaclac » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 pm

SFour wrote:Didn't Biden mandate the vaccine for any company with 100 or more employees....I'm pretty sure the NBA has more than 100 players so how does that work

I'm pro-choice, but I don't understand how you can mandate the vaccine for a certain set of people, and at the same time let another set of people slide away just because of their power/money/status

That mandate has only be announced but not yet put in to place. The announced plan had an alternative to vaccination of weekly testing, so I think the NBA already has a policy with respect to unvaccinated players that is stricter than what the Biden mandate would require.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#24 » by ruckus » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:14 pm

The NBA is already ahead of the curve with the majority of their staff, coaches, players, etc being vaccinated. It'll be interesting to see how local mandates will affect visiting teams that have unvaccinated personnel.

I'm wondering if this is just a way for the NBA to straddle both sides of the fence.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,516

Post#25 » by SFour » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Vaclac wrote:
SFour wrote:Didn't Biden mandate the vaccine for any company with 100 or more employees....I'm pretty sure the NBA has more than 100 players so how does that work

That mandate has only be announced but not yet put in to place. The announced plan had an alternative to vaccination of weekly testing, so I think the NBA already has a policy with respect to unvaccinated players that is stricter than what the Biden mandate would require.

Shams just tweeted this....frequent testing for unvaccinated which is definitely more strict like you mentioned.

Read on Twitter
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#26 » by kalel123 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:05 pm

I guess major question that concerns us is will unvaccinated NBA players be allowed to cross the border to play? Don't know ins and outs of the matter but seems a bit dodgy.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,638

Post#27 » by C_Money » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 pm

For the sake of our playoff chances don’t let them into Toronto.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#28 » by 720 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:10 pm

kalel123 wrote:I guess major question that concerns us is will unvaccinated NBA players be allowed to cross the border to play? Don't know ins and outs of the matter but seems a bit dodgy.

The Rays had to send back a few staff and players before they couldn't play the Blue Jays in Toronto. Probably the same thing will happen in the NBA.
kalel123
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by kalel123 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:18 pm

720 wrote:
kalel123 wrote:I guess major question that concerns us is will unvaccinated NBA players be allowed to cross the border to play? Don't know ins and outs of the matter but seems a bit dodgy.

The Rays had to send back a few staff and players before they could play the Blue Jays in Toronto. Probably the same thing will happen in the NBA.

So I suppose if say a LeBron James could be held back if he's not vaccinated? Seems like a plus.
kalel123
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by kalel123 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:21 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Laughing at the Boston Red Sox, who had a brutal August and fell out of a WC spot yesterday largely because of their unvaccinated players. Great timing if you're a Jays fan.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/2021/09/02/divided-house-unvaccinated-red-sox-players-risk-ruining-season/5684255001/

It'll be interesting to see which NBA teams self-sabotage and which ones actually have some discipline.

I'd be interested to see if Kyrie Irving does anything crazy here if they really do mandate it in NY. Or if he'd try to find a way to get out of it. He seems exactly like the person that would avoid getting vaccinated.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#31 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:36 pm

Really hope Canada decides unvaxxed can't enter. It will publicly shame the idiots
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Post#32 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:42 pm

If the NFL couldn't mandate it for their players whom have a much weaker union, there was no chance the NBA was going to.

Guess it's time to find out which players to lose respect for.
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#33 » by OhCanada1091 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Laughing at the Boston Red Sox, who had a brutal August and fell out of a WC spot yesterday largely because of their unvaccinated players. Great timing if you're a Jays fan.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/2021/09/02/divided-house-unvaccinated-red-sox-players-risk-ruining-season/5684255001/

It'll be interesting to see which NBA teams self-sabotage and which ones actually have some discipline.

Wow thats crazy. Stop paying attention to the MLB for two weeks and the entire leagues standings changes. Last I checked there was no chance for the Jays to catch up then they go 9-1 and Yankees go 2-8 and were ahead by a hair. I hope they can pull off a playoff spot that would be awesome.
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#34 » by OhCanada1091 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 pm

I highly doubt any of the elite players will go unvaccinated. They will have tons of pressure pushed on them and when your earning $20 mil or more thats not really something to play with.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#35 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:09 pm

720 wrote:

The Rays had to send back a few staff and players before they couldn't play the Blue Jays in Toronto. Probably the same thing will happen in the NBA.

Non-vaccinated MLB players are allowed into the country and have been from the start in July. The government just hasn't made it public after MLB's proposal. It's called modified quarantine rules for them here. NBA will follow the same unadvertised rules I'm sure.

They aren't holding any player back from coming in. Unless they are obviously ill with covid.

If they did or if they change it, we aren't going to be playing at home without a real loud amount of political talk, and it will be public and it's going to be a huge issue.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#36 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 pm

ruckus wrote:The NBA is already ahead of the curve with the majority of their staff, coaches, players, etc being vaccinated. It'll be interesting to see how local mandates will affect visiting teams that have unvaccinated personnel.

I'm wondering if this is just a way for the NBA to straddle both sides of the fence.

It's exactly that. Especially since each team very likely employs more than 100 staff. Unless NBA players operate as a bunch of independent contractors in effect under the law.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#37 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:14 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:Really hope Canada decides unvaxxed can't enter. It will publicly shame the idiots

Multi millionaire athletes that won't take a vaccination that's being forced on all the people of the world are idiots? I'd rather be them than you is all i'm saying lol.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#38 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:18 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Its a union. They cant.

Plenty of unionised workplaces have mandated vaccines.

Yup. Good luck standing against the vaccine mandate as a member of the TDSB union.

Why would teachers want to go to work unvaccinated? Kids are walking diseases, and most teachers aren't in great shape.

The bigger issue with that line of work was forcing at-risk teachers to return to in-class lectures during the pandemic. There was no way to ensure their safety.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#39 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:20 pm

chubbs715 wrote:I'm not surprised but don't really care that much either. I don't think unvaccinated players can even come to Canada or play in NY and SF currently, wouldn't be surprised if a few more cities in the US follow through. Looks like we'll see a few rosters looking thin or having to play their bench more against certain teams, curious to see if players are really willing to sit out, especially ones fighting for the playoffs and they have to play Knicks and Nets for their last two games lol

In theory it should most definitely be a personal choice as having control of one's body similar to the abortion debate. Immunization though is effective if you reach critical mass numbers of people vaccinated and they can also develop their own immunity by contracting a less threatening load of this virus. That works for the vaccinated and so many chose to be two dose administrred. That overwhelming majority of people will never be mandated because after being presented with best known evidence they made the willing safety decision. Those left are mostly a danger to themselves because they are not best protected against critical illness. In Canada the employer is legally responsible for a worker's safety while on the job. An employer could argue to keep workers safe from critical illness while on the job they will have to mandate vaccination for some who remain unvaccinated and at risk. Society deems people at risk without seat belts and air bags. Most outside South Carolina easily comply. This is an extrapolation of that concept. That the NBA chooses to heed civil Libertarians that often bitch about all of the protocols, including masks, boo hoo, is now a league staring at no win damage control. So some handful of players with profiles are either smarter than everyone combined, the earth is Kyrie flat or some lost souls fools are afraid of a leadership position outside the self attention platform of twitter where there are no stakes when spouting opinions to followers. Gamble on your personal choices if so inclined but do not expect to have others willingly go down swinging too. Time for a one on one basketball league for the unvaccinated.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#40 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:30 pm

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:Really hope Canada decides unvaxxed can't enter. It will publicly shame the idiots

Multi millionaire athletes that won't take a vaccination that's being forced on all the people of the world are idiots? I'd rather be them than you is all i'm saying lol.

Yes

Return to Toronto Raptors