ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin! 

Post#141 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#142 » by 31to6 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:06 pm

here's a hope, then: let's fill that other two-way slot with a PF and/or C prospect instead of yet another guard.

(Taaaaaaackkkkkooooooo:)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#143 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:15 pm

When we got Richardson and Schroder it made keeping either Madar or Begarin unlikely. It’s what I’ve been worried about, that Udoka wants vets and he’ll play lesser talent with no futures here over young developing players. If you play fantasy basketball I’d stay away from Pritchard and Nesmith until your very last picks. They simply won’t play as much as many hoped.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#144 » by playa-hater » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:36 pm

While I am against it, I do understand it. Either way, make the most of it, both players and team.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM

Post#145 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#146 » by remi_222 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:10 pm

Also, Paris Basket is owned by David Kahn, former GM of the Timberwolves, so just that should give Juhann a good way of learning NBA bball next year in France.
In France we dont understand this position since Juhann had a very nice SL, would have been better for his improvement to face NBA type of games in the G-League, but in term of physicality, type of game, the french league is the closest to the NBA in Europe.
Def needs to improve his shooting (3's and FT's)
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#147 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:17 pm

Paris Basket will also be playing in Pro A next year, which is also good for Begarin's development.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#148 » by Half-Full » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:25 pm

For anyone interested in following Juhaan this season, here is the Paris Basketball schedule:

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/France/Paris-Basketball/48107?Page=2
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#149 » by Half-Full » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Interesting to see that former NBA player, Kyle O'Quinn, recently signed with Paris Basketball (on Sept. 2nd). Also on the roster is former UConn player, Ryan Boatright.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#150 » by cl2117 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:03 pm

I've been watching reels of this kid and he's certainly got some upside. Said the same thing about Yam, but we're really lucky to be able to stash some quality talent with these mid-round seconds. Solid asset management and I think basically all stashes benefit from it. Nothing may come of either, but it's the kind of pick I like in that range.

The key to Juhann having a role on an NBA roster is going to be defense. He's got some good fundamentals and great size/athleticism, reminds me a bit of Lu Dort. He's got that insane length that'll let him play up a couple spots on the wing and he's still got really good quickness for switching. Offensively he's lagging way behind compared to his defense, so it'll be an uphill battle for him, but seems like a worthy flyer.

The crazy thing with some of these 18/19 year olds is that they're not even done growing. Anthony Edwards has gone from 6'4 to 6'6 since he's been drafted. You never know what can happen, so I'm all for stashing kids in Europe regularly (especially if it just costs cash).
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#151 » by Hal14 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:15 pm

cl2117 wrote:I've been watching reels of this kid and he's certainly got some upside. Said the same thing about Yam, but we're really lucky to be able to stash some quality talent with these mid-round seconds. Solid asset management and I think basically all stashes benefit from it. Nothing may come of either, but it's the kind of pick I like in that range.

The key to Juhann having a role on an NBA roster is going to be defense. He's got some good fundamentals and great size/athleticism, reminds me a bit of Lu Dort. He's got that insane length that'll let him play up a couple spots on the wing and he's still got really good quickness for switching. Offensively he's lagging way behind compared to his defense, so it'll be an uphill battle for him, but seems like a worthy flyer.

The crazy thing with some of these 18/19 year olds is that they're not even done growing. Anthony Edwards has gone from 6'4 to 6'6 since he's been drafted. You never know what can happen, so I'm all for stashing kids in Europe regularly (especially if it just costs cash).

I agree with most of this. and while i agree that in summer league (and also at the G-league elite camp scrimmages) it appeared as though his defense was better than his offense, from the footage I watched of him playing in France, it was the opposite. Why is that?

Either:
a) his offense all of a sudden didn't look as good when going against tougher competition

or

b) his offense was better when playing for his team in France because they were actually running plays - they were running plays for him, it was a team he had played with for 2 years so he got used to the system, got used to his teammates, got used to his coach, was playing in his home country, etc. compared to summer league and G-league elite camp which were just a bunch of teams thrown together and was less structure, more like an open gym, pickup game style of play - some guys don't look as good in that unstructured, pickup game, all star game type of play. Not to mention he played what, 30+ games in France last season compared to only 2 games at g-league elite camp and what, 5 games of summer league and when in doubt you should always put more weight into the larger sample size

Or maybe a combination of the 2..
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#152 » by Half-Full » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:I've been watching reels of this kid and he's certainly got some upside. Said the same thing about Yam, but we're really lucky to be able to stash some quality talent with these mid-round seconds. Solid asset management and I think basically all stashes benefit from it. Nothing may come of either, but it's the kind of pick I like in that range.

I agree with most of this. and while i agree that in summer league (and also at the G-league elite camp scrimmages) it appeared as though his defense was better than his offense, from the footage I watched of him playing in France, it was the opposite. Why is that?

Either:
a) his offense all of a sudden didn't look as good when going against tougher competition

or

b) his offense was better when playing for his team in France because they were actually running plays - they were running plays for him, it was a team he had played with for 2 years so he got used to the system, got used to his teammates, got used to his coach, was playing in his home country, etc. compared to summer league and G-league elite camp which were just a bunch of teams thrown together and was less structure, more like an open gym, pickup game style of play - some guys don't look as good in that unstructured, pickup game, all star game type of play. Not to mention he played what, 30+ games in France last season compared to only 2 games at g-league elite camp and what, 5 games of summer league and when in doubt you should always put more weight into the larger sample size

Yeah, combination of the 2. :D

cl2117
General Manager

Post#153 » by cl2117 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Either:

or

I think it's mostly the competition. At the level he'd been playing at you can get buckets by just being bigger/stronger and/or more athletic.

It didn't look like he had too much in his bag. Looked like he does a lot of his damage in transition from what I've seen, which just won't be as easy as the competition gets tougher. He doesn't have the smoothest stroke on his jumper, he doesn't seem to have great touch around the basket. But he's athletic/has good size and his shot isn't broken, so he's got potential. Just seems to be really raw, but no major defects.

He's gonna play against better competition so it'll be interesting to see how his game adjusts. I think he's got to lean into that defensive identity and just work to be passable offensively. It's kind of like football, if you're a fringe guy you earn your spot on special teams. If he can be switchy tough defender, he can have a role for an NBA team. If any scoring comes along with it, even better.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#154 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:43 am

Hal14 wrote:

Either:

or

his offense looked behind his defense because he's a PG with the ball in his hands and we played him off ball because we were showcasing Edwards and Pritchard. He won't ever shine and reach his potential if we don't let him play his natural PG position where he could eventually become like SGA if given the chance. His length, size and athleticism give his defense a very high floor and I'm not worried about that side of the ball. He'll likely be able to switch 1-4 like Smart does. He won't get minutes here so no point in him being over here and starting his clock tbh
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#155 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:12 am

I have quite a different view of Begarin. Clearly he needs to work on his shot. But his BBIQ is off the charts for a 19 year-old with his limited experience. In Summer league he consistently made the right pass, the right play. He let the game come to him. I'd like to see the plus/minus when he was on the floor vs off the floor in Vegas.

I think he is a natural sf who already has an NBA body.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#156 » by Dogen » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:30 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Either:

or

his offense looked behind his defense because he's a PG with the ball in his hands and we played him off ball because we were showcasing Edwards and Pritchard. He won't ever shine and reach his potential if we don't let him play his natural PG position where he could eventually become like SGA if given the chance. His length, size and athleticism give his defense a very high floor and I'm not worried about that side of the ball. He'll likely be able to switch 1-4 like Smart does. He won't get minutes here so no point in him being over here and starting his clock tbh

SGA is a great comparison. That would be an absolute steal.

I can see some similarities from the limited sample, with SGA being of course a much more polished product, all around talent, and very fluid with the ball. But Begarin has a nice brute force sort of vibe, maybe a little Westbrook in him. Seems to like to drive hard to the basket even though I think during summer league he was trying to fit in an be more of a complimentary player.
Hey you! Can we come together?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#157 » by playa-hater » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:01 am

Since this thread was bumped up and with all due respect to J Morgan and A Brown, I like J Begarin more. He should be on this year's team, even as a 2 way or maybe even better.

Damn you Stevens, you make me want to build a statue for everything else just so I can tear it down for this.

I still say learning from watching Tatum-Brown-PP-Nesmith and whomever else UP CLOSE and playing in between G-league and the NBA > some far off land..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
cl2117
General Manager

Post#158 » by cl2117 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:11 am

Dogen wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I agree with most of this. and while i agree that in summer league (and also at the G-league elite camp scrimmages) it appeared as though his defense was better than his offense, from the footage I watched of him playing in France, it was the opposite. Why is that?

Either:

or

SGA is a great comparison. That would be an absolute steal.

I can see some similarities from the limited sample, with SGA being of course a much more polished product, all around talent, and very fluid with the ball. But Begarin has a nice brute force sort of vibe, maybe a little Westbrook in him. Seems to like to drive hard to the basket even though I think during summer league he was trying to fit in an be more of a complimentary player.

I don't think he has the handles to run the point like SGA. Would be amazing if he developed those skills, but think he's far more of a combo guard. Gives me vibes of other big wing Euro guys like Thabo, TLC, Lu Dort. Good lengthy defense and projects on offense.

With Pritchard and Yam, I think it makes sense to try and develop him in the vein of those guys big Euro wings instead. Don't need another PG prospect, but a big defensive wing would pair well with those other guys. I think Romeo gets moved or leaves as a FA eventually with us not picking up his 5th year option, so he's a bargain version to have in the pipeline.
cl2117
General Manager

Post#159 » by cl2117 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:22 am

playa-hater wrote:Since this thread was bumped up and with all due respect to J Morgan and A Brown, I like J Begarin more. He should be on this year's team, even as a 2 way or maybe even better.

Damn you Stevens, you make me want to build a statue for everything else just so I can tear it down for this.

I still say learning from watching Tatum-Brown-PP-Nesmith and whomever else UP CLOSE and playing in between G-league and the NBA > some far off land..

It's better asset management to stash these guys. They still can develop, albeit at a lower level, and C's don't have to manage their situation the same way you would with a 2 way guy. It's a win-win.

He gets another year of seasoning abroad and then we can decide next year whether he warrants an actual roster spot or 2 way. No sense overcomplicating things for the 45th pick in the draft.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#160 » by Hal14 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:58 pm

cl2117 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Since this thread was bumped up and with all due respect to J Morgan and A Brown, I like J Begarin more. He should be on this year's team, even as a 2 way or maybe even better.

It's better asset management to stash these guys. They still can develop, albeit at a lower level, and C's don't have to manage their situation the same way you would with a 2 way guy. It's a win-win.

He gets another year of seasoning abroad and then we can decide next year whether he warrants an actual roster spot or 2 way. No sense overcomplicating things for the 45th pick in the draft.

Yes. It makes more sense to stash Begarin until he's fully ready to contribute to the team. Keep in mind he literally just turned 19 and last season played in France's B League so it'd be too big of a jump to go right from France B League to NBA. This upcoming season he will be playing in France A League so it is a much smoother, more natural transition to go from France B League to France A League to NBA.

Not to mention you wait as long as possible to bring him over to the Celtics because you don't want to "start the clock" on his rookie contract too early. By Waiting until he's fully ready to bring him over, you maximize the value of the dirt cheap rookie contract. You wait 1-2 yrs to bring him over and now you have a legit valuable contributor off the bench, an 8th or even 7th man giving value on both ends of the floor on a dirt cheap rookie contract and possibly even starting for you by then end of the rookie contract. You bring him to Boston now? You've got the 15th guy on the team on a rookie contract, wasting away, sitting on the bench, not getting any minutes to further his development and maybe by the end of the dirt cheap rookie contract he can start contributing valuable mins off the bench.

Lastly, as of today Hauser is the only guy on our g-league team. Based on the way the offseason has gone, every team out there is doing their absolute best to maximize their 15 man roster and get as much talent as possible on their 15 man roster. It appears as though pretty much all of the talent is going to be on the 15 man rosters. We have no idea how competitive the g-league will be this year. We don't know how much talent will be in the G-league. All we know is, the C's will have hauser. The Lakers will have some combination of Ayayi, Reeves and McClung. Guys like Moses Wright and AJ Lawson will be playing for someone. It's basically the scraps left over who couldn't make an NBA roster, and a bunch of guys who were good college players last year but didn't get drafted or were late 2nd round picks. Oh and the G-league ignite team should have a few good prospects out of high school again who could be lottery picks next year. There's a good chance that France A league that Begarin will play in will be just as good (probably better) competition this year than g-league.

France won the silver medal in the Olympics - yes that was largely because of Gobert and Fournier but clearly they have a bunch of other dudes in that country who can play and are likely playing in France A league.

The other reason you want to wait before starting the clock on a guy's rookie contract until they're ready is because if you start the clock too early, well now you're being forced to make a decision about whether to extend the player or resign them - you're having to decide their long term future with the team before that kid is even old enough to legally drink - before he has had enough time to develop and prove he deserves a long term spot on the team.

Return to Boston Celtics