Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize money

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#121 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:47 pm

guys like Kawhi and LeBron and AD are not gonna sacrifice their body for some dumb in season tournament and wil just scoff at a 1 million dollar prize. LeBron probably makes 10x that just sitting at home watching it.

However G League guys who are fighting for jobs and living on KFC stipends and riding buses to small cities will show up and ball out for a 1 million dollar prize.

How do you balance that?

I mean if I was passed over for the draft, spent the last 2 years in G League squad and the best way to get noticed was taking Giannas out when he drives to the bucket, I am taking Giannas out when he drives to the bucket.....
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,404

Re: Shams:The NBA is discussing having an in-season tournament in future seasons, with $1 million per player in prize mo 

Post#122 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 pm

If this is in place of RS games, I'm for it. If it's additive, that's too many games - players will sit out even more during RS.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#123 » by coldfish » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:12 pm

A single elimination tournament would be at most 5 games. Half the teams would play 1 game.

Shorten the season 10 games and have this tournament. Would be pretty cool actually. The 82 game season is simply too long and its to the point where even the fans don't take large sections of it seriously. No issue with cutting it down and adding in something of a different flavor.

Put something on it more interesting than $1m. Like the winner gets an automatic top 4 seed in the playoffs.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,669

Post#124 » by ConSarnit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
salty about what? the Warriors were 9th in the standings, if anything I would be happy that the play-in gave us a chance for the POs.

That isn't how it went down. Warriors were 8th. The initial play-in game was great for the league. The Warriors losing game 2 was a mini-disaster for the league.

you're right but point still stands, play-in makes the league less competitive overall despite the sick game u might get here and there.

How is it less competitive? More playoff (play-in) spots means more opportunity. This means less tanking. See: Bulls and Kings last year. It also allows for teams with injuries to re-group. Consider if Klay came back late last year. Would you have rather seen MEM or fully healthy GSW in the playoffs? The play-in provides a chance for a weak 8th seed to be knocked out of the playoffs by a superior team who may have struggled with injuries (or made an in-season upgrade through trade). If we had the play-in earlier it might have saved us from watching garbage teams like the '19 Pistons or the '16 Grizzlies.

Shouldn't the point be to have the best teams in the playoffs?
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#125 » by Homer38 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:
That isn't how it went down. Warriors were 8th. The initial play-in game was great for the league. The Warriors losing game 2 was a mini-disaster for the league.

you're right but point still stands, play-in makes the league less competitive overall despite the sick game u might get here and there.

How is it less competitive? More playoff (play-in) spots means more opportunity. This means less tanking. See: Bulls and Kings last year. It also allows for teams with injuries to re-group. Consider if Klay came back late last year. Would you have rather seen MEM or fully healthy GSW in the playoffs? The play-in provides a chance for a weak 8th seed to be knocked out of the playoffs by a superior team who may have struggled with injuries (or made an in-season upgrade through trade). If we had the play-in earlier it might have saved us from watching garbage teams like the '19 Pistons or the '16 Grizzlies.

Shouldn't the point be to have the best teams in the playoffs?

82 games should be enough to find who are the best teams in the regular season ..... The 9th or 10th seed doesn't deserve another chance no matter what....Injuries are part of the game
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#126 » by reamily » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:17 pm

I like the idea although we will see bench and 2 way players fight for it..if you put playoff advvantage the winner then were talking
normgod6
Junior
And1: 767

Post#127 » by normgod6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:23 pm

its going to be mostly for bench players and young prospects trying to make a name for themselves and get their names out on national television. Its going to be fun for rebuilding teams and teams with young prospects. It probably wont do much for contending teams but they already got the playoffs to look forward to anyways. Can you imagine a Cade vs Jalen Green tournament finals game? Thats entertaining basketball and doubles as excellent marketing for young players.

Sent from my SM-A530W using RealGM mobile app
Homer38
RealGM

Post#128 » by Homer38 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:24 pm

normgod6 wrote:its going to be mostly for bench players and young prospects trying to make a name for themselves and get their names out on national television. Its going to be fun for rebuilding teams and teams with young prospects. It probably wont do much for contending teams but they already got the playoffs to look forward to anyways. Can you imagine a Cade vs Jalen Green tournament finals game? Thats entertaining basketball and doubles as excellent marketing for young players.

We can have that in the summer league....
normgod6
Junior
And1: 767

Post#129 » by normgod6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:27 pm

Homer38 wrote:
normgod6 wrote:its going to be mostly for bench players and young prospects trying to make a name for themselves and get their names out on national television. Its going to be fun for rebuilding teams and teams with young prospects. It probably wont do much for contending teams but they already got the playoffs to look forward to anyways. Can you imagine a Cade vs Jalen Green tournament finals game? Thats entertaining basketball and doubles as excellent marketing for young players.

We can have that in the summer league....

Summer league mostly consists of random collection of players destined for careers in Europe and China with like 2 weeks of practice together. The tournament will still consist of NBA players who have built chemistry.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,560

Post#130 » by Harry Garris » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:32 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Absolutely horrible idea. Silver is becoming a complete disaster

Is there a reason why this is a horrible idea other than "it's different and therefore bad and scary"?

I will never understand the mindset that new ideas shouldn't be tried, personally. New ideas should ALWAYS be tried. Keep the ones that stick and don't do the rest again, at least you gave it a shot.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,435

Post#131 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 pm

The substantial prize money is pretty much an acknowledgement that the players don't want this.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,109

Post#132 » by art_tatum » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:43 pm

You guys are not understanding the betting interest involved in a nba knockout tourney that alone will make it successful. (A major reason march madness is popular is betting brackets). And if ratings are up bc of betting interest you can count on stars wanting to play.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Post#133 » by NeoDragonKnight » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:13 pm

If they did that for every game maybe, like you are rewarded part of your salary for winning, players would play like they have to win to eat game in game out.
Homer38
RealGM

Post#134 » by Homer38 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:24 pm

The NBA should focus on the product if they want better rating ....
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,479

Post#135 » by azcatz11 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 pm

Harry Garris wrote:

Is there a reason why this is a horrible idea other than "it's different and therefore bad and scary"?

I will never understand the mindset that new ideas shouldn't be tried, personally. New ideas should ALWAYS be tried. Keep the ones that stick and don't do the rest again, at least you gave it a shot.

That's fair.

However, I still can't wrap my head around this simple statement:

"As a fan, why should I care about this?"

The regular season SHOULD mean something. Now, if that's 50 games (which I think it should be) it's not our problem as consumers to demand that. Putting in a novelty mid-season tournament to replace meaningless regular season games is not the answer.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#136 » by Paradise » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:24 am

Harry Garris wrote:

So, Giannis, KD, Bron and guys who are steady focused on championships is supposed to play 40 minutes in a meaningless “mid season” tournament that offers no benefit to their franchise’s chances of winning a title is a good idea?

It would be extremely helpful instead to do a mid-season tournament to determine draft order after the NCAA tournament.
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#137 » by Flannerz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:13 am

I think this is a great idea. With an 82 game regular season, play in tournament and the playoffs there just isn't enough basketball.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,560

Post#138 » by Harry Garris » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:07 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:

That's fair.

However, I still can't wrap my head around this simple statement:

"As a fan, why should I care about this?"

The regular season SHOULD mean something. Now, if that's 50 games (which I think it should be) it's not our problem as consumers to demand that. Putting in a novelty mid-season tournament to replace meaningless regular season games is not the answer.

As a fan, you should care about watching competitive basketball. Isn't that why we follow the NBA? I don't know if a mid season tournament could achieve that, I don't think there's any way to predict how much the players would care or try, but if the NBA is able to deliver more of the product that it's customers are paying for I don't see how that's a bad thing.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#139 » by andyhop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:05 am

Plutonashfan wrote:I can see many of higher paid players simple load managing during the tourney. 1 million is chump change to some of these guys. The only way I can see this working is with some more incentives.

If so that will make it the equivalent of domestic cup competitions in most European countries where the stars are all rested for the important games and the reserves / youth players get a run out for experience/match fitness
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#140 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:24 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:The substantial prize money is pretty much an acknowledgement that the players don't want this.

players mentality suck man. no hunger for wins, improvement all they care is money to the point they are so rich 1mil doesnt even look like money. this is why steph shouldnt earn 60mil shooting 3s. to him its the easiest job than driving a car.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.

Return to The General Board