ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 262 Oliveira vs Chandler (for Khabib's vacant title), Ferguson vs Dariush 

Post#1841 » by HighRyzer83 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:03 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
j4remi wrote:Paddy Pimblett came through with the goods. First round knockout without showing his bread and butter grappling, got in some trouble because of his style but nothing too crazy. And he had a great post-fight interview.

Yeah something about that kid is super exciting.

He's another Brit with a big fooking mouth. :lol:

Seriously, who's Dana going to feed him to build him back up after his loss to Bak? I don't know too many, if any, fighters from that area who have made it as wrestlers. I'll definitely be interested is see if he can come bak (get it? lol) after this loss.

OT: BTW anyone here ever deal with flexor tendon injury over the lower knuckle?

Bak is a legit tough vet but paddy almost stopped him in the first then gassed bad in the 5th and got out grappled. None of that would happen now, paddy would crush Bak.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,625

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 262 Oliveira vs Chandler (for Khabib's vacant title), Ferguson vs Dariush 

Post#1842 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:14 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:Yeah something about that kid is super exciting.

Seriously, who's Dana going to feed him to build him back up after his loss to Bak? I don't know too many, if any, fighters from that area who have made it as wrestlers. I'll definitely be interested is see if he can come bak (get it? lol) after this loss.

Bak is a legit tough vet but paddy almost stopped him in the first then gassed bad in the 5th and got out grappled. None of that would happen now, paddy would crush Bak.

Didn't that fight happen just a couple of weeks ago? What could've changed between then and now?
Free Palestine
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#1843 » by HighRyzer83 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:32 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Didn't that fight happen just a couple of weeks ago? What could've changed between then and now?

Nah wingo, he fought Bak over 3 years ago at CW96. You're thinking of his fight with Luigi which was 11 days ago.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1844 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:28 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:Bak is a legit tough vet but paddy almost stopped him in the first then gassed bad in the 5th and got out grappled. None of that would happen now, paddy would crush Bak.

Nah wingo, he fought Bak over 3 years ago at CW96. You're thinking of his fight with Luigi which was 11 days ago.

I was watching on YouTube and must’ve pulled up the wrong fight. Wingo was buzzed. :lol:
Free Palestine
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#1845 » by HighRyzer83 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:31 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I was watching on YouTube and must’ve pulled up the wrong fight. Wingo was buzzed. :lol:

You're getting old brother :wink:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,490

Post#1846 » by j4remi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Not particularly enthusiastic about tomorrow's card. I never was a fan of Smith and I think Spann is a middling prospect at best. Cutelaba is usually fun but again, limited ceiling. But there are two prospects worth watching in Joaquin Buckley (he of the highlight reel spinning KO last year) and Arman Tsaryukan. Buckley is explosive and fun to watch, Tsaryukan gave Islam Makchaev a competitive war unlike anyone else.

In other news, One FC has a crazy card filling in. Mighty Mouse vs Rodtang in a hybrid match. They'll alternate Muay Thai and MMA rules in each round. Rodtang is an incredible striker but I think DJ should be able to survive a round and then chase a submission in the second. Then we get John Lineker (no clue why the UFC let him walk even with some weight cut issues) vs Bibiano Fernandes. That's not until December though.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1847 » by j4remi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:55 pm

I completely forgot that Yoel Romero premiers for Bellator tonight! Romero's fighting Phil Davis, which is one hell of a match-up between two quality wrestlers. Davis is bigger, Romero better technically and more explosive. I'm excited for it. Neiman Gracie and Saul Rogers are on that card too, both pretty entertaining fighters to watch rock. Gracie jiu jitsu is always entertaining, Rogers was a prospect I really liked out of TUF but he seems to have stagnated in recent years (still pretty damned good though).

edit: btw it's on Showtime tonight.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#1848 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 am

j4remi wrote:I completely forgot that Yoel Romero premiers for Bellator tonight! Romero's fighting Phil Davis, which is one hell of a match-up between two quality wrestlers. Davis is bigger, Romero better technically and more explosive. I'm excited for it. Neiman Gracie and Saul Rogers are on that card too, both pretty entertaining fighters to watch rock. Gracie jiu jitsu is always entertaining, Rogers was a prospect I really liked out of TUF but he seems to have stagnated in recent years (still pretty damned good though).

Can you really even call Romero a wrestler anymore...

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1849 » by j4remi » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:04 am

bringbackhoffa wrote:
j4remi wrote:I completely forgot that Yoel Romero premiers for Bellator tonight! Romero's fighting Phil Davis, which is one hell of a match-up between two quality wrestlers. Davis is bigger, Romero better technically and more explosive. I'm excited for it. Neiman Gracie and Saul Rogers are on that card too, both pretty entertaining fighters to watch rock. Gracie jiu jitsu is always entertaining, Rogers was a prospect I really liked out of TUF but he seems to have stagnated in recent years (still pretty damned good though).

Can you really even call Romero a wrestler anymore...

I think we'll find out tonight tbh.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#1850 » by Little Italia » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:23 am

Romero looking fat, slow, and old. Time to hang it up, Soldier of God

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1851 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:35 am

Little Italia wrote:Romero looking fat, slow, and old. Time to hang it up, Soldier of God

I enjoyed that Gracie vs. Keefe fight. Gracie started off looking like garbage but by the end of the fight was looking like Muhammad Ali. It's like all that training that he's been through clicked on mid-fight. It's a shame that Gracie didn't have the confidence to do more in the 2nd round. Also, I kept on waiting for him to go for a take down during the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1852 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Little Italia wrote:Romero looking fat, slow, and old. Time to hang it up, Soldier of God

He's also claiming that he thought it was a 5 round fight as if that's an excuse. Dude signed a contract, did a full camp, had coaches in his corner...and nobody told him the fight was three rounds? Dude did a Woodley vs Paul impersonation; no kinda action.

Props to Davis too. He did a sort of modified Whitaker strategy, starting with low kicks and switching to the jab when he realized he could get away with it. The level changes in the third were nice and really well timed.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1853 » by j4remi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:33 pm

So UFC 266 is Saturday and I'll write more about it when I get time later this week...it's stacked.

But there's worrisome news and rumors surrounding the fight I think most people are hype for. Nick Diaz and Robbie Lawler are having a rematch of their absolute classic (seriously, if you haven't seen it then get a chance to sit and watch two all-timers SCRAP as up and coming prospects). That fight was originally scheduled for welterweight but just yesterday got bumped up to Middleweight...a fight-week change to the weight class? Not a good sign. That usually means someone is injured or otherwise has circumstances that keep them from being able to properly cut.
...And that's where Josh Thompson comes in. Shout out to the Weasle for covering this because I don't typically pay much attention to Josh and Big John's stuff (no hate, I just prefer a couple of others and only have finite time for MMA coverage). Thompson is claiming that he and Big John have seen a video of Nick Diaz sparring and something happens that is bad enough for Josh to be saying things like "I hope he can still make it to the fight." Thompson says it's a private video that'll never see the light of day and he shouldn't have ever brought it up. I agree with Weasle; it sounds like Nick got slept in sparring or otherwise some kinda bad injury occurred.

Anyway, there's always a chance that Thompson is just exaggerating something minor to grab some extra views; but I don't think he'd do that. The weight class change is enough evidence to really make this worrisome for a fight that has dominated my discussions with MMA friends the past couple weeks. We grew up watching Nick and we've been talking about who next for him from Masvidal to avenge Nate to Jake Paul..maybe we got ahead of ourselves.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#1854 » by bringbackhoffa » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:17 pm

j4remi wrote:So UFC 266 is Saturday and I'll write more about it when I get time later this week...it's stacked.

But there's worrisome news and rumors surrounding the fight I think most people are hype for. Nick Diaz and Robbie Lawler are having a rematch of their absolute classic (seriously, if you haven't seen it then get a chance to sit and watch two all-timers SCRAP as up and coming prospects). That fight was originally scheduled for welterweight but just yesterday got bumped up to Middleweight...a fight-week change to the weight class? Not a good sign. That usually means someone is injured or otherwise has circumstances that keep them from being able to properly cut.
...And that's where Josh Thompson comes in. Shout out to the Weasle for covering this because I don't typically pay much attention to Josh and Big John's stuff (no hate, I just prefer a couple of others and only have finite time for MMA coverage). Thompson is claiming that he and Big John have seen a video of Nick Diaz sparring and something happens that is bad enough for Josh to be saying things like "I hope he can still make it to the fight." Thompson says it's a private video that'll never see the light of day and he shouldn't have ever brought it up. I agree with Weasle; it sounds like Nick got slept in sparring or otherwise some kinda bad injury occurred.

Anyway, there's always a chance that Thompson is just exaggerating something minor to grab some extra views; but I don't think he'd do that. The weight class change is enough evidence to really make this worrisome for a fight that has dominated my discussions with MMA friends the past couple weeks. We grew up watching Nick and we've been talking about who next for him from Masvidal to avenge Nate to Jake Paul..maybe we got ahead of ourselves.

Card is strong to begin with, Wouldnt mind them pushing the fight 60 to 90 days. Unless its something minor then i dont want Nick getting bored and taking it easy for a couple of months like Nate kind of did when his last fight got delayed a month

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1855 » by j4remi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:24 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
Card is strong to begin with, Wouldnt mind them pushing the fight 60 to 90 days. Unless its something minor then i dont want Nick getting bored and taking it easy for a couple of months like Nate kind of did when his last fight got delayed a month

The Diaz bros are so tricky because they could be BS'ing or playing for negotiation or just grabbing attention...but they also could be really dealing with some ish (I think it was the RDA fight where Nate went in with a bad injury undisclosed). But I want real Nick back and not an injury plagued or out of shape version for sure!
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1856 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:34 am

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:

The Diaz bros are so tricky because they could be BS'ing or playing for negotiation or just grabbing attention...but they also could be really dealing with some ish (I think it was the RDA fight where Nate went in with a bad injury undisclosed). But I want real Nick back and not an injury plagued or out of shape version for sure!

The Weasel says they’re going up to 185
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1857 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 am

This is hysterical. So The Count was down in New Orleans on Bourbon Street with his wife and kids recently on a family trip. While they're walking around enjoying the strip, he sees a band with some people dancing and starts filming. While he's doing that, a guy who apparently has a criminal history and doesn't want to be filmed, walked up to The Count and objected. This is what happens.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1858 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:25 pm

Jon Jones just got arrested on domestic violence charges. I kid you not.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1859 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:54 pm

Where is The Amazing Remidamus with the prognostications?
Free Palestine
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#1860 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:57 pm

Joshua could be losing this but the UK judges likely screw Usyk

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

Return to New York Knicks