Gordon re-signs with the nuggets !

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,898

Re: Gordon re-signs with the nuggets ! 

Post#61 » by BigGargamel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Jokic/Murray/Porter/Gordon is a nice core. All four are young. Should be well and good once the Lakers fall apart.

Denver develops draft picks quite well so they always have a nice, young cheap bench.

I'm quite excited. Just please, everyone STAY HEALTHY!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,180

Post#62 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:01 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i like Gordon, just don't really see what his role his next to Jokic/MPJ if he's not gonna be the glue guy/defensive guy, there is pretty 0 rim protection right now between the 3 of them, so not sure what the plan is here.

This is the plan
Read on Twitter
?s=20
OrlMagic05 wrote:

what's the rating in the POs? because I don't see that front court scaling at all, one of the worst defensive front courts in the NBA, and i don't think Jokic being such a freak will make up for it when push comes to shove in the POs.

where is the rim protection gonna come from?
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,227

Post#63 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:18 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:They already have PJ Dozier who is among the best perimeter defenders by majority of advanced stats and eye test.

Yeah I'd like Dozier more if he could shoot or contribute something on offense. I've seen him have good games and bad. He looks like a low-skill small forward but his weight/strength makes him more of a 2. (Wasn't he kind of a playmaking combo guard in college?). He's got long arms, but also a long neck that makes him taller than he plays. I don't quite buy him yet as a definite NBA rotation guy. If he takes a step forward as a shooter, I could see him as that 5th starter.

On offense he was PG averaging 21.4/7.6/7.7 in G-league 2 years ago. Can handle a ball as secondary ballhandler, can cut and has good synergy with Jokic. He was shooting 45.7/39.2/60.5 pre all-star and 39.5/27.6/67.9 post all-star when he had lot of injuries. If he can shoot on the level he was pre all-star, he can be a missing link, if not then he may not be definite NBA rotation guy.

Glad to hear there's optimism about him from a Nuggets fan. I wasn't really sure how to categorize his potential. Somestimes he looks like a game changer and other times he looks like a scrub.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,217

Post#64 » by Dan Z » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 pm

Contracts are crazy in the NBA right now and this one doesn't surprise me.

The biggest issue for the Nuggets going forward is how Jamal Murray recovers from his injury.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,643

Post#65 » by PlatinumState » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:32 pm

No way this doesnt backfire in some way down the line
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,502

Post#66 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:38 pm

Good for him, but I am really happy it's not Orlando which is paying him this kind of money. He's a great fit in Denver but I still think it's an overpay.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#67 » by jehosafats » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:41 pm

They seriously evaluated his pedestrian game last season and said let us gift you a $92 million contract?
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#68 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 pm

Not particularly liking the contract but he isn't a bad fit for them and actually a good compliment to MPJ. Draymond in comparison is making about 25-26 mill per and everyone hated that one but it doesnt seem as bad now.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,667

Post#69 » by Pointgod » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:34 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:Player option isn't great but overall it's a solid deal for Denver.
I don't get people who think all these contracts are awful. Can only surmise they aren't very familiar with how the CBA works.
Denver is going to be operating over the tax, so whether they resigned Gordon or not they would find it difficult to upgrade their roster.
Resigning him at what looks like market value to me is a no brainer.

Yeah it’s always funny when you see these general board reactionaries yelling about contract price for a team over the cap. I don’t care about this contract, I just don’t think Gordon is a particularly great player but the Nuggets have to ask themselves two questions:

1) Is paying Gordon at that price better than finding an alternative in the free agent market?
2) Are they willing to operate in the luxury tax considering that MPJ is up for an extension.

If the answer to both questions is yes, then this isn’t a bad move but if they start using 1st round picks to save salary then it will be traced back to this decision.
garlic
Freshman
And1: 139

Post#70 » by garlic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:18 am

In a vacuum it's a lot of money, but we're not talking about a vacuum. For that short period before the Murray injury, the Nuggets looked like they'd joined the very top tier of contenders. They have the MVP and pending an MPJ resigning everyone expects, they're not pulling punches in pursuing a title.

Who exactly are they supposed to replace him with? Who is a realistic name? People are panning the deal and made some random player comparisons but no one has given an alternative actually available to the Nuggets. Add in how Gordon has bought in and I think you'd be playing a _very_ risky game letting him walk or planning a trade.

I believe keeping this starting 5 is the most obvious way for Denver to maximize their championship window with Jokic. It may not pan out but as a fan I appreciate the front office striking while the iron is hot.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,663

Post#71 » by basketballRob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:14 am

I'm just wondering how the Nuggets pay everyone? MPJ is a max player. If the Nuggets don't extend him, another team will offer him the max. That would put the Nuggets like 30m into the tax.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,307

Post#72 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:19 am

I’m not a huge Gordon fan but I think Grant gets seriously overrated. His volume stats jumped last year but his efficiency was awful and it clearly painted the picture of a player trying to outplay his role and stumbling plenty along the way.

Gordon is overpaid, but I don’t think he’s much of a downgrade to Grant. I think Denver will find better ways to utilize Gordon next year with a full offseason as well.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,307

Post#73 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:23 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
Yeah I'd like Dozier more if he could shoot or contribute something on offense. I've seen him have good games and bad. He looks like a low-skill small forward but his weight/strength makes him more of a 2. (Wasn't he kind of a playmaking combo guard in college?). He's got long arms, but also a long neck that makes him taller than he plays. I don't quite buy him yet as a definite NBA rotation guy. If he takes a step forward as a shooter, I could see him as that 5th starter.

On offense he was PG averaging 21.4/7.6/7.7 in G-league 2 years ago. Can handle a ball as secondary ballhandler, can cut and has good synergy with Jokic. He was shooting 45.7/39.2/60.5 pre all-star and 39.5/27.6/67.9 post all-star when he had lot of injuries. If he can shoot on the level he was pre all-star, he can be a missing link, if not then he may not be definite NBA rotation guy.

Glad to hear there's optimism about him from a Nuggets fan. I wasn't really sure how to categorize his potential. Somestimes he looks like a game changer and other times he looks like a scrub.

I do think he’s a good fit with Jokic. There was a play at the end of the first half C’s the Rockets when Jokic throws a full court pass to Dozier with a second or two on the clock after a made free throw. Those two certainly play off of each other well. If he improves his perimeter shooting a tad, he could really pay dividends with Murray out.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,704

Post#74 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 am

nomansland wrote:
kenwood3333 wrote:And they let Jerami Grant walk for 60m/3 yr.

No, he left for Detroit for the same amount of money because he didn't want to be a 4th option on offense.

This is the same story with Brogdon and the Bucks. You'll be repeating this to the General Board for years and still get ignored by the hot take artists.

Seems a good extension. Nuggets need an athletic defensive 4 who can finish, hoping to him improve his connection with Jokic on offense this season.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#75 » by Antinomy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:09 am

psimanic1 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:How are they going to be able to keep that team together. You have to think that someone will throw a max deal at MPJ next summer. Once they resign Jokic as well they will have close to 137 million dollars committed to 5 players.

MPJ will also be extended this summer, I've read somewhere it's around 100/4 with possibility to get to Max if he fulfills some contract options, health probably...

$100M? Lol. not a chance.

He’s getting atleast $140-150M.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 4,986

Post#76 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:18 am

Bornstellar wrote:23 million for a fourth option seems steep
Yes!
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,388

Post#77 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:35 am

4/80M would have been my limit. Maybe add a 1M per year bonus if he makes an All Defense team
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,721

Post#78 » by naabzor » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:48 am

Well it was his first year with the Nuggets and Murray was out so it is reasonable that he is going to improve his plays this year. Lot of money but they have a shot at the title even if Nets, Lakers build superteams so it is going to be tough. I think what really is going to make a difference is MPJ more than Gordon: if MPJ continue to improve they have a really solid contender otherwise this big contract on Gordon is going to stuck them in no mans land.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#79 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:53 am

BigGargamel wrote:Jokic/Murray/Porter/Gordon is a nice core. All four are young. Should be well and good once the Lakers fall apart.

Denver develops draft picks quite well so they always have a nice, young cheap bench.

I'm quite excited. Just please, everyone STAY HEALTHY!

gordon is only good signing bc of top 3 options. his signing itself is terrible gave up pick and overpaid and im one of his biggest fans. i would have liked 4/80 contract with incentives depending on finals run. while im big fan of the core, they werent even close to championships and this is their peak considering murray, jokic is already in their prime. mpj will have to put up 30 ppg to make up for their fall.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Post#80 » by theonlyclutch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 am

SF_Warriors wrote:Not particularly liking the contract but he isn't a bad fit for them and actually a good compliment to MPJ. Draymond in comparison is making about 25-26 mill per and everyone hated that one but it doesnt seem as bad now.

Draymond was/is a far better defender than AG and was also partially rewarded for being a key part of GSW's dominance while under a cheaper contract. Not so the case with AG now.
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar

Return to The General Board