Vic Yama - best shot blocking prospect of all time?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,068

Re: Vic Yama - best shot blocking prospect of all time? 

Post#41 » by sisibilio » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:27 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:If that clip is anything to go off he looks slow, uncoordinated and he’s blocking guys that look like they’re 6ft tall

I don’t see him getting decent minutes in the NBA, so…no

;t=815s
Slow and uncoordinated indeed.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,598

Post#42 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:42 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:I don’t see him getting decent minutes in the NBA, so…no

Fascinating opinion considering he is regarded to be best basketball prospect in the world right now.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#43 » by Optms » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Emeka Okafor, Varnado and Hasheem Thabeet all deserve a mention. They didn't have great shot blocking careers in the league but as prospects, they were GOAT prospect level shot blockers and just as good as guys like AD or Mutumbo. They just weren't as good as overall prospects.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#44 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:14 pm

Optms wrote:Emeka Okafor, Varnado and Hasheem Thabeet all deserve a mention. They didn't have great shot blocking careers in the league but as prospects, they were GOAT prospect level shot blockers and just as good as guys like AD or Mutumbo. They just weren't as good as overall prospects.

Oumar Ballo reminds me of young Emeka Okafor very much. Victor is more like Gobert, will be most dominant defender in the league for sure if stays healthy.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#45 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:If that clip is anything to go off he looks slow, uncoordinated and he’s blocking guys that look like they’re 6ft tall

lol, quite the take considering he's the assumed #1 overall pick in 2023 draft and is considered one of the best prospects we've seen the last 2 decades, maybe up there with the ADs, KDs and Zions.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#46 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:53 pm

How anyone can watch this kid and not think he gets NBA minutes is beyond me.

I would wager that he is on the Zion / AD / KD tier by the time he is draft eligible. He is a unicorn. A 3PT shooting Ralph Sampson.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#47 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:55 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:I don’t see him getting decent minutes in the NBA, so…no

Fascinating opinion considering he is regarded to be best basketball prospect in the world right now.

yup, and that includes better than Emoni Bates, Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, DeJuan Wagner.

almost everyone in the draft community would take this guy over them right now if they had their choice.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#48 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:43 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:How anyone can watch this kid and not think he gets NBA minutes is beyond me.

I would wager that he is on the Zion / AD / KD tier by the time he is draft eligible. He is a unicorn. A 3PT shooting Ralph Sampson.

Lets hold our horses a bit, right now he is all defense, his O game needs a lot of work, even in U19 his scoring sucked tho he was only 17. He transfered to Tony Parker's Euroleague team and should debut in the Euroleague this season, hope he gets minutes and cant wait to see that.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,904

Post#49 » by BigGargamel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:15 pm

People don't understand the term "prospect" that OP is talking about.

Someone said Mark Eaton. WAT.

This guy is the top basketball prospect in the world. Prospects still have to be developed and pan out, but the size, scoring potential, defense, athleticism, reach, measurables. He was created in a basketball lab. He'd be the top pick in 2022 if he was eligible.
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#50 » by FreeThrowLine » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:

lol, quite the take considering he's the assumed #1 overall pick in 2023 draft and is considered one of the best prospects we've seen the last 2 decades, maybe up there with the ADs, KDs and Zions.

Did you really lol?

I don’t care what he’s assumed, have you never seen these predictions fail massively? Should I just be a sheep and think a certain way because others do? No thanks, from what I saw I wasn’t impressed. Feel free to bookmark and call me out if I’m wrong
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,550

Post#51 » by BarbaGrizz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 am

People are doing to Yama the same they did to Luka....just saying....
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#52 » by whitehops » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:08 am

all sources i've read have him as having a 7'8 - 7'10 wingspan... that's insane.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#53 » by God Squad » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 am

This kid is legit and deserves all the hype. Lets see how he'll develop his offense and body.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 440

Post#54 » by Doug_12 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:33 am

clyde21 wrote:posting it here to get a little more eyes on this guy considering it's the off season...but is Yama the best shot blocking prospect of all time?

dude is 7-3...and a legit 7-3...here is he next to Chet Holmgren who's a legit 7-footer and he looks absolutely monstrous next to him:

dude averaged 5.7 blocks per game in U19s:

Read on Twitter

thoughts? anyone else that comes to mind the could be a better shot blocking prospect? maybe Anthony Davis?

Greg Oden was definitely a better one. He was told to be the next Bill Russell...

Thabeet was also seen as someone who can change the game defensively.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#55 » by UcanUwill » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:57 pm

So, it has been a young Euroleague season, and I write this as I watch Victor's best scoring performance so far - 8 points, he has hit 2 open 3s, but beside that, man is his offense is non existent so far. He cant do anything right now, on all possessions, he plays kinda like Andre Blatche does for Phillipines, he is just 8+ meters away from the basket without the ball, floating, waiting to maybe get the ball and chuck a 3, he is not contributing at all. He is 7'4 but is furthest player from the paint as you will ever get, this kid is at least 4 year project, and I know he is defensive prospect, and when he catches opponents floater sometimes its nice, but kid is so weak he gets destroyed. This young man really needs to get on Giannis' do you even lift bro program like right now.
Thats why I said anyone can bust. Victor was easily better than Holmgren in U19, and Holmgrem might go No 1 this year. How unready would Holmgren, another matchstick man, would look if you threw him against best Euro pros,.. or, NBA pros? These kids are so talented, that once they get in the NBA, at some point it clicks for them and they catch up with the league, but honestly none of these teennagers are NBA material (outside Doncic in the past few decades), and if by chance they just dont get to click, they can bust no matter how good they looked against other kids.

Return to The General Board